Nocturnal8 21-Nov-16
Nocturnal8 23-Nov-16
Nocturnal8 23-Nov-16
Nocturnal8 24-Nov-16
Nocturnal8 27-Nov-16
Nocturnal8 27-Nov-16
Crusader dad 28-Nov-16
13-Oct-16
I'm going to start my own live thread. Follow along if you'd like.

Racine county, Jefferson county, Clark, and Jackson county.

95% Public hunting.

13-Oct-16

Nocturnal8's embedded Photo
I am on a doe mission. For anyone not aware. I was in a little atv accident. I can finally draw my bow. Still in some pain but tolerable. I'm out here. I'm set 70 yards off their beds, which took over an hour to close the final 100 yards. It's quiet and the wind is kinda iffy but I'm here

13-Oct-16
Glad you made it out!

13-Oct-16
Good luck!

13-Oct-16

Not where I shot initially. Ended up rolling in 30 frames per second cause light was falling. Ended up going over her back. Miss judged the yardage. It was good to get out.

13-Oct-16
Congrats on your persistence and best of luck.

14-Oct-16
Have you been hunting public land in Clark County for awhile? I just moved to Chippewa County right on the boarder of Clark and Eau Claire County and was curious how the public land hunting was around here. Heard mix reviews about it being over crowded and no deer.

14-Oct-16
Thanks guys!

Willert the public hunting can be tough in Clark. There are a lot of wolves as you know, but There's still a good population of deer. It seems to me their in pockets. Just scout a bunch of areas until you find some good sign. You can do great.

14-Oct-16
Good to hear you are able to get out again, I wish I could. I will follow your hunts here and the live thread on the beast to get my fix for now.

16-Oct-16
Rut what happened? Your not able to get out?

16-Oct-16
Went to my cabin this weekend. Spent the majority of the day moving rock. But got washed up and headed for my number one buck bed I have on my list. About 6 o'clock I heard a deer get up and turned out to be one lone doe. So that was it for my evening hunt. Not much going on for me. It's been a slow proces getting things settled considering I have barely two hands to use.

Sign has slowly picked up. Found a few scrapes and a nice rub line that opened up by a spot I checked this spring. Unfortunatly I found it today and had to head home cause of work. So I threw a cam on it to see if he takes that trail back by the time I get back up.

Looking forward to the following weeks to come. I'll be hunting near my home town for the next week and a half. Be back up and hit it hard. It's been one heck of a season already. Lots of ups and downs and huge learning curves along the way. I feel blessed to just be in the woods and never take that for granted.

16-Oct-16
"Rut what happened? Your not able to get out?"

Just some family stuff. I will be out a lot during the last week of Oct and the first 2 weeks of Nov.

16-Oct-16
Ok.. Well I hope all is well with you and your family. God bless! Best of luck to you this year!

17-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 - glad to read you are now able to get out, what with the wrist 'n all. I'll bet it is awkward & uncomfortable to shoot, but the best hunting is coming up and the season isn't a complete bust. Good for you.

So, one of your hunting areas is Jackson County,...have you ever hunted the Saddle Mound, Pray, Potter's or Whitetail Flowage areas? We used to hunt those areas years ago. The mentioning of bowhunting in Jackson brings back many fond memories of adventures in my younger days. Those were some great times & we had lots of fun stomping that ground. Our group got a few, but not many, deer there. But what was important is that we cut our teeth on bowhunting for whitetails and learned a lot about how to do it. Most importantly tho, we had fun and enjoyed the camaraderie of our fellow bowhunters. You can't tag or measure that, but it is as much of a trophy as any set of antlers ever has been. Sometimes I go downstairs into my "memory room" and look at all the mounts, sets of antlers, and old bowhunting memorabilia decorating the walls and just sit there taking it all in,...recalling what happened, who I was with, the challenges & fun & laughs & banter of bowhunters enjoying themselves and the great outdoors. I can relive those days. I look at a particular rack and I can count the number of inches, but what's really important is the experience of the event, the how & when & who I was with & the recall of everything that went right to be able to put those antlers on the wall. The real reward of those dusty antlers arrives from the recollection of the occasion and the people & events. In the long run, the journey of a lifetime of bowhunting and the associated memories become the meaningful reward. Sitting in my "memory room", taking it all in, I get lost in bowhunts past.

