Missouribreaks 18-Oct-16
Jeff in MN 18-Oct-16
Tweed 18-Oct-16
Jeff in MN 18-Oct-16
Landoscott 18-Oct-16
HunterR 18-Oct-16
14-Oct-16

Naz 's Link
Harvests reported through Oct. 10 show archers at 9,500+ whitetails, youth gun hunters 8,000+ and crossbow users 7,000+.

14-Oct-16
Looks like crossbows are slowly taking over the season. Bowhunter numbers with real bows are on a serious decline in many areas, Wisconsin included.......

15-Oct-16
I wonder if 9500/7000 represents the same ratio as bow/xbow.

15-Oct-16
"Looks like crossbows are slowly taking over the season." I'd say they are rapidly taking over the season.

15-Oct-16
Yes the conversion has been much faster than when the compound came on the scene. The bowhunter Fred Bear dreaming days have almost come to an end....sad and concerning day for bowhunting and bowhunting organizations.

15-Oct-16
Easier is better, in the eyes of many. Can't get any easier than using a crossgun.

15-Oct-16
The era of "bowhunting" is on the way out. Sure would be nice if there was a "rewind button" in life sometimes. Our society is addicted to "fast forward".

15-Oct-16
"The era of "bowhunting" is on the way out. Sure would be nice if there was a "rewind button" in life sometimes. Our society is addicted to "fast forward"."

Sad but very true.

15-Oct-16
This thread is very quiet, tells you how many on this forum have already left bowhunting.

15-Oct-16
Over 74% of the "archery" kills so far this year have been with crossbows and the rut is not in full swing yet. Archery kills will continue to increase with the percentage of crossbow kills going over 90% within 2-3 years. Guns kills will decrease because by the time gun season rolls around there won't be many deer left to shoot.

15-Oct-16
MO Breaks, I argued this a few years ago before it was made law. Very few people made any effort to fight it and even more on this site were for it. You'll find little support here.

15-Oct-16
Thank you Scott Walker for selling out to the crossgun companies.

15-Oct-16
Hopefully crossbows stay out of Montana, but not likely. I cannot believe how crossbows ended the great bowhunting traditions of Michigan and Wisconsin. Fred Bear is puking in his grave.

15-Oct-16
Not many are interested in defining what a hunt is especially a hunt for deer . They are more interested in the idea that they regardless of their situation or limitations have a right to kill a deer in the archery season . Too little, too old, too hurt, too busy ,too young, too lazy . They are all the same thing, just reasons to cock your crossgun or fire a bullet. A failure to see the realitity. If you never define a hunt and never limmit yourself what do you actual have ? Something not that special . actually Its now. crossed over into not being fair chase . Its amazing in 2016 there are people that are still counting and measuring the animals at the same time the actual hunt and the details of how the animal was killed is never mentioned . Amazing We still gun. Hunt lol. Amazing that in 2016 it has never been more easy to shoot a bow and people still need a cross gun with a scope on it . We even have proud parents even a grandfather on WI Bowsite yes WI BOWSITE bragging about their grandchild of age 12 that has killed 6 deer all ready . We are caught in the transition, and it is painfull . The hunt for a deer with a bow is being replaced with a youth pulling his gun trigger and the old , the young, the hurt, the week , or the lazy pulling his cross gun trigger . The good news is there are still places where real bowhunting is being done . Its out there you just have look for it .

16-Oct-16
Maybe the gun hunters will start to push back agaunst the xgun folks? A separate season maybe right after muzzleloader ?

16-Oct-16
Clearly there has never been a better time to own your herd , and follow your own rules . If you can do this you can shield yourself from ideas and theories and more importantly the impact of the easy deer kills. So In 2016 the bow is being tossed into the bonfire at record levels . At the same time men are dancing and wildly celebrating their cross gun kills . Ever more alarming in 2016 we will continue to hold a gun hunt , actually forceing ourselfs to participate so traditions can live on . The one thing helping the herd is those people that are selectively killing , letting deer purposely walk so they can get older . If the trend of easy kill via cross guns on any doe including fawns and small bucks continues we will have to move to where the entire season is divded into time periods . You would have to draw a period and than pick your tool , an arrow , a bullet , or what ever else the industry needs to sell . Everyone in blaze hunting their own time period . One thing that should be looked into soon is the older hunter that now has a lot of free time on his hands and is using. The bow season and their cross gun to kill multiple deer in a very short time . Its like these guys are making up for all the years they didn't get a deer . Shamefull. Just Shamefull .

