Crusader dad 04-Nov-16
maya2003 04-Nov-16
Bowtines 04-Nov-16
Two Feathers 04-Nov-16
Crusader dad 04-Nov-16
Pete-pec 04-Nov-16
Crusader dad 04-Nov-16
10-Oct-16
So far this year I have yet to see strong evidence of buck activity relating to the rut. I've seen the usual tracks, droppings, and a few rubs. No hard evidence yet, either sign or behavior, of the rut.

However, around noon today I talked to someone who said he has seen bucks trailing does, and bucks acting oblivious to human activity or presence. He then said something like (I forgot his exact words), "The're deep in the rut now. I saw a buck looking for a doe without a headache."

FYI - My observations and the comments occurred in Sauk County.

How about it? Anyone else seen strong rut activity? What? Where? How much activity?

10-Oct-16
I hunt Richland county, very close to Sauk. There was considerable deer movement this past weekend but no rut activity that I observed. My guess is that the cold front was what got the deer moving and we still saw multiple bucks traveling together.

10-Oct-16
Every year some of the older does will come into estrous around this time. They are few and far between. The deer are definitely not what we all think of as rutting right now. The cold front just got them on their feet and feeding a bit more in daylight.

10-Oct-16
I saw a big bodied 8 following a doe a few days ago. He was walking super slow, like the walk of shame a college kid does when they wake up and can't find their shoes or have no idea where they are! Of course, this was across the first hole at Grant Park Golf Course in Milwaukee!

10-Oct-16
Ive asked this beforw but havent gotten an answer. Does the rut start earlier in the north or south.

10-Oct-16

smokey's embedded Photo
smokey's embedded Photo
Not deep in the rut but young ones playing around.

10-Oct-16
Thanks Never- I split my time between Ozaukee and Marinette. So would SE WI start eariler?

10-Oct-16
Tweed - "Does the rut start earlier in the north or the south?" I assume you are talking about northern and southern Wisconsin only, and whitetails only? Let me throw out a few ideas, and maybe a few other fellows can mix what they know with my comments and we can explore this question, and maybe somehow find an answer.

As far as I know the majority of whitetail fawns in WI are born in the first two weeks of June every year. Yes, some are born in May and some enter the world in late June, but as far as I have read and have seen in the woods, most are born June 1 to June 15. Further, I believe these dates are consistent in WI from north to south.

And as far as I know the gestation period for whitetails is 205 - 210 days, or, very close to seven months.

Therefore, if you count backwards the majority of does are bred and conceive about November 1 to November 15. Since the birthing dates north to south are consistent, I believe the breeding dates are also.

Therefore, I'm thinking the answer to your question is that the rut in northern and southern WI happens at the same time or very close to the same time every year.

O.K. - So that's my take and my logic on answering your question. Is my answer correct? I don't know for certain, but I think so. I am no expert on whitetails but I have chased them around for quite a while and I have learned a bit about them. I know there are fellows on this forum much more knowledgeable about whitetails than I, perhaps there is a wildlife veterinarian or a whitetail biologist who can answer with some authority. I will look forward to hearing what others say, I know we can all learn something.

10-Oct-16
This coming weekend your going to see more buck's following doe's . No chasing . Major feeding period's look great. Cold temps coming in for the week end . Times coming up guy's . Hope you all have a great season .

10-Oct-16
The neck on the buck shot in our camp last weekend was pretty swollen. Saturday night I saw 2 nice mature bucks hanging out with a lone doe. Even with the headlights on them, they just slowly walked away vs bolting at warp speed, which is what I normally have seen. Strange I would say for early October. Also, heard of plenty of bucks being taken this weekend, including some real dandies by friend's kids.

11-Oct-16
Thanks Casekiska

11-Oct-16
In my opinion right now is the lull before the storm. Sure there will still be deer killed but daytime movement will dramatically increase around October 20ish with the best hunting being the week before Halloween and the first week of November. (The seeking/chasing phase). I do agree with case but the breeding phase is not typically the BEST time to hunt because the mature bucks are keeping their does locked down. Although the second and third week of November are still great times to be in the woods. Obviously we see some rutting activity a little before and after the 30 days between October 21-nov 21 it's usually just the young guys trying to figure things out. In closing, it's about to get real good real soon!!

