DeerBuilder.com
Good luck youth on their upcoming hunts!
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Pasquinell 02-Oct-16
Pete-pec 02-Oct-16
Pasquinell 02-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 02-Oct-16
Mike F 02-Oct-16
TrapperJack2 02-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 02-Oct-16
Drop Tine 02-Oct-16
Crusader dad 03-Oct-16
CaptMike 03-Oct-16
Tweed 03-Oct-16
Swampy 03-Oct-16
RJN 03-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 03-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 03-Oct-16
happygolucky 03-Oct-16
RJN 03-Oct-16
Tweed 03-Oct-16
Redclub 03-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 03-Oct-16
CaptMike 03-Oct-16
TD Bauer 04-Oct-16
Duke 04-Oct-16
Swampy 04-Oct-16
RJN 04-Oct-16
retro 04-Oct-16
Crusader dad 04-Oct-16
RJN 04-Oct-16
RutnStrut 04-Oct-16
Tweed 05-Oct-16
JRW 05-Oct-16
happygolucky 05-Oct-16
LilZim 05-Oct-16
SteveD 05-Oct-16
Swampy 05-Oct-16
LTL JimBow 05-Oct-16
Grunter 05-Oct-16
happygolucky 05-Oct-16
Tit Baby 05-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 05-Oct-16
Tit Baby 05-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 05-Oct-16
Reggiezpop 05-Oct-16
Tit Baby 05-Oct-16
Tit Baby 05-Oct-16
Novice 05-Oct-16
Tit Baby 05-Oct-16
Tit Baby 05-Oct-16
Novice 05-Oct-16
Swampy 05-Oct-16
Buckyeah 05-Oct-16
CaptMike 06-Oct-16
PB in WI 06-Oct-16
Crusader dad 06-Oct-16
LilZim 06-Oct-16
Konk1 06-Oct-16
LilZim 06-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 06-Oct-16
RUGER1022 06-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 06-Oct-16
Swampy 06-Oct-16
WausauDug 06-Oct-16
retro 06-Oct-16
CaptMike 06-Oct-16
CaptMike 06-Oct-16
retro 06-Oct-16
RJN 06-Oct-16
bowhuntndoug 06-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 06-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 06-Oct-16
Tit Baby 06-Oct-16
Tit Baby 06-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 06-Oct-16
Mike F 06-Oct-16
CaptMike 06-Oct-16
Tweed 07-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 07-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 07-Oct-16
retro 07-Oct-16
Konk1 07-Oct-16
GoJakesGo 07-Oct-16
LilZim 07-Oct-16
CaptMike 07-Oct-16
Tit Baby 07-Oct-16
HunterR 07-Oct-16
happygolucky 07-Oct-16
Swampy 07-Oct-16
Tweed 07-Oct-16
CaptMike 07-Oct-16
Swampy 07-Oct-16
Tit Baby 07-Oct-16
Tit Baby 07-Oct-16
Mike F 07-Oct-16
LilZim 07-Oct-16
CaptMike 07-Oct-16
happygolucky 07-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 07-Oct-16
RJN 07-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 07-Oct-16
Tit Baby 07-Oct-16
Tit Baby 07-Oct-16
Swampy 07-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 07-Oct-16
Tit Baby 07-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 07-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 07-Oct-16
Crusader dad 08-Oct-16
Swampy 08-Oct-16
Crusader dad 08-Oct-16
Swampy 08-Oct-16
bowhuntndoug 08-Oct-16
Crusader dad 08-Oct-16
CaptMike 08-Oct-16
happygolucky 08-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 08-Oct-16
xtroutx 08-Oct-16
CaptMike 09-Oct-16
TD Bauer 10-Oct-16
Novice 10-Oct-16
Tit Baby 10-Oct-16
Novice 10-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 10-Oct-16
Tweed 10-Oct-16
CaptMike 10-Oct-16
Tit Baby 10-Oct-16
CaptMike 10-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 10-Oct-16
RUGER1022 11-Oct-16
Novice 11-Oct-16
Elkaddict 11-Oct-16
Mike F 11-Oct-16
happygolucky 11-Oct-16
BowBrother 11-Oct-16
happygolucky 13-Oct-16
Badger Bucks 13-Oct-16
deerslayer 13-Oct-16
Bow Crazy 14-Oct-16
happygolucky 14-Oct-16
Screwball 14-Oct-16
CaptMike 14-Oct-16
SteveD 15-Oct-16
happygolucky 15-Oct-16
CaptMike 15-Oct-16
Crusader dad 16-Oct-16
Mike F 16-Oct-16
SteveD 17-Oct-16
Drop Tine 17-Oct-16
02-Oct-16
I just want to reach out to all the youth hunters and wish them much success in their special day coming up!

02-Oct-16
Heartfelt! You are a good man Pete!

02-Oct-16
Thanks Pete.

02-Oct-16
Nice of you to say. We will be out trying, my 15 year old and I. Have a lot of pics at the right time of the evening and morning including some big ones.

Have not bow hunted that area just to leave it alone till next weekend.

02-Oct-16
Thanks Pete! Taking two young men next weekend with their Dad's and one Grandpa. I hope the deer cooperate.

Let's all Hunt Safe!

02-Oct-16
Can bow hunters still take a buck this weekend and do all hunters including bow hunters need to wear blaze orange?

02-Oct-16
Pasq -

Apparently you've fallen down - suffered some head trauma -

What gives - new outlook on life?

Good luck kids....

02-Oct-16
All hunters except waterfowl hunters need to wear blaze orange. I'm not sure on your first question. Never looked into it as I'm bear hunting that weekend.

03-Oct-16
Good luck to the kids, this will be my nieces second year, and my nephews first year. Both would prefer to be bow hunting but neither can pull a bow back yet.

03-Oct-16
I cannot believe I have to wear orange and share the woods with some little, entitled munchkins, just so their dads can shoot their deer for them. There is already a week+ long season when they should be made to hunt in their orange underwear, just so they gain a better appreciation for hunting! When will this craziness stop? Real men want/need this weekend for themselves. Great! Now I just have to hope my bucks make it through this senseless attack.

Of course that is said tongue in cheek. My kids are far beyond being able to participate in this hunt but I support it whole-heartedly. Good luck!