16-Oct-16
X2 LTL. Tweed, Another special season ? And, in Dec yet ? Why when you can kill them in warm, pretty October ? If I'm not mistaken there still is a four day antlerless hunt in mid Dec. No need to kill anymore pregnant does.

16-Oct-16
Tweed, that would be the single, best thing that could happen. That is why, once we knew were going to have a crossbow season, we fought to have a separate license and accountability for the two weapons, rather than having them all combined under an archery tag. If enough people were to raise a stink about it, the DNR does have the ability to change the crossbow season.

Stagetek, if you want to send any "Thank You" cards I'd suggest sending them to the NRA and to legislator Mary Czaja.

16-Oct-16
Wow PB, that's some really bad math!! 42% would be more accurate. Still an alarming number for sure.

16-Oct-16
It`s so much more fun for stagetek to keep the walker derangement syndrome alive, the source of all evil dont cha know. Walker baaaad, democrats gooood

16-Oct-16
Sorry Capt. This one rests squarely in the lap of Walker. He backs the NRA because they endorse him, and he signed the bill, without any hesitation and, with little or no regard of the out come. Can't be disputed.

16-Oct-16
Actually...it rests squarely on the backs of the hunters who no longer respect the game, the bowhunting tradition, the bowhunting organizations, and who actually purchase and use the crossbows. Hunters are responsible for their own actions, not Walker or the NRA. We should have the freedom to choose, something is wrong with our choices. The Fred Bear and Pope and Young fraternity is shrinking, just the way it is. As a whole, we no longer respect the resource. As technology advances, seasons should be shortened or on a drawing, not extended.

16-Oct-16
Not really. For many years WI. with both Democratic and Republican Governors have resisted the pressure of the pro crossgun backers. That changed. And, hunters didn't change it. Hunters are responsible for their own actions. But, they're simply doing what the law allows them to do. In the end, it's the law makers that shoulder the credit or the blame.

16-Oct-16
Sounds like hunters then need the government to entitle them, they apparently no longer think for themselves.

16-Oct-16
There should be one buck deer tag. You can then kill that deer with a bow, crossbow, or a gun, your choice. Drawing determines buck, doe or nothing and that regulates the herd numbers. The personal challenge is over, the government will have to do it for us.

16-Oct-16
Nonsense Missouri, its always walker with the derangement crowd, all the while voting for the aholes that are going to try to take our 2nd amendment rights away, evil walker!!! Wonder how all the other states got the crossbow, that walker guy sure has some influence!!

16-Oct-16
Why.... because thats what is done in your state. I passed over ten bucks during the gun season last year. Shot a dandy buck during the archery season last year. Been out once this year and passed a small buck at ten yards. Just worry about your state....

16-Oct-16
Advanced technology will lead to opportunity restrictions in every state, it already has in some.... and should. I take it you are a closet crossbow hunter.

16-Oct-16
Stagetek, the Bill passed with almost complete bi-partisan support. It would have been foolish and political suicide for any Governor to veto a Bill like that with that amount of support. It needed to be fought long before it ever reached the Governor's desk, which is where Mary Czaja and the NRA were. Were you present and fighting to educate legislators at that time?

16-Oct-16
No C M I wasn't. Nor do I believe the legislators needed to be educated. The results of legalizing x-guns in other states has been well documented. Let me say something here. It's not about the conservatives vs. the libs. And I mean that. I could really care less. But, you are right. Walker had his mind made up that he was going to make a run at the White House in '16. He needed the support of the NRA. Fighting them and their supporters, and losing their support would indeed have been political suicide. That's politics. It happens everyday on both sides of the fence. Doing the right thing and common sense take a back seat to playing the political game and agenda's. That's why I believe we have x-guns in WI.

