happygolucky 09-Sep-17
Screwball 09-Sep-17
Pete-pec 09-Sep-17
17-Oct-16
Don't do it guys! Don't even reply.

17-Oct-16
Screwball is right. Don't do it.

17-Oct-16
Sure.... Can I still shoot a doe? We have lots of them where I hunt.

17-Oct-16
Neverbait. , this is your. Cousin. Sitting over your corn pile what do u care Fire up my pile will nb up next weekend. Tell gramps Hi

17-Oct-16
To answer your question . One sounds fine . But I've never rifle hunted . So I guess that would be rude of me for the two season hunter .

17-Oct-16
YES, been saying it for 30 years

17-Oct-16
Why not just open a 4 point one side than? We could continue 2 buck tag years.

17-Oct-16
Yes 1 buck , and I would add choose your weapon . 1 weapon only .

17-Oct-16
I'm fine with noc's idea as well. Mark me down as a yes for both or either.

17-Oct-16
This is as scientific as trying to estimate how long the stink of a fart will linger in your truck as you drive down the road...LOL

Doesn't matter to me. I have shot hundreds of deer in my lifetime. I haven't harvested a buck since 2002. Not that I would pass on a monster. This has been proposed numerous times over the past couple of decades and the state would lose millions and millions of dollars because hunters would not buy the licenses.

Look at the uproar that took place last spring with the proposed antlerless only season in Waupaca county. Just imagine the number of big bucks that would be walking around if we went antlerless only for 1 year!

I would rather see a new hunter shoot a buck.

17-Oct-16
Mike F, that is not a fart, that is Masterbait. I know, tough to tell the difference...

18-Oct-16
I vote yes for removing neverbait from the bowsite forums.

18-Oct-16
X's 2 for Rut.

18-Oct-16
Fine with me, I have not shot a buck in Wisconsin in 4 years. Not that I couldn't have but chose not to shoot any that I saw. Have not shot a Wisconsin doe in a long time either.

18-Oct-16
Jeff, neither have I. Problem is some are trying to impose their standards on others when there is no biological basis for it.

18-Oct-16
Don't give nothing up you'll never get it back. I'm an all season hunter. Why should I have to stop hunting because I killed a buck with my bow in the early season. I can't shoot doe's here.

One and done. No thank you!

18-Oct-16
I think to simplify the regulations, tags should be allocated based on biological data to maintain a population suitable to the carrying capacity of the land where they live. Once tag(s) are awarded, tool of choice, (bow, crossbow, gun, muzzleloader) are valid for the specified season. Tag(s) can be used in any season until filled. Just seems easier regulation wise.

18-Oct-16
Yes, one buck tag, one season, weapon of choice, starting mid-September ending the first weekend in January.

18-Oct-16
Just kidding of course, no way, just plain crazy talk. There aren't available doe tags throughout the entire State, and many areas that have a limited antlerless availability have a good chance of never getting the opportunity to "just shoot an extra doe", even if you are lucky enough to buy a doe tag once they go on sale.

For one, those that say they never gun hunted or haven't bought a gun tag in a number of years won't be happy. The license price would have to go up considerably to cover the cost of unsold gun licenses, who would buy a gun license if they already have their buck tag filled and there are no antlerless tags available? It would have to turn into a "deer license", no separate archery or gun, the price would then have to be nearly $40 to cover lack of sales of either archery or gun licenses. I'm really not so sure on well that would fly.

What is the reasoning for this question? Is it that you are greedy and don't like when people actually have the chance to fill "both" of their licenses with antlered animals? Do you think it has a huge negative effect on the overall population? Or, are you trying to level the playing field to help overcome some of your deficiencies to be able to kill an antlered deer every year?

18-Oct-16
Bowhunting is in serious decline, no need for special bowhunting seasons anywhere in the US.

18-Oct-16
No, its by far from the dumbest post ever on this forum......but the one above is very close ^^^^^^

18-Oct-16
Lets see, we create all this opportunity with special seasons, new weapons etc... and now the answer is to reduce opportunity for everyone? Sounds about right.......

18-Oct-16
Drop tine said it the way I believe it to be.

I also want to say how neverbait is a complete moron. Another shit contribution on his end. People of bowsite would be glad to see you go. Let it be an opinion of yours. It's sad that you see things so differently and yet you call yourself a sportsman.

18-Oct-16
How many of you believe people actually take two bucks a year on public land every year? I don't think it's very common for a guy to repeat that kind of success year in and year out. It doesn't happen in any of the camps I've been in. I've taken two before. The possibility is there. But overall no way.