03-Oct-16
CaptMike I've been waiting for someone to respond just like that! Maybe we're finally becoming more civil here?

03-Oct-16
I'll keep my feelings to myself , or everyone would hate me .

03-Oct-16
As a bow hunter I believe the youths have 60+ days of bowhunting before gun season or if they can't pull back a bow they can look through a scope and pull the trigger on a crossgun. I can't find one reason to have a youth season with shotguns and rifles but that is my own opinion. With the lower temps this weekend, I will be bowhunting and any youth I know can come with.

03-Oct-16
Good Swampy! I'd hate to hate you!

03-Oct-16
Good Swampy! I'd hate to hate you!

RJN - It's called "opportunity" and it's all about Fathers/sons/daughter, Mom/sons and daughter along with Grandpa/Grandma and the rest of the crew.

This is nothing more than selfishness on the part of anyone like RJN who think "there" buck will be shot or their deer weekend is compromised.

It doesn't effect them, people like Pasq and RJN.... at all, but I think they have a problem with anyone, including children, having an opportunity they are not directly benefitting from.

Pretty sad stuff.......

Let the kids hunt with their family and friends, take a nap and by the time ya wake up - it'll be over - FCS....

Thanks Capt Mike for a great post!

03-Oct-16
Another annual rite of passage.

Add this to the vast list of items that make bowhunters a very divided group.

03-Oct-16
I think the youth season hurts more than helps because the kids are expecting instant success without having to put little to nothing into it. Bowhunting will teach them everything to sustain young hunters and allow them to take in everything hunting offers. Again, with cross guns legal their is more than enough opportunity. It is what it is, jmo.

03-Oct-16
RJN then why not just get rid of gun season all together? Or I know! Mandatory bow hunting for 2 straight years before yoi can gun hunt...you know...to build appreciation lol

03-Oct-16
I have 2 kids coming here. Good for them

03-Oct-16
I don't have an issue with the youth hunt. Although it does have its pros and cons.

Good luck to the kids this weekend.

03-Oct-16

04-Oct-16
I hunt public land, so the youth hunt does affect my area a little. Not as much as I have expected in the past. Just enough where I see a few trucks parked along the sides of the various logging roads. I don't think I have ever seen any youth hunters around where I bow hunt. Nor have I noticed any deer running around/away from hunters.

I sometimes use this weekend to go harvest a few squirrels for squirrel pot pies that I love to make and eat.

I got a nephew that is going to be old enough to youth hunt next year if it is still around, and I suspect it will be.

04-Oct-16
Good luck to all parents and youth heading out to the stands/blinds. Be safe and enjoy the time together. Your success will be in the memories you share.

Youth Season: It is good stuff. Great time of the year to have it, whereas bow hunting is pretty much at its slowest time during the 3 month plus season we have to enjoy and the weather is good. -Two days of seeing a scattered amount of youth enjoying the fall with parents is great.

Keep the youth involved and away from the televisions and electronics!

04-Oct-16
A lot of people say it's a bonding time . I thought bonding should go on 365 day's a year . If a guy want's you can take the kid's all season . As far as keeping the kid's from the TV or electronics , two day's a year isn't gonna cut it .

04-Oct-16
With the coldest Temps coming this weekend it should be good hunting, does anyone know if you can shoot a buck with a bow?

04-Oct-16
The youth hunt should be the first weekend in November. It would maximize their opportunity by giving them the woods when deer activity is at its highest.

04-Oct-16
RJN, Yes, you can still shoot a buck with your bow. Just remember to wear orange. I'll be out with the bow for an hour or so before church on Sunday. My first hunt of the year!

04-Oct-16
Good Luck!!

04-Oct-16
Good luck to the kids hunting this weekend. My 14 year old daughter opted out. She said she doesn't want or need a special season. This is the same daughter that was pi$$ed at me for buying her a crossbow when she hurt her wrist. That thing will hang in the game room and collect dust. I'm always proud of my kids. But sometimes I'm extra proud of them.

05-Oct-16
My buddy is taking his son for the first time this weekend. I wish them well.

Hoping to take my daughter for her first time next year.

05-Oct-16
I've never understood why bowhunters get almost four months to hunt and then whine when kids get an extra two days with guns. Seems a bit silly to me.

05-Oct-16
"The youth hunt should be the first weekend in November. It would maximize their opportunity by giving them the woods when deer activity is at its highest. "

You are correct there but it might be too cold for the little fellas at that time of year. I think that is the reason they do it when they do it so no fingers or toes get cold. For the record, I am not opposed to the youth hunt at all but see no real need for it either. I did take my daughter on 1 youth hunt but did not take my son. Swampy nailed it above.

05-Oct-16
New guy to the site. This is my 2nd year taking my son out. Since he was about 7 i've started to get him more involved in hunting and being around hunting activities. He just completed hunter safety this summer, and based on the pictures i've got on camera over the last few months, he's more jacked the ever!

I completely support the youth hunt as a way to ease kids into it. While I know my son is jacked up, I need to see how he reacts should he shoot something. I've seen younger kids before lose interest when they shoot "bambi", I don't think that will happen, but need to see. Besides, teaching him about nature/wildlife while we are in stand does a lot of good. Keeping our fingers crossed we get a bruiser to make an early season mistake!

05-Oct-16
I dont care either way about the youth hunt ,but why is it that if someone disagrees or is opposed to it,there labeled by many here as whining or selfish. Or is that the PC norm for those who are on the other side of the fence in regards to their opinion?

05-Oct-16
Just the way it is on the net . Some people say things they wouldn't in real life . Why who knows .

05-Oct-16
The thing is Pasquinell never liked the youth hunt . In fact He vowed never to participate . I was surprised when I saw his post . So I did some investigating , only to find out that his wife is making Pasq take their nephew on the hunt . This kid is the wife’s sisters son . The problem is this kid is big time city slicker all the way . He has no interest in being in the bush for a day or even a few hours . So what is He supposed to do ? , He created this post in hope that he could trick his mind and conscience into liking the hunt , it didn’t work He knows the kid would rather spend the day at the mall , so now they are not going .

