bigbuckbob 20-Sep-16
SixLomaz 20-Sep-16
GF 21-Sep-16
SixLomaz 21-Sep-16
Dr. Deer 23-Sep-16
longbeard 23-Sep-16
PSEBow 23-Sep-16
19-Sep-16
Another thread touched on this, but so as not to hijack that one...

Just curious...

How many tags per year do you think it is reasonable to expect to be permitted to fill? Not short-term because of the herd reduction effort, but as a long-term Normal...

How many hours of effort do you figure it ought to take to fill that tag? And by that I don't mean pre-season scouting or maintaining a bait/feeding station, but hours actually in the field with your bow during the season. The DEEP survey always asks how much time we did put in, but they seem less interested in how much time we think we ought to HAVE TO invest before we fill a tag...

How many deer do you expect to see in a day, in range or not?

And at what point would you say it's just no longer worth the effort? Time to take up golf or knitting or buy a fishing boat instead?

I'll weigh in later; just curious as to what you guys think qualifies as a good hunting season.....

19-Sep-16
All good questions Mr Bailey, but some are answers can be very subjective on a personal level. Meaning we are all different and may have diff expectations, but I'll do my best here...

#1 I believe two tags per hunter per hunting season is enough, no matter what weapon you choose to use. I would prefer the tags to be one antlered and one antler less.

#2/#3 This is one of those questions that I think the answers will vary a lot be very subjective, based on where you are in your hunting career/maturity. Personally I have gone complete seasons with out filling a tag. Not because I didn't have the opportunity to do so, but because I have become very selective and target only older age deer. However, (moving right along to question #3)I like to see deer every time I go out. That doesn't mean its a bad day if I don't see deer, but I am in it for the long haul and I enjoy being out there and seeing deer. Every time I observe deer I learn something new.

#4 I'm not sure I would ever say it's no longer worth the effort, but I can see where that would start to frustrate many. I would say too many hunters on too little land would be more discouraging than low deer numbers with no one harassing them.

A good hunting season to me is when I get to spend much time in my tree, see enough deer to keep me entertained, no hassles with other hunters, share some exciting moments with my family and friends and maybe even taking a mature deer for a ride in my truck!!

19-Sep-16
This is different for different parts of the state. NW corner I think should be bucks only with at least 4 points that are at least 4" long, one per season.

Time - I would expect to see 1 deer for every 12-14 hours in the field, in range or not, just a sighting.

No longer worth it when I spend 3x-4x the 12-14 hours without a single sighting, or about 36 - 56 hours afield.

Kill - not required for me to be satisfied, as long as I'm seeing deer.

I've said this before, right now I can find pockets of deer in the NW corner so I'm seeing them almost every time out, or every 6-8 hours afield.

19-Sep-16
Any weapon - two or three tags for the season. Regardless of private or public land.

It should take 7-10 hours in a stand to get an opportunity. Realistically that has gone by the side of the road these days....increasing to 20-25 hours for a shot opportunity.

I expect to see deer every time I'm in a tree. My main goal is to kill a nice deer. I don't spend time shooting, scouting, buying equipment, and sitting in a tree to watch the leaves. I'm there to place one perfect arrow through the chest of a good deer.

I've been doing this for 31 seasons. I'm still here. But every season is a little worse than the last lately with deer sightings/opportunities. Plus, there are a whole bunch more hunters I run into during archery season. It's definitely not as enjoyable as it used to be.

19-Sep-16
My family seems to be able to eat 2 deer solidly each year if you add in some turkey's, and occasional purchased meat (chicken mostly or salmon)... So, Ill go with 2 for a tag number. That said, I think ultimately it needs more nuance due to the way habitat loss and land access restricts where we can hunt. So in some areas, I can see that more than 2 tags may be appropriate. I'm just speaking generally to answer the question.

I'd like to think it would take 4-8 hours to see deer. Ill avoid where I most hunt in MA which takes about 12-24 hours to see a deer if you are doing well... And stick to the NE corner. That seemed to be solidly in the 4-8 hour range for me.

I love watching deer. So I'd love to see more - it's fun and educational. I do want to shoot 1-2 as healthy food for my family.

Not worth the effort? Not possible. As much as I enjoy watching deer and eating them... being quiet, reflective and spending time in nature is one of the most cherished things in my life, behind my family but ahead of about everything else. So, even if the odds were I wouldnt see anything, I'd still go.

