writer 15-Sep-16
TwoDogs@work 15-Sep-16
stealthycat 15-Sep-16
Catscratch 15-Sep-16
osage orange 16-Sep-16
Ksgobbler 23-Apr-17
Silvercreek 29-Apr-17
13-Sep-16
Do deer eat Pawpaws? I am hunting in an area that is covered with them. There are lots of acorns around the area as well.

13-Sep-16
Bigger question is why aren't YOU eating the paw-paws.

I took about 25 of them to work today and they didn't last long. One woman drilled me five minutes on where and how to find them. Another is making some into ice cream. Several make them into bread, like banana bread.

Like sweet banana custard with some big seeds, served in a peel.

Man, great stuff.

Oh, heck yes deer eat them, what they can get after the coons have attacked them.

Always hard to beat acorns, though.

13-Sep-16
Excellent the annual Pawpaw thread. I look forward to this each year. Are they any good to eat?

13-Sep-16
Anyone in pawpaw territory willing to ship some seed? I have none local to collect my own seed. I would like to start a couple on the place...

13-Sep-16
Cat...I've had friends order started trees and have pretty good success.

I'll see if I can get friends to save a few seeds. Paw-paws may be eaten and gone by now, though.

13-Sep-16
Mike I read an old article you wrote about 7ish years ago about a fella that liked to squirrel hunt and gather pawpaws. I plan to gather some up and give it a try. It didn't look like the deer were fooling with them much, but I forgot how quick the perish or are eaten once ripe and on the ground.

13-Sep-16
Thanks writter. I looked at potted or bareroot but my understanding is that they are a taproot tree. My luck with taproot trees has been best with direct seeding. If you know people who didn't have watering issues with containerized trees then I might go ahead and find a place to order some.

14-Sep-16
Native Nursuries trees look pretty healthy when you get them. I'll report next year on growth rate.

Paw paws appear to be very picky on site selection. I had good luck initially with the bare roots from the state. Only lost 1 initially but they have dropped like flies this summer. The best site appears to be the one I had deemed least likely to succeed. On that site I have 2 that are at the top of my the 4 ft tree tube. The site I thought would be best they grew great till July. I am going to wait to see if they pull out of it before I write them off.

14-Sep-16
didn't know KS had them

14-Sep-16
....so, Gobbller, what kind of sight was that.

Stealthy we have them native at least as far west as El Dorado, along the Walnut River. That's where I got mine. Some of our state wildlife areas are loaded with them.

They're easy to recognize because of the huge leaves The actual trees normally aren't very big maybe 10' tall, or a big bigger size of a baseball at the base is a big one. They grow in pretty tight clusters.

I've picked them in LV, MI, BU, EK counties. A friend got a nice grove started in Harvey County, just east of Newton.

Most of the good ones I find are under a tall canopy, and fairly near a river or creek., or at least a wet area.

Don't feel bad, a buddy too a bowl full to the "good ol' boy coffee gathering" in Elk Cpunty and nobody knew what they were...and those guys were raised along those creeks (cricks). I've met a lot of eastern Kansas avid hunters who can't ID one until we show them how.

Neat addition to the Kansas outdoors.

14-Sep-16
I've been picking Paw Paws a few years and this has been the best harvest I've ever had overall. Probably could have filled 3 or 4 five gallon buckets full, but only picked one due to not needing them. Took them to work... surprised how many people have never heard of them or tasted them. I've a couple people begging for more.

Mike, perhaps I've got a more established and older patch, but I've got some pawpaws that are way over 10 foot tall... probably 20-30 foot. Had to get on the side of my pick up bed, with a 6 foot apple picker to pick some that wouldn't shake out because the trees were quite a bit bigger in diameter than most. I'm guessing at least 8 inches in diameter.

We are going to start the seed this year at our school as a project for the kids... have to go through cold stratification first. We have plenty of seed so I can probably ship you some in an envelope or you can just come to our annual plant/tree sale at the school and pick some up; )

14-Sep-16
10 feet may have been underestimating.

A buddy in EK has some paw-paw trees that are flat-out trees, like 12" or so in diameter. The also produce paw-paws bigger than a beer can. Seriously.

15-Sep-16
Best site so far is upland with a hedge/locust overstory along a small creek on my property.

Site I though would be the best is an ash overstory with damp soil along a major creek. Also well protected from the wind.

One that is so/so would be kentucky coffeetree, walnut, hedge, locust, and ash overstory.

All my trees are tubed. Seedling pawpaws are sensitive to sunlight so shade is a most till about age 3. If all these fail I probably wont replant.

I know where a very large bunch of trees are on some public. May go check them out tomorrow.

15-Sep-16
I'm still on the lookout for seeds if any of you guys would like to send me some. I'll gladly pay for shipping...

15-Sep-16
Cat....send turk a private message as per seeds.

Be interesting to see how they do for you.

15-Sep-16
The two patches that I know of in Chase County are in an area like Writer described. They are in a low area close to a creek under the tree canopy. Some of them may be 15 to 20 feet tall. Deer certainly appear to like them.

15-Sep-16
north and north central AR we have them sure, I just didn't know KS did ... in fact I kinda thought they were almost exclusive to AR

15-Sep-16
writer, Sounds good. I'll send him a message. I've been wanting to mess with pawpaw for a while. Lots of inquiring about them, but nothing done yet. I would like named cultivars but don't really want potted trees. I would rather let them grow from seed and not disturb their taproot. I can always graft once established if I want something different.

16-Sep-16

osage orange's Link
Here's a link to order containerized paw paws from the Ks Forest Service. I believe you can order thru Oct 14.

23-Apr-17
Of the 15 I planted I believe I only have 3 left.

29-Apr-17

Silvercreek's Link
Don't know if our Zone 5 is warm enough for growing, but it would be a tree to plant and grow. We always try to plant several trees a year. Some make it some don't.

• Sitka Gear