Toonces 21-Sep-16
>>---CTCrow---> 21-Sep-16
Ace 21-Sep-16
Smoothdraw 21-Sep-16
GF 21-Sep-16
Bloodtrail 21-Sep-16
13-Sep-16
Target a Buck - Let the Doe Walk

The State of Connecticut has lost 60% + of its deer population in the last 10 years. With the CT DEEP unwilling to lower deer take numbers, it is up to hunters to guarantee the future of deer hunting in CT. By targeting bucks and letting does walk you are helping to secure a viable population of deer for yourself and future generations to come.

14-Sep-16
Sounds good but why don't I get any young ones on camera, this year I only have 2 skippers . Their are places were there are lots of does some are going too get shot and there are places were I don't see many they get buys it all depends were you hunt . Redding isn't like it once was but it will never be till the state and town cuts back there are no longer hiding places for deer to get old .Steve

14-Sep-16
Coyotes, bears and bobcats is the reason I'm guessing.

14-Sep-16
I have 4 does, 4 fawns and 3 bucks on camera this year.

14-Sep-16
Makes sense. Don't be so quick to arrow a doe. It's up to many of us to manage the regrowth of the herd in areas that need it.

14-Sep-16
I almost always do, been practicing that philosophy for 35 years

14-Sep-16
I hunt in an area where does outnumber bucks by 4 to 1. First doe with no sign of a fawn is getting downed and filling the freezer.

14-Sep-16
I hunt an area where. I saw over 25 does at the same time last season. Week after the season I drove around the block and counted 42 deer. There is an abundance of does in that area, I will select a few does from there. Other areas where doe sightings are low I will hold off for a nice buck.

14-Sep-16
Agreed Airrow, I bet hunters shoot more does and yearlings than all natural predators combined. I have never shot a doe, and never will (at least not in NW CT).

What drives me bonkers is when guys complain about having a tough season, and yet they have and still shoot does....can't fix stupid.

14-Sep-16
I AGREE, AS HUNTERS EVEN IF WE ALLOW ALL DOE TO WALK FOR JUST ONE OR TWO YEARS THE DEER HERD WOULD INCREASE DRAMATICALLY... MAYBE LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF OUT OF STATE HUNTERS FOR ONE OR TWO YEARS ALSO UNTIL THE NUMBERS INCREASE...

14-Sep-16
Does have been off my list for at least 30 years.

14-Sep-16
Another point to consider; does are the magnets that draw in bucks. For those who'd like to arrow a nice buck your odds increase if there's a doe or two in the immediate area of a good buck's range.

Lastly, and hopefully obviously, if you take a doe you're more than likely taking out 3 deer in total; the doe plus the fawns she might have produced for the following year.

Contrary to what some seem to think the deer herd is a finite resource; treat it like one and we'll have it for a good many years to come.

14-Sep-16
"Finite resource" is synonymous with "non-renewable resource." So are you suggesting that deer are a non-renewable resource like coal or oil? Because the ability of a species to reproduce kind of cements them in the "renewable resource" category. Are trees also a "finite resource?"

14-Sep-16

Mike in CT's Link
Evidently even biologists can forget about species capable of reproduction still becoming extinct.

Here's an excerpt some might find interesting from the link:

"This year marks the 100th anniversary of the passenger pigeon’s extinction. In the intervening years, researchers have agreed that the bird was hunted out of existence, victimized by the fallacy that no amount of exploitation could endanger a creature so abundant."

Anyone who wishes to continue good contributions to a great topic, please feel free to continue.

Hopefully the peanut gallery will have the good sense to fade away quietly.

14-Sep-16
Right. Give me a break and cry me a river. Deer are absolutely a renewable resource and we have plenty of them. Deer going extinct? Dude, come on. You expect even the conservative-minded readers of Bowsite to get behind you on this? Do you think in a broke state like CT that they would let a solid revenue source (license sales) dry up by letting deer go extinct? I hope you have something better than this "argument."

