Best mule deer unit
Wyoming
Contributors to this thread:
crooked arrow 26-Sep-16
Topgun 30-06 06-Nov-16
Franzen 22-Nov-16
Topgun 30-06 30-Nov-16
26-Sep-16
Hey guys I'm a 70 year old guy in pretty good shape without enough funds to hire an outfitter but was hoping you all could help me? What unit would you put in for considering the above restrictions and you had maximum preference points? Thanks

06-Nov-16
Region G without a doubt and you're a shoein to draw a regular tag with max points.

22-Nov-16
I think you would want to be in amazing shape at age 70 to be able to hunt big bucks with a bow in Region G? I'm definitely far from an expert muley guy, but access to the big bucks is generally pretty strenuous in my opinion. I know Topgun has hunted there, as have I (just not for muleys).

30-Nov-16
I've been in G the last two years and it was on horseback both times with an outfitter, last year for deer in late September and this year with the same resident friend who had a bull moose and a deer tag in early October. I'm 69 and also in very good shape for my age, but to do Region G justice the high areas where most of the good animals are need to be accessed on horseback or they will eat your lunch. There is a big outfit in the Star Valley that rents horses and tack at what I consider very reasonable prices, but if you don't know horses I wouldn't go the rental route without having someone knowledgeable on horses along on the trip. The deer my buddy got last year was in the 180s, while mine was in the 170" class. This year he got a 193" nontypical along with a nice 38" Shiras bull.

• Sitka Gear