Noc8 - I apologize. I did not mean to try to steal your thread. Or to change the subject, but your mentioning of Jackson County got me going down memory road. Thank-you to you for posting this thread about your bowhunting season. I am looking forward to reading about it. I wish you luck & a good year.

17-Oct-16
"Ok.. Well I hope all is well with you and your family. God bless! Best of luck to you this year!"

Thanks bud, best of luck to you as well.

17-Oct-16
Your not stealing my thread at all, and yes I am very familiar with that area. That is my stomping ground. I have a cabin near Spaulding pond if you know where that is? I grew up hunting that area and I find it hard to leave with all the memories I have with it. I've taken some great bucks in that area over the years. It's tough finding the big guys outside of the rut but a blind squirrel strikes every once in a while. I have better areas to hunt throughout the state, and I hunted farmland in the Clark county to the north. But my heart didn't feel complete. I was missing the struggle I grew up with. It's harder and the racks are smaller but as you say and I completely agree a set of antlers doesn't mean as much as the cameraderie and time spent with family. I enjoy hard work and simply enjoy just seeing deer. It makes success that much sweeter. It's nice to know a guy on here who has a mental picture of the stories I post. It's a small world after all.

What areas did you guys hunt? I know all the roads you'll mention.

17-Oct-16
Noc8 - We first went to Warrens and then would take County O to the north. Then we went on to North Settlement Road. These were both blacktop roads by the time we hunted there. But, we then turned onto a series of sandy fire lanes and traveled 1 - 2 (mostly north) miles to our makeshift campsite,....or, we traveled 15 - 20 miles, again on sandy fire lanes, to the north & east all the way up to Hwy. 54. We then would head west to either Saddle Mound or to Pray where we had established campsites. I have not been back to that country in many, many years and I believe now these sandy fire lanes are all blacktop roads with names, at least that's what a buddy said who used to hunt there with me. Also, I understand now there are numerous cranberry growing operations in the areas we hunted. I am going to check and see if I still have my old maps (topo) of the area and the hand drawn maps I made. We'll see, hope so.

Are you familar with the area where the Knapp fire tower used to be? A blacktop road now leads past it's former location. In '64 that road was just a narrow fire lane leading to the tower and I shot my first buck from a makeshift ground blind as he attempted to cross that fire lane,...wooden arrow, Bear Razorhead, a recurve, instinctive,...as Howard Hill said, ",,,the Hard Way." (Much different than now.)

I'm going to check for my old maps. Perhaps I'll be able to recall the names of other roads.

When I hunted there we used to make a lot of drives with groups of 20 - 30 bowhunters. Most of our shots were at running deer and we didn't get many, but we did see a lot throughout the day. Some of those swamps, flowages, and bogs were tough to walk through, even for a younger man, and we always wore very high or hip boots. We would often be on spongy ground or in a marsh, or in ankle deep water all day. We were almost always driving through a bog with tough grass higher than our heads. Oftentimes the drivers would hear a deer get up and take off, but never see it, the grass & buckbrush was so thick. The standers were positioned on high ground at the end of the drive and for the most part stayed dry. They often heard the deer before seeing them so they had time to get ready.Then it was pure hell to drag a deer out; two or three guys would pull the deer while another carried the equipment.

As we all know, today bowhunters hunt differently. Back than we shot recurves, used finger tabs or gloves, and most shot instinctively. Thus, it was easy to make a snap shot on a running deer,...I'm not trying to say we always hit 'em (we didn't), but it was easy to execute the shot quickly. A lot of us too canted our bows which lends itself to quick shooting. This is different than today,...we now keep the bow vertical, line up the bubble on the sight, hook our release on, draw back with the correct back tension, pick out the right pin to use, look through the peep, maintain back tension, and then think about shooting,....all of which means that by the time the shot is made the deer is in the next county. Recurves, wooden arrows, tabs,....good gear for drives back in the day. I respect and admire the traditional shooters of today. In a way I wish I could still do that, but at my age a compound seems to be the way to go. Although I do have a long bow Steve Welte of Deathwish Longbows near Richland Center made for me. Maybe I should get it out and try it again.

Gotta git. I will look for the maps.

17-Oct-16
I usually give a hunt or two around the knapp tower. Closer to private farms that border public. Yes there have been fire lanes that have turned to black top. Only a few though and those are north of 54 to the river. But most have remained the same. You'd be amazed at the amount of clear cutting that has occurred over the last 10 years. I'm sure you'd say wow. Lots of elk have been spotted around the knapp tower and along hwy O towards milston.

