Mike F 27-Sep-16
riverrigger 27-Sep-16
SILVER BUCK 28-Sep-16
Amoebus 28-Sep-16
dapper 28-Sep-16
RutnStrut 28-Sep-16
Tweed 29-Sep-16
25-Sep-16
Son and I decided to go put up a new ladder stand today before the Packer game.After debating on several trees we decide on one /I put ladder assist post (sold at Fleet Farm) on the bottom section We then easily walked the stand up to the tree.Just as the platform hit the top of the tree I felt a sharp pain on the side of my hand.Looked down and saw it was a hornet or yellow jacket , what ever u want to call it.And just like that there were hundreds of them .Of all the places in the woods I had put the bottom of the stand right on top of their nest.They were not happy and neither were we.It was quite the scene I got stung 3 times and my son about 4 or 5.He had previously got stung bad last week and was already on medication for it.Need less to say we did not finish putting up the stand . Rode home with a bag of ice on the front console between us.So be careful out there.

26-Sep-16
Raking lawn the girlfriend disturbed a bunch, ran in the house screaming, jumped in the shower, counted 12 welts, stayed in the shower for awhile because those feel like a burn from fire. Nasty insects!

26-Sep-16
Ouch. While its been awhile since I was stung, my fear of snakes surpasses a bee sting. Hate those things!

26-Sep-16
Happened to me many years ago. Almost identical situation, set the base of the stand almost directly on top of the nest. Multiple stings and a hasty retreat. Not good for someone who has an allergic reaction!

26-Sep-16
Happened to me 2 years ago while looking for the right tree and location to put a bear bait at. I stepped on a nest and got nailed a few times. We quit looking at that spot real quick.

Then a week later while dragging my partners bear out in the dark we dragged the bear over a nest and two of us got nailed. Several of them hid in the bears fur, it was cold so we just packed ice in the bear and left it till morning. In the morning we found about 10 of them still half asleep from the cold.

They are nasty and quite dangerous if you are even just a little allergic to their stings.

26-Sep-16
Had it happen a couple times myself walking dogs out from a bear tree. I hate ground bee's they are super aggressive at all times.

26-Sep-16
I got lucky a few weeks ago... I was out in the woods planning to rebuild a couple ground blinds for gun season. One of the brush blinds I began reshaping and was pulling some brush apart when I started to hear a humming sounds that got louder and louder. It was early morning and cool out, and I think that is what saved my hide. I looked down in time to see a section of the blind all covered in leaves and pine needles vibrating like a jack-hammer... then it dawned on me and I took off running.

Never got stung, but as I slowly approached the blind again about a minute later the enter left side was swarming with hundreds of yellow-jackets.

26-Sep-16
Same exact scenario happened to my buddy. German yellow jackets tore him up. He ran blindly from them, and clobbered his head on a tree. I nearly pissed myself laughing. He was stung in the leg, groin and belly about 20 times. I forgot how bad they hurt when I was nailed just once this year!

27-Sep-16
The worst are Bald Faced Hornets. They attack white light at night and are real fierce. A blow torch works good on them.

I have been seeing a lot of them on the bear baits.

27-Sep-16
When my son was 3 years old i took him out in the woods when i put up a tree stand. While i was up in the tree, my son, at the bottom of the tree was yelling and screaming. I didn't realize what was going on and i got down as fast as i could only to find out he was being swarmed by ground bees. i picked him up and ran as fast as i could till we got away from them. He had between 10 and 20 stings on his head and arms. i had a couple. I thank his lucky stars he was not alergic.

28-Sep-16
I got stung while out riding my bike 2 years ago. I think it was a wasp , it dove down at my head and stung me in the eye lid . Looked like I had skin colored egg on my eye . Then had to drive to work , with a bunch of electrical contractors hanging around , joking about momma clubbing me . Nasty deal

28-Sep-16
I ran a trail race a while back. There was a downhill stretch that caused everyone to really slow down because it was full of rocks (Superior Hiking Trail).

As each person passed the middle of the downhill, you could hear them yell. I didn't know what was with all the excitement but found out when I got stung 3 times. The 2nd 1/2 of the hill went a lot faster than the first 1/2.

Interesting that I had ~40 miles to go and the stings never reacted too much. I think my body was too busy sending resources to other pains in my legs and body.

28-Sep-16
A number of years ago I went to a favorite treestand for the first time that fall. My stand was in a big tree but about twenty feet up I used a couple branches from a nearby smaller tree as steps just before reaching my stand. Unkownst to me there was a paper wasp nest hanging in the little tree. I didn't see it with all the leaf cover on the trees. Needless to say they didn't like me shaking their little tree and I had to maneuver down the trees with them attacking and stinging me.

28-Sep-16
I am very allergic. Makes for some interesting days since I do property management for a living. Let's just say the rise in price in Epi pens hits me hard.

29-Sep-16

Tweed's Link
That sucks Rut. Well the above link should make you feel a tad better.

• Sitka Gear