16-Oct-16
The biggest change I've seen is with the 30 to 40 crowd changing over to crossbow's . More so than us old fart's .

16-Oct-16
Stagetek, I am willing to bet that less than 5% of those legislators are archery hunters. In this case, you are correct that it had nothing to do with party affiliation. Because most of those legislators were not bow hunters, they definitely needed to be educated. Problem was, it was the NRA doing the educating. Of course their monetary donations got the ear of each and every legislator. Yes, fighting them may have lost Walker their support but there was so little opposition to this that anyone would have known it was not a fight to get involved in. Who should have known it was a fight to engage in should have been the bow hunters but eerily, most bow hunters who did engage were those who were in favor of it. Complaining and placing blame after the fact rings hollow when a person was never engaged in the fight. Again, had Walker vetoed it, it would have been easily over ridden.

16-Oct-16
Swampy I agree. The people Ive seen have been in 30s and 40s. I have friends that only gun hunt and only interested in "archery" because they can use an xgun. They have no problem admitting the reasin is because they dont have to do as much work, planning or practice.

Thursday even I saw a xgunner parkes by me. No waving or acknowledgment. Bow hunters have always been chatty.

16-Oct-16
Bowhunters use to be a group that simply loved the outdoors and did it because it extended their time in nature. Not the case anymore. Now its just about the "kill", especially the "big one". How many guys nowadays are carrying cell phones with them so they have something to play with in the stand and keep them occupied until the "big one" shows up? People are bored with nature. This mentality is also why people rely so much on artificial feed. Speeds up the process to get to the "kill". It eliminates the need for all that boring stand time. Doesnt matter anymore. It is what it is. Time to move on......

16-Oct-16
Neverbait your description of hunting methods is disturbing and unfortunately spot on .

16-Oct-16
Neverbait- Ive seen plenty of xguns on public land.

I really dont get why you hate land owners so much.

16-Oct-16
Now that We know just how many people are willing we need to know the details . Who exactly is the cross gunnner and where is he hunting . What is the cross gunner trying to accomplish ? What is his goal ? We didnt need to worry about this with the compound how . The dedicated pulley popper users for the most part. policed themselfs . I dought the cross gunners will. ull inclusion for the entire season left unchecked or challanged is like having a nuclear bomb .

16-Oct-16
The deer herd in northern wi isn't coming back. Some areas are in the 5th year of limited/no doe tags and the population is still in decline. WON mentions how wolves are now preying on the bear population in northern counties. I believe it's because the deer population is near zero in some areas

16-Oct-16
Never bait, it sounds more like you are jealous of landowners.

16-Oct-16
Jealousy is an ugly thing. Master bait is jealous but had he saved some money instead of spending it all on beer he may have been able to buy a little piece for himself. Now it is too late to save so he depends even more on beer. Enough beer gives him an excuse for talking dumb. Then he says something even dumber and he needs even more beer. A terrible, downward spiral.

16-Oct-16
The love fest with crossbows has nothing to do with anything other than hunters no longer want to put forth the effort. It is all about getting the big rack the easiest way possible..... and being done. Bowhunting is on a very serious decline in this country. Still there for those who care to challenge themselves, the elite few.

16-Oct-16
Holy Crap! Exactly what the anti-hunters want. Infighting among hunters. As far as no one wanting or willing to fight against the current crossbow season, I cry a very loud BS!

There were numerous resolutions that were passed last spring at the Conservation Congress Hearings and many were invited to the meetings that followed. After those meetings were were informed that there was not enough information and evidence collected to date to change the concurrent season. Even though the buck harvest numbers prove that the crossbow hunters where harvesting more bucks than archers and gun hunters.

you can do one of two things. You can sit on the sidelines and cry, piss an moan about what has happened. Or, you can stay on top of things voice your opinion and do your best to save the hunting heritage we have. No one can change the past, we can sit and point fingers and fight with each other or we can join forces and stand strong and fight.