I'd better get my license and get my ass in the woods soon, work sucks this time of year, it's my busiest time of year and this has been my busiest year yet. Working 3 am to 6 pm. I've been able to take only one short scouting walk so far this fall. I don't care what happens with work, I WILL be taking off the first week of November to go up north.

11-Oct-16
casekiska, you are correct. The peak of the rut is the same each and every year, north and south Wisconsin is the same. In fact, the northern 1/2 of the US is the same. Good job on piecing the puzzle together! BC

11-Oct-16
Test

11-Oct-16
Test

11-Oct-16
Congrats! Both Skook and Case passed! (?)

12-Oct-16
Today we have a nice cold front coming through. It was in the mid 70s in SE WI yesterday and will be in the mid 30's tomorrow morning. I took the day off tomorrow hoping this will get some deer (bucks or otherwise) up and moving.

12-Oct-16
Last weekend the bucks were still in bachelor groups. The 8 pointer I shot was with 3 smaller bucks. We also had pictures on Saturday of a big 7 pointer with another 8 pointer. Things should heat up soon with this cooler weather coming in.

12-Oct-16
Well Tweed, you talked me into it. I bought my license an hour ago and I'm going to blow off work in the morning and hunt till 8ish. Good luck out there! If I shoot tomorrow it's gonna have to be a big one.

21-Oct-16
A few bucks trailing does on camera in Richland County but no major activity. I have seen a few more scrapes this week compared to last. Hoping things pick up soon, as I don't like driving all the way from Madison to watch squirrels dig for acorns!

22-Oct-16
I hunted waukesha county last night, had a fork come into my can call, was at close so waiting for him to leave. glassed neighbors marsh and there was 4 decent bucks in a circle all fighting each other! ive seen 3 before but not like this was pretty neat. my cams have had no buck activity for the past few weeks and i think they moved. first time sitting the stand. lots of does so still hopeful!?

23-Oct-16
Smoked a nice doe yesterday while she was drinking at the pond. 30yard shot. Took out lungs and heart. She ran 40 yards. However in the past 12 hours of sit time I have yet to see a buck. We have numerous bucks of all sizes on our cameras, but while my hunting buddies have seen 6 or 7, I have seen none. Hope to change that this week starting Friday. Green Lake county.

23-Oct-16

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
9:15 am Sunday
9:15 am Sunday
9:20 AM Sunday
9:20 AM Sunday
These two came by after 9am today. One at 20 feet. The other at 12 yards. That first yearling is a ten, with great potential.

23-Oct-16
I started this thread on Oct. 10 by mentioning that as of that time I was seeing little buck sign or indication that the rut was was starting at all. Seems like it all turned on these last few days. This weekend I found a number of scrapes and rubs and did see bucks moving around. No, not a lot of sign yet in my area and the bucks are not rutting & running hard, but they seems to be traveling now. I speak, of course, of what is occurring in my small area of Saul County and I am certain other fellows are having different experiences in other areas. This a.m. a doe & two fawns fed under me (5 yards) for at least 10 minutes and then just before 9:00 a small eight point bedded just a few (40 ?) yards away. Later I was able to climb down & head back to the cabin without disturbing him - I guess that was my success for the morning. A beautiful morning to be out and enjoy the gift of what mother nature and the creator offer us.

23-Oct-16
Things are starting to pick up. Saw 2 mature bucks last night in the field chasing. Scraps and rubs are getting hit nightly. This coming weekend the flood gates should open. Good luck to everyone! Waukesha County

24-Oct-16
Just got back last night from my cabin north of Phillips, WI. Ran up for the weekend with my kids to do some cabin maintenance (rake leaves, take out the dock, etc,) went out with my son to do some grouse hunting and decided to check cameras, considerable amount of buck sign in Price county. Things seem to have kick started. Lots of bucks on cameras, no monsters, but at minimum 8 different bucks. Won't be up there again until Nov. 1 - 7th.

24-Oct-16
Lots of activity for me over the weekend. Little bucks chasing and grunting and had about a 3 year old 8 point work 3 scrapes and pass within 5 yards of my tree. Two of the scrapes were within 20 yards of my tree. I got a little twitchy on that one and thought about shooting. I videoed him with my phone and if I knew how to post it I would.

