gobbler 06-Oct-16
WV Mountaineer 06-Oct-16
Babysaph 07-Oct-16
eddie234 08-Oct-16
eddie234 08-Oct-16
05-Oct-16

sundaynwv's embedded Photo
sundaynwv's embedded Photo
Some simple observations from results of the annual bow hunter survey of 2015.

* 34% of all deer seen by bow hunters were spikes.

* 33 of 67 pope and young deer came from the four bow hunting only counties.

*56 of 67 came from the southern half of the state.

* Once again, the desire to lower the buck limit was the number one response. The desire for apr was the fourth most mentioned comment.

05-Oct-16
Do all bowhunters get one of these or just the members of the WVBA? How many surveys were received? How many total bowhunters do we have approx. in the state?

05-Oct-16
All members of the WVBA get the survey to fill out. You have to fill out the survey and provide your name/address to get a copy of last year's results.

Unfortunately, not many have been filling out the survey as responses have been getting really low. If responses don't get better, DNR may abandon the survey because the observations won't be reliable statistically. At least that's my understanding.

Total bowhunters in the state is hard to figure but ranges around 120,000 to 140,000. Landowners don't have to buy licenses and archery is included with the Sportsman's license so its hard to get an exact figure.

05-Oct-16
So the only bowhunters that get the survey are the WVBA member? They are not available to the other bowhunters? You are right. If not many fill them out then they don't mean much.

05-Oct-16
No, others get the survey. Last year saw an uptick in surveys.

05-Oct-16
Cool.

06-Oct-16
JR - I think you can sign up for both the bow hunter and spring gobbler surveys at the Spring regional DNR meetings. They have a paper that you put your info down on right at the door.

06-Oct-16
A person can do most anything on line today. It seems to me DNR could setup something online.They would get a lot more response.That is if they really want to know what bow hunters think about certain things.just my opinion

06-Oct-16
I agree Hoppie but I don't think it really matters. JMO

06-Oct-16
The form is available at wvdnr.gov/hunting/hunting.shtm. However, when I opened it up it has my been updated since 2014. Therefore the hunting dates are incorrect.

06-Oct-16
The state agencies have bylaws they must live by concerning Computer work for each department. It isn't as simple as getting the guy down the hall. It has to be appropriated, budgeted, and out sourced. I'm sure the DNR would take any money you wanted to donate for the finicial side of making the survey computer accessed. But, they can't do that until legislation appropriates the action as being an option. Then they must fund it. Then they get to hire an out of agency business to design the form, program the website which will host it, etc.... All at extropolated cost and time. Truth is we all know of better ways to accomplish the feat. Reality is if it were only that simple. God Bless

06-Oct-16
WV behind the times again. It would be simple computer program.The year is 2016 not 1970, What better way is there to reach most of the bow hunters in the state. I sure dont know of better way, I donate every year by buying sportsman package as well as extra bow and doe tags. god bless you too

06-Oct-16
Why would they need to hire someone to design a simple form . Its not rocket science.Very simple really. I am sure they have guy down the hall who has the knowledge to set it up.

06-Oct-16
Cuz it's the Gubment.

06-Oct-16
The have to spend thousands of dollars to pay someone to do a study on something before they do it. Unreal.

06-Oct-16
It is 2016. If I buy something from Amazon I get e-mail telling me it's at my front door and a survey the next day on how I liked the service and any opinions on how to improve service.

06-Oct-16
Cory, those 34% spikes were probably all 4.5-5.5 yr. old spikes.

06-Oct-16
Great response hoppie.

To clarify, I never said nor, do I feel the process is correct or best serving. I didn't say your idea wasn't a good one. I simply stated why things that could be so easily accomplished concerning web availability of the survey, isn't as simple as it seems.

07-Oct-16
Well we don't need To spend thousands and thousands of dollars to study about building a bridge that needs building. Just build it. I jus get tired of gubment waste.,

08-Oct-16

08-Oct-16
Call or send an email to request your copy of the survey

• Sitka Gear