I will continue to fight for what I believe in and stand strong with those organizations who support my point of view and believe in what I believe in.

Pick your fights wisely. “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

16-Oct-16
As technology advances we have less of an argument with anti's and the millions of voters who were sympathetic with bowhunting traditions, now we are just killing for the macho Bubba. Good luck Mike F in your battle to preserve.....well, whatever it is you are trying to preserve.

16-Oct-16
I guess I am one of the few bowhunter who doesn't care if someone is using a xbow. I know a few guys who made the switch because it is easier for them to get a deer, but those guys are not hunting for the rack they just rely on the deer they harvest to feed their families and I have no problem with that. I enjoy the process of using a compound bow and don't plan on switching anytime soon. If someone wants to go out hunting with me I couldn't care less if they decided to use a xbow, I just enjoy the time in the woods with friends and family.

17-Oct-16
Elk Elsewhere - My math is good. 9501 total archery kills this year of which 7072 are crossbow. 7072 is 74.4% of 9501.

17-Oct-16
Missouribreaks -

What we are trying to preserve and protect is the quality of the hunt and the season that we have.

When the current crossbow season became law hunters were "promised" by the lawmakers that the crossbows hunters would not have a significant "impact" on the then current archery and gun season. As you see the harvest numbers from the past seasons have proven this and those who have the ability the crossbow season are turning a blind eye the those numbers.

As far as the crossbow hunters using their tool to "put meat in the freezer" that claim doesn't hold water with the reported buck harvest numbers either. There are probably a few people using crossbows to fill their freezer, bu the majority of the crossbow users are shooting bucks. The numbers don't lie.....

17-Oct-16
"Holy Crap! Exactly what the anti-hunters want. Infighting among hunters. As far as no one wanting or willing to fight against the current crossbow season, I cry a very loud BS!" Mike F, if this comment is in reply to my statement, I think you are off the mark. I am referring to the point in time when this legislation was being hashed out, not in the last year or two. It is sad that so many are reactive instead of proactive. With more opposition on the front end, we might not be having a crossbow season now.

17-Oct-16
9500+7000=16500 7000/16500=.4242 (42.4%)

17-Oct-16
The crossbow season will not be adjusted. The adjustments will happen across the board to compensate for the crossbow season.

17-Oct-16
Captain Mike, I like and appreciate your wisdom and insight that you add to this blog. You are indeed a mentor and a credit to the bow hunting fraternity. Thanks for sharing your woodsman savy with guys like me, that keep on learning all the time about the greatest animal on earth, the mature whitetail buck. Keep up the sharing!

17-Oct-16

BigPapaPump's Link
Time has come for Wisconsin to become a one buck state

17-Oct-16
With all the special seasons and advanced technology (such as in crossbows and inlines), the answer is yes the time has come for a one buck limit, choose your weapon. Hunters must rid themselves of the macho Bubba image so many voters and landowners have of us, some restraint would help..

17-Oct-16
The quest for antlers will always bring abuse. Some will be caught and prosecuted, most will adhere to the law, others will be serial cheaters and poachers. We have all of that today, in every state. Oh, and those newer crossbows, they fit silently and perfectly out the truck window.

17-Oct-16
The call for one buck is simply unfounded. The deer herd in much of the state is in great condition and for areas where it is not, we now have the CDAC's in place to address that concern. And, limiting the number of bucks killed is inconsequential to the health of the herd, as compared to the doe harvest. The article Big Poppa cites is based on a false premise if arguing for the health of a herd. If trophy potential is the target then it does have merit. In fish populations, it is generally the females that grow the largest, and so are the main target of the trophy fisherman. Not so with whitetails. Masterbait, thanks for an opinion with no fact for a basis. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion but giving one that you could substantiate would make it more impressive. Come to think of it, you have not done that with anything you have posted to date...

