NHdiamond 13-Oct-16
erict 13-Oct-16
Mint 14-Oct-16
spike78 14-Oct-16
Trial153 15-Oct-16
GAFFER1 16-Oct-16
arrowknocker82 16-Nov-16
12-Oct-16
Coming from NH TO bow HUNT IN NY state. Looking for some public land to hunt. My sons first year of bow hunting so would like to et into quantity of deer. Big racks are not a concern at this time. Eastern part of NY would be a shorter ride but will take all suggestions. Thanks

13-Oct-16
Partridge Run has some good deer numbers and bow season gets little pressure. Look it up on-line! Shawn

13-Oct-16
I hunted there as a kid and killed some good bucks in there. There are a lot of good deer in there, just hunt towards the bottom of the DEC land more towards the farms as the top is pretty much forest. Shawn

13-Oct-16
Thanks I will check it out

13-Oct-16
Most "state" land is managed by the NYS Department of Conservation. Around Partridge Run you will see signs saying "WMA" and "State Forest". WMAs are managed for the wildlife, meaning they clear around apple trees, do cuttings and plantings, etc. State Forests are managed for the trees and generally look like large stands of pine trees. There are maps on the DEC website. I have been in State Forests that don't look like a deer or any other critter has visited in a long long time - there is just no food nor cover. If I were you I'd focus on the WMA areas.... and watch out for the ticks down here.

Good luck.

14-Oct-16
I agree, hit the WMA's first.

14-Oct-16
What about Albany Pine Barrens?

15-Oct-16
stick to WMA's ....

16-Oct-16
Not being able to cut branches or screw things in trees makes hunting state land a real challenge, good luck. They are really hitting the acorns now, find the oaks on Partridge Run and you will find the deer.

16-Nov-16
NH Diamond, go to NYS DEC Interactive mapper on the NYS DEC website it's an interactive map that has all of New York states (state land) highlighted plus the map is layered and I believe it has Topo as well.. Best Regards Arrkner82

• Sitka Gear