18-Oct-16
Hey Noc do you ever see any bears while out hunting or scouting? ??

18-Oct-16
I know they're there but I have never seen a bear. Only wolves here and there.

18-Oct-16
I woke up early this morning. took a ride and checked some areas to hunt today. This week is usually my best to hunt because of all the pheasant hunters walking around and pushing deer into predictable bedding. I checked 3 different areas and the sign is looking good. One has a big set of fresh tracks along a creek and going into an area I know well. i took a half day and I am leaving now. Tonight should be a good night.

19-Oct-16
Good luck to everyone in the future.

I'm somewhat surprised to have had a few messages from people telling me what they think of me on this site. Apparently I'm a narsassist and bring problems to this site.

I thought maybe I brought some decent insight to deer hunting and kept deer in mind on the off season.

I'm electing myself out. So good luck to everyone this year and wish everyone the best of luck.

19-Oct-16
That's too bad. I've never seen anything posted by you that made you come off as a narcissist. Maybe they got you confused for someone else?

19-Oct-16
Noc, you will never make everyone happy, just as you and I have differed on here. I offend some but that is their problem, not mine. I offer my opinions just as they do. We are all different and thank God for that. No reason for you not to continue. Obviously Tweed, JR, Case and I have been following your posts.

19-Oct-16
I'm following too buddy! Keep at it and don't get discouraged! I sure do enjoy your posts. It's easy to tell you have the love for bowhunting and deer. Keep bringing it and good luck tonight. I'm out myself now and saw a 5pt early this morning. Only 10 yards away, that made my day

19-Oct-16
I vote yes for you to stay. I've been following as well!

19-Oct-16
Noc8 - ya gotta stay man. OK - there's some jerks out there. We all face that. I too am sometimes overly sensitive to other's comments. Most of the time when we get criticized it is simply someone trying to make themselves feel better by dragging us down. Heck dude, you know when you've done wrong, said the wrong thing or over stepped the bounds of civility. YOU know when you have. Just as I know when I have. Maybe then we need to rein ourselves in, but I do not see that you have in any way shape or form. I vote for you to stay. If some of the fellows don't like what you are saying, let them not read it. Others enjoy your comments. Keep up the "Nocturnal's Live Hunt Thread." Why let negativity win? I do not know you well, but I do think you are bigger than that. STAY.

19-Oct-16
Really? You've had people PM you to swing a purse? LMAO!

Go hunt. Have fun. Take some pics. Post updates or a story.

Plenty of us will enjoy it.

19-Oct-16
Noc, please keep adding your insight. It is obviously appreciated and anticipated by more people than me. Like my Mom always used to tell us kids, "Let it run off your back like rain on a duck's back!"

19-Oct-16
Thanks to a fellow member on here for clarifying the person who's messaging.

Bwahahaha im not swinging a purse. I'm expressing my frustration with this site. I've been here for a long time and it's irritating how there seems to be that 1 guy constantly "stirring the pot." Great threads going the other direction. This site would be great if we could get rid of them. Moderators Could do a Better job in my opinion. This is one of my favorite sites. A lot of guys I look up to and some great information to learn and keep up with.

It is what it is. I was quite surprised to see that many messages this morning. So I thought wow? i must have really pissed some people off? Turns out? one may have multiple handles? "Not surprised at all."

I'm sure a lot of guys have had the thought of leaving because of this issue. Some have and some don't post as often or share their successes anymore. I went public with this. Cause I take time out to share my expierence and knowledge. I know a lot of guys know me and I thought it would be fair to let them know.

I'm here to stay and Im humbled to hear so many ask me to do so. It means a lot cause I do enjoy talking anything outdoors and mostly whitetails. So thank you to everyone who has supported my stay.

I'll be the first to say I could do a better job at staying away from the negativity. I stick up for people. That's who I am. Trolls will be trolls. Somewhat admired that I have haters here. Must be doing something right. ;)

19-Oct-16
Glad to hear it, f-:k whom ever pissed you off. If you say something I don't agree with i for one will say it in the open. A PM is for pussies or guys actually try to get info. One of the two is acceptable. I've never started a topic that is debate free because the debate is what helps me form my opinion. If I disagree with you I vow to say anything that I have to say up front and in front of everyone. Wether I or you disagree we should be able to hash it out in public so others can learn from it. I've never pmd someone with a disagreement and never will. That is a pussy Move as far as I'm concerned. We are men. Say what you have to say out loud or shut the F up!

