z hunter 03-Feb-17
non typ 03-Feb-17
crestedbutte 03-Feb-17
pccmizuno24 05-Mar-17
pccmizuno24 05-Mar-17
Matt Palmquist 06-Mar-17
12-Sep-16
It's that time.

Aaron, hope you get us started with what your girls accomplished, please.

12-Sep-16

NOCROSSBOW's embedded Photo
NOCROSSBOW's embedded Photo

12-Sep-16
Wow, what a set of brow tines. Great rack right there! Congrats, sounds like you done it right.

13-Sep-16
Wow what a deer. This is a really cool buck with those brows.

13-Sep-16

AaronShort's embedded Photo
Here is Savannah with her first deer. It was an 11 yard shot with a 150 yard recovery. Taken 9/11/16 at 9am, her second day in the stand.

13-Sep-16

Here is Emileigh with her first deer. It was a 10 yard heart shot with a 30 yard recovery. Taken 9/11/16 at 9:15am, her second day in the stand. She couldn't be out done by big Sis!

13-Sep-16

A big thanks to by life long hunting buddy Mike for all his help setting up stands and sitting with Savannah. These two girls made bow hunting look easy!

17-Sep-16
Love seeing kids able to enjoy the outdoors. Great deer everyone!

17-Sep-16
Love seeing kids able to enjoy the outdoors. Great deer everyone!

17-Sep-16
A. Short - outstanding job Sir. You have how many youth bowhunters? I have trouble getting one youth out with a bow per season......and you sir are taking them and putting them on deer. Great stuff.

17-Sep-16
That's a huge buck for sure- one likely never to be beat by that kid again. The name sounds familiar. I think his dad sells real estate for Whitetail Properties and sold my neighbor's land. I'm sure he has access to some of the best deer hunting in the state.

18-Sep-16
That kid has a deer of a lifetime and it would be great to hear about any history of this deer. Was it a scouted deer knew about before hand? Was it on his uncle's back 40 or a tract of land managed for deer? However any way you look at it this young man was blessed to harvest a great animal. Young man if you happen to ever read this congrats buddy.

18-Sep-16

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Matt, that's pretty much covered in the long caption with the pic...had the deer for several years, made 11 hunts including some all day sits, land was managed for deer....

It's about all there.

Guy I know got his kid on a great buck the last weekend of youth season. He had the buck scouted and patterned and couldn't find a kid to go. Finally-a co-worker mentions he's trying to get his boy out. Family is up to their hairlines helping the boys mom deal with some nasty cancer so time and money are both in short supply.

Guy I know took the kid out and they got the buck. Pretty funny hunt. I hope to write it up.

18-Sep-16
May not be able to publish the pic because the tongue is so obvious.

It's cost me some great stories, because people don't pull out a pocket knife, cut and toss the danged things away.

Frustrating.

18-Sep-16
Mike....in about 5 min. my wife (who is a graphic designer) could have that tongue gone and the green soybean leaf next to it would fill in the space where the tongue was. I have her clean up my blood riddled hunting pics all the time. If needed, I would be glad to help you out with that....just PM or e-mail me. Great buck and happy for both the young man and his mentor!

18-Sep-16
You can usually tuck it in fairly easily. Or as has been said cut it out. Writer, would love to read the story!! Shawn

18-Sep-16
My bad as I did not read the fb post. Point I was trying to make be happy for the kid no matter what. We go again tonight with a kid that missed one. Hoping for better luck.

18-Sep-16
Good luck, Matte, Our bucks have gone nocturnal, so we'll have to wait a while before Jake and his buddy bowhunt.

18-Sep-16
Well the kid could not go tonight so I enjoyed a great dove hunt. It was a hard place to want to dove hunt as there is picked corn a creek and beans. Absolutely great deer herd in the area but when you go by and the powerlines are full you know it is the place to be.

18-Sep-16
As I described in print.......doves on the powerlines like barbs on a wire fence..

Glad you had a good one. Out west?

I saw a lot yesterday from Macksville to La Junta.

19-Sep-16

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Nope Harvey county

19-Sep-16
That looks like the cornfield in front of our new house. I'm sure it's not the same, but it gives me the idea maybe I better go out there and see if any birds are hitting it. My food plot has never had more than a dozen doves visiting but the quail are enjoying it.