Yesterday evening after the wind died down I could hear a buck making a scrape in the dry leaves so I grunted several times. I saw him passing by about 80 yards away so I grunted a few more times. He turned and came in on a string; he got all puffed up and was dragging his feet on the way in trying to intimidate the buck he expected to see. He was a nice wide 2 year old 8 point and stopped at 10 yards broadside. I gave him a pass but it was a cool encounter.

I had 6 bucks in bow range over the weekend and saw a couple others out of range.

24-Oct-16
Getting excited! Thursday night next sit! Come on Bucky, Buck!!!

24-Oct-16

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
Passed the biggest deer last night. Hope I don't regret it.

25-Oct-16
Had a nice 8pt work a scrape line tonight at about 5pm. Another chasing at around 530. Sign exploded in last 2 days---Richland County north of R-Center.

Next sit is Wednesday post rain

25-Oct-16
I haven't seen much, but a guy on our lease rattled in a small 6 and a nine point last night. Shot the nine. Got a call to help track, which we did successfully a little after 10 pm. Starting to see more rubs and scrapes. Not a ton, but starting to pick up.

25-Oct-16
wow Kylet, nice pick and willpower!

25-Oct-16
Kylet - perhaps you will second guess yourself about passing on that buck. Maybe. But you know what, you'll learn from it. You probably could have killed that deer and what then, your season would be over! As it is now you get to keep hunting and to have more and more experiences with whitetails in the woods. You know he was almost a sure thing but now you'll get to have another and maybe another, or more "sure things" until you tag one. That's the beauty of passing up shots - you get to keep hunting and have the experiences we do, time and time again. Regret it, yeah, maybe for a second but you know what you could have done. That deer was almost as good as tagged and there never will be anything wrong with something like that. Nice going Kylet.

26-Oct-16
Kylet - Great pic. I don't think I could have passed that brute. Hopefully karma will bring you an even bigger one.

26-Oct-16
I'm in east central WI and we had little bucks darting all over the woods last weekend- saw one shooter at about 5pm stroll out into a wide open hay field, then turn around and casually walk back into the woods after a little action on my rattle bag- I expect things to get very interesting this weekend- should move less at night with new moon

27-Oct-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Nice buck Kylet, it takes discipline to pass bucks like that.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of one of the bucks I passed last weekend. He's not looking at me he's working the branches over a scrape.

27-Oct-16
Rattled 3 times, rattled 3 bucks. I had one I'd shoot come straight to me, look up at me, turn away, and walk off in the brush. No real decent shot. I thought he'd take a trail giving me a second chance. He did not. I don't believe he knew what I was. 2nd buck offered a perfect 20 yard shot. A 110/120" 8 pointer. He got a pass. The 3rd was a 3 point dink. He got my wind, but simply walked away. I suggest you rattle this week. Les believes in it, I believe in it, and quite frankly it works. 100% confident every buck came to the grunting and rattling. I'm still in my stand at 11:20. They're cruising for sure! I think they're far easier now, than when the does are actually in heat. Probably the easiest bucks to hunt right now....

27-Oct-16
Seeing quite a few new bucks the last 2 sits. A couple different shooters walking the same path about 150 yards across the marsh. Gonna use the high wind tomorrow to slip in on top of them. My dad is in the general area tonight, so hopefully he can connect.

28-Oct-16
Sat yesterday afternoon from 3PM - dark and had two shooters present themselves. The first one came in at 5PM to about 25 yards. I was able to get to full draw but not able to get a shot off. The wind was swirly and I am not sure if he picked up my scent or if he heard me. He didn't freak out but he did snort, flash his tail and then just walk off. He obviously knew something wasn't right. The second shooter showed up 20 minutes later but never came with in 70 yards. Exciting night for sure. Still not seeing many rubs or scrapes.

28-Oct-16
With more sightings and sign...what do you guys like to do ...Rattle/Grunt/bleet???

28-Oct-16
Rattled in a 2 year old 8 this morning. I'm hating this wind direction. It simply limits my hunting far too much for the property I predominantly hunt. I guess I'll hit some old farms I used to hunt in the past.

