TFletcher10 03-Oct-16
gobbler 04-Oct-16
gobbler 04-Oct-16
pawpaw 05-Oct-16
TFletcher10 05-Oct-16
WV Mountaineer 06-Oct-16
gobbler 07-Oct-16
03-Oct-16
Starting tomorrow the farm I hunt on is getting logged. There will be a clear cut of all pines which I'd guess will be 7 acres or so total. Along with a select cut of everything else that is 15" and above.

I'm guessing that this year will be tough due to the activity but I think in 2 plus years it will be great for the property. Right now the only pics I ever get of nice bucks is at night due to the fact there isn't real good buck bedding.

Any thoughts?

Is my season shot this year?

Thanks guys!

04-Oct-16
Depends on when they finish logging and if they are leaving the treetops?

If they finish soon and leave treetops u mite be ok. I had them timber my place after hunting season and snow was on the ground. Every night there were fresh deer tracks where they were there during the night eating the buds and small branches. Treetops also create perfect bedding areas. Deer will bed down right beside treetops.

However, if they are going to be logging during deer season all the activity with equipment and saws going will likely keep deer away during daylight. On the bright side with the logging it may turn into a deer haven in a couple of years. If you know the landowner and get along with him well that might be an opportunity to work with him and the loggers to decide what to seed the logging roadsand skid roads with. Also, logging pads could be turned into food plots.

Good luck!

04-Oct-16
Depends on when they finish logging and if they are leaving the treetops?

If they finish soon and leave treetops u mite be ok. I had them timber my place after hunting season and snow was on the ground. Every night there were fresh deer tracks where they were there during the night eating the buds and small branches. Treetops also create perfect bedding areas. Deer will bed down right beside treetops.

However, if they are going to be logging during deer season all the activity with equipment and saws going will likely keep deer away during daylight. On the bright side with the logging it may turn into a deer haven in a couple of years. If you know the landowner and get along with him well that might be an opportunity to work with him and the loggers to decide what to seed the logging roadsand skid roads with. Also, logging pads could be turned into food plots.

Good luck!

05-Oct-16
They were logging my grandpa's place a few years back and I killed the biggest buck that had been killed there for years. Not that he was very big. Probably a 3 year old 9 pt. The loggers told me they saw this particular buck almost every day they were on that part of the farm. I would say you will be ok as long as you can get far enough from where the trees are falling.

05-Oct-16
Thanks for the responses guys.. I really think in the long run it will really help the property. It needs some sunlight to hit the forest floor. To me a park like look doesn't equal big buck bedding.

06-Oct-16
This time of year, if your stand has Sugar Maple in it, find those tops. The leaves while turning are like candy to deer. Basswood and poplar before they get to dry are a close second and third.

Logging activity will do nothing but attract the deer. Unless it gets opened up to much, many times in broad daylight. If so, it'll be a night thing until regeneration thickens it up. Which will be next year.

I don't know the specifics of your timber stand but 15" dbh is a pretty hard cut. Be prepared for it mentally. Maybe it is young and needs thinned? I don't know. But, I'm a forester by trade and unless the stand needs clear cut to restart, there are only a few instances that a cut needs to go that low with TSI goals in mind. FWIW, You did right with the pine clear cut.

If a contract has not already been signed shoot me a pm. I'll help you.

I'm not saying you didn't get a great deal or, the perfect deal. I'm just saying you can't super glue them back on the stump once they are gone. And, a cut that heavy in most stands that contain adequate volume to harvest, is going to ensure it will be a while before it gets cut again.

God Bless

07-Oct-16
I agree, 15 inches is a pretty heavy cut. When we did ours it was popular, hard maple, -and white ash down to 18 DBH. I left oak,beech, walnut, hickory, cherry, I wanted to keep My mast trees and let them fill in their crown while still letting sunlight hit the forest floor.

• Sitka Gear