21-Sep-16
Some great deer for these young hunters.

21-Sep-16
Hoping to report back by the weekend. Hunts with a young man Thursday, a buddy bringing his daughter Saturday and my Kadie will be on stand tonight. Hoping for some luck and cooler temps.

21-Sep-16
Good luck Matte, hope you go 3 for 3!

21-Sep-16
GREAT sit tonight. I think Kadie read 50 pages about her beloved bears (grizzly and Polar) and not one deer came down the beaten path. That is hunting though and even though no deer did I see the birds were singing the locust were focused and squirrel after a hedge apple kept my ears peeled.

21-Sep-16
That's what it's all about brother!

22-Sep-16

writer's Link
The story is almost bigger than the kid's buck....

22-Sep-16
Great story Michael! Thank you for sharing and those are the types of stories that motivate us all.

22-Sep-16
That was awesome story and a great ending. As I started to read about the worry of of a taxidermy bill iI was already thinking this kid needs it mounted. Great ending and it is a very touching story.

23-Sep-16
it's nice to see there are still good people in this world!!! Awesome story!

23-Sep-16
Thanks for the link Michael. Great story.

The Marr brothers sound like some great folks.

Nice to hear good things like that these days.

23-Sep-16
WOW; what a story and these Marr people are saints. A tip of the ol camo hat.

23-Sep-16
What, Dave....you mean guys who don't see big antlers as a way to build their bank account or ego?

Kind reminds you of 30 years ago, huh, and no kid lacked a hunting spot if he grew up in the country, or a small town.

23-Sep-16
Very Nice!! Shawn

24-Sep-16
Ya there is a guy who said he had a 200" deer on ground he leased and is trying to find a buyer for 6k.

24-Sep-16
And.....he will probably find a buyer. ):

25-Sep-16
Hey, we need some pronghorn pics on here.

I know at least two Bowsiters who have good pics of good bucks killed this weekend in western Kansas.

25-Sep-16
I do not know of any youth Pronghorn hunters. It would be very cool to see some youth pics of pronghorn hunts. Hope this rain ceases so Kadie and I can get in a hunt tonight at the Ponderosa.

25-Sep-16

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
Doing make up.

25-Sep-16
Good

25-Sep-16
Luck

25-Sep-16
Go get'em.

25-Sep-16
Same with here. Good night tonight just did not see the buck she is after.

25-Sep-16
Are those chickens?

25-Sep-16
That just means that she gets to spend more time with dad out in the woods.

25-Sep-16
To All

25-Sep-16
Kids

25-Sep-16
Hey, we're getting way off base here.

It's a harvest thread. I meant of kids with big game.

I'm going to have to start doing some edits or it's going to get too long if everybody puts a bunch of pics of their kids up.

Jason, those might be chukars from a preserve, but it's hard to see. I can't tell for sure, either, but I am almost legally blind.

26-Sep-16
That was my second guess. I haven't shot any of those in years.

26-Sep-16

Matt Palmquist's embedded Photo
Per Michael's request:) This buck came in from behind me as I was moving on the herd buck. Luckily I saw him in time and got turned around to focus my attention to him. He came right to the decoy, but I had to wait until he started to circle to get a shot in the tall grass. For those that care, the entry was slightly behind the shoulder and he must have spun or been a little more 1/4 to than I realized. That is the exit. He expired in seconds.

Matt

26-Sep-16
Ha-ha but your not a kid anymore. Nice try nice buck

26-Sep-16
Matt...archery kills for adults.

Any big game kills for kids.

28-Sep-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Thank you Kansas for the special disabled hunt.. First deer for my friend John with a compound bow since before he fell from a tree stand in 2004 and became parylized from the waist down. Very special bow hunt! C

28-Sep-16
Glad to see he is back at it Charlie! Good stuff!

