Swampy 27-Sep-16
Swampy 27-Sep-16
Reggiezpop 27-Sep-16
CRX32 27-Sep-16
CRX32 11-Oct-16
Sam I Am 11-Oct-16
casekiska 11-Oct-16
22-Sep-16
Here's a technical question for you fellas. I need to have my bow restrung. Is it necessary to have it tuned after it is restrung? I just had the bow tuned last year before the start of the season...if that means anything

22-Sep-16
Both the string and cables should be changed at the same time. Yes, it does get expensive. But for optimum performance from any compound shooting system this is the way to go.

With such replacement the bow should be checked, at the very minimum, for tune. Replacement strings and cables will never be exactly identical to what you had before so the bow's performance will be different. Your brace height, loop or nocking point, peep set-up, and any other string accessories will never be exactly identical. They may be very close, but never identical. For this reason the whole shooting system should be re-tuned so each and every one of the individual components are working together and in harmony with each other.

You said you had the bow tuned last year before the start of the season. With use a bow can go out of tune. Some of the mechanics of the bow can change and your individual shooting form may change over time. I believe it pays to learn how to tune your bow your self so you can stay on top of it's condition and performance. At the very least, learn how to recognize some of the critical components and adjustments. Record or memorize these and become very familiar with your bow, its components, and how it feels when you shoot it. That way, if something changes, you'll know it and can take the appropriate corrective action.

There's stuff on line about setting-up and tuning bows, and there are books available. Plus the fellows at your local pro shop should be willing to help you. Learn all you can about your tackle to get the most out of it. Asking questions like you did is a great beginning. Good luck to you.

23-Sep-16
Do strings and cables come as a set?

23-Sep-16
They come individual and a set. Most, by far, buy a set. The only time I would only change one would be if I had a new string & cable (less than 500 shots) and accidently cut it (BH or sliding peep). Then I would just change the part I wrecked.

The only after market strings I have got were from 60X. They were perfect and I am hard to please (so I've been told more than a few times).

What bow?

27-Sep-16
It's a Hoyt CRX32. 5yrs old, original string. I bought it used 3yrs ago. Not the fastest or fanciest, but extremely accurate

27-Sep-16
Get both. Shoot a while and then tune your bow.

27-Sep-16
CRX32 -

The reason shooting and THEN tuning is suggested is to let the strings and cables "settle in" to the bow and to let any string stretch or creep occur. Then when the bow components have adjusted themselves to each other and the string and cables have reached their final lengths, the bow can be tuned and the adjustments will hold for quite a while.

So, how much do do shoot prior to tuning? Opinions on this may vary somewhat but I would say at the minimum at least 100 arrows.

27-Sep-16
I've found changing out string's on a good number of bow's . The new string material's have very little to no stretch if bought from a good maker . Now in the old day's they never stopped stretching . LOL

27-Sep-16
I've found changing out string's on a good number of bow's . The new string material's have very little to no stretch if bought from a good maker . Now in the old day's they never stopped stretching . LOL

27-Sep-16
I got a new string about a month ago. I had to make a few adjustments, so I decided to increase my draw weight after about 300 arrows. Not quite starting from scratch, but it was fun getting dialed back in.

27-Sep-16
Right on. I'll shoot it a few weeks, then tune it. I usually don't hunt until Halloween, then I flip flop between traditional and compound

11-Oct-16
New string is on. Shot it a few hundred times, then had it tuned. I use a HSA single pin sight. Bow was shooting low after being tuned. Now at 20yds I'm using my 37yd mark on my old tape. Does that seem right?

11-Oct-16
can very well be - peep in a different location.

11-Oct-16
This is now the third time I have tried to send this message - this time I hope it finally goes through!

So, you put on a new string and shot it to get it stretched out. Then you had your bow tuned and the sight settings are different. Yes, it could be the peep is in a different location, and that may be the first thing I'd check. However, think about this for a minute,...the bow has a different string then it was tuned and all sorts of adjustments may have been made up to and including upper and lower limb tiller adjustments, arrow rest up & down and left & right adjustments, nocking point (or loop) adjustments, brace height adjustments, poundage adjustments, etc., etc. What I am saying is that you had the bow tuned and a great many alterations may have been made. It would be nice if after tuning our bows always shot the same, but oftentimes they do not. After tuning you hope they are reasonably close, but that is not always the case. I agree that now having to use a 37 yard sight setting for a 20 yard shot seems excessive, but when you consider all that was done this may not be a sign of trouble. Another thing to think about,...could it be that previously you bow was so far out of adjustment, that what is correct now actually seems to be incorrect? Who knows? But, if you bow is shooting well, if the arrows are flying true, grouping, and hitting where you aim, and if they are not fish tailing or porpoising, perhaps you should accept this "new" normal. If you still have doubts you could ask for a re-tune or take it to another pro-shop. Without actually seeing and shooting the bow, it is difficult to tell for certain what is or is not wrong with a bow. You might just want to give it a little time, see how it goes and enjoy the soon-to-be-here best two weeks of the fall hunting season. I wish you well and good luck in the woods this fall.

• Sitka Gear