14-Sep-16
Here in MA we had an abundance of deer just like CT back in the 90's to 2002. And just like CT our numbers dropped. We are probably one of the only states where you can't shoot a doe during bow season without a permit. We reduced doe tags so that only a certain amount of hunters are able to shoot a doe in any season. On our western end we have very few tags. This has been going on for years and you would think we would have a huge herd by now but we still don't. Yes you can have more deer by not shooting does BUT the main reason we don't is because of habitat. Woods being removed and aging forests do not increase deer populations and will not. On an opposite note I lived in VA for two years and the population was about 1 million deer and 300,000 were shot a year. Even with around 30% of the deer being shot every year their was always plenty the next year. This was due to thick woods for fawns to hide, crops, mild winters, etc. The northeast will never be like it was again doe kill or not.

14-Sep-16
I agree about habitat. A lot of the big woods state land is mature forest. DEEP's forestry program needs to be more active in the management of state land. Not enough clear cuts and timber harvesting. There's an area of state land that I hunt that's awesome. It's mature forest surrounded by a clear cut that's grown in for a few years.

14-Sep-16
Spike. What do you mean by woods being removed? Where in VA did you live? Northern VA or in the Ag areas? Certainly big mature woods (like western MA) are not very good deer habitat which is precisely why we see so many in the more habitat rich areas of suburban CT than on state forest lands. If all guys pass on does in CT zone 11 you will see an increase in reproduction. I will agree with Glen on that.

14-Sep-16
Dr, I meant woods being removed for houses and other things like these damn solar panels popping up everywhere. I lived south of Richmond and hunted on a lease in Alberta VA loaded with bean fields. Down there I had 5 doe tags along with 4 additional dmap tags for does. I stopped at four deer each of the two seasons I hunted but it was easy to go out and bag a deer. I think that area was around 50 deer per square mile. Honestly, coming from 10-15 dpsm here I lost the excitement of bagging a deer there. Now I'm back here with maybe a deer a year lol. I could use a few more deer now. I do agree that in urban environments deer multiply quick but areas like NW CT and western MA they do not. If our states clear cutted more we would have more deer. For example here you see rabbits everywhere but in the woods where it is wide open oaks and pines. That's the problem.

14-Sep-16
Unless it is the mature buck I'm hunting,they all walk.

14-Sep-16
WOW! Mike offers factual information about a "renewable" resource going extinct and the good Doc refutes it!! Really?? You never cease to amaze me for your refusal to accept facts as proof for an opposing argument.

Mature bucks only for me. Been that way for years and will continue. That's a renewable resource plan.

14-Sep-16
Mature bucks only. That's it for me.

14-Sep-16
The saving grace here in CT might be the New England cottontail. There has been a lot of federal money alotted to provide them habitat, which entails clearcuts on the order of 50 acres plus all over the state. Obviously cuts like that benefit a lot more wildlife than just NE cottontails, but also tons of songbirds, deer, grouse, woodcock, etc. Smokey the Bear is about the worst thing that could happen to wildlife habitat, oh the irony. There are virtually no disturbance regimes left in the Northeast to create early successional habitat. Maybe the state of MA has forgotten about western MA. I always get a laugh when I remember the governors race years back when the candiates said they were going to campaign in western MA, specifically Gardner and Worcester.

Bob, comparing an overly abundant, highly-regulated, modern-day wildlife resource like deer to the demise of the passenger pigeon from 3 centuries ago before game laws existed is stupid.

15-Sep-16
"The saving grace here in CT might be the New England cottontail. There has been a lot of federal money alotted to provide them habitat, which entails clearcuts on the order of 50 acres plus all over the state."

I've witnessed the handy work. The state cut down tons of white and red oaks to rescue the cottontail. Funny thing about it is that the place that they tried to save the cottontails has ALWAYS been loaded with cottontails for the 17 years I've hunted it.

Sometimes I think all of this is a bunch of cow manure.

15-Sep-16
Doc - passenger pigeons became extinct in 1914, not 3 centuries ago.

So you're saying over hunting a species 3 centuries (incorrect) ago is different than over hunting a species today,....how? Oh yeah, that's right, we're so much smarter today!!

Here's how smart we are today. At least 20 years ago several hunters besides myself complained to the DEP that the deer herd in the NW corner of CT was in serious decline, they told us to learn how to find deer!

