onepin 13-Oct-16
drew 13-Oct-16
deerman406 13-Oct-16
onepin 13-Oct-16
drew 13-Oct-16
bas4109 13-Oct-16
erict 13-Oct-16
13-Oct-16
Hope I can get this answered easily. I purchased my non res license online this year and have question. I paid 130.00 total. 100.00 for firearms and 30.00 bow/mzl. am I allowed 1 deer for gun AND 1 deer for bow/mzl for a total of 2 deer? I was told by one guy that only 1 deer per year and another told me 1 for each of the seasons. Can someone clarify? Thx Rick

13-Oct-16
The Deer Hunting license will get you a regular season buck tag. The Bow/ML privilege will get you an either sex tag AND a antlerless tag.

So you can shoot 1 buck during the regular gun season. 1 doe with the bow OR muzzleloader and 1 buck or doe with the bow OR muzzleloader.

So in total you could shoot 2 bucks and 1 doe OR 1 buck and 2 does.

13-Oct-16
Thx for that I appreciate the info Rick

13-Oct-16
and a bear to boot

13-Oct-16
Sorry, but I don't think this info is quite correct. I just bought my non-res license last week and got it in the mail a couple of days ago.

For $130, you got a regular firearms season buck tag and ONE buck or doe tag for bow or muzzleloader.

You can buy one more doe-only bow/muz tag for an additional $30.

Hope that helps. -Andrew

13-Oct-16
Unless the NR is totally different then the resident tag, bas4109 is correct. Shawn

13-Oct-16
drew is right on looking at tags again and have 1 reg season buck tag and 1 bow/muz either sex tag. So that's 2 deer and a bear. For 30.00 more I can get another bow/muz tag. Am I to assume that the reg season tag is for either sex? it has a box for male or female.

13-Oct-16
The info below is from this page: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8305.html

Deer

The number of deer a hunter may take depends upon the licenses and privileges purchased. Here is a description of the tags received with each license type. Refer to the chart below for a description of how each tag can be used.

Resident Hunters: If you purchase: Hunting License --

You will receive a Regular Season Deer Tag.

Muzzleloading OR Bowhunting Privilege*-- You will receive a Bow/Mz Season Either Sex Deer Tag.

Muzzleloading AND Bowhunting Privilege*-- You will receive one Bow/Mz Season Either Sex Deer Tag and one Bow/Mz Season Antlerless Deer Tag, both of which may be used in either season.

* A hunting license must be purchased to be eligible for Bowhunting and Muzzleloading Privileges.

Nonresident Hunters: If you purchase:

Nonresident Hunting License-- You will receive a Regular Season Deer Tag.

Nonresident Muzzleloading OR Nonresident Bowhunting*-- You will receive a Bow/Mz Season Either Sex Deer Tag.

Nonresident Muzzleloading AND Nonresident Bowhunting*-- You will receive one Bow/Mz Season Either Sex Deer Tag and one Bow/Mz Season Antlerless Deer Tag, both of which may be used in either season.

* A hunting license must be purchased to be eligible for Bowhunting and Muzzleloading Privileges.

13-Oct-16
So it sounds like only the bow OR only the ML privilege was purchased. I assumed when you said Bow/ML it meant bow AND ML but I should have figured that out when you said you spent $130.

13-Oct-16
I believe this may be a comprehensive answer for you:

All hunters must purchase the hunting license - residents or nonresidents alike. It includes small game plus big game, which includes a regular (gun) season antlered deer tag and a bear tag. Things like turkey tags and DMPs cost a bit extra.

Add a Bow OR Muzzleloader privilege and the first extra deer tag is for either sex, which can be used during the corresponding Bow or Muzzle season.

Add Muzzle to Bow, or Bow to Muzzle and the tag is antlerless only, and both tags are now good for use during bow or muzzle seasons. You could shoot them both with a bow, or both with a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader season is also "crossbow" season - nothing extra needed as long as you have a muzzleloader privilege.

The Regular Season tag is not valid during the early archery/muzzleloader seasons - only during gun season and after. Don't forget that if unused, your Regular Season tag ("gun season buck tag") becomes an either sex tag that can be used in the late bow/muzzleloader seasons.

Also don't forget that even if you missed out on the deadline for the first round of Deer Management Permits (DMPs) - "doe permits", there are certain Wildlife Management Units (WMUs), mostly in western NY, that are put up for grabs as leftover permits. Last year they were WMUs 1C, 3M, 3R, 3S, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8J, 8N, 9A, and were offered beginning November 1. They are first-come, first serve and often you can walk out with 2. You can also accept and be "consigned" up to 2 DMPs from other hunters - one of the rare freebies if you can find them.

Depending where you hunt you may be able to find a landowner looking for people to hunt under their nuisance (outside deer season) permits, or DMAP (during season) permits to control usually an overabundance of antlerless deer.

Good luck.

• Sitka Gear