cblood 19-Oct-16
orionsbrother 19-Oct-16
Swampy 19-Oct-16
CaptMike 20-Oct-16
South Farm 20-Oct-16
cblood 20-Oct-16
Per48R 20-Oct-16
17-Oct-16
I work a lot and sometimes can only hunt here and there when I get a little time. Often I find myself having to decide between getting to my spot quickly or taking my time and being quiet, but sacrificing time in the stand. What do you think - get in fast and allow more time for things to die down, or try to sneak in but have less time and risk bumping something as deer are getting more active?

17-Oct-16
During the rut I think it is all about speed. With all the movement your better off getting into the stand right away and getting yourself set up for the shot.

17-Oct-16
Agree. I quit hunting end of September through October 2 two years ago. Early season sneak in. October 28 on get in fast get set.

17-Oct-16
When the bucks are out cruising I am all for getting there ASAP. Yes, I know you may bump a few on the way in, but if they are out traveling here and there, looking all around you may very well have a better chance of having one come by as opposed to having been able to sneak by one on the way in. It takes a lot to actually sneak by, unseen and unheard, a deer. Good luck to you.

17-Oct-16
I cannot endorse getting in fast. My thoughts about entering the woods with a deer's nose so damn good, is taking your time not to sweat. It allows you to move much more slowly avoiding noise, and also avoiding body odor. Yes, we stink even after using all precautions, but I still try to reduce my stink as much as possible. I will actually walk in in the very cool mornings in just jeans and a T-shirt then dress in my stand. I always dressing my stand, and always undress after getting down to keep body heat to a minimum. I see guys at deer camp dress in all their warm clothes with their winter boots and start their 1/2 mile trek into the woods, and when they get there, they're dripping with sweat. I have a large backpack that holds two layers, and I will wear hiking shoes and the bare minimum as long as there is no snow.

I would look at plan B as a stand closer to the road or where you park, and take your time getting there. Always 20 different opinions, but most opinions are based of logical thinking, and experience.

17-Oct-16
Except sweat is odorless.

17-Oct-16
Bull! Where in the world did you read, nevermind hear that?

Eccrine glands may not stink to high heaven, but certainly there is fat that comes out these same pores along with clear watery sweat, but apocrine glands certainly leak fluids (sweat) at the same time, and these glands excrete funk that a deer smells no matter what. Underarms, groin (pubic region), and your head to name a few places are certainly sources of the sweat I will swear to you, STINKS! Not to mention, a deer's olfactory is about 100 times better than ours. Add in the bacteria that loves sweat and it's food source and moisture, farting as it dines on your foot sweat, and I'll promise you'd rather walk slow than fast!

Now that isn't opinion. That's science. Deciding to dash in or walk slow to hunt is opinion.

17-Oct-16
Ummm...how out of shape are you fellas that you break a sweat from walking to your stand in >50 degree temps?

17-Oct-16
No, the sweat is essentially oderless. The bacteria that live in sweat create the stink. Just because you think it does not make it science. If you don't believe it, Google it.

17-Oct-16
Pete you are wrong! Skook is right. Best to walk in at normal speed and try and be as quiet as possible anytime of year you hunt.

17-Oct-16
Here's what I have to say. It is an opinion. Some times we are pressed for time due to family or work obligations. I run into those days too, and sometimes I'm only on stand for 45 minutes. Early season is usually the last half an hour kind of game anyways.

If it's a small property and you don't have a lot of run around room. Than it be safe to say be cautious on your approach and hunt smart.

17-Oct-16
I was wrong! I'll take a knee! ;-)

17-Oct-16
All this talk about sweat? So what? Sweat all you want. Go hunt in you work clothes! Smell of smoke. Number one objective is to not have the deer smell you. That's my thought anyways. We all have different thoughts on how we see or approach things. I gave into that crap. Bought scent elimimators and spent money on needless crap.

Some say if it gives you an extra second to make the shot than I'll do it. That's great, if you feel that gives you an edge over them.

I don't buy it. And I'm far happier knowing I can be confident no matter what foreign scent is on my clothes.

17-Oct-16
Okay, I am wrong. I apologize. I can admit that I'm wrong. Turns out I didn't research the topic deep enough. Both sweat glands do come out of your body odorless.

But, bacteria does attach to apocrine sweat quite quickly, and the gasses from these bacteria do however stink. I still don't want to sweat.

Tweed, not sure how old you are, but eventually age does catch up with you. I know I walk some pretty good distances, and I've sweat my entire life lol. My feet will ruin a pair of shoes in no time lol. Ask the guys I work with.

Again, I was wrong. My bad!