17-Oct-16
Walker, Walker, Walker, blah blah blah. Just because legislation was passed allowing xbows doesn't mean you have to participate. Crossbows are optional! Taking the "easy" way out, or a predetermined disposition emphasizing a kill at any cost, rather than a true love of the hunt, is rooted in the individual. Walker didn't change people or what makes them tick; they come by that honestly themselves. Kind of like in Montana with no speed limit...you could go 1000 mph if you want to but most people choose to take a more moderate approach and keep it around 80.

17-Oct-16
CaptMike- Not aimed at you as I recall you were on board against the total inclusion of crossbows when this all started years back. We have some new faces here and it's amazing how some non-residents who have absolutely no influence on the laws that we live with gripe and complain. They will not be in Madison or calling our elected officials or at the Spring Hearings to help get things changed.

Mr. Brust took a strong stance in showing that the harvest numbers don't lie. But in the end the CC took a stance that the harvest numbers are inconclusive as they don't have enough proof to change the crossbow season.

And for the record - 0% of all deer registered correctly were harvested in the Archery Season. Some forget that the Crossbow and Archery Seasons are concurrent.(Along with others). 100% of all deer registered correctly during the Crossbow Season were harvested with a crossbow.

The harvest numbers don't lie, crossbows are a superior tool in killing deer.....

17-Oct-16
Crossbow season will never be adjusted . To much money in it . If anything archery season will be shortened to allow for the over kill . Just like the recurve , the compound will go the same route now that crossbow's are here . I will never understand how a weapon with a stock can be called a bow . I guess will just be part of history . SAD

17-Oct-16
Mike F, we will be at our own hearings hoping that Wisconsin residents can continue to come and enjoy elk, antelope and deer hunting in Montana. You seem to be somewhat of an isolationist blow hard, there is a larger picture. You are correct Swampy.

17-Oct-16
Missouribreaks-

Isolationist blowhard- Far from it! That's a new one to me!

You can go to all the hearings in the world and voice your opinions all across the state and asked to testify against crossbows in other states and in the end it comes down to who has the most money to grease the pockets of those writing and passing the laws. It will come down to who can provide the most bang for the buck at the state level. They don't care about saving seasons, they care about having more money in their coffers to spend on government programs. The sad thing about the money brought in to the state coffers from license sales is that very little is spent on where it comes from. I hope this isn't the case for you in Montana.

I wish you well my friend because what happened in Ohio, Wisconsin and yet to be determined in Minnesota affects all of us who hunt deer.

The only thing different is we were able to classify the crossbow as a separate season and when it was signed into law it was written so that if the crossbow season had a big impact on the other seasons it would be cut back first.

And the efforts of those involved in trying to get the crossbow season cut back fell on deaf ears this spring. That doesn't mean we are done, it means we have to stay on top of things and keep this on the radar.

Swampy - I hope you are wrong. The way I see it is the WBH is still a voice for the bowhunter. The Wisconsin Crossbow Association no longer to be found, so there is still a glimmer of hope. All we can do is try and protect what we have and hope for the best.

17-Oct-16
Saying the truth hardly makes one an "isolationist blowhard." Of course, as a non-resident, most people would not expect you to go to another state and take up the fight for the people of that state.

17-Oct-16
There are many hunters who hunt multiple states, have land in multiple states, pay taxes in multiple states, but can only vote in one state. It would be in all hunters best interest to at least voice their opinion on issues in states in which they own land, pay taxes, and/or hunt. To discredit a hunters opinion when he hunts in that state, pays property taxes in that state, but lives elsewhere is what an isolationist blow hard is. Who do you think creates the quality hunting experience in Montana, of which many nonresidents, including Wisconsin hunters, enjoy? Think big picture guys, if you are capable.

17-Oct-16
Sorry you feel that way. Many entities make up the list you are talking about. Including non-residents. But unfortunately non-residents do not get a vote a lot of times when it comes to hunting laws across the US. Non-residents have a louder voice in regards to how laws are passed in Ontario than here in Wisconsin, or Minnesota. I do not know anything about how your hunting laws are written in Montana and can only hope your elected officials listen to you better than they listen to us here in Wisconsin. I hope that outside entities with tons of money are kept out of the political process, unlike here in Wisconsin. I see the big picture, all too well, and if big money is allowed to enter into the situation, the little guy looses.