05-Oct-16
Kinda creepy ^^^^

05-Oct-16
"but why is it that if someone disagrees or is opposed to it,there labeled by many here as whining or selfish"

There are definitely a couple/few people who need to ridicule others, usually via name calling, when someone opines differently than they do. There is no right or wrong on this, with most other items that divide bowhunters. Many just want to convince others they are right.

05-Oct-16
So tired of the liberal hunters downing anyone who opposes this cry baby give them what they want season. Its to cold its to hard we need to recruit blah blah blah. Hell with the kids if they don't seek it out for themselves then to bad let it go. Stop putting diapers on these wimp give me everything lazy kids. Who ever is for this season is slowly killing America. If creating I get what ever I want society is what you are after then your going to get it. Good luck you idiots.

05-Oct-16
T.B. name fits.

05-Oct-16
Exactly Elk you nailed it. It describes them perfectly. And you if you support this.

05-Oct-16
I support it, participate in it and enjoy every minute of it with my daughters.

It appears you misunderstood my last post.

05-Oct-16
TB- can you please explain what you mean by "liberal hunters"?

05-Oct-16
I hope all you liberal hunters get your little ungrateful babies a deer this weekend that way when it gets cold they can stay at home with there cell phone and game box banging it out. Hope the perfect day comes this sat and sun for you.

05-Oct-16
Keep in mind you could have been taking these soft spoiled pups out since the opener when it was even warmer out and they would not even needed gloves or hats. Why did you not go then? I will tell you why you are gun hunters that are afraid to see little johnny or jenny fail. Pathetic how short sighted you all are. Still wiping there hinders at 10 to 15 years of age. What are you going to tell them when they turn 16? They will stop hunting because they they will not get special treatment.

05-Oct-16
TB did you really just call kids you have never met "idiots?"

05-Oct-16
No I called there parents idiots. Are you one of them?

05-Oct-16
I was born in 1938 and it amazes me how stupid parents are these days. They want little johnny to have everything. Does not have to work for it just here it is johnny. Are you that stupid that you can not see what this is doing. Watch the news tomorrow night and then think back what the news was like just 40 years ago. If you can't see it then you deserve it. Give little jenny everything that's going to work out good for you idiots.

05-Oct-16
"No I called there parents idiots. Are you one of them?"

How's this for you TB, Mr. internet muscles. My good hunting partner is now 15. He started officially hunting at the legal age in this state. He began shooting a martin fiberglass recurve well before that. He accompanied me in the woods many of times while I hunted before he was of age. He did the youth hunt every year he could up until this year. Once he could pull legal bow weight, he's been bowhunting ever since. He's now 15 and on his 3rd bow. He hunted every weekend this season until this weekend. Even got his first deer bow kill (already got a turkey with a bow) opening weekend this year. He decided he's not hunting this coming weekend (youth hunt) because he'd rather bow hunt. This despite the fact our camp will be hosting at least 4 other youth hunters. He goes to camp year round, helps with chores, cutting wood, scouting, hanging stands, food plots, driving the tractor, etc. If that makes me an idiot, I guess so then. Would not change it for the world. Guess the youth hunt corrupted him over the years. Must be why he chose to skip it this year and focus on bowhunting instead? Oh btw, our camp has helped host a hunt for the disabled many years. Are they cry babies too? Hope you have a great season.

05-Oct-16
Tit Baby I thought I was cranky and crabby . You got me beat hands down . Us old guy's have to look out for each other you know . So I'm reminding you to take your meds.

05-Oct-16
Rookie to the forum. Love the content and to register to tell you all how it is. That is a joke as I gather there are many sensitive types on the thread. I'm not a huge fan of the youth hunt for a couple of reasons. First, I was never allowed to participate. Second, my kids are too young to participate. Third, it does mess my hunting up a wee bit. Yes, selfish me. I guess that's human nature. However, I'm all on board with giving opportunities to any and all children. That also goes for the "city slicker" kids. I can't think of a better gesture than taking out a kid who may come away with a better understanding of hard work, patience and appreciation of nature. If it messes me up a week that makes it more difficult and I actually dig that. Like I said, I don't like the idea but since it's a reality I hope every kid in my area wipes out every mature buck ive seen in the last 5 months. Condradictory. Yes. Confusing. Of course. Correct. Probably not. I guess that's why it's called an opinion.

06-Oct-16
TB, a big mouth who does not have the guts to use his real name. Must be a really tough guy?

06-Oct-16
Cold front this weekend which will get some of the nocturnal deer moving earlier. Like it or not, some big bucks will go down in the youth hunt this weekend.

06-Oct-16
Well stated novice! My oldest son participated one season, no deer. (Now he's too busy working toward an academic/athletic college scholarship to even think about hunting). He works full time for me all summer doing a job he hates and never complains. My youngest son participated his first year as well. No shot opp. Now, he is my bow hunting partner and like me he has no desire to shoot a deer with a gun. The younger boy has been tagging along with me since opening day when he was six years old. He's now thirteen and last year was his first year bow hunting for himself. He's now addicted to the sport. Did he need the youth gun season to get him hooked? Nope! But he did appreciate the chance to kill his own deer even though he couldn't pull a bow back.

I would be willing to bet a paycheck that 90% of the folks against this hunt would have participated in it if it was available to them when they were that age! There are some hypocrites posting here.

06-Oct-16
Well stated Crusader. My son at 11 can't pull enough pounds on a bow to kill a deer, but over the last 3 years as i've taught him to shoot his gun he's taken an interest in getting out and hunting. If this hunt gives him an opportunity to experience the thrill of hunting in general, i'm all for it. With hunting number declining every year, there is a need to get young people engaged. Sometimes its that small trigger, no pun intended, that kids need to peak their interest. I know my son when he sees how excited I am just to get into the woods, it gets him pumped up. Even my 9 year old daughter is showing some interest for next year. If people think I'm taking them out just so I can pull the trigger, well that's their opinion. There is a ton more involved then just shooting a deer, my kids need to learn that even with a gun, it doesn't always mean you get a deer. I've had far more failures then success both gun and bow, but I don't let the failures bother me, anymore. A good lesson for kids to learn if they shoot and miss.

06-Oct-16
"No I called there parents idiots. Are you one of them?"