18-Oct-16
In his Whitetail Almanac Series of books, Dr. Ken Nordberg (some old timers here probably remember him) advocates for taking a direct non-stop approach to your stand. Don't worry about the noise you make, rather go directly to your stand without showing any kind of predatory behavior (don't stop, don't alter your gait from fast to slow, and don't look around). He claims regardless of how quiet you think you may be that if you are within 100 yards of a whitetail they already know you are there regardless...they are THAT in tune to their environment...so rather than try to be sneaky, simply try to be non-threatening, as if you are completely disinterested in the fact that there is a deer around. Nordberg states that most deer he's studied using this method will observe you pass from a safe distance and then resume normal behavior once you've passed.

18-Oct-16
South Farm, I love that answer (and will check out your reference). It does seem that deer are more relaxed when you don't appear to notice them for sure.

18-Oct-16
A few years ago around Thanksgiving weekend I took my daughter for walk in the woods (urban parkland) where I figured there would be some deer. We notice then and decide to see how close we could get to them. Instead of acting like ninjas we casual strolled over there until we were surrounded. Finally they figured we were too close by the time we were with in FEET (not yards) of them and they bolted. I think we were more frightened then they were that time.

I know this isn't the same as walking in your favorite hunting land but these are the same deer that are targeted by sharpshooters and a limited number of bowhunters.

18-Oct-16
I love me some Dr. Nordberg. Very informative books, if you can handle his flatline writing style

18-Oct-16
Once you understand he's a wildlife biologist that simply loves to hunt northern big woods whitetails, and not your typical run of the mill outdoor writer (aka entertainer) you can appreciate his style of writing. I'll be the first to admit he's heavy on the details, but I've learned more from reading, and re-reading, that series than I've ever learned anywhere else! If you ever get to see him speak somewhere....go!

18-Oct-16
"Ummm...how out of shape are you fellas that you break a sweat from walking to your stand in >50 degree temps?"

Some of us are walking in on public a mile or more one way over rough terrain with 30+ lbs of gear on our backs.

18-Oct-16
I typically use the quick in / quick out method. However, I do try to keep my pace slow enough and my clothes light enough to avoid getting too hot so that I don't sweat too badly and my eyeglasses to fog excessively. I usually try the most direct route without letting the wind blow my scent directly to where I think the deer are. Since I'm bound by property lines, I sometimes need to make short parallel legs to my stand to minimize wind scent impact. Mornings are more usually the more direct route. Afternoons if I'm not sitting all day from the morning, I usually walk more quietly and a less direct route depending on the wind.

18-Oct-16
I walk with a small grunt tube in my hand. When I hear a deer scampering away or hear one blowing at me I just start grunting on the tube. I will alter my foot steps at that point, stop, then start walking, until I am out of the area.

18-Oct-16
I don't use the grunt method as imo it does no good to grunt after you have spooked a deer. I have used a diaphragm turkey call and let out some soft yelps and purrs when walking in dry, crunchy leaves. Turkeys walking and feeding make a ton of racket. But I have seen bedded deer barely pay any attention to it.

19-Oct-16
Dr. Nor berg now resides in the Happy Hunting Grounds.

19-Oct-16
Southfarm, thanks for the informative response. One follow up question ... If the deer observe you pass does this mean they also observe you climb your tree?

19-Oct-16
As quickly as possible in lighter base layers.

If a logging road can be used to cover a good chunk of the distance, a mountain bike works great. Safety glasses are a must though. It's easy to catch the tip of a branch in the face. And after another Bowsiter rang his bell after taking a spill on his bike on an elk hunt, I need to wear a helmet.

19-Oct-16
Every year goes by I go in slower and slower .

20-Oct-16
Always at a moderate pace that allows me to attempt to be quiet while not getting overly sweated up. Their senses are far better than mine so the few I might slip past pale in comparison to the number I spook, whether with noise, scent or movement. The best way to beat those senses is to be in place in a properly selected stand and let the woods normalize as best as it will with me there.

20-Oct-16
"Southfarm, thanks for the informative response. One follow up question ... If the deer observe you pass does this mean they also observe you climb your tree?"

I suppose that's entirely possible depending upon where along your route the deer becomes aware of you...which is why the remainder of that book discusses a ground hunting method rather than the traditional tree-stand type hunt. It's way more in-depth and informative than I can go into other than to say it has transformed my style of hunting and destroyed some of the long-held myths and misconceptions I once believed. He really goes into the different responses deer have based on the threat level, but to summarize the less of a threat or predator style behavior you display the less the negative reaction by the deer. I'll look and see what series this is from and let you know so you can read it.

20-Oct-16
South Farm - that less of a threat makes perfect sense. Ive got to get my hands on the series. Sounds like its an awesome read. Thanks for the info.

20-Oct-16
Slow or fast, depends on the path. Is it easy for deer to see you coming then go slow. If not, go fast. EXCEPT if there may be deer on the way. Then keep an eye out for them. While your still on the ground you can read sign and move your position to sneak in on a deer. Also, if your heard or need to walk through loud leaves wake a few steps at a time on your toes. To sound like a deer. If you have a great stand location and a surefire way to get in undetected and not bump a deer on the way, then get up that stand asap.

• Sitka Gear