Will 05-Oct-16
soapdish 05-Oct-16
N8tureBoy 05-Oct-16
>>---CTCrow---> 05-Oct-16
bigbuckbob 06-Oct-16
soapdish 06-Oct-16
notme 06-Oct-16
14-Sep-16
Is anybody using these? And how do they work?

23-Sep-16
$$$$!

23-Sep-16
I have the Covert Blackhawk. No flash works great.

I bought the Verizon plan, $14.00 month for 1000 pictures. Should have bought the Sprint plan for $9.00.

Lithium batteries are still 100% , been on since June.

It helped me kill a turkey this Spring, sent me a picture of 3 Tom's at last light, I wouldn't have hunted there without seeing that picture.

05-Oct-16
I know I'm going to catch some grief for this question but you guys know I'm not shy about expressing my opinion.

Let me preface by saying I have no problem with others using cameras, guides, aerial surveys, etc but I get this feeling deep inside me that says this is not the heart of hunting (as I enjoy it)

This thread is about game cams, so let me say this. If the camera is finding the game, is it the camera doing the hunting or the hunter?

To me, and this is just the way I approach hunting - the chase is what I'm after, not the kill. Determining where the birds/deer are, where are they feeding, where are they bedding/roosting, when time of day do they travel in my stand areas, etc.

I used a guide once in my life, first time I went out west for elk, and I felt like I cheated on myself. The guide found the elk, called the elk, and I just missed the shot. I would have been happy to get the elk, but not proud because I contributed very little to the success. SO if it's the camera calling you saying - HERE THEY ARE! then is it you finding the game or the camera? See what I mean?

So do you think any of this has merit?

05-Oct-16
When hunting 40acres or less in an area the deer are not in all the time. I could a camera like this could come in handy. 1 cant justify spending 400$ on a cell camera when it could be used for other more important things.

05-Oct-16
SWK - my mind immediately went to my compound bow with fiber-optic sights, adjustable let-off, graphite arrows, etc. However, none of those things help me find and pattern the deer or turkey.

I see this as a matter of perception that each hunter has concerning what they want from the hunting experience, not a matter of right or wrong, or better or worse. I couldn't agree more that if xbows and cameras and apps bring more young people into hunting, it's all good!

05-Oct-16
Bob - I some what agree on the bigger point - is technology impacting us as hunters in a negative way. Ill skip that... Dont want to hijack.

But in terms of the cams. I've found they they require me to actually be more accurate and effective in identifying (manually) deer travel routes etc. In other words, getting good with a cam (if you are not just sticking it out with 100# of corn on the ground) in some cases feels harder than hunting.

I can scout, set up, and see 360 degrees. I may not shoot a deer - but I can see it for a large area - even in tight cover. With a cam, I have about 30 feet out and 20-30 to the sides where I can get a shot. Set it 5 feet to far, and it wont trigger.

Again, point being - setting a cam actually feels harder than picking a good stand tree - so it does not feel like it takes away from the hunt to me.

05-Oct-16
Bob has an opinion lol....I use cameras only because I bought them. Live feed would be neat but I think bill gates dumbed society down enough which surely will eventually lead to our demise. I feel that spending the time to scout and sit on stand will lead to greater success than any gadget created. I hunt two 20 acre properties in coventry that are surronded by much food and cover. It also has houses nearby. Remember when scouting to also pay attention to the neighbors and their routines while scouting. I can tell deer movement from the dogs barking on surronding the properties. Bring on the drones

05-Oct-16
I agree that technology is no substitute for experience and spending time with boots on the ground, but it has its place. I leave my trail cameras out all year and I'm always excited to see what shows up on them. There have been seasons when work or school prevented me from getting out but my cameras allowed me to feel connected to the outdoors.

05-Oct-16

>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo
>>---CTCrow--->'s embedded Photo
Hey BBB , when you started driving you had one of these but I bet you drive a nice truck now.

As technology advances so do our Hunting implements. I do see your point as a purists.

06-Oct-16
soap

DRONES!! I never considered that to be a future option for us.

Pretty soon there will be an app from Google Earth Maps showing live feeds of deer movements, and it will be like that stupid POKEMAN game. We'll see hunters walking in the woods with their cellphone glued to their noses telling them where to turn and how far to walk to be able to poke-a-deer (with an arrow)

2014 Tacoma red, double cab - my retirement gift to myself, now I just need to retire. Still have the Flintstone in the backyard though but it needs a new pair of sandals :)

06-Oct-16
Maybe they'll make an app that'll apply for beavers as well

06-Oct-16
They have one for beavers,liquor..or lick her..both work well....lol

• Sitka Gear