19-Sep-16
Why are you even considering governmental babysitting? People have been endowed from birth with something called / identified as common sense. Mature people add to that wisdom gained via experience and learning.

Correctional scalding of an immature hunter is the responsability of the community at large.

If this mechanism no longer works then we are on our way out as a species, not only out of deer.

19-Sep-16
I don't have any real expectations on how much time it should take to accomplish, but ideally 2 big bodied deer, or three average deer for the freezer.

19-Sep-16
I just enjoy bow hunting early season. I only shoot mature bucks and one Doe for a large landowner who loves venison.

I shoot all my "eating" venison in Kentucky or Illinois, no comparison to the quality of corn, soy bean, alfalfa or white Oak fed Deer.

19-Sep-16
I think CT should rewrite their whole tag process. Although a non resident I have and will hunt CT here and there. I think it should be 2 tags max on public land and the tags should reflect the area being hunted according to density. I am ten minutes away from public land and while their are deer there, it does not seem to be a great amount. I can see an extra tag on private land but not public. With that being said I love to see deer and am more than happy with one or two in the freezer. If our states want kids to hunt then they have to make it worth the effort with plenty of deer. I can see if the state doesn't want 30dpsm but the woods can handle more than they want.

19-Sep-16
What does correctional scalding of an immature hunter entail? I'm picturing an army of responsible hunters with large pots of boiling oil in their tree stands ready to ...

19-Sep-16
I for myself think 2 deer a Season no matter what method taken and land types. 2. I have put in various amount of hours in the years but i can honestly say TONS. 3. As far a seeing deer well if we as hunters saw them every time we went, then whats the anticipation of going back out? Besides I enjoy watching all the the wildlife. 4. With my leg issues that I have who knows how many seasons may be ahead, so I dont plan on throwing in the towel. You go till you cant go anymore and enjoy it. Then I go FISHING!

19-Sep-16
scolding, I'm guessing

19-Sep-16
I was picturing some hot prison babes in need of a tongue lashing...

19-Sep-16
2 maybe 3 with private all season any weapon...more than enough for family friends and drunkin bozos at fire nite..always enjoyed being in the woods,seeing critters is a bonus..time is a concept...I'll do it till I drop.bow or rod.

19-Sep-16
Indeed it is scolding not scalding. I stand corrected (scolded). You just proved the concept is working and alive. Thank you.

@notme - I think the hot prison babes in need of tongue lashing will be too harsh.

However, in some cultures adultery is punishable by smearing the woman with honey, then tie her up, and either let the flies eat her alive or have a group of gypsies clean her up with their tongues until she dies from orgasm overdose.

Alternately, a pipe is introduced in the vagina, a hungry rat is released inside the pipe and sealed in. The rat will go forward and eat her alive from inside out.

These are extreme examples of collective intervention. Your pick.

20-Sep-16
You knoooow you perked my morning interest until you introduced the rat... lol... interesting concept though..

20-Sep-16
Six

where in the hell do you find out about things like that? Wait, I don't want to know, to scaredy fraid! Yikes!!

20-Sep-16
Reading, just reading, and a bit of imagination. It is a cruel world we live in after all.

21-Sep-16
Well, Lomaz, I'm not sure what prompted your first post, but I guess I could've gone all day with a couple of those follow-ups...

Interesting, though, how much more inventive MANkind has been in punishing women for adultery than men....

Aaaanyway....

Maybe that's just what you get for poking the campfire and then wandering off for a bit?

But I'll have to come back to this later on.... Crazy day.

21-Sep-16
Well, I left the adultery punishment for men out because it goes even crazier and I did not want to scare younger generation hunters.

23-Sep-16
When I got started it was four tags, all green. Two of each. In zone 11 they should probably kill the replacement tag program for a bit and go back to 4. There was a time 10-12 years ago I'd kill 30-plus a year with no apology. Now, seeing 0-4 deer about half the time and none the other half, I shall restrain myself. Yeah, I will still kill a big old doe or two this year, but all little bucks walk. There are some big ones around....

23-Sep-16
Gee Rob glad you figured it out!!! 30+ deer? Good thing the bell curve is not to steep or we would have no deer now!!

23-Sep-16
i don't see why anyone would need to shoot anymore than 2 deer. Ok 3 if you have a big family and an extra freezer. But at some point we have to consider the herd and policing ourselves.

• Sitka Gear