02-Oct-16

bh4lf's embedded Photo
bh4lf's embedded Photo
Thought I would share my first ever elk. It happened on the first morning and the first bugle that we heard. It all happened so fast that I couldn't believe it. Shot him at 15 yards and he expired 150 yards from us. Thanks to my buddies calling for me. He came into a cow call on a string. Took me a little bit to compose myself but I made a good shot. We watched him go down. I was able to watch two monster Bulls fight and we were in elk almost every day. My buddy also shot his elk on our last day we were there and my other buddy missed on a giant elk. Oh well that's Hunting we all have missed one time or another. All in all it was an awesome hunt with great friend. Now it's time to get my son's deer tag filled. It needs to cool off a little more before we get to excited about deer season Good luck to everyone this year and safe hunting.

02-Oct-16

bh4lf's embedded Photo
bh4lf's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of both out Bulls. I'm not gonna post his pictures cause I don't know if he wants me to. Wish there would of been 3 Bulls but maybe next year. Still an awesome hunt to be able to fill 2 of the 3 tags and have a shot on the third

02-Oct-16
Great bull's Shawn, congrats on the first of many and good luck with the boy this Fall! Hollar when the geese start to hit the ground ;?)

02-Oct-16
I would say 2 out of 3 is very awesome.

02-Oct-16
Very awesome congrats bud.

02-Oct-16
Thanks everyone. I will give you a call Kyle when I start hunting them.

02-Oct-16
Great on the elk.

03-Oct-16
Congratulations. Sounds like a great trip!

08-Oct-16

Ruthless09's embedded Photo
Shot my first Doe this morning, 15 yard shot and 50 yard recovery, felt great to let an arrow go.

08-Oct-16
Nice work Dennis...it's on!

10-Oct-16
writer... what happened to the tongue on the kids deer? Did you find a photoshopper? Doesn't your newspaper have a full photoshopping department like the ones in the big towns?

Great story. Thanks for sharing the link.

12-Oct-16

EKH's embedded Photo
EKH's embedded Photo
Got my doe management taken care of since I can only shoot one doe this year where I hunt....need to take about 10. Oh well. Wishing I was not sitting behind a desk today, what a day to be out hunting!

15-Oct-16

Ksgobbler's embedded Photo
Ksgobbler's embedded Photo
I can get them to turn coming off my IPhone so if someone can do it for me Id appreciate it. First archery buck. Hit it a little back and we lost the blood. I kept at it and found him 48 hrs later but the coyotes had eaten everything. Made me sick but was glad to have the closure. Rough score is 163 1/8

17-Oct-16

renegade2828's embedded Photo
renegade2828's embedded Photo
Had an outstanding hunt last week!

24-Oct-16

phiatt's embedded Photo
phiatt's embedded Photo
Doe harvested Friday evening

30-Oct-16

non typ's embedded Photo
non typ's embedded Photo
My 14 yr old son shot his first DIY deer tonight without me. 15 yd shot to the E. she circled around on a 30 yd run and laid down 10 yd to the W of him so he "finished her off with 2 quick arrows. I told him when he shot his bear this spring with a gun "if you can shoot it again to do so".

05-Nov-16

doubledrop's embedded Photo
First off, this is a great thread and one that I enjoy following each season. It's crazy how fast our season can end after building it up all year. I can't begin to tell you how this all came together this morning. I had been second guessing a decision to pass on a great buck just last week that I think needs a chance to make it one more year. Another reason for passing is I knew I needed to try for this guy.

The thought of passing this buck I call "Cluster" crossed my mind but I decided I needed to try for him. I had trail cam photos of his typical side for quite some time and thought he was just a good clean typical. Three weeks ago I began to get him on the mock scrapes where I was finally able to see his nontypical side. He was beginning to come out closer to daylight and the Buck Fever Synthetics were really starting to set the stage. I still have not checked the most recent cards but I may have more pictures to add. He was too unique to pass.

I came off shift this morning from the firehouse and had to hustle to make it in but felt I was able to slip in pretty quiet, even with the lack of wind. The morning was nice and cool but extremely calm and the thermals had me a bit nervous. I had just stood up around 8:45 to stretch and was really thinking it was just going to be a beautiful but uneventful morning. I caught a glimpse of a buck behind some cedars behind me and as I went to put the binoculars on him, I quickly noticed I had another buck closing in and coming my way.