B & G, I've rattled in 4 bucks in 3 hunts. These cruisers are up and about. Buddy took a nice 3 year old 8 pointer yesterday that was chasing a doe.

28-Oct-16
Pete you using real horns or rattle bag or?? I grunted in a nice 8 yesterday evening, but passed on him cause I know there are bigger ones around

28-Oct-16
Real horns. An old set I soaked in water for a month. It keeps them sounding good. I am grunting and bleeding as well. All four were morning hunts. I would have taken a very tall (but strangely narrow) ten, but shot did not present itself, and I was honestly caught off guard a bit. I finished my sequence (first of the morning around 9 am), set my horns down, picked up my bow, and he came in immediately. Looked right at me, but did not recognize me. He came to my weak side, so my feet were not quite turned enough toward the tree I was in. He did not run off, and I was able to call grunt back to 30 yards, but he took a bad trail that was very brushy. Oh well, there are two that I saw in velvet that are much much bigger. Fingers crossed!

28-Oct-16
Pete--yep that settles that. Getting rid of my Pack Rack and bringing out the real horns tomorrow. I liked the Pack Rack cause it fits in my backpack and sounds decent, but for sure can't compare to the real thing.

Really can't even say I've ever had success with it either. Maybe a small 6pt or something but no shooters. Thank you for confirming my suspicions. On a side note--I have had good luck with my grunt tube and that is my go to, grunted in some nice ones. Now if I can only seal the deal on one of the brutes. Good luck on your big bucks!

28-Oct-16
how long/frequent do you guys rattle?

28-Oct-16
I love seeing those bucks being passed. More and more its happening. Keep up the good work.

28-Oct-16

jtek's embedded Photo
jtek's embedded Photo
Great thread !!! This is How the site should be. Fellow archers. Talking. About. Their passion for the sport

28-Oct-16

jtek's embedded Photo
A view from above
jtek's embedded Photo
A view from above
Great thread !!! This is How the site should be. Fellow archers. Talking. About. Their passion for the sport

28-Oct-16
Living the Dream. October in the BowStand!!

28-Oct-16
Today would be a good day for rattling. The best success I have had is on windy days when it's harder for bucks to pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I have shot a few that way! Good luck to all in the stand

28-Oct-16
I'm taking notes from Les. He said every 15 minutes because bucks are cruising. You might draw one that's walking by, just out of range, and sight. I rattle after 8:30 in the mornings. I find 9 to 10 the premium time for some reason? Evenings are not as good for me. That certainly doesn't mean I haven't been successful in the evening, but I've had more interactions in the mid morning hours. BB81 is correct. They know exactly where that sound is coming from, so get your bow at the ready.

28-Oct-16
Grunter, I love my call. I posted a tutorial in the past on how to make it sound even better. I can promise if people would shave the reed a bit with 600 grit sandpaper and use just the reed and board between their teeth instead of using the barrel, they will be amazed at how much closer they will sound like a deer. By using your teeth as the pinch, and breathing not blowing through the reed, board, and keg, you can sound like a fawn, doe, young buck, and deep guttural buck in the same sequence. I find that inticement of multiple deer works the best. I know some guys don't have much faith in calling, decoying, and rattling, but I do. I have had well over 100 different interactions with deer that I know were a direct result to calling and decoying. You just have to believe in it, learn from your mistakes, and take mental notes from live animals as they interact while you are simply observing them while hunting ambush style....and I do plenty of that, outside of this particular time of the year.

Thanks Grunter, and good luck to you too!

29-Oct-16
Spent sometime on the road yesterday. Lots of doe roadkill but not a single buck.

29-Oct-16
I second Tweed's post..lots of roadkill but all doe. Been seeing quite a few more bucks on camera so it seems like they are moving a little more than usual..at least in my area. (Adams County)

29-Oct-16
Between 4:30 & 5:45 saw 1-6 PT , 1- 8 PT & 1 -10 PT . A good evening for 55 degrees & rainy . They were all moving , not feeding .

30-Oct-16
7:20 Sunday morning. I'm typing from my stand. I regrettably just passed a very big bodied 8 pointer. Another deer I have not seen. That's now 15 positively different bucks I have seen since hunting first opened. I probably should have shot this one. Cruising and cutting off intersecting trails. Walking right through the thickest crap possible.