Are there proposed changes on the horizon in Montana, in regards to crossbows?

17-Oct-16
Montana has many issues. Crossbows are not yet legal, but being discussed at all levels. They are now legal in Colorado. Banning trapping on public land is up for voting in a couple of weeks.

I wish all of you guys well and didn't mean to be so critical.

My concern with crossbows being accepted as "bowhunting" is not the kill itself, but the almost total loss of bowhunting values. There was a time when landowners and other hunters respected bowhunters. Their impact on the resource was little. They chose to hunt the hard way, was easy to obtain permission to hunt and gain acceptance. Technology has changed it all now, began with the advent and acceptance of the compound bow and the increasing number of bowhunters. In some ways, more hunters are good, in others not so good. Commercialization on a small scale is one thing, obsession with getting something to brag about no matter what the cost, is yet another.

There was a time when voters were more sympathetic to the bowhunter, today we have lost that. Believe me, the voters will eventually decide our fate and we are headed in a bad direction. I expect shorter seasons, more drawings, less opportunity, and eventually more restrictions on public land hunting. You can say it isn't so, but if you look, it is already happening in the US.

It appears the "walking bear" was arrowed in New Jersey, that will really excite the voters.

Oh well, glad I am old enough that my family has enjoyed bowhunting since 1940. The future will not be my concern much longer. Glad I saw the era of real bowhunting, sad I also witnessed the end. Good hunting to all, wherever you live.

17-Oct-16
I don't mean to intervene too much In this thread but the excuse to use a crossbow because "it's easier and they rely on venison to feed their families" is a crock of shit! How much beef could they have bought for the price of that crossbow? I the cost per lb if venison is typically much higher than that of beef or pork. They're using an X-bow because it's easier period. Not to feed their family. If that is the case they need to work more hours instead of hunt!!!

17-Oct-16
Crusader dad x1.

17-Oct-16
Crusader +2

17-Oct-16
$750/$3 a pound = 250# or one elk.

17-Oct-16
I notice that no one is complaining about little Bobbie or Susie shooting their 5th or 6th deer by the age of 12 all in the name of making it easier for them. Did you catch that part, "easier for them"? 8,000 deer in two days. How many of those same kids that need the youth hunt are or will be crossbow hunters? I guarantee that out those 7,000 deer killed by crossbows, little Bobbie and Susie have killed a good percentage. There are a good number of them that are now in their twenties, did they switch to the challenge of today's hard to shoot compounds, lol, or did they take the easy route with the crossbow?

17-Oct-16
Sharpspur , The Ltl Bobs and Susies of this year youth hunt will be 25 years old somewhere around 2026 to 2031 . They will have each killed 20 to 25 deer by then LOL and will have lost interest and moved on to something better . Also , can you imagine what the deer hunt will look like by then ?

17-Oct-16
I stand by my comment, I know multiple people who would rather eat venison than any other protein. Using a crossbow is an easy way for them to put food on the table and still enjoy the hunt. May not be for everyone but that's why it is your choice to use what ever method you prefer. Tired of hearing people cry about it, hunt the way you want follow the regs and enjoy your life.

17-Oct-16
Thanks Tweed for showing PB that he's not a mathematician

17-Oct-16
If the State government or DNR declared tomorrow that you could use air powered arrow launchers during bow season, you would see 10,000 crossbows for sale on Craig's list the following day.

This is who we are these days. We glorify only the kill and have almost completely forgotten what made/makes hunting pure and simple and honorable.

17-Oct-16
"Jumping and dancing around like a bunch of idiots when they shoot one."

That will be me if I ever kill a truly big buck! I make no excuses and offer no apologies. I might even do a "Stan Potts" and be shaking so bad I'll need a minute to gather myself. And ohh yeah, I'm definitely going to call my brother in law and the first words out of my mouth will probably be something like..."dude, bro, I just smoked a monster!!" I don't have that reaction for every deer I shoot but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't hoot and holler over a big one. I'm not an elitist and although I think the crossbow season should be shorter than the real bow season, I don't really care too much what you choose to kill your deer with.