I quickly thought, "Cluster", and immediately knew it was him. He was obviously out cruising and his demeanor still has me in awe as he was out trolling just like we dream of in early November. The ground had a good dew on it and that explained why I hadn't heard them until they were right there. I quickly spun the camera around and filmed him work the scrape before he walked in to 20 yards and offered me a slightly quartering angle that I had to take due to limbs if he continued any further. The shot had me nervous thinking I may have been a touch low but it ended up being good. He mule kicked and ran roughly 100 yards when I heard him crash. The pictures show the exit and that is why it appears a touch back. It was tight to the shoulder on the entrance and the Havoc opened him up well.

It always amazes me that no matter how the action is, your season can literally change in a matter of seconds. Great timing for me and a great day spent with family and friends.

06-Nov-16
Great deer, congratulations

06-Nov-16
Great buck buddy! Like I said, he's a mess... but a cool mess!

06-Nov-16
Very Nice buck!! Congrats!! Shawn

06-Nov-16
Incredible buck DD. Congratulations!

06-Nov-16
Old soldier, nice work DD, congrats!

06-Nov-16

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Congrats Dylan! Incredible buck.

Good run for me thus far. Still an Eastern Plains hunt coming up.

Spot and stalk whitetails. Drop tine buck from SW Kansas on 11/2. South Dakota deer on 10/25.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the way!

06-Nov-16

non typ's embedded Photo
non typ's embedded Photo
Rattled him in about 745. Circled my doe decoy 25 yds

06-Nov-16
Outstanding bucks KB and Non Typ. Congratulations!

06-Nov-16
Thanks fellas and great bucks to all. Non typ he has great mass throughout and a heck of a frame. KB great pics and fantastic buck! It's about to turn up a notch. Had great chasing but was all young bucks tonight as I took my boy out for his turn.

08-Nov-16
Not the biggest buck Ive ever taken, but I'm thankful for him. Good luck to everyone the rest of the year.

-Hoytman

Also congrats to the real DoubleDrop. Thats a great buck and great story!

08-Nov-16

November 5th, 8:55AM

08-Nov-16
Awesome! Congrats, Hoytman! Too funny on the post. I still haven't heard back from admin on why you can't get your handle working. I will see what I can come up with. Good luck guys, I've been seeing some good action the past few days while on the road. Keep after it if it's slow, it will break. Right time, right place. Can change overnight.

09-Nov-16

Well shot this 11 point this morning, he came in fast and looked bigger than I thought originally, but still happy. 13 yard shot and 80 yard recovery. Good luck to all still after it.

09-Nov-16

One more with just bow.

09-Nov-16
Nice job Dennis, and congrats to all the other successful hunters!

09-Nov-16
Nice buck...

09-Nov-16
Congrats to everyone so far! This page should be on the brink of having lots of pics!!

11-Nov-16

mchunter's embedded Photo
Shot him Tuesday morning, but didn't find him until today. Bittersweet for the loss of venison, but thankful for the recovery! :)
mchunter's embedded Photo
Shot him Tuesday morning, but didn't find him until today. Bittersweet for the loss of venison, but thankful for the recovery! :)

11-Nov-16
Glad you found him. How much further has he traveled since that last spot you observed him? Did the arrow hit about where you had thought?

11-Nov-16
Brick, he had came back the direction he was shot. He went about 150 -200 yards farther and died about 20 yards over the property line. I received permission to check that property yesterday was how I found him. Yes, the shot was about 2 inches higher than I thought midway, and somehow exited just a couple inches lower, but farther back due to the slight angle he was facing. The entry hole is kind of visible in the pic. I was 20 feet high and he was 30 yards out, so I figured the exit would have been lower, but didn't happen that way. He was pretty rank, so I didn't want to inspect what was hit, but I am thinking liver since there was no gut matter on arrow. Entry and exits were too high for bleedout. So glad to have found him, because I was just sick! Thanks.

11-Nov-16
Good job getting permission and finding him, we all hate it when it goes the other way but it's happened to all bowhunters, and if you hear otherwise you've found a liar.

11-Nov-16
Thanks sitO. Very true!

11-Nov-16

Mad_Angler's embedded Photo
Mad_Angler's embedded Photo
I am very happy and proud to finally be able to add to this thread...

