Swampy 19-Sep-16
Zinger 20-Sep-16
Swampy 20-Sep-16
Amoebus 22-Sep-16
CaptMike 22-Sep-16
Mike F 22-Sep-16
Amoebus 22-Sep-16
16-Sep-16
Has anyone ever used a big round hay bale to shoot field point's into . I have my own 3D range also bag target's . But the hay bale's seem really tight and no cost . Anyone try it .

16-Sep-16
We used to shoot into a bale with recurves, but I would hesitate to shoot into a big bale due to the fear of loosing an arrow in the bale.....

16-Sep-16
Mike x2

16-Sep-16
In the 80s that's what we used, hay bales, but the rectangle ones, stacked 3-4 high. But I think they were actually straw bales.

16-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
Swampy, local range here in town has straw bales and they can not handle anything over 50 lbs. Everyone has to bring their own blocks or bags.

19-Sep-16
I'm not talking regular hay bale's . I'm talking the rolled giant one's you see in the field's .

20-Sep-16
I don't think even the huge round ones are "tight" enough to stop arrows from most modern bows. Heck even 20+ years ago it was common to blow through hay bales, with todays bows I can't imagine them even being slowed down much through a hay bale.

20-Sep-16
C'mon Trapper . I might not be the brightest star in the sky but I know not to shoot broadhead's into one . I also have a sand pile on my property I use , no rock's .

22-Sep-16
Along the same line of questioning - do you guys do 'stump shooting'? If so, with what head?

I have tried off/on over the years and found that almost any head would get embedded in the stump too deeply for extraction (without an ax). If I shot into a mushy stump, it would continue through and possibly ruin the feathers. I liked the idea of it (practice), but was losing too many arrows to damage.

22-Sep-16
Instead of stumps, I use a judo head and just pick out a leaf, small plant or some other object lying on the ground.

22-Sep-16
HEY! I still shoot those old fashioned shafts out of my recurve! Just because I am old doesn't mean I am out dated....

22-Sep-16
"Instead of stumps, I use a judo head and just pick out a leaf, small plant or some other object lying on the ground."

I did that for a while also, but would still bend the shafts periodically (I liked the aluminum - still do).

• Sitka Gear