26-Sep-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo

26-Sep-16
Congrats on the first!

26-Sep-16
Congrats

26-Sep-16
Thanks Steve and spike78. This was the most memorable moment of my life. After a spike jumping my arrow i was totally disappointed. She cake in off to the side and entered I just a little patch to where she was unshootable. She sat there without flinching or moving staring a me for literally ten minutes.. I could of sworn it was an eternity. Eventually she put her head back down and that's when I drew and took the shot.. Il never forget this hunt being my first deer and I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to take such an amazing animal

26-Sep-16
Well done young man

26-Sep-16
congrats nice deer.

26-Sep-16
Nice job

26-Sep-16
You never forget your first,deer even...lol..CONGRATS!!!!

26-Sep-16
Great Deer!

27-Sep-16
Congrats

27-Sep-16
shawnm

now is the time to think about everything you did right. Every time you have deer coming in you need to remember all of the things you did right and wrong so you can repeat success.

One other thing is nice to do - type up your memories, print them out and put them with your trophy. When you get to be my age you'll be able pull that paper out and relive all of the small things that you may have forgotten. When I go elk hunting out west I do a daily video of the day and I thoroughly enjoy reliving the experience.

Congrats on your first.

27-Sep-16
Thank you bigbuckbob. I think that is a great idea and actually that's exactly what I'm going to do. A diary or journal would be great for my son to read to. Being the first year hunting myself and not having anyone to talk to or hunt with is kinda a bummer. My father was an avid hunter who became an alcoholic and lost his guns and sold his whole life for a bottle. My brother who also was big into hunting just recently passed. I'm on my own so all this info you guys give me I truly take into consideration and really appreciate it. Thanks once again

27-Sep-16
Congratulations!

27-Sep-16
Glad you have the motivation to hunt after your brother and father, must not be easy. Hunting is the one thing I do where I can escape thoughts and crappy things going on.

27-Sep-16
Shawn,

Great job and I echo what Bob told you; keeping a journal is a great idea, especially as you grow as a hunter. Take note of things like time of day, wind direction, temp, food source(s) hunted, age and number(s) of deer seen.

Consider it the equivalent of putting a puzzle together. Each piece you add the picture gets clearer. Each "piece" of knowledge you absorb makes you a better hunter.

Always remember too that you are the person who decides what is a trophy, a great deer, a successful hunt. Each of us has our own motivations and one size does not fit all.

That first deer? Absolutely a trophy of epic proportions. Be proud of what you've accomplished, be resolved to be the best you can be (and you decide what that "level" will be) and above all, have fun and pass it on to your son and anyone else you can share your love of the hunt with.

Kudos and continued best wishes!

28-Sep-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Thanks mike for the words of wisdom. I have taken my son Alex on every scouting adventure and he helped me build a beautiful ground blind. I'm getting him his first bow this year. Just a little target practice one but he's very excited.

28-Sep-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Thanks mike for the words of wisdom. I have taken my son Alex on every scouting adventure and he helped me build a beautiful ground blind. I'm getting him his first bow this year. Just a little target practice one but he's very excited.

• Sitka Gear