19-Oct-16
I agree with you Shane.

Trapper I will be following along and commenting on your journey!

Same goes for you crusader

19-Oct-16
No, Nocturnal. I wasn't accusing you of swinging a purse. I was saying that I found it humorous that someone would PM you to swing a purse AT you.

I married a WI farm girl of German descent. I have been tempered in the hell fires of marriage. Someone hurtling insults or abuse at me has no real impact...especially if it is colorful and creative. The old lady yammering and squawking here grows wearying though. It's like having a murder of crows in the tree next to you.

If I pop in and see the usual suspects rehashing the usual nonsense with the usual catch phrases, I'll wander on. I suspect others do the same.

I'd love to see more write-ups about guys' hunts with pictures, live hunts, bow builds etc.

How about some more pics Nocturnal8? Temp/wind/conditions? Anecdotes?

19-Oct-16
Nocturnal, you are one of the good guys here. You are dedicated and passionate about what you do. You bring a lot of knowledge and insight to the site as well. I'm guessing that those pinging you to complain are jealous of your contributions. Keep keeping on buddy.

19-Oct-16
Don't let the few asses around here keep you away. We just have to live with them.....as hard as it is sometimes.

Unless your a landowner like me then your too much to take or bait in massive illegal quantities and pretend you never bait.

19-Oct-16
Lol Orionsbrother! You've your hands full it sounds like!!

Thanks happy!! Means a lot coming from you!

Elk I do my best! That's for sure!! Lol we are all secret batters to certain peeps! Lol

19-Oct-16
you taught me how to identify and look for a buck's bed. I can't even find my own damn bed 3 nights a week! Keep it up, brother!

20-Oct-16
Thanks for stayin', Noc! Don't let the bad guys win!

20-Oct-16
Thanks guys! Reggie your a killer man. I just pointed you in a direction I believe in.

22-Oct-16
ive been busy. Last nights report:

I took a buddy out with me. We hoped in the canoe. Set up around 4:30. He was covering a different bedding 150 yards from me. 5:30 I heard one get up and start moving through the cattails right to me. He hit a fork in the trail which went the furthest away. All I could see was his big fat head sporting a dandy rack. He winded me at 40 yards. Turned around and went back to where he came from. Long story short we were covered in bucks last night. They were chasing like crazy. Grunting non stop. My buddy had a 10 at 15 yards. Right as he was coming to full draw he clipped his trigger, which sent his arrow off the string and down it went. The buck took off. Lol. We met back at dark. He could barely talk with all the excitement. We could still hear them chasing around off in the distance. Giving this area another break. Hopeful to get back out there when things really heat up. Maybe spend an all dayer out there.

22-Oct-16
Tonight's hunt was a bust. I was a little careless with my set up and clanked metal a couple times. I wasn't happy about that. I got my camera arm set up. I went to stand up and grap my camera out of my jacket. Which I never have in there. Big mistake, as I stood up my camera falls out of my pocket and falls to the ground 20 feet. I couldn't believe it. Thankfully there was zero damage and functions perfectly. Thank you cannon for a solid build.

I won't be out until Thursday or Friday. Family time and I'll be out of town for work Monday and Getting back home Tuesday afternoon.

It will be nice to get a break from hunting. I'll be fresh for later this week. Oh and the sign has really picked up down here. Lots of fresh rubs and scrapes. Good luck to everyone going out. Things are really picking up.

23-Oct-16
I hope you stick around and keep posting. I enjoy your posts. Ignore the negative people.

23-Oct-16
Noc, close call on the camera. I too have a cord for mine to prevent that. Several years ago while on a hunt in December I dropped my pack out of the tree while climbing down. The Nikon DLSR in the pack hit the only large rock below the tree and was turned into several unrepairable pieces.

Another good tip is to get your gear listed on insurance for replacement cost.

23-Oct-16
Thanks smokey, your one of my favorites on here. I hope to see more of you posts. That's a good tip with the string guys. Im gonna end up doing that. That was a major no no. I have a 5 year no questions asked replacement on whatever happens. This is the time I don't want to go with out it.

27-Oct-16

Not out hunting today but I added rubber tubing to my buckles on my stand and sticks. Night and day difference. I can't even try to make a noise. Id encourage anyone to try these. You wouldn't be disappointed.

