Bowster 13-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 13-Oct-16
stagetek 14-Oct-16
Pete-pec 14-Oct-16
Knife2sharp 15-Oct-16
Knife2sharp 15-Oct-16
CaptMike 15-Oct-16
11-Oct-16
I hunt Marathon County, and about a week ago (when the weather got a little funky and started cooling) I went from seeing 10+ deer a night, to none. I have tried several different spots that I have and I haven't seen jack. Has anyone else noticed a change? I unfortunately don't get out for many morning hunts, so I'm not sure if they're moving at different times or not. I haven't had a chance to check my cams either. Feels like deer have gone extinct! lol.

11-Oct-16
Some people believe in the lull in October. I on the other hand love October more than the rut. I've killed and have seen some great bucks over the years. I change my tactics for October vs September. Just stick with it. There's a lot of changes going on right now. Deer are eating the maple leaves like crazy. I got some pretty cool footage this evening of an 8 doing just that.

12-Oct-16
We have all heard about and many of us have experienced the infamous "October Lull". I was talking to a good friend of mine (a very experienced bowhunter) the other evening about this and we came up with a theory that may have some validity. I thought I would throw it out here and see what sort of comments it brings.

Our typical bowhunting season runs like this: for the first few weeks we see plenty of deer, then sightings begin to taper off, then the dreaded "lull" happens and we see very few deer, then the seeking and chasing phase of the rut begins and sightings pick-up again, then the rut happens and we encounter the "lock-down" phase, and then by this time the season is ending and it's time to get out our rifles for the traditional November hunt. Somewhere during all this both my buddy & I take our deer.

Our theory about the "lull" is that it is caused by us entering the woods, walking out to our stands, being in our stands, and then exiting our stands. And, perhaps, checking our cameras during this time also. The general disturbance (even though we attempt to be very careful and extremely stealthful) caused by our activity and presence affects the deer and caused them to either vacate the area or change their movement pattern to more of a nocturnal rather then diurnal pattern.

So, my buddy and I were thinking we inadvertently create the "lull" by our activity.

Just, curious, what are your thoughts on this line of reasoning?

13-Oct-16
Hmm, I guess I could see this. The public land I hunt gets hit hard by waterfowl hunters, and the private land I'm on isn't very big. Only appx 20 wooded acres, and on Saturdays family started coming out and cutting fire wood.

I had also considered the weather change for the lull due to it coinciding with the lack of deer sightings. Your theory is plausible as well.

13-Oct-16
Casekiska I feel the exact same way. Most everyone sees less deer. But if you play your cards right the deer are still up during daylight. Yes even the mature bucks. I see them sticking extra tight to their staging areas.

I have a lot of thoughts about that and I see a lot of effect with thermal change. The deer seem to move more during this time when thermals begin to drop.

So many times I'll get into an area and the wind be perfect. Second the thermals drop the wind does a 180. The way I believe deer to bed they seem to have everything in their favor. And are almost unkillable. Lol

14-Oct-16
I love hunting in Oct. but, I do, and have for some time believed in the Oct. lull. I'm sure it varies from place to place, but I see it as the calm before the storm.

14-Oct-16
Casekiska. I have believed the same theory for years. I really never see a huge lull where I hunt now, because I rotate stands very often. Almost never hunt the same stand two days in a row, and almost always give it a decent rest between hunts. I have 10 stands on one property, and play the wind of course, take different approaches to enter the stands, I always carry in my seat cushion to my stands, and wash them regularly. Imagine the smell from our rear ends if we left the cushion there all season. I wash my hunting clothes every 3rd hunt, and have always used borax and borax only. I shower between every hunt, and wear new clothes between every hunt. I also wear the least amount possible walking in. Often start out walking in pretty chilly, but I'd rather get dressed in my stand, than sweat. And yes, I still get winded, but much less than I used to, before taking this very clean approach. I dress in my camo in my stand that I pack in, and I undress when I get down. Those clothes go in a large tote when I get back to my truck.

By doung this, I see a far less lull, so I concur that human scent is likely the number one reason for the lull that so many people see.

15-Oct-16

Knife2sharp's MOBILE embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's MOBILE embedded Photo

Our best buck that we had pics of last year and this year have all been nocturnal, except in the summer. We never had a pic of him after season started last year and were surprised to see him on our Lucky Buck again this summer. This is the only pic of him in hard horn during daylight. My buddy actually got on stand by this spot that evening, but left because the wind was wrong. But based on the direction he came he likely could've had a chance at him. This was October 8th at 5:30pm.

Is it me or doesn't he look a bit slender in the mid section? He's built like a pointing dog; must be a runner.

15-Oct-16
I forgot to add that he just opened up two scapes under the branches of the tree the camera is on, and another 10 yards away. I put the camera on this tree in September knowing the scrapes would open up. Putting a camera on a scrape after it opens, you could miss the big that started it.

15-Oct-16
Richland county this evening, my daughter had three different bucks, a 7 and two small eights, come past her between 4:30 and 6:00 PM.

• Sitka Gear