Contributors to this thread:
Eat Your Meat 04-Oct-16
smarba 05-Oct-16
Eat Your Meat 05-Oct-16
arctichill 05-Oct-16
Eat Your Meat 06-Oct-16
dave kaden 20-Oct-16
04-Oct-16
Well of course the ibex hunt started Saturday. I was only able to take next week off, so I'm headed down there Friday. Been trying to learn all I can from those who've done it before. I've got in the best shape I've been in in years, tried to get as much shooting in as I can at longer distances. Thought I'd post here just to get any other last minute advice you all might have to offer. It's hard to find anyone who's harvested - according to NMDGF, only 7 people out of 100 tagged out last year.

Anyone have any success on this hunt? Any tips? Thanks!

05-Oct-16
I have been blessed with 2 successful archery ibex.

6 and 10-yard shots. One ambush and one spot & stalk. There is no need to fling arrows beyond your effective range.

Despite many seeming to think that launching arrows 100+ yards is within their capability, the number of "I hit one but didn't recover him" stories each year is appalling.

Shoot what you're comfortable with under real-world conditions (often very windy and always awkward steep shots) but don't be tempted to fling until your quiver is empty.

Good luck, be safe.

05-Oct-16
Wow, 6 & 10? That's pretty amazing. I'll take your advice and not take unreasonable shots. An ambush opportunity would be great. Most of the stories I've been told have been spot and stalks that involved long climbs that either ended in the ibex spooking or just not being there when they get to where they saw them.

05-Oct-16
Awesome advise Smarba! I've hunted them with a bow many years ago, but have never released an arrow. I would MUCH rather end the hunt without releasing an arrow than to ens the hunt shooting an animal I wasn't able to recover.

06-Oct-16
smarba I just read your story of the ibex hunt. Really cool. I'm in a remarkably similar situation. Arrowed a bull last month and didn't recover him. Going from the high of "knowing" it was a kill shot as I went back to camp in the dark, then the next two days and all the thoughts of doubt, discouragement, guilt while looking for that animal in the hot sun, "should I even be bow hunting?" running through my head... I was surprised how much that got me down.

I'll also be hunting the Floridas alone, and am only hunting the last several days of the hunt. The big difference is I'm a lot greener than you. Only took up the sport two years ago, and I've never harvested any big game.

I'm still intimidated by this hunt, but I'm excited and want to make the most of it. It's a blessing to just be out there, as we all know!

20-Oct-16
it is a tough hunt to do totally alone. If you can camp with some other hunters to compare notes and keep your spirits up.its the only hunt I ever gave up on, and I was alone..wish I would have had some company to commiserate with.Good luck to all...

• Sitka Gear