30-Oct-16
GL Pete, we will be using your patented tarsal scent! Hoping to get some of those buck that are on the move to move past us.

30-Oct-16
Good luck Crusader dad!

30-Oct-16

riverrigger's embedded Photo
riverrigger's embedded Photo
i turned this buck around with a couple soft grunts.maybe not a giant, but one of my most exciting hunts of my 67 years.

30-Oct-16
New deer came in tonight. He moved through cruising too fast to get a shot. 17 inch wide 8 pointer. Oblivious to me. He went right into my wind, and didn't flinch. That was a deer I haven't seen before. I think I would have shot him. Oh well, then then the tall 6 I saw breed the doe I shot on the 13th came by, and had the dinky 3 pointer bed in front of me at closing. 4 bucks today. Hunted pretty hard today, and tomorrow will be an all day hunt I believe? This is the week for cruisers, and I've certainly had my share. I'm seeing them walking through the thick stuff, head down scent checking. New scrapes every day. I have a hunch tomorrow is my day. There's just too much activity not to be confident. Southern Wisconsin.

30-Oct-16
Nice deer river rigger!

31-Oct-16
Congrats Riverrigger! Beautiful buck! Enjoy!

31-Oct-16
Had a new deer cruise through. He went through my wind, and never flinched. Decent rack, small body. Had a doe with a fawn run from the neighboring property past me. Thought perhaps a buck was dogging her, but I suspect the neighbor bumped her after his hunt. Who knows? Either way, bucks still cruising, and does and fawns still feeding in the alfalfa at night. I sure love when the bucks are cruising, but I'm still waiting on a more mature buck. Plenty of up and comers for sure! 8 different bucks in 3 days. Not real happy about this wind direction.

03-Nov-16
How long does prime hunting last? Have we hit the prime time yet and does it last like a week or weeks? I'm pretty inexperienced.

03-Nov-16
These next 2 weeks are the best in my opinion--so put in as much time now as you can. All of November is good though

03-Nov-16
I agree with Gunter, just checking in, going out in about an hour for the day,,,,,, my experience is it will last to about the 15th, after that bucks are tending, and about the 21st, there back resting, waiting to get the late season feed bag back on,,,, but that would be for the north, at least north of Hwy 8

down here I have seen them active, for a longer time, either way, hunt all you can, no matter what the weather,,,,,, today has been historic for me, so looking forward to this day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

03-Nov-16
They are up this morn. I've seen nine deer so far. 6 bucks, two different shooters. One a big 8/9 and one at least 12 point. He is the biggest free range buck I've ever seen. I'm on a ridge and they are cruising the valley below me about 90 yds

03-Nov-16
they are chasing pretty well and grunting is working in central WI. I drove home from the Dells last night and I-39 was scary w/ deer on the wrong side of the fence. Saw a big buck chasing does just outside Chula Vista in a cut corn field.

03-Nov-16
I hunt just North of Chula Vista off of Hwy 13 and I'll be up there tomorrow after work for a week's worth of hunting. Looking forward to some tree time and the sounds and sights of the rut. There is nothing like it...

03-Nov-16
Just about 15 minsnorth of Richland Center this morning at about 730 had a nice buck running 2 does around with a smaller buck hanging behind them tailing and the b at 830 had a nice wide buck come to about 40 yards only to magically vanish... deer seem to be out early this morning so far...yesterday in the spot didn't see a deer until 430 pm was out all day...

03-Nov-16

kylet's embedded Photo
kylet's embedded Photo
They're getting bigger

03-Nov-16
Hey rjlasko, the buck that you saw yesterday near Chula Vista was on the golf course dogging two does all day yesterday. He nearly ran over one of our maintenance guys on his cart. The buck definitely had only one thing on his mind!!

03-Nov-16
Hey rjlasko, the buck that you saw yesterday near Chula Vista was on the golf course dogging two does all day yesterday. He nearly ran over one of our maintenance guys on his cart. The buck definitely had only one thing on his mind!!

03-Nov-16
Seen two bucks on stand at 20 yards. One was in the low light fog, and looked cool as he came through like a ghost. Head down cutting trails. No deer seen last night. Saw a buck on the road at noon. He was on the outside of fence on a country road and ran half a mile down the ditch. My dogs were going crazy!