27-Oct-16
Nice! Will try that

27-Oct-16
Nocturnal - You're probably aware, but just in case you haven't already, check out smokey's photography.

smokey - Please PM your web address again. I was just telling someone at work about the picture that you took before the storm and I've misplaced the link. Thanks.

27-Oct-16
I've looked at some of smokeys work. You can't teach someone to have an eye for beauty. Did I miss something with it?

BB81. Go to the hardware store and get tire tubing. " 1.75"-2.25" will fit perfect for any XOP or lone wolf products. Not sure about other ones. If you want more of a detailed picture I'm more than willing. This really helps.

28-Oct-16
What a morning to say the least! I walked out the door at 2:30 to make an hour drive. Got the yak on the water a little after 3:30. Made the 40 minute paddle along with a brutal walk through high water cattails. Got myself setup on an island. I was setting up my last stick when I heard a deer come walking in I was pegged to the tree for over 20 minutes. It walked off into the marsh and I got myself situated. Light came and I could see deer running from one island to another. I had a 7 come to 20 yards. I've seen maybe 8 or 9 deer so far. And a big 12 point standing 120 yards on the island to south of me. I hit the antlers and he disappeared. That was about a half hour ago. Nothing since and the winds Are changing. I might have to get down and move. We'll see what it does. 5 hour energy will be entering my system in 3. 2. 1........ ;-)

28-Oct-16
Good luck Noc! Sounds like an exciting morning. Wish I was out sitting in a tree instead of sitting at work. I'll just have to live vicariously through anyone out today, lol

28-Oct-16
Get that 12 Noc! I'm out too buddy. Sounds like your morning is way more exciting than mine. I know--these southeast winds are challenging. Most my stands are set for northwest! Good luck!!

28-Oct-16
Thanks guys. It has quieted down since then. What a beautiful day to be out though. Sorry deerslayer! Lol.

28-Oct-16
Thanks trapper.. I'll be out all day for the next three days. Good luck to you bud.

29-Oct-16

Ive been at it all day with nothing to be seen. Im hunting a little closer to the island where I saw the big 12. He's somewhere out here. This warm weather really bites. But things could be worse. It's gonna be a long night tonight. With a hour and a half walk back.

29-Oct-16
Man that looks like a prime area Noc. I love those spots where you can see a long ways and get the binos on em. I'm sure this warm weather cuts down on the daytime movement, but hoping things pick up for this afternoon. Stay alert. Have you tried rattling?

29-Oct-16
I've rattled a few time throughout today. Skeeters were out until the wind shifted North east. Pretty solid breeze blowin through right now.

29-Oct-16
Stayed in today because of the heat. Im over mosquitoes.

29-Oct-16
Handing out candy tonight. Hunted this morning and sounded like a one man band trying to get set up. At least I only got 8 mosquito bites!!!

29-Oct-16
Nocturnal, we need some colder weather I think. I rattled as well. Saw 1 doe, and one small buck. The doe passed at 12 yards, but neither (I believe) came into the rattling. Bad wind for me, and took tonight off. Heat wave needs to go bye bye! Good luck!

30-Oct-16
Yeah I think so too Pete. Lots of stand time for me yesterday and never saw a thing. Tough hunting when that happens. Rolling the dice this morning set up on the ground. Lot less work this way. Lol

30-Oct-16
The morning has been amazing. Between my buddy and I we have seen 9 deer. I passed a 8 at 7:45 and he had a 8 come to 10 yards at 9:30. He said he heard water and 3 seconds later it was on top of him. I guess they had a stare down for a few seconds and he took off. This is his first year bow hunting so he's still learning the bow hunting way. He made me laugh when he said if I had a crossbow, dam thing would have had a arrow in him.

I had to pretty much beg him to come out this morning cause he doesn't like to wake up and be out the door at 3. This is my last day down here. Than I'll be in wolf country till the end of the rut. I'll give this a late season go if nothing arises for me till then.

30-Oct-16
Sounds like a great morning. Wish I woulda got my butt outta bed. Not sure I could leave that area knowing that 12pt you saw was around. How come your switching it up? Good luck this afternoon!!

30-Oct-16
My buddy just shot a buck. I'm getting down to meet him right now. There must be a couple of hot doe's in the area because it's been consistent all day.