I'm not a fan of the youth hunt either, but TB that's a little over the top isn't it. One of the things that irritates me about this hunt is hearing about the adults that take the kids hunting just so they, the adults, can fill the kids tags with a monster buck they couldn't otherwise shoot. The idea that this hunt is for hunter recruitment/retention is BS if you ask me. But hey, we have the season and we deal with it. Be safe out there this weekend, I'm sure there will be plenty of bowhunters out there too.

06-Oct-16
Can't speak for others, but I would never shoot to fill my sons tag. As for recruitment depends on how you look at it I guess. It's working for my kids.

06-Oct-16
I think it's amazing how these new guys join in for the first time to express their hate. That's fine but for the future don't expect the known forum member to take you seriously. This is unbelievable.

Tit baby everyone will be glad your gone. You are a little piece for sure. Your (fake) name suites you extremely well.

Who cares about what any of you think. We've discussed this for years on here. It's obvious it's here to stay. So we deal with it. Take a child hunting. Our job is to pass on this heritage. That way hunting remains for generations to come.

06-Oct-16
4 kids & 13 grandkids & we all go fishing during the youth hunt . we don't condemn youth hunters , but we don't believe in it .

06-Oct-16
And herein the problem lies.

How many of you whiners/cry babies contribute anything.....anything to our youth...outside your own spawn? Anything...anyone?

I thought so!

It's all about your deer and the selfish attitude you have adopted to "your" deer and hopefully someone ...some kid doesn't shoot "your" deer. Really sad.

How can we take a topic like children hunting deer and experience the great outdoors and turn it into the trash heap?

You guys are something else.

I really miss those times and cherish those memories...

06-Oct-16
I don't know why we can never accept another persons view on a topic around here without getting bent out of shape and calling names . Holy Smokes . No one says a guys gotta agree with it .

06-Oct-16
TB, did the moderator deny your real handle -Tiny Balls?

06-Oct-16
Bloodtrail, If everyone was responsible enough to take care of their own "spawn", we wouldnt be having a conversation about this.

06-Oct-16
Wausau, LOL!! +1

06-Oct-16
Retro, so you are equating responsibility with hunting? If a person does not hunt then they are not responsible? Glad you said it, now I don't have to point out what a stupid comment that was.

06-Oct-16
Capt. Mike, Go to bed and sleep it off.

06-Oct-16
What year was the youth hunt started and how many more youths are hunting today? There is plenty of opportunity for a parent to take their kid hunting from 9/17 to 11/18 with a bow or cross gun. Then 19 days of taking them with a gun. 2 days of gun hunting gives them false hope of having instant success.

06-Oct-16
I have 2 daughters. Oldest doesn't hunt. We tried but had no success and no youth hunt experience. Youngest hunts. I got to take the younger child on two youth hunts. Got a buck and a doe. Has hunted during regular season. Still hasn't fired a shot. Everything happens so much faster as deer a hurrying. This weekend we will be hunting with our bows. She said she has successfully hunts but it is time to focus on getting one with her bow now. I know people don't like the youth hunt, but my personal experience it that it created one girl that sure loves to hunt. I think if she has only regular gun season experience she would have followed her sister and not hunt.

06-Oct-16
RJN you do have a valid point. I definitely agree with that..

06-Oct-16
There are many things that are not necessary but we all enjoy. You anti-youth hunt guys never seem to give any good reasons why there shouldn't be a youth hunt.

So tell me why we shouldn't have this two day season that probably doesn't impact your own hunting anyway?

Talk like adults now and explain your position.

06-Oct-16
Here they come loads of cars on the way up north by me were there is plenty of public ground. Little jimmy ready to shoot a doe which no other hunters have the right to do. The nice thing about it is jimmy and jenny not only get to do it once but the next 5 years as well. We have a struggling herd trying to recover from over hunting and a predator pit but special little jimmy gets the green light to help keep the herd beat down. Why because we might loose jimmy if he does not get what he did not earn. Why did we not do this in the past? Because we had brains in the past. Now you hyper sensitive daddies feel you have to hand your kids everything. You fools will get what you have coming thank god I will be dead. Now bring extra Kleenex for jenny in case her nose starts to run while she is face deep in her phone while you watch for a deer for her to shoot. And just get ready to gut it for jimmy as he would have to stop taking pictures and texting.

Good luck this weekend kids you earned it.

06-Oct-16
"So tell me why we shouldn't have this two day season that probably doesn't impact your own hunting anyway?"

Here in the north it will impact the herd. THAT'S what matters not some child's special privilege. Let them hunt like every one else and earn it.

06-Oct-16
I agree, if deer herd is down no one should shoot does.

That all you got? Feeble.

06-Oct-16
I've stayed out of this long enough.

It just so happens that I am taking a young hunter and his NON-Hunting Dad out this weekend and will be trying to teach them to hunt.

Not my Son, Grand Daughter or any family relation.

Would I do this during the regular 9 day season? No.

Do I mind giving up 2 days of the archery season to introduce them to hunting? No.

Will they have the ability to hunt in the future? Yes.

Life's hard, get a helmet and live with it!

We all have to live with plenty of things we don't care for and don't "Bitch" about them. In the real scheme of things this weekend's hunt is nothing.

Would you rather we bring 40 hunters up north in the middle of the rut and hold a Learn To Hunt Class on the public land you hunt?

Think about it and quit being so selfish....

06-Oct-16
TB, continue to flaunt your ignorance for us. The decision to allow does to be shot or not is made at the county level. Possibly your attendance may have made a difference but you were much too busy creating fake names and accounts to whine from instead of doing anything meaningful.

07-Oct-16
How many deer are taken each year by youths during this hunt? The numbers Im betting are relatively low.

07-Oct-16
First - Mike F Hats off to you!!! AND people like yourself.

Neverbait - What was hunting as you state "once was" please describe....

07-Oct-16
I couldn't disagree with you more Neverbait - I fully support and applaud Mike F.

You really have no clue other than your selfish and self centered ways of thinking Neverbait.

Yes, I remember those years.

In my world, things could not be better for hunting/fishing and trapping.

wibowhtr - I wish the number was eight!

More kids in the woods, more times is simply a wonderful thing...no two ways about it!

