notme 28-Oct-16
notme 28-Oct-16
shawnm 28-Oct-16
wilbur 28-Oct-16
DeerDan 28-Oct-16
DeerDan 28-Oct-16
shawnm 28-Oct-16
15-Oct-16
Nope. In fact my buddy saw nine deer today all hanging out together. Two of which were nice 8pts. Ruts over lol

15-Oct-16
I've had 2 rubs - but in my areas I always see a lot more sign about a week later than most guys - so for me I am not worried yet that I'm not seeing much activity

15-Oct-16
I found 7 scrapes today and a couple new rubs.

15-Oct-16
Yup. Scrapes opened up big time this week. Rubs all over too. This is in south central CT. The boys are getting those hormones ramped up.

15-Oct-16
Found 2 new scrapes today, 20 yds in front of my stand, I set a cam up on the way out. Hopefully I get some picks of the maker.

15-Oct-16
Saw quite a few scrapes today.... and I swear I saw a doe with her back half down while a buck was over her this evening... not sure if that indicates she was resistant, or ready... seems early

16-Oct-16
9 Scrapes with in one hundred yards plus 12 rubs across the road from my house ,seen 4 does i know there is more.

16-Oct-16
I'm a Masshole among other choice names. Our deer season opens monday. Yesterday Sat. was opening day of the dreaded coyote season. I love to hunt these geniuses any chance i get. So out i go. My choice spot was logged 2yrs. ago. What a surprise when i walked into 15ft. high saplings and chest high prickers. Almost unhuntable except for a few openings. I did find a fresh rub on a 3in. tree. So I'm already there. Lets give it a try. Oh yeah a coyote ran across the rd. right in front of me a half mi. from where i was going to hunt. So I sets up and start calling with the fox pro. I don't have much hope cuz i can only see maybe 30yds. I'm getting bored quickly cuz i got a snowballs chance in hell of even getting a shot ifin one even shows up.

I turn the caller up way loud like 38 volume out of 40. Its freakin blasting. I catch movement to my right. SON OF A B IT'S AN 8PT BUCK. He comes right in to the screaming rabbit. I can't believe my eyes. He goes to within 10yds of the screaming rabbit call with the Blackjack decoy jumping all over the place. Guess i know what call to bring 2moro…...

16-Oct-16
Northern Fairfield, no rubs or scrapes yet. Only one buck on cam in early September, though plenty of does

16-Oct-16
I'm seeing some rubs and several scrapes here in MA

Will

16-Oct-16
three real nice rubs in Scotland CT

16-Oct-16
Had a fork with his nose on the ground this am chasing after a doe. Lucky them I am after a 8-9 pointer roaming the same area. Plenty fresh scrapes around in Prospect CT.

17-Oct-16
My CT spots and MA spots are exploding with rubs and scrapes. It went from nothing in the beginning of the week to sign everywhere. Excited to see they deer are back at it.

17-Oct-16
Not sure what to think.. I have a real nice small spot with trails everywhere. Fresh shit and matted down trails but no buck sign. Opening day two smaller bucks came in and I hit one but was never able to recover it. On the third day I just missed another small buck and then was able to get a doe.. I seen 9 deer within the first three days and its like there gone.. I'm still finding fresh shit but on my last five hunts not one deer.. I've got a total of less than 25 hrs in my spot so I don't think it's my scent and Im very scent cautious.. But what Im not sure about is why no rubs or scrapes.. No old ones or new ones.. And it seems the deer have vanished.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

17-Oct-16
I live in Groton ct and have a nice lil private patch here. I'm absolutely positive they are there to eat. I've never seen soo many oaks in my life. Right across from my patch is a small pond.. In my patch there's also a lot of thicket for them to bed. I'm still not sure what way there coming from. Its a really small patch about five acres surrounded by roads railroads and other small patches.. I'm really trying to figure out where there coming from but with no trail cams its hard.

17-Oct-16
Two things Shawn, it's the October lull. And if you have hunted that little tiny area that much in that one spot, killed a deer and lost a deer, I would say you have burned that spot out and the deer have patterned you.

I hunted a state area down your way this afternoon and found some fresh scrapes and saw three deer. No shots.

18-Oct-16
I'm with bloodtrail shawnm. I would Stay out of that area for a minimum of 2 weeks. Let the rain wash away some scent. Let it settle down a bit. then go back in during the rut. That property needs a break after you have wondered all over in search for the 2 deer.

18-Oct-16
Rubs in Bridgewater none in Newtown - no scrapes anywhere yet. I did a mock scrape with only a stick, no scents or fake rubs, and got a response immediately - I later added a scrape dripper and we will see what happens next - with video -

I have video of the response on my fake scrape I will upload shortly

18-Oct-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
Ok guys great advice. After the first week of hunting it did get a three week Break. Last night I did a quick scout of my area and the surrounding area and found three scrapes. Two of which was 10 yards left of my ground blind and the other about 20 yards straight out.. Not soo much rubbing the tree but instead the ends are bent and bit.. I swear I dont know if its the deer going into rut or its me!! Not sexually but just going crazy!!

18-Oct-16
Hey we don't judge here dude...what ever floats yer boat...lol

18-Oct-16
notme - I rubbed up against wifey and I was told to go hunting? Can you explain that?

18-Oct-16

Richm444's Link
here is my fake scrape and a six pointer

18-Oct-16

Richm444's Link
here is my fake scrape and a six pointer

18-Oct-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
O boy lol.. That's weird. This is what mine sent me today...lol

18-Oct-16
Richm444 if you don't mind me asking exactly what type of urine are you using.. I have some doe in estrus but its obviously to early for that.. I heard buck urine drives them mad

18-Oct-16
In this video I have no urine on the scrape.

With the new scrape dripper it says this

Combo includes: 1 Magnum Scrape-Dripper, 4 fluid ounces of Time Release Active-Scrape scent, 1 "Scrape Hunting" Book Drips daytime only, to get bucks to come during daytime hours

18-Oct-16
Make your own..its easy..just drink lots of your favorite beverage..you should be able to handle the rest...dont forget to smear some in the branches

18-Oct-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
Don't question it bbb..

19-Oct-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
This is what I found about 20 yards in front of my blind

19-Oct-16

19-Oct-16
Shawn, I've been pissing on my own man made scrapes, never had a problem with deer coming in. I'm hunting a small parcel in ffld cty and the rubs are a plenty as of the past 2 weeks.

20-Oct-16
I dont understand.. Your urine???? Won that scare the deer away . Confused??

20-Oct-16
Shawn, deer can't decipher human urine from any other urine. Make a scrape on a trail, pee in it and the deer will use it.

20-Oct-16
Started peeing scrapes I find where I hunt and they really do tear it up after I leave the next day there was also a new licking branch 5 feet away from the scrape.I shot a heavy 9 point within 3 days from first pee by me.

22-Oct-16
Just left my spot on state land and found a new rub that was made last night on a 6" hemlock. Things are changing and now that its getting cooler we should start seeing more daytime movement The past couple weeks have been warm at night and the full moon phase have allowed the deer to move and feed at night safely and bed down when they think danger is near. Be patient, the October lull is upon us and its getting ready to explode with the pretty rut in the next week and a half or so. The bucks are polishing up there antlers so they can whip their buddy's ass in quick head crashing fights. Now is the time to hunt THE OTHER SPOT while the good spot is warming up....

22-Oct-16

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Here is a mock scrape that I urinated in.

22-Oct-16

22-Oct-16

22-Oct-16
Ur a deer ?

22-Oct-16

Few more

22-Oct-16

23-Oct-16
O boy lol. I'm not sure what to do.. Swk says no go and most of u say yes and show these beautiful bucks in the rub.. I'm not exactly sure what to do. I pee inside a bottle when I hunt, so to tell me to pee in a scrape or rub I feel totally conflicted..

23-Oct-16
Never tried a drag line, but definitley in scrape drippers.

23-Oct-16
I walk in backwards as to not pee on my feet..

23-Oct-16
I walk in backwards as to not pee on my feet..

23-Oct-16

Richm444's Link
I have a doe checking out a fake scrape with no scent or scrape dripper at all. I only scratched away the leaves with a stick

23-Oct-16

Richm444's embedded Photo

Richm444's Link
I have alot of rubs on Bridgewater and nothing in Newtown. Both locations among hundreds of acres of prime habitat with very little hunting pressure. There should be tons of mature bucks but I am not seeing any.

Mt Bridgewater deer rub Beach trees and my Newtown deer rub Hemlocks

check out this flock of Toms too

23-Oct-16
Nice richm.. She was definitely interested in that rub. Have you seen her before in that area. Just asking because know bucks check there lines continuously but I was wondering do the doe do the same? Maybe she knows there's a buck there and when she gets into estrous that's where she will go?

23-Oct-16

Richm444's Link
another rub and two yotes in Newtown

23-Oct-16

Another buck over a mock scrape that I marked my territory in. Lol

23-Oct-16
Your guys are nuts im not believing it.. All these nice cam pics of these huge beautiful bucks and scrapes on trees I can't wrap my arms around but are any down. Any kills of deer with these trail cams?

23-Oct-16

rut's embedded Photo
P&Y bow kill. Mock scrape
rut's embedded Photo
P&Y bow kill. Mock scrape
This is one I got a trail camera picture of and ended up bow killing. Mock scrape. My own pee.

23-Oct-16

rut's embedded Photo
145 4/8 bow kill
rut's embedded Photo
145 4/8 bow kill
This is the buck from above.

24-Oct-16
Wow what a gorgeous buck.. Maybe I need to give it a try. I talked to a couple guys and they say absolutely no and then I show them these pics and they just shake there head..lol.. Nice big buck though

24-Oct-16

Another one from last night. Little guy though

24-Oct-16

Richm444's Link
Hi SWK and SHAWMN- in response to your comments-1. I have my camera about 3 feet off the ground but I may move it higher if I start getting squirrel pictures.

2. I have not patterned this doe and actually cannot specifically identify females like I do with bucks due to unique antlers. This location is by an annual rub scrape tree at a stone wall opening into a grove of oaks so there is alot of traffic for acorns.

I tool the camera away from the wall to minimize squirrel pictures. Also I rarely set a camera over food bait anymore - millions of doe and fawn pictures result. I stick with mineral blocks or scrapes for locations

Here is a video pointing at the wall opening a few years ago - same exact spot

24-Oct-16
awesome buck rut congrats

25-Oct-16
Urine is sterile, and breaks down quickly, it won't bother the deer. If you have to go! Freshen those scrapes up.

27-Oct-16
I have to admit I'm jealous as shit. I haven't seen one scrape or rub this year. Have about 3 of my own and nothing. Have a scrape kit out on one and made scrapes and rubs on the other two.. Bummed

28-Oct-16
shawnm last year I wasn't seeing many bucks at all and even less buck sign, just as you stated for this year. I then decided to do some still hunting/scouting and went to an area I never hunted and found scrap after scrap for several hundred yards! This was on a large tract of state land, so not sure if you're hunting limited acreage of private, but the point is - be flexible. Last year's honey hole may have run dry.

28-Oct-16
Shawn, now is the time to go scout state land if you need a new spot. Rubs and scrapes are popping up daily and will continue to do so for the next couple weeks. Bucks are going to start to cruise any day and sighting will go up tremendously. It's really easy to find a good area and hunt it right away now.

Just go scout, find a good area and use a climber the same day.

28-Oct-16
Don have a climber unfortunately. But I do have a ground blind. Still waiting for travistroop to show me some spots but yes your absolutely right I need to get out and scout new areas

28-Oct-16
Wait for no man get out there and scout ain't gonna work with your thumb up your ass!!!!...you got a little nippers and a saw ? bingo bango ground blind...

28-Oct-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

28-Oct-16

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
Found a bush under an oak..just gotta add more shooting windows
notme's embedded Photo
Found a bush under an oak..just gotta add more shooting windows
It don't take much imagination...built this Saturday had deer in front of me mon, tues.

28-Oct-16
Nice ya Ill b on the ground but its fine. I have no problem getting out to scout for myself problem is I've only been in ct for about 6 years and this is my first hunting in ct.. I have absolutely no idea where to go... Park.. I've heard of some areas around me like Franklin deep wma bow hunting only but I don't know which part of woods are hunting and not. I tried to figure it out using google map but I just don't know the area. It would be nice to have a hunting partner or mentor.. Someone to walk in the woods with. Someone to bullshit with about hunting. Ive only had my father and brother to hunt with and my fathers unfortunately is drunk who has absolutely no desire to hunt or talk hunting and I lost my brother last year. Its been hard losing not only my family members but hunting mentor/partner to.

28-Oct-16
Shawn,

Where in CT do you live? I may be able to help.

28-Oct-16

28-Oct-16
Hahaha that's not what I posted! Who the hell is it?

28-Oct-16
Groton

• Sitka Gear