DeerBuilder.com
Ever hear of a lesser weapon rule in CT?
Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
SILVERADO 17-Oct-16
bigbuckbob 17-Oct-16
Meat Hunter 17-Oct-16
SILVERADO 17-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 17-Oct-16
Ace 17-Oct-16
Bloodtrail 17-Oct-16
17-Oct-16
A friend was telling me of a lesser weapon rule in CT, the way I guess it would work is if u have a firearms tag, but are bow hunting during the gun season which overlap in zone 11, you could shoot the deer with the bow and use your firearms tag if you wanted to. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I can't find any info pertaining to this.

17-Oct-16
Silverado

we went through this same question in 2012 and the answer was no. So if that old thread is correct, there's you answer.

17-Oct-16
bbb is correct. I called the DEEP over the summer regarding this issue and the clear answer I got was no. i.e. You can't use a firearms tag to legally kill a deer with bow and arrow.

17-Oct-16
Ok thanks guys that clears that up.

17-Oct-16
The only time you can use a lesser weapon is during shotgun season here.....you can use a muzzle loader.

I do agree that CT should allow the use of bow during all seasons on state land as long as you wear the orange. Why we can't do this is still a mystery.

17-Oct-16
Since the bow season is still in effect during the firearm season; you can always use a bow and an archery tag, which as you well know, are not in short supply.

17-Oct-16
Only on private land or state areas designated as bow only.

• Sitka Gear