petedrummond 03-Oct-16
Franzen 03-Oct-16
DozRdeer2 03-Oct-16
Vids 03-Oct-16
petedrummond 05-Oct-16
Franzen 05-Oct-16
DozRdeer2 14-Oct-16
21-Sep-16
Did this make it through or we still in the stone ages? Worried too many will not buy permits and fund the broke state?

27-Sep-16
Yes, archery equipment may be used with a firearm deer permit on private land during the firearm deer season this year.

30-Sep-16
Awesome

02-Oct-16
I'm trying to understand the logic behind this........

02-Oct-16
Where does it say this in the rules? I just received my firearm permits and it does not list archery as a legal method of take on the included information sheet.

The only thing I see is that the archery season includes the dates of the firearm seasons in Cook, DuPage, Lake and a portion of Kane counties. In all other counties archery season shuts down during firearm.

I hope it's true, I would prefer to use my bow rather than a shotgun this year.

03-Oct-16
I cant find it its not in the booklet.

03-Oct-16
It's not in the book. Tom, will they come up with something official (I assume), so that we have something to hang our hats on when the time comes? Doesn't really matter to me, as I don't plan on buying an extra permit, but for some of these other guys it would.

03-Oct-16
The following is from the Firearm Deer Hunting Administrative Rule, Part 650 (see item 4); Section 650.30 Statewide Requirements for Hunting Devices a) The only legal hunting devices to take, or attempt to take, deer are: 1) Shotgun, loaded with slugs only, of not larger than 10 nor smaller than 20 gauge, not capable of firing more than 3 consecutive slugs; or 2) A single or double barreled muzzleloading rifle of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in length; or 3) Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches; or 4) On private land only, archery equipment as prescribed by 17 Ill. Adm. Code 670.30, except that crossbows may only be used by persons age 62 and older with a valid photo ID containing proof of age, or by a disabled person to whom the Department has issued a permit to use a crossbow as provided by 17 Ill. Adm. Code 760. Tom

03-Oct-16

Vids's Link
Thanks - Here's a link to make it easier to find for others:

05-Oct-16
The above regs do not seem to require a gun tag for hunting private land. It just doesnt say. Any more info?

05-Oct-16
Pete, Part 650 as a whole covers hunting deer with firearms, which might be a bit misleading with the inclusion of archery tackle now, but is meant to cover the traditional gun seasons. Section 605.20 a) indicates: "All deer hunters must have a current, valid Firearm Deer Permit."

To me there isn't any question that a firearm tag is required. I didn't see anything that would grant an exception for private land in regards to tags, however I did not read every word of the document.

14-Oct-16
Yes, you must have a firearm tag to hunt deer during the firearm deer season, even if you are using archery equipment. The archery deer season closes during the 7-day firearm deer season in those counties open to firearm deer hunting. Tom

• Sitka Gear