Now in recent years the DEEP finally decides the deer herd in the NW corner is dangerously low and decides to do a fawn mortality study. How much longer do you think it will take the DEEP to realize the harvest rate should be reduced in that area?? Let's see what they do.

And why did they need to re-stock turkey in CT 40 years ago? Did we over hunt those? What about eastern elk? Yeah, the people managing the wildlife make mistakes too. They're not perfect.

15-Sep-16

Dr. Williams's Link
The last pigeon in captivity died in 1914. Wild stocks were effectively depleted in the 1890s, 3 centuries ago. I've reattached Mike's link for verification. Pigeons and elk did not go extinct in the east because of hunting. Hunting is a highly-regulated "pay to play" endeavor. Pigeons and elk went extinct due to unregulated shooting. The fact that we are still carrying on a conversation about deer being a non-renewable resource of the verge of extinction is ridiculous. Show me an example where a state allowed a regulated game species to go extinct due to incompetence.

Buckiller. The Feds are trying to increase the abundance of NE cottontails so they do not need to list them on the endangered species list. So your spot sounds like a habitat improvement success. Imagine if they were listed, that would be the end of rabbit hunting altogether.

15-Sep-16
What's stupid is the deliberate distortion of a valid point; no one (other than yourself that is) is talking about the deer going extinct merely that contrary to what you attempted as a put-down isn't true; deer, just like any animal can become extinct.

All it takes is the right set of circumstances as evidence provided (and by the way those aren't the only examples) proved.

What is stupid is the usual dodge when facts prove inconvenient and the usual trolling and trashing of threads that dare to suggest hunters can be proactive in maintaining a resource.

Par for the course so no one here should have been surprised.

The point (and I really doubt it went over your head) was that the issue was not as cut-and-dried as you tried to cast it.

What's heartening is the number of responses indicating those who actually know about conserving a resource get it; I'm getting a strong feeling someone here might need to brush up on Santayana.

Now, as it's the 15th I'll extend my best wishes for success as each of you define it and above all, be safe out there!

15-Sep-16
So you agree that deer are a renewable resource and not a finite one as you stated previously?

15-Sep-16
Scott,

Please stop trying to conflate different meanings; any renewable resource that can pass out of existence is a finite, not infinite resource.

Again, as with extinction the only person here who has referred to deer as a non-renewable resource is you (see post above); I have only referred to them as a finite resource so please do try to quote me with accuracy for a change.

Try being gracious and walking away instead of showing everyone what you've already demonstrated ad infinitum, ad naseaum; you can be a quite petty when the urge strikes you.

Now if I were I might point out that your 3 centuries ago "rebuttal" is wrong no matter how you slice it; the 19th century was 2 centuries ago, not 3 (we're in the 21st century currently).

If we go by years its been approximately 121 years since they disappeared from the wild which would be 1.21 centuries as measured in years.

Of course when state employees can double wildlife populations with the stroke of a pen it shouldn't shock anyone that they feel the same way about creating time that's not there either.....

15-Sep-16
"So you agree that deer are a renewable resource and not a finite one as you stated previously?"

Is he seriously trying to make the case that these terms are mutually exclusive? If they are not finite, that would make them infinite, I guess that's his point. Sometimes I wonder if he really has even a single clue.

15-Sep-16
I am targeting whatever walks by in range.

15-Sep-16
Until the state addresses the increasing bear population I believe we will continue to see a decreasing deer population. Here in the NW corner bear encounters are practically a daily occurrence but I very rarely see deer.

15-Sep-16

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo

Dr. Williams's Link
1800s, 1900s, 2000s. 1, 2, 3. You are wrong about finite resources and I am not conflating anything. A “finite resource” is one that is limited in abundance, like coal, oil, rare earth elements, etc. There is no meaningful replacement of that resource and regardless of how regulated, continued use will eventually deplete it. That is directly counter to a renewable resource, which is obviously not infinite. Deer having offspring that replace themselves makes them by definition, a renewable, and not a finite, resource. Trees producing seeds and creating saplings to replace themselves also makes them by definition a renewable resource. The sole purpose of state fish and wildlife management agencies is to regulate harvest of renewable resources such as fish and game in a sustainable manner that will last generations to come, agreed? Oil extracted from underground is not replaced once used which by definition, makes it a finite, or non-renewable resource. Mike, if you and “Ace” want to attempt to insult me here, I suggest you study up on your basic natural resources terminology as this is high school freshman biology class stuff. Oh, and I have never in my life doubled my white-tailed deer count data. You seem to have my methodologies confused with DEEP’s.

