Will tell 04-Oct-16
Bob McArthur 04-Oct-16
stickhunter 10-Oct-16
Brad Gehman 13-Oct-16
outpostdave 13-Oct-16
Teeton 13-Oct-16
George D. Stout 15-Oct-16
02-Oct-16
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/2014/0 7/sniff-test-scent-control-products-and- practices-vs-a-drug-dog

I don't know if any of you guys read this or not, but it sure does make me lose confidence in my scent control strategy.

02-Oct-16
I did not read the article, here is what I do for scent control.

I DO NOT BUY scent control Clothing.

I do shower before my hunts with cheap Dove Scent Free soap.

I also wash my clothes in cheap scent free detergent.

I wear Muck boots rubber boots.

I pay very close attention to the wind when choosing my stand location. I stay VERY VERY still when hunting. I kill deer every year.

02-Oct-16

TB's Link
Scent control clothing, spray, etc... is a joke. It may be scent free to humans, but not to a deer, dog, bear, etc...

If you want to read some interesting information on lures, bait, cover scent read the Maryland Bowhunter's survey results at this location http://dnr2.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/bhsurvey.aspx

02-Oct-16
I use a product called nose jammer. it works very well.

02-Oct-16
I haven't bought into those gimmicks and can't imagine a reason I ever would. It's a no for me either way.

If in fact they don't work, I wouldn't waste my money.

In the off chance they DO work, I don't want the crutch.

02-Oct-16
I hunt the critters upwind of me. If they're down wind they know you are there. Nothing you can do, wear, treat, or spray is going to get past the nose of a deer.

Try still hunting wild hogs if you want a lesson in playing the wind. They have a nose far superior to a deer and explode out and keep on running at the first whiff.

03-Oct-16
Well, that about covers it, pun intended.

03-Oct-16
Don't use so-called scent lok clothing. Do use unscented soap and laundry detergent. Shower before each hunt if possible, and if sweat a lot, I use the spray. Keep hunting clothes in a Rubbermaid tub.

04-Oct-16
Tree rat

I wish every bow hunter would read your post. Then read it again.

Right on.

04-Oct-16
Tree rat is on the money. My favorite stands are the ones that deer come from all directions in the middle of the woods. I don't hunt along the edges of fields but like the deep woods. I figure if the winds blowing in one direction that leaves three other directions the deer will come in.

04-Oct-16
What ever RC uses it doesn't work, he still smell like an old fart.

10-Oct-16
Totally agree Mike. I collect those pods every chance I get. Big difference between that and the puff bottles. I still use both but like the milk weed better.

13-Oct-16
Going to use the milkweed this weekend.

13-Oct-16
All very good comments! Mike you are absolutely right on your observation that the wind is like water. It flows and eddies around obstacles , field edges and terrain changes. I liked to use milkweed fuzz (please cut off the seeds, we don't need to introduce it where it isn't), until I found I was highly allergic to it. I would rather hunt a higher speed consistent wind than one of those seemingly "dead calm" days when given the chance, as the wind is more predictable, but like you mentioned you are still influenced by topography.

13-Oct-16
I also agree with Mike. I never tell people what to do,, only what I do.. They can take it from there.

Now I've never use that nose jammer stuff Buckster chatted about,, but have a few long time hunter friends that like it. Anyone know how that stuff works?? Is it like bears spray that's make their noses run or something like that? Do you just put it on a rag?? What? I know I can just go to there web site. But I'm pretty sure I'll only get one side of the story. Ed

15-Oct-16
They've known for years that bloodhounds can find a person with a seven to ten day old time lapse. The problem comes when a guy uses it, then kills a deer, then automatically says..."it worked for me." Saturday in SGL 48, I walked just a mile round trip and found four different wind directions on a day of very light breeze. Happens all the time down here in these ridges. You learn to expect it but it's not always consistent. That is also part of hunting. I used buck lure back in the 70's and the first time out I had deer snorting all over the ridge. Haven't bought any more since the mid1980's....last time I tried it.

• Sitka Gear