If it's legal, I'd even like to try a spear or atl atl to kil one sometime while I'm still physically able and I for one like to see the true emotion/elation when someone finally gets the deer they are looking for. hunting is a huge rush of endorphins and adrenalin when it all comes together and people celebrate in different ways much like my football team scoring a last second winning touchdown. Am I also an idiot when I cheer out loud for that?

17-Oct-16
Missouri.... Never will I hunt with a cross gun !!! NEVER. You one buckers want one buck....just shoot one. Quit worrying about your neighbor.

17-Oct-16
It's an animal. God gave us dominion over all creatures great and small. How much respect are you supposed to give the animal. Thank God for allowing you and that animal to cross paths but other than that what are you supposed to do? Should we solemnly go about tagging,gutting, and dragging the deer out of the woods because it just died so I can enjoy eating its back straps and looking at its head on my wall? I admit I do feel a little bit of hunters remorse but I also feel the elation of a succeed full kill. I'm not going to cry over the deer I just killed. I'm going to call my buddies, crack a beer(or six) and start the grill! Enjoy the rush, celebrate however you like. In the end, we are killers, call it what you will but it comes down to us getting a rush from killing our food. No amount of respect will change the fact that you killed that animal. When I stop getting that rush, I vow to stop hunting.

I also vow to never ever use a crossbow to help me feel that rush. If you choose to do that then that is your choice but don't call yourself a bow hunter. Call yourself an x-bower. In the end you will garner more respect by not trying to justify your methods to those who prefer your methods be extinguished.

17-Oct-16
Just for the record, jackwagons and dancing showed up with the compound crowd long before the crossbow.

17-Oct-16
Neverbait -

Sorry, but I don't have cable. 12 over the air channels. Farmers and loggers have been feeding the deer a lot longer than food plotters.

So am I the bad guy for overseeding a soybean field that has been harvested with winter rye so I can stop erosion and provide green manure in the srping when I plant corn?

Besides, those deer son't know the difference between a food plot or a field. We were shooting deer off of rye and wheat fields long before the food plot craze, antler porn and deer hunting became a business.

Willert88 - There are plenty of people who would rather eat venison than any store bought meat. I am one of those, but I will not use a crossbow. My tools of choice are compound bow, recurve bow, muzzle loader, rifle and pistol. If they choose a crossbow as theor tool of choice they are crossbow hunters, not archery hunters. It has been proven that they are easier to use and more lethal. Those were big selling points that were made to the lawmakers.

We were also told that it would bring younger hunters into the sport. That didn't happen. The truth is that after crossbows became legal to all ages we lost tens of thousands if hunters.

17-Oct-16
Neverbait, whatever stage I'm in at any point in my hunting career I sure hope I never lose that rush. If I do lose that rush I'll find a different challenge. You are right about me being on the younger side. If I shot even a small deer with a recurve, long bow, spear or any other primitive weapon I would definitely hoot and holler. No matter my age. You are never too old/young to vocalize your excitement. True emotion shouldnt be stifled by the fact that someone else might think you are a "jack wagon" because of how jacked up you are that you just smoked a monster and want to tell all your buddies you have a bbd baby!:-) Sarcastic-- maybe a little True- yes.

How would Being at a packer game feel if no one cheered when they were excited? Are all them folks cheering jack wagons too? I know I'm part of the reason this thread got derailed so this will be my last post about being a cheery killer. You guys can now get back to the original topic of you so choose.

17-Oct-16
Crusader, spot on!!

17-Oct-16
Not skirting anything - My stance on crossguns has been rock solid since the issue came up. Long before total inclusion was ever mentioned. Last century for a matter of fact.