Attached is a link to Wikipedia about “finite resources” if you two care to educate yourselves.

15-Sep-16
" Oh, and I have never in my life doubled my white-tailed deer count data."

Here we have Dr. Williams actually telling the truth; In 2013/2014 he multiplied the deer count in the CAES study in Redding, CT by 3.5x or 350% in the two test areas, in 2015 he used 4X or 400% over the actual Davis Aviation FLIR survey and signed the report not having ever scene the FLIR film. Two wildlife FLIR survey companies that reviewed the Davis film called the review and report on the Davis FLIR film both " Clarvoant and a Fraud ".

This thread is about " Targeting bucks and letting does Walk "; not passenger pigeons and coal mining ..........please try and stay on topic.

15-Sep-16
Glen, you forgot to remind them how I supposedly directed them to look for Hot Pockets in what town was that, Fairfield, instead of Redding. Remember, you guys had me dead to rights with those coordinates. Your numbers mean nothing without proof. Never have I used a 50% correction factor. Ever.

16-Sep-16
1800s, 1900s, 2000s. 1, 2, 3

1890's-19th century (1) 1990's-20th century (2) 2090's-21st century (3)

Pretty sure it's just 2016 so you're about 80 years shy of a 3-century span on 100 year increments.

Well, unless your century is less than 100 years....

I see you are still struggling as well with English comprehension; if something is not infinite is therefore by definition finite. Period, end of story.

Oh, and I have never in my life doubled my white-tailed deer count data.

Interesting; seeing as I said "some state employees" and "they" you'd have to assume I meant you. In the first place Scott, everything isn't always about you and in the second it makes me wonder if that was a prickle of conscience.

On the plus side it would be refreshing to learn that you might have one.

Just curious; if you're in a crowded bar and some guy walks in and yells "hey a-hole" do you automatically assume he's talking to you?

Regarding Glen's coordinate snafu; most here will recall he immediately owned up to his error, the kind of thing men do. Others lacking that type of core principle just obfuscate, spin, distort or when all else fails just plain lie.

Your numbers mean nothing without proof.

Funny you should mention that; ironically Glen's numbers from Vision Air were actually confirmed by Davis; that is when his film was reviewed by experts and the count they generated was accurate. Ironically that accurate rendering was just under the numbers for Vision Air.

And of course how can we forget all those months of claims about Chris Siburn seeing 36 deer at Pheasant Ridge? I guess he reached the point where he'd had enough of that nonsense and went on record here as stating he only saw 10-12. So again, to Glen's point you were being truthful about never doubling your counts. You tripled them in that instance.

Of course if you ever bothered to review the film you'd have already figured out it was smoke and mirrors. Surprising that you haven't as you consistently claim to be an ethical scientist and all.

Educate you Scott? That would be highly unlikely; it's impossible to enlighten the unconscious.

Prattle on lad, do prattle on.

16-Sep-16
infinite / finite / renewable????

Let's make it simple for dumb/stupid hunters like me.

If we have 100 deer left in the entire world and there's no hunting allowed and they breed at a rate 2X per year, is that an infinite/renewable resource? Sounds like you said yes, right?

But wait!! If we allow hunting of those 100 deer and we allow hunters to shoot as many as they want, are they still infinite/renewable? Even if they kill all 100? I know it's impossible to kill all 100, UNLESS your good friend Tony does it :)

BTW - how's the state doing managing ruffed grouse or the deer population in the NW corner. Not renewing too well, are they. Mismanagement of game species in recent times is here, no need to go back to passenger pigeons Doc. Are they extinct, no, but they're not being managed either.

Therefore - I will only shoot mature bucks.