Grunter. Yeah I know. But I enjoy family time, and that's where they're hunting. They were bummed I stayed back this weekend. I'm certain this buck will be around later in the year. From a public hunters perspective it's a long way in and most people don't make that kind of walk.

30-Oct-16
That makes total sense. Family time is very important. I have a small family, and only me and my dad hunt. And my dad is no where near as obsessed as me. Just think he kinda lost his passion so your very lucky.

Cant wait to hear the outcome of this buck your buddy shot!! That exciting. Looking forward to the story.

On a side note, if your ever looking for a shed hunting buddy or just a scouting buddy let me know. Love that stuff

30-Oct-16

30-Oct-16
Not looking good here. Ended up finding the arrow broke off at the broadhead. and I'm thinking he hit the shoulder. Poor penetration with drops of bright red blood. He crossed the river onto private property we have to make the walk back and Knock on a door.

30-Oct-16
Dang not what I wanted to hear. Yeah doesn't sound good. Did he say how big it was? Hope this doesn't leave a bad taste in his mouth for the future. We've all been there

30-Oct-16
I'm not sure if I mentioned. But a few days ago I had a 7 point come in. Well that's the one he shot. I'll have to post a picture of him. It's on my camera so I'll have to pull it from there. We went to knock on the door and no one was there. What a big change to our day. I wrote a note and stuck it in the door. Hope he calls me. We are going home for tonight. He's not happy it's gonna be a long ride home with him. I already know what this outcome will be. But I don't give up on deer until I know 100%

03-Nov-16
My dad and I got skunked tonight. Checked a cam after dark and a big 10 came through at 5:52. We debated on going there but said no. Cat and mouse games have begun. We're sitting a rut funnel tomorrow morning where I shot my buck out of last year. Our hopes are high. Im playing camera man while the boss sits behind the bow!

03-Nov-16
Wolves were howling like crazy earlier.

04-Nov-16
What a morning! Buck down!! My dad was behind the bow.. Lots of deer moving...

04-Nov-16
I'll post pics when we get him out..

04-Nov-16
I'm enjoying your thread and look forward to a photo or two. Congrats!

04-Nov-16
Awesome!

04-Nov-16
Awesome, video?

04-Nov-16

Here he is as he lays..

04-Nov-16

I usually don't post pictures of deer because I'm gonna edit my videos for you all to see. But this is an exception because I was setting up my camera arm and my bow was on the ground. So I had to take pictures instead.

04-Nov-16

04-Nov-16
awsome! Can't wait for the video. Father and son duo in one day would be pretty cool for you guys.

05-Nov-16
Wound channel. I will post a video of my season once it's over.

06-Nov-16
Thanks dukes..

Yesterday and today were on fire for the mornings. Passed on a total of 8 different bucks. Couple of deer I debated on taking but held out cause I'm still hopeful for the future. Packing up and heading home. I'll be on stand tomorrow in Jefferson co. I am extremely happy for the last 3 days. 14 bucks and 5 doe's. All public land. Only 3 bucks and 2 doe's for the afternoons not surprised with the weather.

06-Nov-16
Congrats to your Dad, great buck!

07-Nov-16
It's been a super slow and quiet morning! Where did all the deer go.? Knowing I only have 2 weeks until the gun fire erupts has me a little sad. Time to get serious and make something happen. I absolutely love this time of year. Any day now, I feel it..

10-Nov-16

Just passed this little guy but he sure was pretty to watch.

10-Nov-16

Just passed this little guy but he sure was pretty to watch.

10-Nov-16
Great stories. Congrats to your dad.

11-Nov-16

This little guy came to the antlers. Think my thread is getting a little boring so I'll post some pics

11-Nov-16
I cant post pics from mobil. I get an error message.

Thanks for adding more pics. Love seeing everyones view.

11-Nov-16

This is a little better

11-Nov-16
Not boring at all yet. I'm excited for your end of season video.

11-Nov-16
Just passed my 25th public land buck for the year. I can't believe all the dinks I've seen. The big boys must be locked down tight. The wind is a little iffy. But this is my last weekend up here for the archery rut. I'm pushing into my best bedding area I know. Something's gotta give

11-Nov-16

Just crossed the beaver pond. Couple funnels through it which leads right to the beds. :-) feeling hopeful....

11-Nov-16
Nice go get him noc. Look like a get area!! Have fun good luck and enjoy the hunt.