07-Oct-16
"Would I do this during the regular 9 day season? No. "

Exactly. You guys are funny. Its certainly not a coincidence that the youth hunt isnt during the rut. A bunch of you guys would have to take your halos off if it was. LOL!

07-Oct-16
"How many of you whiners/cry babies contribute anything.....anything to our youth...outside your own spawn? Anything...anyone?"

WITHOUT the aid of a youth hunt I have "recruited" my son, 3 nephews, and a niece to the hunting ranks and all of them still hunt. Today's youth is a whole different mind set. Gimme gimme gimme they want to do everything the easy way. Let me ask you this, and be honest, how many of the kids you take in the woods brings an electronic device with them to keep them occupied during slow periods? What happens after doing things for 6 years the easy way? How many youth hunters will continue to hunt? I'm sure all of you will say that your youth will continue to hunt, but this is a very small sampling of a biased group.

07-Oct-16
Special hunts are like the US tax code-some benifit more than others.

07-Oct-16
I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but I bring my own "spawn" out why.... Because he's 11 and can't legally hunt the 9 day gun period or bow hunt until he's 12. Maybe the youth hunt shouldn't be 5 years, but at 10 and 11 i'm good with it. It gives me that one on one time to teach him the right way to do things before he will go next year. He still heads out with me to check cameras, walk around the woods looking for good spots, etc.

As for having a mobile electronics to keep him busy, hell no!! If the "mentor"/father allows that, thats on the mentor/parent. If you call yourself a hunter and allow your kid to bring entertainment, thats not mentoring, and its not the fault of the kid.

Maybe i'm a bit different from others or the stereotypes that are being described, but i'm a single dad, and I only get to see my kids 50% of the time, so anytime I can get them out to experience the stuff I like and have the chance to teach them about the outdoors, I do. That includes all summer long heading out fishing, my son has actually become quite the bass fisherman, and loves it, because he's learned from me what to do.

I'm headed up to our cabin and into the woods tomorrow and couldn't be more excited. Even if we don't get anything, I love the time with him.

07-Oct-16
Masterbaiter, the bed is comfy and hunting is better than ever but thanks for your concern.

07-Oct-16
for six years little jimmy was tit fed then mommy pulled the tit away and little jimmy cried and cried and cried. There is no recruiting going on here only entitlements and handouts. You will reap what you sow. TV, Cell phones, ipads, computers, sugury drinks, dinner around the tv, fat kids everywhere. Don't bring any discipline to the house that might hurt fat little jimmy for life. Give the kids more power than there teachers and if that dam teacher does anything to upset jenny get right in there and take care of it for her.

now get out there this weekend with those GUNS and recruit future hunter because these two day about to happen are going to make or break the future. Never mind the other 90 plus days you could be taking that next door neighbor kid out.

07-Oct-16
"Would I do this during the regular 9 day season? No" "Do I mind giving up 2 days of the archery season to introduce them to hunting? No." "Life's hard, get a helmet and live with it!"

Then why don't you put on a helmet and suck it up and give up a couple days of your precious gun deer season to introduce them to hunting? What you posted reads as if it's not important enough to you if it would mean having to mentor a kid during "your" gun season.

"What many are to short sighted to see is these folks that need to manipulate deer, then take a youth out to make themselves feel better are doing the sport more harm than good. For every youngster that they coddle in a special season, how many neighboring youth during the regular season have given up because they cannot compete with the manipulation next door. "It's a downward spiral, like being obese, and pounding cheeseburgers everyday."

This is spot on, and I say that even though I personally am one of these "manipulators" I assume you speak of since I plant acres of plots every year.

"Exactly. You guys are funny. Its certainly not a coincidence that the youth hunt isnt during the rut. A bunch of you guys would have to take your halos off if it was. LOL!"

+1

"Let me ask you this, and be honest, how many of the kids you take in the woods brings an electronic device with them to keep them occupied during slow periods? What happens after doing things for 6 years the easy way? How many youth hunters will continue to hunt?"

Excellent point. Not to mention some of these saintlike mentors who have to wake up the kid in the blind to tell them there's a deer within range and to shoot it. I'm sure these kids are gonna stick with it. I'm continually surprised by a few of these guys who get on these forums every year blabbing about how great and saintlike they are and how many kids they "mentored" while seemingly having no clue the damage they're causing by making things so easy it's very likely this same kid will drop out at some point early in their short lived hunting career.

Any kid that gets mentored by myself or on my land happens during the regular seasons and always has and always will. We're into creating life-long hunters, not coddling to the point they will give it up when the coddling stops. Besides, this also prevents me from having to make up excuses as to why they can't come along during the regular season, because really, there is no excuse.

07-Oct-16
HunterR, you have summed up the others' comments very well. It is amazing how some will only give up their time during this hunt.

I see name calling again and it is by those who won't accept an opinion of those who don't think the Youth Hunt is necessary. Here is the typical reply - "How many of you whiners/cry babies contribute anything." Yep, people who opine differently are all whiners and cry babies and don't do anything for youths. And this is complete and utter bull sh$%.

As stated, I'm not opposed to the Youth Hunt, did it once, yet I have never seen anyone present a good reason for it.

For those youths who are participating, I wish them all the best of luck and kudos to the parents and mentors who use this as an added opportunity for kids and not just "the" opportunity. After all, mentoring is year round.

07-Oct-16
Most kid's will drop out for awhile anyway when they discover the opposite sex . Most kid's that stay with it their father's took them hunting and fishing all year long . At least from what I've seen over the year's . For the guy's that only take the kid's for the two day hunt and that's it . Shame on you , your the selfish one's.

07-Oct-16
So Tit Baby.... what explains you being such a whiny baby? You seem more entitled than any preteen that I've ever met.

07-Oct-16
Funny, I've never seen anyone point out a good reason to not do it. Lots of talk about the damage that is done or how those kids will not continue as hunters but other than personal opinion, no facts to show why not to have it. And, the doe argument does not cut it, now that the issue is in the hands of the CDAC's.

Oh yea, and all the talk about electronics in the stand yet the complainers here have no problem using them at other times, like maybe at the companies expense? Time to look in the mirror, hypocrites.

