Buckwacka 17-Oct-16
MF 17-Oct-16
Buckwacka 17-Oct-16
WausauDug 18-Oct-16
RutnStrut 18-Oct-16
Wallydog 18-Oct-16
skookumjt 18-Oct-16
14-Oct-16
For you guys that hunt the northern half of the state. Most of you have now had cameras out or spent time scouting your area. Hows it look? Any glimmers of improvement or does it look like another tough season? How about nice bucks? Anyone got a buck located causing them to lose sleep? My areas still appear way down.

15-Oct-16
There are a lot more deer in Rusk County than last year. Not as many as the late 2000's but plenty for anyone that puts a little effort into it.

15-Oct-16
In order for a county to have a lot more deer than last year you must have had a great fawn crop this year, that's good. Bayfield County (Northern Part) had a good fawn crop also, hope they survive.

15-Oct-16
Although I don't really consider it "up nort". The areas of Chippewa and Rusk counties that I know seem to have an increase in deer numbers.

16-Oct-16
Oneida Co appears to be down. I have 10 camears out now and had up to 27 out during bear season. It is difficult to get firm numbers with baiting no longer allowed but at this moment I have a total of 3 bucks (2-mature, 1-1.5yr) and 5 does, 4 fawns using 10 cameras. Only consistent deer I see wonder the neighborhood. I quit rifle hunting 10yrs ago and it may be time to hang up sting hunting as well. I enjoy the chase but it is 20x easier to feed the squirrels and hunt from the cabin porch than scout, chase, and outwit the wolves in the big woods.

16-Oct-16
Go Jakes, maybe it's time to head south? I used to love heading north to hunt, because there was just more deer to hunt. The new north, is the south. I feel blessed to have witnessed both populations doing well. Once we had very few, it grew, and then the CWD scare decimated the population, and when landowners got smart and acted like better managers than the DNR did, it is/has rebounded. The same could be said about the north woods. I remember great populations, and now my 80 sits vacant in Sawyer county. I'll blame predation on that one....head south!

16-Oct-16
Just spent three days scouting Vilas county. I've been hunting there since 1952 and don't think I've ever seen it this bad.

17-Oct-16
Adaptation is the key. It's like those who go elk hunting 15x and punch one tag. I can go on a glorified camping trip by my house if that's what I'm after. I've got a cabin, and know some of the most beautiful land in Wisconsin, that sits dormant in Bayfield county. I haven't hunted up there since 2012, and actively since 2011. I find new public areas with deer and go hunting.

17-Oct-16
Elk addict your spot on!!

17-Oct-16
Was seeing more does with fawns earlier this year, but in the last month or so only one doe with fawn for three cameras. Weird..

Bucks showing up more and more, including a couple nicer ones not seen before. Makes ya wonder if their transients or were always there but just really good at flying under the radar??

17-Oct-16
Adaption is right elk--that's why I quit hunting wisconsin's north country and now spend all my time hunting Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, southern michigan, and Manitoba for white tails. Northern Wisconsin has been pathetic for a long time.

17-Oct-16
The deer herd in my area of Bayfield Co. has improved slightly. As reported by many, the herd in this area of the state has been absolutely devastated of recent.

I've had three cameras out since May and there are a few more deer and age structure of the bucks on camera gives me a glimmer of hope. What's missing from the equation though, is the absence of much wolf sign. This pack historically been one of the most aggressive packs with a number of hunting dogs falling prey to them. Currently, they do not seem to be in the area. My fingers are crossed. If they return, then it will be back to to 2014 and earlier levels with virtually no deer. Perhaps they left the area because there were no deer left. How's that for bar-stool biology?

17-Oct-16
MuskyBuck don't know what part of Bayfield County your from but glad you have some deer in your area. As for wolves absence I highly doubt it, unless the locals are taking care of them they don't just disappear. There was 1 dog injured and 14 killed by wolves this year throughout Bayfield County. Like I said in my earlier post the fawn crop was good but unless someone opened the barn door or trucked more deer in from a different state there really isn't much difference from last year. Hopefully those fawns survive this coming Winter.

17-Oct-16
MF-The pack I'm referring to is the Flag River Pack. More than once they were in the area I was hunting and sent chills down my spine! I ran into a bear outfitter out of Iron River in September who was checking his baits in the area and he said that his crew took a couple wolves out of the pack during the last wolf season. With this area almost 100% public land, and wonder if the locals taking things into their own hands happens much. I don't condone it, but SOMETHING needs to be done.

17-Oct-16
Musky, Mike knows that area as do I. Too many wolves for sure. I will be doing some Coyote hunting this winter up there.

17-Oct-16
Port Wing area... Used to be awesome hunting around there as in many other areas of the North Woods, if you didn't have a compass and ventured the Flag you were asking for trouble.

17-Oct-16
Elkaddict-Shoot away! I know you've done well in your new area, but have you been back at all recently to check some of your old stomping grounds?

MF-Yes, for sure. Beautiful and wild area that would be even more wild if hunters used their atv's a little more considerately. Lots of logging going on, but that doesn't help a whole lot if there are too many wolves dragging down deer.

17-Oct-16
Elkaddict-Shoot away! I know you've done well in your new area, but have you been back at all recently to check some of your old stomping grounds?

MF-Yes, for sure. Beautiful and wild area that would be even more wild if hunters used their atv's a little more considerately. Lots of logging going on, but that doesn't help a whole lot if there are too many wolves dragging down deer.

17-Oct-16
Price county between Phillips and Fifield, I have a lot of deer on cameras, but I've spent lots of hours on stand since late Sept. and the youth hunt with my son, not a peep during the day. All pics on my cameras are between 9pm and 6am. That includes a nice 8 and a wide 10. I'm hopeful that by the first week of Nov. when I'm there from the 1st - 7th it gets better in stand.

17-Oct-16
I've hunted in the Flag river for 32 years and lived in PW for 44 years. No more deer than last year, many bears, and we still have wolves. And yes, they are being taken care of! People are tired of seeing no deer and too many "Large Coyotes"! Our forefathers got rid of them for a reason as they are a killing machines! The local deer herd is gonna fail miserably this winter, as there is no acorns this year at all.

17-Oct-16
Buckwacka.... minus the acorns there's plenty of food out there for the deer to browse on right now and during a hard winter. I am from Washburn and have hunted around Corni & Herbster about as long as you have. Its a shame what has happened up there, I hope some day it will get back to a decent population again. The big deer yards don't even exist anymore up there, very little if any. If its any consolation, Good Luck this year.

17-Oct-16
Thanks MF! I didn't even buy a gun license last year, still had an open bow tag. I'm getting into calling coyotes more and more each year and find fooling one of them into shotgun range is jut as exciting as double lunging a 10 pointer! Guess your right with the deer having enough food, there are many 'golden scrapes' that'll help them out! What really pisses me off is our county land being clear cut of all of the nice oak ridges. I do realize its good management, but, I wish they would leave small, 5 acre islands of virgin forest instead of a mature tree every 100 yards that usually blows over in a couple years. It would give more mast crop and help protect other trees from harsh winds and provide more places for animals and hunters to use. Just my $.02!

18-Oct-16
heading up to Bayfield next Wednesday for a week and cant wait! Mostly the trip is to work with my son how to navigate the big woods and show him some areas and landmarks we will be hunting during the gun season since we mostly still-hunt. The last two years the sign has gotten better and had high hopes for the same this year but I've heard of two instances of wolves attacking bears, not cubs at the bait site has me thinking they must be hungry?

18-Oct-16
"but I've heard of two instances of wolves attacking bears, not cubs at the bait site has me thinking they must be hungry?"

It could be that they are just very territorial and bold.

18-Oct-16
Went up just after the opener and put up two cameras. In 3 days we had: Big doe with 2 fawns and they looked healthy. 2 Bucks from last year both spikes. A few single does also. That is an improvement from the last 3 years glad to say. This 40 backs up to Cheqaumagon near Drummond in Bayfield. Locals say the herd is getting better and they seem to think its improving. Several shoot-able bucks seen near Cable by local guy. Im gonna go up one more time since I bought a 160.00. Next year I think ill buy 160 bucks worth of steak and stay in Illinois.

18-Oct-16
Buckwhacka-Like you said, it's good management. Those trees they leave are the seed source for re-establishing the stand and are of tremendous value to wildlife even if they do fall down. Leaving five acre mature stands (there are for all practical purposes NO virgin stands in WI) only accomplishes degrading those five acres because they aren't being managed correctly. Typically un-managed or poorly managed oak stands will convert to brush or hardwoods. Both of which are less valuable in terms of economic value as well as wildlife value.

• Sitka Gear