11-Nov-16
That's a beautiful spot. Deer or no deer. Enjoy the sunset. I'm on the golf course right now freezing my ass off.

11-Nov-16
I had a very eventful night. Although I didn't release. It was dead quiet all afternoon. I wanted to stay quiet seeing as I was tucked as close as I could to there beds. The wind was iffy so I sat off by 100 yards. 4:15 I hear a deer walking out. It's a doe and behind her was a deer I call funky boy. I don't name deer but he's funky looking. He blew up from last year too. But they moved from right to left at 70 yards. I couldn't believe it. I tried to bleat at him. He stopped and looked but continued behind her. I snort wheezed at him. He ignored it. As I'm watching him leave from my life I hear another deer. I look behind me to the right and it's another big buck coming in. I come to full draw. Doing so I realized I never turned my camera on to even record the first two. The buck locked up at 35 facing me. I held at full draw for over 3 minutes and couldn't hold anymore. I let down slowly but he caught me and took off running. After it was all done I couldn't keep myself together: what a night, when it happens it just happens. Funky boy put me in a state of mind that I don't do well with. I wanted him so bad last year but ended up taking a different deer. I can't believe how much he blew up. I'm still dumbfounded. I wish I would have focused and put my videoing instinct together. Kicking myself.

19-Nov-16

20-Nov-16
Nice Job Noc!

20-Nov-16
Congrats! Nice buck!

20-Nov-16
I forgot to ask, did you capture it on video?

21-Nov-16
Sorry I didn't think anyone commented. I didn't get him on camera. I shot him at 6:40 in the morning. With the high winds I never heard him and he was on top of me before I could do anything other than put him down. I shot him at 18 yards as he was going to bed. Nice 9 point for the public land in our area. I'm back to bow hunting for the rest of my season. I'm still hopeful to put down a biggin

23-Nov-16
Going back up in a couple days to hit some beds with my bow. The guns will be blazing but I feel it will help my situation. I checked cams that I moved to check transitions leading to bedding and it showed two big boys going in on Friday evening and running together. Then back out on Saturday night and back in early Sunday morning. I've never seen this before but with the time stamp encourages my theory to the exact beds they may be holding up in. If the surrounding pressure holds. I believe my chances to be great..

23-Nov-16
Thanks trap!!

24-Nov-16

Got this guy all cut up this morning!!

27-Nov-16
I learned a valuable lesson while hunting this past weekend. Being the 2nd weekend of gun I thought I would see the best odds all season in this particular bedding area which was hit pretty good. The beds held deer but they moved at last light. To dark to see 10 yards. I would have packed up sooner. But I wanted to see if it held deer and see just how late it would be before they did move.

I'll leave that area for the year. For next year and the remainder I will focus on areas that haven't been touched during the gun season. I thought just how tough it would be to even see a single deer right now walking daylight in high pressure areas. I would say they are just as tough to kill, as a mature deer in a non pressured area. It goes to show just how tight you have to get to their beds. That's the only way you will get in the game.

27-Nov-16
I'm going to close out my personal thread. Thanks to all the guys for help keeping this alive and showing the support. This year was a unbelievable year. Although I haven't tagged out with my bow yet. I would be happy to hang my hat on the season already. I could write a book on all the things I've learned just in this year. With one more year of whitetail hunting under my belt I sit back and realize how some of you elder guys may be light years ahead of me. My biggest mistake I made this year was second guessing certain setups. I believe to go with your gut and not overthinking. That was a major impact on not being successful with a couple biggins.

I've also learned that when the wind isn't in a deers favor the will likely push further into a marsh or swamp. Too many times I thought I should hang here. Only to learn they weren't on the edge bit rather deeper into the marsh. Losing my chances during camera time.

I know for a fact I would have gotten a great deer if it weren't for videoing. I've been burned more times than one. Whether it was by light fading or not being able to keep the camera on it. Also as the season progressed I began to neglect the camera on certain occasions. Rut hunting may be the best, but often the hardest for a solo video Hunter.

I will continue to hunt into the late season but my time is now limited and will focus more on weather. I may try and take a doe only because I won't have enough to last me into next year.

On a final note I'm looking forward to sharing my season with you guys. Thanks for reading and I hope you all enjoyed. Good luck to the rest still trying and congrats to everyone who has been successful.

28-Nov-16
Looking forward to the video. Good luck with the rest of your season. I'm out here again in my rain gear. 20 mph wind.

• Sitka Gear