As far as food plots vs agricultural practices. All I am saying is that we have been doing it way before the "food plot craze" was ever developed. Is it legal? Yes. Is it different than baiting, definitely. Here's why. Food plots and fields provide food 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year for herds of deer. Baiting on the other hand where legal provide minimal amount of food from the beginning of hunting season until the hunter is finished hunting. After the 2 gallons stop getting replenished the food source is gone. Not to be replaced until the next deer season. Deer have the ability to come and go as they please throughout the year when crops are planted.

I didn't say there was any difference. We have been doing the same thing that food plotters have been doing since the 1970's only that we do it with bigger equipment, more seed and on a larger scale. Nothing new to me because it's a normal agricultural practice.

Does it make killing deer easier? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't hunting an oak ridge when there is a heavy acorn crop make killing deer easier? Maybe, maybe not. The way you hunt deer and the way I hunt deer may differ, but we are both hunting a food source. So is the baiter who does it legally....

Hunting a trail between feeding areas and bedding areas? Just because there isn't a corn field within 40 yards of your stand doesn't mean you aren't hunting a food source. What about a water source?

Why can't I have it both ways? Just because "You" say so?

Nothing written in the law books say that I can't hunt a deer that travels between my neighbors standing corn and my other neighbors swamp which is a bedding area and I can only hunt a small transition area? So am I hunting a food plot or a bedding area, or maybe both???

We can agree to disagree on food plots, but when the neighbor who combines every kernel of corn off his field and the deer are happy and healthy on my fields, I feel a lot better knowing that the herd will be in good shape next spring. If you choose to hunt barren ground in hopes of harvesting a deer that' your choice. I don't condemn the way you hunt, why should you condemn the legal way I hunt??

I am done with this thread, don't try and "bait" me into another post.

18-Oct-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Summary of numbers from so far this year and totals from last year. Looks to me like Xbow should be moved into the ML season. Both are (not so) primitive weapons in todays world. Also make the Gun, ML, and Xbow licenses separate licenses and restrict it so that you can only buy one of the three. But leave handicap xbow and over a certain age xbow in the bow season like it used to be.

Bow.. Xbow.. Youth

9500.. 7000.. 8000+ From above thru Oct 10

11,813.. 9108.. 8780 From dnr web site thru Oct 18

Compare that to last years totals for the year

Bow 53,004

XBow 34,094

Gun 9 day 205,125

Gun ML 5,478

Gun Dec Doe 4,917

ML 5,478

Youth 6,650

The link is last years deer hunting summary.

Darn, I forgot how hard it is to make a table look readable on here.

18-Oct-16
Like it or not, bowhunting, and everything associated with it, is very rapidly becoming minimal in this country. Nobody to blame but the individuals who have given up bowhunting for the crossbow and gun. Totally a personal decision, and always has been.

18-Oct-16
Going back to 2014 26891 xbow 54810 bow 222588 gun

Going back to 2013 (no xbow season) 87628 Bow 255033 Gun

18-Oct-16
Thanks for the numbers Jeff! I did some searching but couldn't find the number for licenses issued. Would you know where to find those? It would be interesting to say the rate that the tags are filled and the ratio to xbow to archery.

18-Oct-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Tweed, this might have the license sales numbers you are looking for.

18-Oct-16
When I started hunting with a compound bow it brought a whole new appreciation for hunting as I was a gun hunter my whole life but an injured shoulder prevents me from using a compound anymore. I now use a crossbow and I don't feel bad about it at all. Still love bow hunting just as much. As far as food plots they provide deer some great nutritional value year round. Last I checked corn provides deer nothing as far as nutrition. Where I hunt there is no agriculture so food plots provide alot. It helps grow what's left of the deer herd after I only take 1 buck

18-Oct-16
Personally I don't think it's the end of the world that some people choose to hunt deer with a crossbow, just like it wasn't when compounds came on the scene. I imagine most of you guys that are complaining the loudest hunt with a longbow since using a compound is way "easier" than a longbow, and easier is bad correct? Along those same lines, what is so difficult in using a compound that makes it so much more difficult than using a crossbow? Compounds really aren't that hard to master, much like a crossbow.

• Sitka Gear