SW of Wichita. Killed Wednesday Nov 9.

I set up a ground blind in a spot I saw on google earth. About an hour later, a small buck chased a doe at full speed right past me. The doe seemed to running for her life. This buck was following like a bird dog about 2 minutes later...

11-Nov-16

bowman's embedded Photo
bowman's embedded Photo
Shot this doe this morning. She was spookier than a 180 buck but I got it done at 30 yds. She went aboit 100yds and piled up in a hedgerow. No to still try and fill my buck tag. No shooters yet within range but hoping to get a chance soon.

12-Nov-16

Tstrand13's embedded Photo
Been a tough season but finally got it done!

13-Nov-16

Bigfeet14's embedded Photo
Bigfeet14's embedded Photo
After not quite getting a shot the "one" the past couple years, I was happy when this guy gave me a chance!

13-Nov-16
Great deer folks! Bowman, any game animal with a recurve or longbow is a true accomplishment, congrats!

13-Nov-16

drbonner's embedded Photo
Got this 10 right at 7:00 this morning. Not the biggest in the world, but he's my best to date
drbonner's embedded Photo
Got this 10 right at 7:00 this morning. Not the biggest in the world, but he's my best to date

13-Nov-16
They hitting the ground now!!! Congrats....and keep em coming!!

14-Nov-16

Oakie's embedded Photo
Oakie's embedded Photo
Oakie's embedded Photo
Neck!
Oakie's embedded Photo
Neck!
Oakie's embedded Photo
Neck!!
Oakie's embedded Photo
Neck!!
Oakie's embedded Photo
Thank God for bar ditches.
Oakie's embedded Photo
Thank God for bar ditches.
My Kansas hunt lasted a day and 15 minutes this year. Kind of a weird, narrow rack on this buck. Coming in head on I wasn't real sure but when the doe bounced and he turned sideways I realized I was looking at the biggest bodied deer I've ever personally seen. Took him from the ground in cut milo.

Saw 25 deer the day before. 6 bucks. All slowly following and carefully bumping/herding does. Even the little guys were being polite.

14-Nov-16
Wow he's all swole up, congrats sir!

14-Nov-16

MBabs's embedded Photo
MBabs's embedded Photo
So glad to be able to contribute a buck to this thread this year! Marion public land, DIY, no corn. :)

Absolutely amazing morning up there with the fog cover. Just felt right going in. Saw many deer at first light just zipping through the fog like the ghosts they are.

Came in by his lonesome at 11:20 this morning while I was eating my sandwich. This is my biggest deer in my novice 5th season bowhunting.

14-Nov-16
11:20 great job, most of us are looking for the local Cafe at that time. You must have read the book. Congrats again on a great public land buck.

14-Nov-16

Shawn's embedded Photo
Not a,great pic. KANSAS 12PT
Shawn's embedded Photo

14-Nov-16

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
I will post better pic. when I get home. Shawn

15-Nov-16

crazyhawksfan's embedded Photo
Great deer everyone! Got lucky and stuck this guy yesterday morning. Came in tailing a doe and ended up coming directly under my stand with no shot opportunity. Once he got past my stand i tried shooting him as he was quartering away at 5 yards but had my arrow deflect off a twig and missed him clean. He didn't spook tho and jus continued on down the trail after the doe. I quick got down and checked my arrow just to be sure i had missed. I had. So climbed back up kicking myself i had blew the shot. Decided to grab the horns and rattle a bit to see if he'd come back. Sure enough not a minute after i started here he comes on a full trot. Circled down wind of me and came up to 15 yards. Just as I was fixing to queeze a shot off he either winded me or caught movement and wirled outa there. Joker only runs 15 yards or so and stops to look back. Just enough time to lean out and let one fly! Figured he was round 30 35 yards and was quartering away and the shot looked solid. Was worried it was maybe a lil high so gave him 3 hrs before we took up the trail. Only went 80 yards. Crazy emotional swings on this hunt! Haha. Super happy with him! Been blessed! Good luck to anyone still hunting!

15-Nov-16

15-Nov-16

One more bad picture..lol

15-Nov-16
Shawn are you sleeping with that deer? How was it?

