Jeff in MN 28-Sep-16
casekiska 28-Sep-16
Swampy 28-Sep-16
PB in WI 29-Sep-16
Braunschweiger 29-Sep-16
27-Sep-16
Wow....

27-Sep-16
Almost always a little luck involved but he was out there. The only thing that is for sure is that you can't kill one from the couch.

27-Sep-16
Neighbor to a co worker. Adams County, nice deer and I hear he's a very nice guy.

Very nice!

28-Sep-16
He could have at least waited long enough for that monster to spread his genes one last season. Where does a guy go from a start at deer hunting like that. How will he ever do any better?

28-Sep-16
Jeff, the satisfaction is in the hunt as much or more than in the kill. The anticipation, the hope and enjoyment during the hunt. He may never and most likely never will kill a larger buck but all the other components will be there each and every time he, or any of us, engage in the hunt.

28-Sep-16
Wow. Whatamonster!

28-Sep-16
"I suddenly stopped shaking as I saw the bigger bodied deer coming towards the water."

Huh? That is the opposite of humans. This guy is the Iceman!

28-Sep-16
Great stuff!

What a beautiful buck and a great story to go with it. He needs to go and buy a lottery ticket while he has the hot hand!

28-Sep-16
What a great story! This fellow did everything right and it all paid off for him. He has a lot to be proud of and I am sure he will remember this for all time. Maybe the single drawback to arrowing such a trophy is that he will probably never be able to top it, or even come close.

Congratulations though to a very fortunate first time bowhunter. Good for you & way to go! You honored the memory of Dave and your buddies who convinced and then taught you to bowhunt. Their skills and Dave's bow were passed along to you. Bowhunters helping bowhunters - could it get any better?

Thanks "Camp 2 dukes" for posting the story.

28-Sep-16
Holy crap! Great deer, a great story, and a great tribute to his FIL.

28-Sep-16
I have lived and hunted in adams county wi. for 40 years and i would love to see a buck like that just once. You really had something going for you on that day. Congratulations on a great buck and a great story to boot!

28-Sep-16
The guy kept at it despite having a rough go with few sightings to start. There's a lot to be said for that...especially for someone new to the venture.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" - Seneca

28-Sep-16
Casekiska has a good point. I shot a nice PY buck back in 2002 and since then I started passing on smaller bucks. At least two or three years I can recall I passed on bucks I should have taken because they were good bucks and the best I would see those years. I hunt my own land so maybe that is it. Ha

Congrats to this hunter though. Very nice deer!

Bill

28-Sep-16

WIbowhunter365's embedded Photo
i had an encounter with that buck last year in November chasing a doe out of a clear cut. I heard him coming grunting and the doe came past and stopped at about 20 yds and then she took off back in to clear cut here he came I knew right away that it was him. i was all ready full drawn but he stopped behind a clump of trees at less then 20yds all i could see to shoot at was his guts back so no shot. He stood there for seemed like for ever then just turned away from me and took off back after the doe never giving me a good shot. He came back out about 60 yds from me again and and i gave him everything i had LOL he went back in clear cut back towards me and just vanished never saw him again. lots of trail cam pics though. I saw him 3 different times in fields this summer in daylight plus trail cam pics of him. It was a incredible site to see him in real life. Sad for me not to be able to hunt him this year but happy for the hunter who did shoot him great story.

28-Sep-16

Here's a couple from last year.

28-Sep-16

28-Sep-16
Yes he will have a future in bow hunting. What I meant was most of us shoot something like maybe an average 6 pointer at the start. Big thrill. Then maybe a couple years later an average 8 then a nice 8, then in a while a big 8. Then that first 10, I remember that one well. Huge thrill. Got to work late that day, like 2:00 PM. All those steps up to the next level provide a new thrill unlike all the rest. For him, not sure an 8 pointer or even an nice 10 will give him a serious thrill after starting at the top. I hope it does, that's what keeps you sharp.

One thing for sure, now we all know any of us can do it. Right preparation, dedication, attention to details, and a LOT of luck is 'all' it takes.

28-Sep-16
Good post "Jeff in MN" - Good recipe for success. You didn't just hit the nail on the head, you blew it out the other side! I think we all can tell you've been around the block a time or two.

28-Sep-16
I pass up deer like that every year . Just so I have something to look forward to . OK I'm lying . I'd give my left nut for a deer like that . Don't use um much anymore anyway .

29-Sep-16
Great story. I've got the same bow he has, a Mathews Drenalin, but nothing close to that buck. Sounds like it couldn't happened to a nicer guy too.

He said, "I was convinced that I had bad luck, and my excitement was drained." There really was no "luck" involved. He had absorbed all that hunting knowledge he could from the other guys, he practiced, stuck with it, went hunting when the other guys were napping, walked in instead of using the four wheeler, was cool under pressure, and got the job done. I would say he knows more than some guys who have hunted for years and are never "lucky."

29-Sep-16
Wow what a pig!

There's another one of those guys with the "Premonition Thing" going on. Some people sure got it.

Me, on the other hand, when my expectations are high I usually see sqwat, It's when I LEAST expect it is when things just miraculously come together.

Great Story!

If there's firewood to cut for the cabin, I bet I know who's gonna be doing it! LOL.

• Sitka Gear