07-Oct-16
So what facts are out there to support the hunt ? I think this tread could go in circles till next year's hunt . I recruit people into shooting a bow every year . I teach them how to work on there bow's , most of which I've gotten for them . Teach them how to change string's , how to shoot , and tune their bow's . Teach them hunting on my property . How to clean and debone deer . Then I show them how to mount there deer if they want to learn . I take old people that can't get around fishing in my pond . So if I'm selfish and a whiny baby because I'm not for a youth hunt . So how bought this . Anybody feel that way like my pappy used to say . You can kiss where the sun don't shine .

07-Oct-16
Bloodtrail why not make the entire season a youth season so they have more opportunity to shine like little diamonds? Why only 2 days open? Open the entire season to youth any weapon unlimited deer of either sex? its a great opportunity to introduce kids to the outdoors and recrute hunter.

You pro youth hunt guys are a sorry bunch that can not see the big picture. Again you will reap what you sow I will be dead.

07-Oct-16
Its funny watching you 30 or 40 year old somethings try to justify this. When I was 20 in 1958 we would have slapped you up side the head and said what are you thinking. It would have never flew back then because each person was expected to pull their own weight no matter age.

I see this week the video of a cop shooting a guy in California because he pull a gun but did not turn toward the police is being protested. HE PULLED A GUN BUT DID NOT TURN TOWARD THE POLICE SO HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN SHOT. This thinking is a perfect analogy of where we are today.

Tit feed those kids its going to work out very well for you.

07-Oct-16
Hunter R, Tit Baby, Neverbait, and all other Nay Sayers,

The reason I don't take them out during the "regular gun" gun season is because they will be out as a Father/son, family hunting on their own. Sure the parent can't shoot a deer, but it is a learning experience.

As far as who goes along during the regular gun season, it's my Son in-law who has never hunted before. So there you have it!

As far as the Archery season, I will be hunting with a Vet.

Muzzle loader season with another Vet.

And as far as other seasons, bear season was spent hunting with 2 young hunters, and 3 vets.

Trapping will be with another young fellow who wants to learn how to trap.

So that pretty much sums it up!

Funny how you bring up "manipulators of the land" the property we will be hunting is only managed for timber and was logged 3 years ago. So that doesn't fly here.

OH, and no screaming and venting over the "Special" handicapped hunt that is currently taking place this week either. Seems like you are picking your fights. Pretty convenient for you isn't it....

And as far as no special seasons or hunts during the rut. Hmmm??? That's not going to fly either as the is a LTH Whitetail Deer hunt taking place during the rut again this year.

A lot of trial balloons being floated out there only to fizzle.

What is one negative affect that you have to "suffer from" because I take others hunting? Are you "pouting" because you weren't invited??

A lot of name calling and selfishness going on in this thread.

Let's throw out this trial balloon - How many of you would take others hunting if there weren't any special seasons???

I am thinking that those that are doing it today would still do it. Why? Because that's who we are and what we do.

07-Oct-16
This thread is both funny and disturbing at the same time!

I find it hilarious that there is such a division for/and against 2 DAYS for experienced outdoors people to get the next generation involved in hunting. Hell its during a slow time for bow hunting anyway!!

I wonder if there is the same anger level, from those who disagree with the youth hunt, on opening weekend of the gun season, when there are 600k-700k people in the woods shooting anything brown on 4 legs?? Or those who are violating the laws and taking animals out of season, at night time, or any other violation! Hell of those 600-700k people, how many actually hunt the whole 9 days? How many hunt Saturday for maybe a total of 6-8 hours, and Sunday for a few, then don't touch their gear again until the next year?? Or how about the armies of trucks and guys on Monday and Tuesday of gun season who are out "driving" deer??? Where's the outrage??

All the assumptions being made about kids today and parents/mentors is ridiculous. It's painting everyone with a broad brush thats just wrong, or more likely someone with an alter ego trying to stir the pot (TB).

As I said earlier, for me personally, this weekend is about spending EVEN MORE time with my son since I only get him 50% of the time (Based on Wisconsin's custody standards). And if I can teach him more about what to do, and why I do it that way, then it's time well spent! If he gets lucky and gets a shot at a buck, even better!

Just my opinion, but those who claim these 2 days are creating entitlements for kids or coddling them, I'm guessing you should rethink the idea of entitlement.

07-Oct-16
"So what facts are out there to support the hunt ?" Swampy, that is an easy one. I don't know how many but I sure as heck know that if a person is not exposed to hunting then they will never be a hunter. I also know that we as hunters need people who may not be lifelong hunters but are not anti hunters.

Apparently you are failing to grasp that this season introduces many people to hunting who do not come from hunting backgrounds. Not everyone has the amount of free time available to them as you apparently do. Good for you for what you do but why would you want to cheat others out of having an opportunity that they otherwise might not get?

Tit Baby, put a nipple on another bottle of beer and then explain to us the "big picture."

07-Oct-16
"How many of you would take others hunting if there weren't any special seasons??? "

I have an 11 year old joining us this year. He's hunting with an xbow.

Good luck to all the youth hunters. Be safe and get one.

07-Oct-16
Still waiting for some reasons as to why not have this hunt.

As has been pointed out numerous times as to why some of us think its great.

Remember act likes adults, could be hard for some of you but I'm optimistic you can do it!

I'm thinkin Pasq started this thread, made some popcorn and is enjoying this too much:^)

07-Oct-16
Just curious, what benefit is their to taking a kid for 2 days with a rifle or shotgun over a cross gun/bow for 60 + days? As a parent I'm going to lay down any weapon during the regular seasons to let my kids hunt, how hard is that?

07-Oct-16
Not hard at all but still not an answer to the question. I think we already discussed the benefits.

07-Oct-16
Just ran up town to Laona and I see the 2 pallets of corn that was at Wagners gas station yesterday is almost gone. Keep in mind that Forest Co is a no bait county. Going to teach jimmy well on this trip. First you have to hunt using bait and second you can do it in a no baiting county making it illegal. You mentors are a pathetic bunch that's for sure. Enjoy these two days they only come around twice a year.

Good luck kids you earned it.

07-Oct-16
"Still waiting for some reasons as to why not have this hunt."