16-Nov-16

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
Got lucky, came by at 5:00. 12 yards shot with javaman Elkhart longbow, east axis arrow with zwickey delta broadhead. He went about 30 yards after the arrow passed through his heart.

16-Nov-16
Hey Caley great buck! Lots of respect for you trad guys! Btw how wide was that guy?

16-Nov-16
Thanks sir, 21 1/8 if I remember right.

16-Nov-16
My kids asked for selfie and that's the best I could do. Shawn

16-Nov-16
Congrats everyone on some great deer.

16-Nov-16

Knock-Nock's embedded Photo
Knock-Nock's embedded Photo

Knock-Nock's Link
Here is the 9 pt I passed on November 4th and ended up shooting on November 15th not even realizing until today it was the same buck. 30 yard shot with a 2 inch NAP Killzone = 60 yard recovery. See link to the video from November 4th as he came into my decoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVDS71hquec

18-Nov-16

DB's embedded Photo
DB's embedded Photo
Taken on the morning of Nov 13 in NE KS at 7:15. Eerily similar to doubledrop's buck! At first light, I heard him snapping branches as he made his way off a glacial hill to my north and into the draw behind me. He stopped at 20 yards and stood motionless for 10 minutes, not giving me a shot. I turned over the bleat can in my pocket, and he took two steps and stopped again. Just then, a doe popped out of the field to the south and caught his attention: he grunted and sauntered by at five yards when I drew and shot. He made it 30 yards before he tipping over.

18-Nov-16
Great buck and video Nathan, love that stuff!

DB, that's a really unique buck, stud!

Congrats fellas

19-Nov-16

BV's embedded Photo
BV's embedded Photo
Made it happen last night. He made four appearances into the field dogging a doe from 4:20 until the time I shot him at 5:00 pm. Largest bow kill to date for me. Main frame 8 with two extra stickers at his base.

19-Nov-16
Sorry about the picture, can't figure out how to turn it.

19-Nov-16
Great buck bud, PM returned.

19-Nov-16

jessejames's embedded Photo
Today was pretty epic. First I got to help a friend get his first buck with a bow, and I saw it all go down from my stand. I will have to add the whole story sometime as it was pretty cool. To top it off last year I helped his wife get her first deer ever which happened to be a buck out of the exact same stand he was in. Then another buddy finally got an arrow in a once in a lifetime public land deer and I got to help him with the recovery and to take pictures! Well done fellas. I'm up next! Oh yeah...I almost forgot! My Jayhawks won a conference game!!

19-Nov-16
And the other!

19-Nov-16

19-Nov-16
sweet double drops

20-Nov-16

Shot my second doe for the year, 25 yard shot 70 yard recovery. Feels good after I have filled my freezer and now I start giving deer to someone who is going through hard times. Great deer so far everyone.

21-Nov-16

KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
KS Flatlander's embedded Photo
Shot this buck at 3:45 P today. Was in a hedgerow bordering a small meadow located between two cedar bedding areas. He went 35 yds. Like those Magnus black hornet heads....COC, good blade angle, 1-1/4 cut, and they fly good.

21-Nov-16

Lane and "Crook"
Lane and "Crook"
Lane, his brother, sister, and cousins
Lane, his brother, sister, and cousins
I really still can't believe it but my boy Lane, 8, just finished a magical season for us both. It's now late enough I just can't sleep and it's into November 21st but the evening of the 20th will forever be stamped in our memories. Lane nicknamed this buck "Crook" last year when he noticed he had crooked brows and a crooked G-2 on one side. We have had history with this deer on our small family farm for several years and I know he is for sure 5+ years old. Lane had set his sights for him last season, which was his first year of hunting with a crossbow or any weapon for that matter. As the year passed on Lane quickly found out why "Crook" had made it through several seasons prior. Lane gladly took his first deer, post rifle season with his crossbow and it was great to learn some lessons and still harvest a deer.

This season Lane said it was a mature buck or nothing and that he wanted to try for "Crook". I told him that might be easier said than done as he had found a way to survive and quite honestly we hadn't even laid eyes on him outside of our trail camera pictures. Lane had some great hunts this season and several very slow hunts as well. I'll just tell you that this hunt was action packed from the beginning. Lane and I both noticed how the woods just seemed alive and critters were chatting all evening. My dad made us realize those little things years ago on the farm and it is always a pleasure for me to see my kids enjoying those "little things". We had seen a doe mingling with a large group of turkeys but she was not being followed and she spent the evening nearby just dining on the abundance of acorns we were blessed with this season. About 30 minutes before dark a nice young buck came by and Lane got a little excited before we realized it was a buck he had already passed this year. I told him, lets make something happen and try a little blind rattling, which I'm not usually a fan of but I knew the rut was winding down and our hunts would be limited. I hadn't hit the rattle bag 2 seconds when Lane said, "Dad, another deer." He saved the day with that spot but I stopped and saw him very quickly and whispered to hold still as the buck had the location of the sound pinpointed and he was trying to find any movement. Luckily the plot is open around our stand but I planted milo between where the deer was and our location and there was Johnson grass growing well in parts which made our end of the field invisible to him.

He was taking his sweet time but as he worked the edge, I threw a grunt his way as I feared if he just followed the young buck he would end up headed out to the larger crop fields for the night and well out of range. He heard the grunts but slowly worked our way and kept eating acorns. I felt that he was about to give up on committing and I decided to try "The Can" estrous bleat followed by a grunt and that sealed the deal. I knew he wasn't with a doe but knew that might be the only reason he would want to investigate if he was fresh off of running himself ragged during the main rut.

As "Crook made his final approach, I knew he was going to offer a shot but the winds had died and I was nervous that he might pick us off with any slight movement in our shorter two man ladder stand. It blends in well in the early season but can be a bit of an issue from about mid November on. The buck angled into a good shooting lane between branches but I looked down and about freaked when I saw Lane had the crossbow sitting on the opening he had just walked past. I had helped him get setup there but was distracted from filming and whispering that "this is going to happen" and to "take your time", etc. In one motion I reached down and helped him move the crossbow while I kept the camera swinging. Just then, "Crook" came to alert but it was too late, Lane was on him and ready. I took my hand off the camera and said "when you are ready" and moments later Lane made a great shot. I was so pumped for him and we had an incredible night with family and friends recovering his #1 target. I still can't believe he's shot two bucks on our family farm and I have hunted their my entire life and have yet to shoot a buck off of it. It's been my baby and enjoy all the management and work that goes into taking care of the place. My dad has been gone 4 years now but I know he is right there with Lane and I as we have had some magical hunts together on the farm my dad loved so dearly.

Lane and I also had a moment to think about Addison and we talked about her a lot from the tree this fall. He was excited to be able honor her again with his arrow. Good luck to all of you still holding a tag. It can happen just like that.

21-Nov-16
John John John! What a brute buddy, you done good! Dylan that boy is living the dream, what a great teacher and and family he has, congrats my friend and thanks for sharing the story of "Crook"!

21-Nov-16

Hoythunter's embedded Photo
Hoythunter's embedded Photo
Was able to fill my tag on this guy on the morning of November 19. Came in to a doe decoy set up I had on the edge of cut beans. Great encounters with him and a few other bucks but he was the only one that gave me a good shot.

Dylan, great story and congrats on your successes this season. I spent most of this past weekend hunting with my 12 year old daughter, who was also holding out for a mature buck. Some of the best times I've ever had hunting were this weekend and she didn't even kill a deer. Today, she sent me a text message of a new phone cover she just got. It has a whitetail buck on the back of it. :-)

22-Nov-16
Congrats to you and your son Dylan, those are the moments we all dream about for our kids! Good work!

22-Nov-16

Acornhollow's embedded Photo
Acornhollow's embedded Photo
Second doe of the season. Passed up a decent buck yesterday, trying to hold out for a little bigger.

22-Nov-16
Doubledrop, Im getting a lot of messages that are for you. Im sorry, I don't know how to make it stop! Several people have PM'd you. You must be a heck of a guy!

