Ace 10-Oct-16
Wardens Worry 10-Oct-16
GF 10-Oct-16
bigbuckbob 10-Oct-16
Tguzz 13-Oct-16
Ace 13-Oct-16
Emmitt 13-Oct-16
09-Oct-16
Curious who you all use as a local bow shop in southern CT. (Fairfield CT). I have a buddy looking to buy his first bow and would like to go to a reputable shop to shoot a few bows and get set up properly. Thanks, in advance.

WW

09-Oct-16
I'd be looking in NY.

09-Oct-16
Yep Carmel NY, but getting set up this time of year you will prob have to make a second trip to pick up bow. Flying arrow is a good shop I have used for decades.

09-Oct-16
It's worth the drive to Hall's in Manchester

09-Oct-16
Anywhere you go from there is gonna be a 45 min ride,try Newbury in goshen..

09-Oct-16

SILVERADO's Link
I'd never go to halls again too many bad experiences between my friends and I having our bows tuned there. Only place I go now is the gun store in Waterbury, CT. The tech there used to be out of Sportsmans Outpost in Wolcott, but is now working out of This facility. Don't be fooled by the name, they definitely know their stuff in the archery Dept. I live in Norwalk and would never go to the local in town shop, I'm sure many of you will know who I am talking about.

09-Oct-16
I just bought my new bow from Flying arrow in Carmel New York. They did a great job and they take their time with you. I feel at other shops they force you into certain bows but Flying Arrow let me shoot 3 different bows and 10 arrows out of each bow. I went with the Bow tech Icon and upgraded all of the items in the package.

09-Oct-16
I've had very good experiences at Connecticut Archery in Wallingford. Well worth the trip from Fairfield. Mike Scaniffe and his staff are true professionals.

09-Oct-16
Andover Archery is a great shop. They deal in Bear, Elite, Prime, & Expedition. He also deals xbows as well. Its a small shop but quality of products and customer service is second to none. He will set up everything himself and fit to the shooter especially those just beginning out. There is a range on site out to 70yds and an on site 3d course.

09-Oct-16
Hillers? double check my spelling, they're in Norwalk. very knowledgeable and they have a small shooting lane to shoot after they've done their work. Just had mine restrung w a new peep sight. google them, I don't have their number off hand. good people too.

09-Oct-16
That's funny psebow...lol

10-Oct-16
Thanks all. Appreciate your input.

Seems like Hillers is out of business or did they just move.

Thanks again. WW

10-Oct-16
You have been given some good suggestions so far. FYI:

Hiller moved his shop from So No to New Canaan avenue in Norwalk. Then he sold out to his partner. They are still in that location but ... buyer beware. Of course someone with the handle Wardens Worry, might like them there.

10-Oct-16
Thanks for the advice, Ace....and I'll take your word on the new shop. I'd rather have my buddy drive further to get better service.

And, so there is no confusion...my handle is the name of a trout fly. Was lazy and used the same handle from another site. :)

WW

10-Oct-16
Yeah, I think Hiller Bros bought out Scott Moss/Field & Forest, right? Or at least took over the building.

Funny (?) story about Hillers' from some years ago... I had bought a used Commander off of eBay and took it down there to get it set up and the cables replaced. Paid for their time, bought a rest and a half-dozen arrows and was pretty happy overall... until I got the bow on a scale, anyway.... which was not 'til some months later...

The bow is marked #60-#70, and with everything cranked as tight as it will go, the scale says it's dead on at #50. I've shot #55 recurves for the past 25 years or so and had never had any difficulty whatsoever rolling over a #70 compound.... but I hadn't been shooting for quite a while at the time (which was why I was looking at a compound in the first place), so I didn't think much about it....

Anyway, I don't know if I got hosed by the seller, or if the guy at the shop swapped out the limbs - whether to teach me a lesson about buying used gear or because he thought I couldn't handle the poundage - or if they just happened to put on the wrong cables and that lowered the poundage by mistake.

Guess I let my good nature allow somebody to get the better of me, but it's all good... I only wanted the #70 for Elk, and I'll never drag that heavy-arse SOB up a mountain again, so it works well enough from up in a tree....

Kinda glad that I know what I like, though.... Awfully hard to find decent trad gear in a shop ANYWHERE, anymore....

10-Oct-16
I was wondering why you picked that handle??? You had me concerned :)

13-Oct-16
Try Extreme Archery in Mamarroneck, NY. Fantastic pro shop, deal with a lot of big name brands (Hoyt, Elite, PSE, Bear). Guys all know their stuff!! Multiple shooting lanes, Archery only! Place is great!

13-Oct-16
GF, You are right, they moved to Moss' old location, but Paul has now retired. There is no longer a Hiller associated with that shop

13-Oct-16
i tried to have some pre season work done at CT Archery .... they were too busy

• Sitka Gear