16-Sep-16

Oh Mike. Are you just embarrassed about your “finite resource” flap, is that why you are steering the conversation away from that and back to the same boring “Glen is the deer censusing guru” nonsense? So which is it now? That you were not talking to me about doubling raw deer counts or are you now telling me that I triple deer counts? And to that, so when Siburn flew with the Wildlife Director and my technician on the taxpayer’s nickel, he was actually lying then but is telling the truth here after swearing on the Holy Bible of Bowsite that he actually did chop down the cherry tree? Oh, and you accuse me of counting deer that are not there? How about the attached quote from you? How can a hunter kill three deer by killing just one? How can he/she kill deer that are not there? Or that are not even alive? By that logic, for every doe DEEP counts from the air, should they be marking it as 3 deer?

16-Sep-16
Doc - really!!!

Are you REALLY asking why Mike said "if you take a doe you're MORE THAN LIKELY taking out 3 deer in total, the doe plus the fawns."

Damn, even a dumb, stupid hunter like myself can understand that you're killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

How are those ruffed grouse doing in CT. Are they being well managed? I haven't seen or heard one in years.

16-Sep-16
Bob....not a great example on the ruffed grouse. Its not mismanagement, its major habitat loss for a species that are very cyclic. I see the same thing in other states where I once saw lots of grouse. Cant blame the DEEP on the decline in other states. You need to go to upper NE to be able to hunt them consistently. I'm sure the hardcore bird hunters can attest to that.

When's that last time you heard a Whippoorwill early morning or in the evening during the spring? Not even a game species, so management has nothing to do with it.

Don't know why I even replied to this thread, but got sucked in.....I'm out now:)

By the way, to stick to the original topic of this post, I'm with Toonces on this one. I will target what comes by me in range and what I feel like shooting. I don't get to spend much time afield so I have to make do to put one in the freezer. Going on my 30th year of bowhunting and I always have at least 2 of my archery tags to spare at the end of the season. Okay...now I'm out

16-Sep-16
Come here to MA , every year I jump a bunch of grouse.

17-Sep-16

Garbanzo's embedded Photo
Garbanzo's embedded Photo
let this one pass on Friday.. Small Doe and Fawn. Pick is from the fawn. It was maybe 12 yards away. Not sure if I could let the mom pass in Nov if I don't have meat in the freezer.. Hopefully I won't be put into that situation.

17-Sep-16
The argument here is killing me... If I'm not mistaken, probably the #1 contributor to the demise of the Ruffies is, um.... Overbrowsing of critical habitat due to the unsustainably high deer population.

If you want Too Many of one, you're going to have to accept Not Enough of the other.

No managed game species has ever gotten into trouble - what killed off the bison, the passenger pigeon, eastern Elk, and very nearly the whitetail was unregulated market hunting. All of the whining and hysteria over the decline of whitetails from disastrously high levels to sustainable or even temporarily sub-optimal levels is just that - whining and hysteria. In the event that the deer population should get seriously low, the managers will figure it out and things can be restored. Might take 20 years, but this is a long-term proposition.

Those who fought to get game laws established a century ago would have to laugh, cry, or spit up listening to this. They FOUGHT for tight regulations so that WE, who happened along so many years down the line, would have enough deer (and other animals) that we could be allowed to hunt a few. Somewhere along the line, the idea arose that we should be allowed to shoot as many as we want, and it all hit the fan as a result.

I guess - coming from a state where you never used to be able to buy more than one tag per species per year - I just see things differently. But let's allow CWD or something to hit as a result of all of the feeding/ baiting and overcrowding, and let's let the population implode to where all of the deer tags are 1 per year and by lottery only, and THEN I'll take some of this seriously.

NW corner is tough. I get it. Hunted there a couple years and I cant't disagree with anyone up there who lets a doe walk. Farther south, I will let does walk when I start seeing understory again.

18-Sep-16
GF, never heard that ruffed grouse went away because of overbrowsing from deer. That would be interesting to see since the heaviest population of grouse was in Northern CT....where there aren't as many deer. I always thought grouse habitat was mismanaged here, as they prefer young stands of trees....and most of our forests are mature.....and the state won't log our forests......for fear of creating ideal deer habitat, this leading to more deer.