03-Nov-16
that buck i saw chasing was by the golf course, if he's not carefull...

03-Nov-16
On stand today. 11:14. Nice. 120 inch 8. Came to rattling. Only deer so far today

03-Nov-16
Anyone seeing a lot of midday action this will be my 3rd all day sit in a row...haven't really seen any deer between like 10 and 330...Monday though I saw 6 between 10 and 330 but since then nothing really...

03-Nov-16
For me, nothing after 10. I've done 3 all day sits. Mornings are best. Seeing cruisers until 10. Biggest deer seen at night. Odd, this field had 20 baldies in it not a week ago. Last night, nothing. They are getting dogged, and separated by the many bucks I've been seeing. I believe I've seen 16 different bucks on stand since the 25th. As of right now, only one I'd shoot.

03-Nov-16
Northern Onieda Co.

All day sits the past 4 days-2 does 3 lil bucks. A spike and 4ptr cruising together yesterday At 3pm A 12" wide 8ptr the day before at 8am. No giants in my area but peaceful sits (other than a sore rump).

Awesome buck RiverRigger!

03-Nov-16
A lot of midday movement where I am

03-Nov-16
Saw a decent 7 pointer tonight. Was an 8 with a broken G2. He was likely a 2 year old at 14 inches wide. He was cutting scent. He went through the island woods (3 acres) and the sliver (7 acres). They are in the field the 60 acre alfalfa sits. No does tonight? I think they're getting separated by the bucks? Some chasing happening after dark when it's cooler for sure. I went home picked the dogs up for a ride, and I came within 1/2 second from hitting a dand chasing a doe at full speed. I slammed the brakes and slammed my dogs into the windshield. He was breeding her tonight, no doubt at all. I'm still seeing cruisers, some trailing, and bumping. Daytime activity is not like it would be if it's cooler, but it's certainly happening early morning and late evening. Couple weeks left of vacation before the gun opener, decisions will be made soon.

03-Nov-16
1st Myself and a friend have been reading you guys for years and decided to partake. Thanks for all the updates and advice. The both of us have been hunting hard since last Sat. Seen about a dozen bucks but no shooters. Responding to grunts and rattling. Going to keep after it, the cameras showing mature bucks on the move.

04-Nov-16
Yesterday had a nice buck chasing 2 doe in a corn field as I walked in...grunted him into about 15 yards, I could see his eyes through the corn but no shot ( I was just heading in for a all day sit) then at 830 a nice buck was making his way towards me and then as he went into the thick stuff...he disappeared without a sound....it was odd...after that sat until dark great wiND for th spot...saw no deer after 830 am...last day hunting Wisconsin for me today with my brother then back home to PA on stand now! Good luck to everyone

04-Nov-16
This morning I walked up to that dinky 3 pointer to 10 feet. I shined him with my flashlight. He blew at me a few times. Had doe walk past at 12 yards around 8 am. Rattled at 9:25, and instantly a shooter came in. Under my tree. Literally breathing under my stand with my back to him. No shot. Went back the way he came. Palmated clubby rack. Big body. Rattled again 15 minutes later. Rattled in a yearling who's now bedded at 40 yards from me. Still cruising, but that doe was getting bred last night for sure.

04-Nov-16
Sitting on the river bottom watched a buck push a doe back n forth along south side of the river every time I wanted to see what he was head went back down

04-Nov-16
I think they've decided that since it's not getting cooler out they'd better go look for p^**y any way. The boy and I have seen good movement all day. I just watched another buck chase a doe 100 yds away from me at 11:00. Collins been hearing grunting.

04-Nov-16
Which part of the state?

04-Nov-16
Sitting all day today. Saw little buck chasing 3 doe right after sun up. I'm in a stand inbetween 2 corn fields. Will the heat and wind shut them down?

04-Nov-16
Rattled in a shooter at first light this morning. Saw a much smaller 8 pt cruising at about 10.

04-Nov-16
It's been silent since I moved. 12, it's now 5:21

04-Nov-16
Nothing tonight.

04-Nov-16
Almost no movement tonight

• Sitka Gear