Hoytman

22-Nov-16
Thanks for the heads up double double. I can't get admin to answer any messages I've sent. I guess it is season, I'll see if I can get a new handle as I see there is now another one with a capital D. So much for pm's, not that I used them much anyway. Thanks

24-Nov-16

hunt4life's embedded Photo
Happy Thanksgiving! 11/6/16 33yrd shot, 35yrd recovery, watched him fall. 224lbs

24-Nov-16

deerman406's embedded Photo
deerman406's embedded Photo
Here is a better pic. He is not real wide only 15.5"s but he is fairly heavy. I killed him after 17 days of hunting hard every day. I am more then happy with him! Shawn

24-Nov-16
Congrats to everyone on there deer. I'm still in pursuit maybe tomorrow

24-Nov-16

24-Nov-16
Some old warriors Andy, Mike, Shawn, and Jerry...nice work men!

24-Nov-16

Bigsho69's embedded Photo
Trail cam photo as the deer came in, right before the shot.
Trail cam photo as the deer came in, right before the shot.
Killed this buck on November 11th around 4:30 PM. He came in by himself.

25-Nov-16

25-Nov-16
Heck of buck Jerry. Congrats

25-Nov-16

Dss's embedded Photo
Dss's embedded Photo
Dss's embedded Photo
Dss's embedded Photo
Dss's embedded Photo
Dss's embedded Photo
This morning, 9:04. 17 yard shot. Heard her pile up hard in the timber shortly after I hit her. Only traveled 70 yards after the shot - broke the little tree she slammed into. Entrance wound in the picture with the bow.

25-Nov-16

HoytZinger's MOBILE embedded Photo
HoytZinger's MOBILE embedded Photo

11/21, no piles, on the ground, no blind, how I like to do it.

25-Nov-16

ldp2323's embedded Photo
ldp2323's embedded Photo
Shot this one Wednesday morning. It's been a tough season, not many mature deer sightings from the stand.

Congrats to all who have filled tags and good luck to those still hunting!

26-Nov-16
Great buck Lucas! Way to stick with it. Congrats!

26-Nov-16
Thanks Dylan. Congrats to you and your boy as well!! Great season!

26-Nov-16
Great deer guys.

26-Nov-16
Agree! DSS, Donnie, and Lucas nice work...I especially like the patented "Palmquist pose" ;)

27-Nov-16

27-Nov-16

GruntOnks's embedded Photo
Got this guy 11-26 Haven't put a tape to him. 30 yard

27-Nov-16
Very Nice folks! You know they are getting older when the 3's get longer then the 2"s. Shawn

28-Nov-16

Coltman's embedded Photo
Coltman's embedded Photo
Shot this buck on the 26th at 8:30 in the morning... came in fast to some grunting. He was pretty busted up when compared to some game cam pics we had of him... Field dressed at ~220#...

20-Dec-16

ksdeerhuntr's embedded Photo
ksdeerhuntr's embedded Photo
The frigid cold temps was just what I needed to get this nocturnal buck on his feet! He came in with 5 minutes of light left the night the snow storm passed! Great reward for a long season!

02-Jan-17

FFZYarcher's embedded Photo
FFZYarcher's embedded Photo
After many enjoyable but unsuccessful hunts, I walked out of the woods December 29th with this guy. What a beautiful hunt and memory it was!

02-Jan-17
Great deer, congrats

02-Jan-17
Beauty,congrats.

02-Jan-17
Nice work Zach!

02-Jan-17

Great bucks!! Congrats everyone! I finally notched my tag on the last morning of the season!

Matt

02-Jan-17
Thank you sirs! Good buck any day Matt, especially on the last day!

12-Jan-17
Congrats Matt! Way to stick with it! Great buck!

03-Feb-17

z hunter's Link
Wasnt quite sure where to put this.. the link is to the Archery Talk deer hunting contest..540 members, 36 teams of 15 hunters. The statistics pdf has some interesting info

03-Feb-17

03-Feb-17
Gotta love some of those team names like Team 20 "Make America Hunt Again" or Team 13 "White Tails Matter"

05-Mar-17

pccmizuno24's embedded Photo
19 scorable! Rough scored 163 and some change
19 scorable! Rough scored 163 and some change
Son got this one unit 11 rifle season! I hunted a lot of days this year but couldn't close the deal! But the excitement of him killing this brute was well worth it!

05-Mar-17
No idea why the pictures are sideways

06-Mar-17
Awesome buck!! Congrats to you both!

• Sitka Gear