You don't need it because you can take kids hunting for almost 4 month strait you idiot.

07-Oct-16
Capt you said something I never thought of . You made a good point about the young one's not becoming anti hunter's . To me that's most importantone of all .

07-Oct-16
TB, your no longer relevant in this conversation the adults are having. It was a good idea on your part to remain anonymous.

Good luck to all the kids this weekend, don't forget to post some pics.

07-Oct-16
You got no come back to that do you Elk so just say I am not relevant. By the way I never calmed to be relevant. 4 months you can hunt with them but you need those 2 days. Makes no sense and you know it.

07-Oct-16
+1 ELK

07-Oct-16
+1 ELK

08-Oct-16
My nephew got his first buck today!!! From one of my stands! I'll post the pic on the meat pole when my bro in law sends it.

08-Oct-16
Crusader please congratulate the young man for me .

08-Oct-16
Will do swampy! He's going to sit one of my other stands this aft. I sure hope he gets a fat doe. two on his first day would be pretty darn cool.

08-Oct-16
I'm not to old to be adopted you know ! [DAD]

08-Oct-16
Ok tonight I had my first issue with a young hunt. I was walking across a picked corn field towards my stand when a truck pulling a shooting house enters the same field from the other direction. They gunned the truck to get to the corner before me. I stopped and told them we had a youth bow hunter over in the other corner about 800 yards away. This group had three gun hunting kids with them. I also told them where my dad was behind them. First guy very nice and I said I would leave them to go somewhere else. So far no issues then daddy number 2 says I know exactly where your dad is my son is hunting in there to we found your stand. He is about 40 yards farther in. We found yours stands. Now this isn't really about it being happy with youth hunts it's about some common respect for other hunters. These guys only gun hunt and we don't gun hunt this Farm but when does this behavior end.

08-Oct-16
Swampy, you're in! There's plenty of room and it'd be nice to hunt with a fellow bowsighter.

08-Oct-16
Thanks Swampy. Almost no issue has a clear-cut and simple answer. Best we can do is weigh all the positive against all the negative, then make a choice.

Congrats in advance to all the youth who were able to enjoy this weekend.

08-Oct-16
Lets see some pics with the successful hunters.

08-Oct-16
Pic to follow, daughter got a 3 point tonight. Then off to Homecoming dance. 4 bucks straight for her and her youth hunts now come to an end. My 11 year old next year. All 3 daughters I felt were not ready at 10 or 11 yrs, each started at 12.

Made a great shot as always, actually she's 8 for 8 counting antlerless and a bear.

08-Oct-16
My grandson got his first deer this morning. Was great to see. Just to put my 2 cents in on the youth hunt, I think its great. Had three generations in the woods this morning and everyone and I mean "everyone " had a great day. I only bow hunt anymore, but I am all about going on the youth gun hunt with my son and grandson. grandson learned some great things today, such as compass reading, following a blood trail, field dressing, and most importantly don't ever "gut shot" again. All you people that have a problem with the youth gun hunt should be ashamed. Its not just about killing a deer that maybe you could of shot yourself if it wasn't a youth hunt weekend. grow up. Good luck to all the other kids in the woods this weekend

09-Oct-16

CaptMike's embedded Photo
CaptMike's embedded Photo
My partners 12 year old son with his first buck. He and dad set the blind up a couple weeks ago, then he and his grandpa sat together when he killed it. I was lucky enough to be a part of the recovery team. What a great experience for all three of them!

10-Oct-16
Congrats to all the young hunters who had some success! I didn't see any actual youth hunters out and about in the public land I hunt. Heard a few shots throughout the day, but didn't encounter anybody. I took the weekend to do some small game hunting and wandered around various sections of woods - didn't see a single hunter.

10-Oct-16
4 youth hunters in camp had a successful weekend. 1 large bodied 8 pt harvested. Everyone saw deer. Lessons learned such as patience, amongst other things. Unlike some others posting here about coddling and instant gratification, unidentified deer and smaller bucks were passed up by some. Last night 3 different bucks were just watched vs shooting at. And despite more deer coming, when it was quitting time, it was time to leave the woods. Wood was chopped and stacked, a lean-to project was started, stands were worked on, other equipment was prepped for upcoming colder weather, etc. Sit down meals were had as well. And even some homework was done! A well rounded experience for everyone. Congrats to all of the successful and even unsuccessful hunters. And thanks to all the mentors and adults that set aside time to help the future generations.

10-Oct-16
Here is a good one not even God could make up. I get a call from my best friend a farmer in Langlage County asking me to come over and process a deer with him. I say sure but question him because like me he is in his 70's and I know he does not hunt. He tells me his neighbor shot a deer and is giving it to him. I said OK I will be there in an hour. He says no you have to wait till 6:30 tonight. I said you know I don't like to drive in the dark. Then he tells me the entire story. The Neighbor is a grandfather that took his teenage something grandson out hunting last night and killed a eight pointer. His grandson plays football so he will not be home until 6 to take a picture with the buck then he will bring it over. There you have it folks. Not going to eat it no time for it future hunter. You guys sicken me good luck your going to need it.

10-Oct-16
TB you must have selective reading and missed my last post and some of the the others above. Sorry, you had a bad experience this weekend, which fit your views of doom and gloom. But contrary to that, there were opposite experiences, which provide evidence of ethics, hard work, dedication, accountability, just to name a few in our youth. Is there any particular reason you feel the need to keep reminding us of your age? We had 2 guys in camp over 70 that took their grandkids out this weekend. For one of them, it was the first time he'd been in a deer stand in a couple of years. It took sharing time with his grandson to motivation him again and relight the flame. They had a great time (despite age and health problems working against them.) Anyway, seems to me there's plenty of positive to be had out there.

10-Oct-16
Now that the youth hunt is over I guess we won't have to read anymore titty baby comments.

10-Oct-16
Tit's grandkids probably refuse to visit him.

10-Oct-16
It is a crime for a grandfather to want to take a picture of his grandson with a deer he killed?

Titbaby, I must confess, you did a hell of a job when you named yourself.

10-Oct-16
Not that I give a dam what you say Captmike but. They are giving the deer away. They don't want it. Take your pictures then move on. I am sure that makes perfect sense to you. maybe we recruited a hunter this weekend.

