Dr. Deer 23-Sep-16
bb 23-Sep-16
Gene 23-Sep-16
steve 23-Sep-16
GF 23-Sep-16
Bloodtrail 24-Sep-16
bigbuckbob 26-Sep-16
23-Sep-16
Pat has nothing on me when it comes to cursed elk hunting. I first tried in 1991 and am still trying. Probably 10 hunts in 25 years. I have missed them every way you can miss them. High, Low, behind (running elk), and deflections. I have been caught drawing numerous times and drew too early sometimes. I go back and forth, recurve, longbow, compound. I have switched between expand-ables and fixed blade heads. Usually with no particular regrets, because I never seem to hit them. But I love it more than any other type of hunting.

This year in NM I was hunting in a familiar area of public ground and the elk were just not talking at all in daylight. Full moon, 84 degree days, 40 degree nights. I went to a spot that is sort of a funnel and had seen elk around two nights before. 30 minutes before sunset I spotted the top of a cows head below me so I tensed my string a little and got ready to shoot. Two more cows joined and went behind some cover. When they emerged I'd shoot any one of them. Then a bull appears without a sound and I draw. I stop him before he hits the cows by calling with my voice. I get on target with the 40 yard pin and send a Maxima red with a Tekkan 3 blade expandable head (500 grain total) from my 65lb Halon. I hear it hit but don't see the actual impact (why didn't I have a light nock!!??!). He spins and I think I see just 5" of fletch sticking out and he crashes off. Cows bark for a while. 30 min later I find tracks, hair, the fill length arrow minus the head. Blood doesn't stick to those shafts well so it's hard to tell penetration. I follow tracks 40 yards, no blood at all. I back out and return in the morning with to other friends. We found a few specks that led about 70 yards and then nothing. Followed trails, grid searched for the next 3 days of my hunt. Never saw or heard scavengers and I was there before light till after dark to listen for coyotes. I climbed a nearby higher mountain so I could glass downwards with my 15's from half a mile away from last sign. Checked into getting a plane but the only one around is piloted by a 70-something gent who is touched in the head. The craft is held together with duct tape and quick ties. Searched for tracking dogs and the closest guy was six hours away and wasn't available anyway. At the end of the third day my hunt was over. I will never give up, and someday it will happen. Just not in 2016

23-Sep-16
Elk are really tough, whole different world from whitetail hunting. Mechanicals have their place but not for Elk. A quality fixed blade that you can shoot well is the best medicine. People kill elk with mechanicals but there really is a disproportionate amount of elk lost due to poor penetration from mechs on Elk. Not saying that this particular instance is the case but just some food for thought. Other things to keep in mind....Especially when they are not being vocal, sitting water is a great option. Usually the biggest bulls and your best chance is over water. when it's hot and dry, elk water every day, sometimes multiple times, a good tank that they are hitting is the place to be.

when calling elk do less of it and work on getting in very close before you work them with a call, Raking trees, with a stick rather than calling is very effective, keep calling to a minimum.

A common mistakes hunters make is drawing the bow when the elk are behind a bush or tree, They will usually spot you drawing and stop and hang up behind the tree. Draw when they step into the open and you have a clear shot when they stop. they will usually stop and give you a shot when they see you draw. Or draw well in advance of them getting to you, in this scenario, timing is everything.

Just a couple of tidbits that come to mind having observed these as common mistakes

23-Sep-16
Dr Deer - You can't say that you didn't try! I hit a bull in the shoulder blade several years ago and had the same results as you. We looked for 2 days and found nothing but the arrow minus broadhead and an inch or so of shaft. I have made 5 elk hunts, the last in 2012, and did take a cow on one of those trips. If I could only hunt one animal every year it would be elk, preferably in high country.

23-Sep-16
Sorry to hear ,good luck next time

23-Sep-16
I got my brother into Bowhunting for Elk about 20 years ago. Like he said - it's starting to get personal!

24-Sep-16
Hunting elk with the bow is a disease. And the only cure is more elk hunting!!

That stinks about your most recent hunt. My buddy and I and doing a DIY next September in Montana. We've each killed a nice bull on our two previous trips. This time we are trying to kill two on the same trip.

The planning, training and mental part of the hunt is way harder than the actual hunt itself. Can't wait to be in the mountains next September.

When's your next trip?

26-Sep-16
Dr - sorry to hear about your hunt results! Those are the kind of things that will haunt your memories for the rest of your life. I know from personal experience. But as you know, getting into the elk and getting a shot is so exciting! It is a disease.

I'm trying to put together a trip myself.

• Sitka Gear