Now that's funny. :)

Anyhow, I hope more hunters pass on does until the state starts opening their eyes and adjusts the tagging system.

18-Sep-16
GF

I agree that this whole argument is based upon perception. Not enough deer for me may be just right for you. My frustration stems from the DEP ignoring the comments of concerned sportsmen years ago about the deer herd in the NW corner. I pleaded for less tags, or bucks only but was told I didn't know what was going on, even though there were no tracks in the snow where there was once highway of trails.

Years later the scientists finally get the picture and declare a crisis and start conducting fawn mortality surveys. I can find deer and anyone who has gone in the woods with me knows this to be true. I've taken several young or inexperienced hunters to places and told them when and where the deer would come from. Some go shots, others got deer.

I know nothing about the SW area, but I have to give some weight to what other hunters are saying who hunter that area, otherwise I would be just like the DEP officials that ignored my comments years ago.

I don't consider this whining or complaining, but rather concerned, passionate hunters who want a certain level of enjoyment from their sport. It may be different than mine, but they have the right to express their view.

And why do people think that the state only manages game species?? They manage all forms of wildlife. That's why they can stop a developer from disturbing wetlands where non-game species thrive. So if it's striped bass, piper plovers, blade eagles, turtles or NW corner whitetails, they own all of the results.

19-Sep-16
Excellent conversation. GF nailed it. Guys here "only" shooting 3 deer a season and complaining and crying single digit densities because they used to get 6-10/year. Hunt true single digits and then report back. In northern Maine, the IF&W is striving to achieve a management goal of 2 deer/square mile.

Bloodtrail, DEEP is managing forests on a small scale, but due to lack of state funding and reduced manpower, certainly not for fear of creating more deer habitat. Early successional habitat benefits way more than just deer. Like I was saying earlier, now there is federal money to create NE cottontail habitat which entails clear cutting averages 50-100 acres mostly to overwhelm deer with regeneration so there is some regenerational success.

19-Sep-16
Doc,

Any idea why DEEP doesn't leverage private citizens to help them create successional habitat in state forests? Seems to me all they would need to do is issue permits to cut firewood in certain areas.

All DEEP would need to do is mark the areas to be cut and monitor the progress.

When I was growing up my home town cleared land for a two full public parks, including soccer and baseball fields by letting private citizens go in and harvest the wood. I know because I was there a lot with my dad helping him load wood into the truck.

Just seems like it should be easy to do and cost effective, a no brainer. What is preventing them from doing that.

19-Sep-16

Dr. Williams's Link
Nothing preventing them from doing so. In fact, it already exists.

19-Sep-16
Thanks,

Seems under utilized as a management tool to me.

The state forest I have been hunting for the last 20 years or so has seen no cutting at all.

19-Sep-16
Toonces

I agree. I used to participate in the state cutting program, but it was so limited it became more a burden than a help.

19-Sep-16
Doc, I would never pay to cut wood......nor would anyone I know that heats their house with wood and is able to cut and split their own wood. There's simply enough hardwood available each year if you look around for it.

The program in place for the rabbits is limited to certain areas of the state....not in all state forests. And yes, the by-product of these cuts will benefit the deer too.

What you don't see is the cutting that took place on state lands like you saw in the late 70's, 80's and 90's. There were multiple areas in Salmon River State forest and Cockaponset where I hunted that this was done and the hunting was pretty darn good from it. If the state would simply manage the forests and sell some lumber everyone would benefit.

You can already see the food salad created by good Ole Malloy on every highway in the state. All those trees he had removed are now lush with browse and cover.

Lastly, it's interesting that you seem to think guys want to kill a whole bunch of deer (Guys here "only" shooting 3 deer a season and complaining)....I think the other post by GF would show you that a lot of us bow hunters only want opportunities to take 1-2 deer a year. Thanks for listening.

19-Sep-16
And remember me, I ruin the curve that Doc is proposing where all of us want to kill several deer a year. One in 16 years because I let several young bucks and all of the doe walk.

19-Sep-16
I never told you you had to pay to cut wood. I don't either. You are right. There was a lot of management that happened in the 70s and 80s at the height of game management. DEEP is trying to make a buck for others to create game habitat that they too can benefit from. What is the matter with a win win situation like that?

19-Sep-16
Doc, I'm not arguing. I love what the state is doing for the rabbits. I'm just wishing the state started their logging operations again all over. Sell the wood, use the monies to fund wildlife management/studies etc and create habitat. I have a feeling the state knows that if they log areas.....deer densities will increase and I don't feel they want that liability.

I wasn't insinuating that you said to pay for wood. It was to let others understand that you can't just walk into a state forest and cut a few trees down....there's a process and fees associated with it.

Thanks.

20-Sep-16

airrow's embedded Photo
airrow's embedded Photo
A CT bow hunter posted his trophies on Facebook. DEEP pinched him Sunday.

20-Sep-16
Good - spotties are a "no-no".. and why would you kill a young button buck like that anyway?

Too bad they both weren't legal - Nice shot placement on both (assuming momma was close to the stand)...

20-Sep-16
In fairness to the hunter who got pinched, as far as I know, the prohibition on shooting spotted fawns is nowhere to be found where most of us go to look for the hunting regulations. It is buried in the Connecticut General Statutes.

For some reason the DEEP has failed to make this law more readily accessible to hunters in their hunting guides, where it should be.

I didn't know about until recently and I have been deer hunting in CT for over 30 years.

20-Sep-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
It's in there bud

20-Sep-16
Toonces, you love to stir things up. :)

Notme.....thank you for posting how easy it was to find.

20-Sep-16
I stand corrected! Thanks. Has it always been there?

20-Sep-16
Is it in the online version too? I can't find it in there.

21-Sep-16

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
The Spotted Fawn thing has been discussed here several times.

21-Sep-16
Why would you shoot one anyway? all you get is a bag of chop meat very sad .STEVE

21-Sep-16
Ace,

I remember. You were the first one to bring it to my attention. Prior to that I did not know there was a law against killing spotted fawns.

21-Sep-16
I've taken the bow safety class 2 times ( NY & CT) and have been accompanying people 3 times (wife & kids). Every single time the instructors have said it's illegal to shoot sppoted fawns. I have no sympathy for people that do. Also, even if it is not illegal to shoot lactating mothers, I think it is unethical.

P.S. i will say that a few years back i watched a doe feed for about 45 minutes making her way to me and i shot her. After recovery i saw that she was lactating and made me feel like crap. I never saw a fawn otherwise I wouldn't have shit her.

21-Sep-16
Crow, the deer biologists have told me that even if a fawn/young of the year is still nursing, by the time hunting season rolls around they are capable of surviving on their own.

I once shot a mature doe in early December, (which had no other deer with her), that was full of milk. I think sometimes the youngins just keep nursing until the doe stops them, even though they are also eating solid food.

21-Sep-16
I doubt the survival rate is very good for orphaned fawns or young of the year. It should be bucks only until mid October maybe even Nov.

21-Sep-16
You're right - that's why it does no good to shoot them if you're trying to thin the herd, and why it does no harm to take them when you're trying to grow it. Unless you are taking mature animals AS WELL.

But the only reason to let Spot walk is political - Susie Homemaker doesn't want the kiddies to see Bambi strapped to the hood. So it's less of an issue now that we are no longer required to transport the animals in open view, but good luck changing the law on it.

Ethical? Every other predator preys on the young and stupid, so why can't we? If you don't care to, then don't, but MAN are they good eating! Easy to get out of the woods, too!

Of course, the last time I tagged one was last day of ML season 1999.... If I'm going to all that trouble, I'd rather get a few more pounds out of the effort..

21-Sep-16
Smooth draw, plenty of studies show the fawns live.....and actually will stay in the area when they grow up, rather than disperse.....especially the buck fawns. We don't live in Canada.....we are in CT.

Absolutely zero reason to kill a fawn...unless you have to if you have crop damage. And then you are an exterminator.....not hunting related. The other reason might be if you are a young hunter and its your first deer.

Let's let a few of those big does walk this year and we might see a few more deer in years to come. Everyone shoot straight!

• Sitka Gear