10-Oct-16
Perfect sense, no. Some sense, absolutely. If you were to invest in a few happy pills you might be able to step back and see the big picture, not that it matters to you. Maybe that kids family just does not like to eat venison. Fact is, even if he does not live up to your standards of what a hunter should be, he will not be an anti hunter. Sorry TB but there are many people who welcome the venison hunters give away.

10-Oct-16
Many folks shoot deer and give them away. I have shot deer and given them away.

Did he say why he was giving the deer away or are you just assuming something not a known fact?

Whatever the reason I am glad someone was able to enjoy the deer.

Congrads CaptMike!

11-Oct-16
Talked to a 7 year old who shot a Doe ( her dad told her no Buck shooting ) My question ? How much does a 7 year know about life & death ?

11-Oct-16
Ah Glen, pretty sure the youth needs to be at least 10 years of age to participate in the Wisconsin youth deer hunt.

11-Oct-16
^^+1 It's been 10 in the past. What am I missing Ruger?

11-Oct-16

Mike F's embedded Photo
Mike F's embedded Photo
Thanks for sharing all of the pictures and stories of the hunt!

I had the pleasure of hunting with a couple of young hunters last weekend. One was a first time deer hunter and was very happy that he was able to harvest a pair of does and the other was this young man who was hunting with Father and Grand Father. I learned that his Grand Father has been diagnosed with cancer. At least for a couple of days we enjoyed the outdoors and put the inevitable in the back of our minds. His Grand Father did mention that it was his most enjoyable weekend in over 3 years.

It's moment like this that make it all worth while......

11-Oct-16
"Talked to a 7 year old who shot a Doe ( her dad told her no Buck shooting )"

"Ah Glen, pretty sure the youth needs to be at least 10 years of age to participate in the Wisconsin youth deer hunt. "

So, let's say this Dad screwed up and took his 7year old hunting and said 7yr old shot a deer. The Dad would need to be turned in right? Better yet, he should be turning himself in to teach his daughter the right thing no?

11-Oct-16
Mike F, So happy to hear about the bonding between the young man and his Dad and Granddad! Its moments like this that are the high points of life and will remain with us forever. God is good! Congrats gentlemen!

13-Oct-16
So I was thinking, how does one even get a license for a 7yr old? Are there flaws in the GoWild system that allow anyone to get a license with the software not using the person's age? If this Dad surely did acquire a license for his 7yr old daughter, that should be reported to the DNR so the software can be fixed. I can't imagine the software would not use the date but who knows. Otherwise, it looks like the Dad is a violator who took his daughter hunting on his tag.

13-Oct-16

Badger Bucks's embedded Photo
Badger Bucks's embedded Photo
Here is the buck my 10 year old shot while sitting with his grandfather.

His sister and I were in another stand. She shot a nice doe. (She is 12 and this was her 6th deer.)

13-Oct-16
Nice buck! Congrats to your 10 year old!

14-Oct-16
Great thread (for the most part)! Thanks to all that took the time to take a youth out hunting! Congratulations to all the successful hunters!

I would say most 7 year olds know about live and death. My oldest son had a grandfather one day, the next day my son was told granddaddy was gone and now was in heaven. It certainly took some more explaining, but bottom line he learned that once someone dies they won't be around here anymore with us.

I attended a weekend youth deer hunt in South Dakota a couple of weeks ago. I got to mentor a kid and his dad. The kid wanted to hunt, family didn't, dad never did. I sat with both the son and dad and want an amazing experience. We came close Saturday night, the son was a bundle of nervous, as was the father, me too. The kid shot a doe the following morning. That kid, and the 7 others, had a weekend with at least one of their parents, that they will all never forget. Neither will I. BC

14-Oct-16
"Ruger was probably talking about Michigan, no age limit there. ;-) "

It's probably more likely the Dad shot the deer and just had his 7yr old daughter along. I feel very skeptical that the GoWild software would allow for a 7yr old to get a deer hunting license.

MI's youth hunt was in mid-September.

14-Oct-16
Ruger 1022: My grandchildren know about death early on. We raise beef have barn cats, trap, etc. Animals live they die they provide for us. God put them here for us. They know this from day one at our house. I want my family to understand dead is dead. Not like so many kids today and people today. Point a gun at someone pull the trigger they die, don't come back. Guns hung on my parents wall all our life, no one died. We understood as well.

14-Oct-16
"It's probably more likely the Dad shot the deer and just had his 7yr old daughter along." A very ignorant statement, unless you have some info on this incident you are not telling us about. LOL!

15-Oct-16
Those that have land did you or would allow youth hunt on your place if approached prior to the hunt of course?

15-Oct-16
Perhaps you are right Capt Mike. The only scenario that plays out legally is if the GoWild system is flawed and allows licenses to be purchased for anyone regardless of age. One would like to think this "feature" does not exist and that the software was well tested. But, who knows.

15-Oct-16
Happy, it has not been proven that this 7 year old even killed a deer, and if they did, in what state? Yes, it is possible the GoWild system could allow this to happen but to this point, there has been no proof of that.

16-Oct-16
Steve D, yes I would allow youth on the land I control. I don't own it but I control all hunting rights. I did give permission to a father and his two kids that live near one of my best fields. They have full access to any one of the six stands I have already established in that area. And when the boys can draw enough weight and their dad feels they're ready to go on ther own, they will have full permission for all the land. I'll have them help me here and there setting up stands and as they get older and more experienced I'll raise the age limit on what they can shoot so eventually all young bucks will get a pass. For now they can shoot whatever they like.

Yes, I would also let other youth hunters on the land as long as their fathers/representative asked me first and only if I felt the adult was a good upstanding and responsible person that would take care of the land and follow the rules.

Adults that ask without kids will always get an answer of no. As much as I want to have a good number of mature bucks on the landscape it makes me feel good knowing a kid killed a deer from one of my spots.

16-Oct-16
Yes-

We seem to always have new/young hunters helping shoot a few deer.

Crusader Dad- Very nice!

17-Oct-16
Crusader Dad thanks for the enlightened comment and truthfulness. Your sharing is to be commended in this day age.

17-Oct-16

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear