stagetek 21-Sep-16
Browning3 22-Sep-16
skookumjt 22-Sep-16
Konk1 22-Sep-16
Konk1 22-Sep-16
skookumjt 22-Sep-16
TrapperJack2 23-Sep-16
20-Sep-16
If you bought your deer licenses early (like in March) take a few seconds to check and see if they have a tag number on them. It has been discovered that due to a technical issue with the new license vendor at least a few do not have a number on them, and the number is needed to register your deer. If you have one of these early licenses, you can go on the GoWild site and print a new one and the number should show up now. It appears that this affects only a few people, but just in case it's worth checking.

Before people chime in with how the new system sucks and the DNR has screwed up yet again, I remind you that the State had no choice but to find a new license vendor because the old system was no longer offered by that vendor.

20-Sep-16
Make sure you have a pen or pencil with the license...I've talked with a couple guys who were checked by a game warden and told it's a violation.

20-Sep-16
It's a violation to not have a pen or pencil with you when deer hunting? I'd like to see where that law is written! For that matter when the warden asks to see your pen or pencil tell him no. You do not need to show them anything but your liscence and you do not have to let them inspect your gun, bow, livewell, etc. I completely support wardens and law enforcement but that doesn't mean that I will give up my 4th Amendment rights.

20-Sep-16
I have a conceal carry permit so my pen or pencil is not visible :-)

I think he meant to have pen or pencil to fill out the registration number. Not to write down the number would be a violation.

21-Sep-16
I'm surprised they'd allow a pencil. I also don't see how they'd enforce carrying one with you. I typically don't carry my knife or gutting utensils with me, they're in my fanny pack in the truck. If I shoot something I always exit my stand and return to the vehicle and grab my fanny pack, as well as a cart or whatever I need to drag the deer out. I may call a friend or two. I do this even when I see the deer go down in sight. When I return, then I'll fill out the tag prior to gutting/removing the animal.

21-Sep-16
since these new ones are a pita my friend had a great idea, can I take pictures of my licenses w/ my phone which I am more likely to have on my all the time? Wondering if this is legal since all the info is there

21-Sep-16
Yes, you can store an electronic version of your license on your phone as long ad it's legible. Saving it as a PDF might work better. Your drivers license/ID also had all your license info. You can also opt to carry a GoWild card. I have a GoWild card in my boat and truck and one will go with n my backpack. I don't understand how having multiple options is in any eay a PITA. It used to be if you lost your license, you could not hunt until you got a duplicate in person from DNR office.

21-Sep-16
Why can't we slit the license like we have done for dozens of years while in the woods? Then when be get back to get the call in registration number write in in with whatever is handy. No pencils in the woods just knives (like I have done for 30+ years).

It is really sounding like the new DNR rules are done by "committee". Lots of ideas put together to form 1/2 and arse.

21-Sep-16
Lets see. A paper, non water proof tag and licenses. The need to carry a plastic baggy to cover them if you need to tag the deer. A pen or pencil to write on the paper tag, instead of slitting it with a knife. And, a zip tie if you need to attach the tag. I'm guessing a good way to keep all that "new and improved" stuff together would be a... b-a-c-k-t-a-g !

22-Sep-16
I don't get why so many people are having an issue with this! It doesn't take a taxidermist to figure it out!

Plastic bag, pen or pencil, zip tie, tags! Put those items in the plastic seal-able sandwich bag! Damn!!

22-Sep-16
Per48R-because the old style tyvek tags are no longer an option. The company that supplied the old license with the ALIS system no longer supported the system so something else had to be developed. In addition the hardware was getting old and could not be replaced.

The new system is saving huge amounts of money. If the State wanted to modify ANYTHING under the old system, the cost was tens of thousands of dollars. With the new system changes cost hundred of dollars. In addition there is no specific hardware necessary. Any internet device and printer will work for either an individual or a license outlet.

Replacement licenses and carcass tags can be printed by a hunter at any time for no cost. If you have ever lost your tag and had to wait until a license outlet or DNR office was open to get one, you know how awesome this is.

Paper carcass tags are not ideal, but for the cost savings and the simplicity, I am more than willing to carry a ziploc bag and a pen with me.

22-Sep-16

Konk1's Link
There is no such thing as a carcass tag now. Upon harvesting an animal all you have to do is fill out the date on the tag immediately after recovery. Hence the pen or pencil. If you wait until you get your animal back to the truck to fill in the date, you WILL get a citation. Page 10 covers tagging.

22-Sep-16
I should have said there is no carcass tag to attach to the animal anymore, but you must validate immediately the paper tag.

22-Sep-16
You have to attach the tag to the deer if you leave the animal.

23-Sep-16
Yup skookumjt is correct, u have to attach the tag to the deer if you leave the deer for any reason. So the tag is also a carcass tag as well.

• Sitka Gear