So why would we take away something like that? As drop tine pointed out. It would be gone forever if that happened. Some people enjoy the time out in the woods all season. I enjoy a good gun hunt just as much as archery. Most of the time I only fill one buck tag a year. Lucky to fill both. It's pretty depressing to see some stand for that kind of rule change. Why? Because of crossbow season? Because of the slaughter hunters had with cwd scare? The wolves? Wisconsin does fine and the deer herd thrives. To think that all the deer will be dead before rifle season is silly to say.

That would break up hunting camps for sure if they ever thought of something so silly. Wisconsin is a rich hunting state with a hunting heritage dating back generations. Take something like this away and watch our great sport diminish.

18-Oct-16
Look at how big the county is. Those numbers are not alarming. looking at all the others the numbers are not much different

18-Oct-16
No I haven't. Does that matter? The county is 1600 square miles. For decades my county was taking over 5000 bucks in a 9 day rifle season. The herd managed themselves just fine. The officials could do many other things than take away something like this.

18-Oct-16
Masterbait you idiot. Have you heard about CDAC's yet? Maybe you best stick to what you are good at and stick your head back where the sun don't shine.

18-Oct-16
And at one time my county was number 1.

You just listed the problem. Like I said before. A hunter slaughter. Too many doe's taken. What do you expect? A recovery to be made over a year? That will not happen. When you look at a 1600 sq mile area. Do the math. A few hundred deer taken and x number of deer with a crossbow is enough for you to consider a 1 buck tag law? That's ridiculous.

18-Oct-16
Calling people names like moron and idiot on an internet forum kinda makes one look like an internet tough guy, which most of us have come to expect from CaptMike but the rest of you shouldn't stoop to that level.

As for the survey I vote no to one buck tag mainly for selfish reasons as I enjoy having the option of harvesting one with the bow and one with the gun. Besides, there is no logical reason to take that option away.

18-Oct-16
Your telling me to think before I type? Really?

How did I answer my own post? Enlighten me will you?

I'd also like to ask your reasoning for a one buck tag of either choice of weapon?

I also would like to apologize for saying your a moron because I strongly think this is a terrible thread to bring up. To me your credibility is demolished in my eyes with all the bs you bring to this site, no offense. But I would like to hear what your reasoning is. Is this the only way you see bringing the deer herd back? That is your argument right?

18-Oct-16
I hate to tell you I told you so.... but! 2nd Post. getting just what the troll wants. Don't do it guys! Don't even reply.

18-Oct-16
Well since this thread has gone down the crapper....

I ran some hitech cyber forensics and it appears the Neverbait is either Rancid Crabtree or Bowtech. Both are showing to have close proximity IP addresses.

19-Oct-16
Zero biological basis for it. Just because the law allows you to kill two bucks does not mean you have to. And, if it is a big deal to you, get off the computer and attend the CDAC for your county. It might make a bit more of an impact than saying it here.

19-Oct-16
CaptMike.... home run!!!!!!

19-Oct-16
One buck rule mostly eliminates the need for APR's, "let em go, let them grow mentality" etc. Why does anyone have to serially kill deer, especially bucks, why?

19-Oct-16
Well, there are regions of the state that could afford separate management, and there is an attempt to try that. Sometimes these regions have rules that should not apply to the entire unit though. I'll say it again, private land owners may not own the deer, but they can certainly make good habitat for them, feed them year round, and take what they want, leaving plenty to replenish. Do these deer travel? Certainly, but they know a good thing when they have it. I would say the 960 I hunt would be that place. Hunted by one person, I can afford to shoot 2 bucks, and two does. I barely gun hunt any longer, but if I did, I could certainly take a second buck and not put a dent on the population that inhabits this land of plenty. Obviously there are places not far away, that are hunted harder, have less cover, and less food, making them less desirable for deer. I like the way the units were looked at. I felt I had a voice. I gave input on this unit I predominantly hunt, and the unit where I have land. Polar opposites by the way. Farmland, and northwoods. The buck only up there is a good idea. Maybe one buck would be an even better approach? The herd is decimated. Harsh winter, predation, hunters, poor land management, poor food source etc., has really hurt the place. I haven't hunted that 80 in 7 years. We dealt with a decimated population down here in this unit due to the CWD scare, and hunters going nutso! But, we have bounced back, and I'd like to think that private land holders were the reason, and this year, I have does and fawns at a level I have not seen in 20 years. I'd like to think even I had something to do with that. I have passed more does while having plenty of tags. Now I can afford to take a couple each year, but would not want to be limited to just one buck if that were a rule. Again, I do not hunt public land, and perhaps two sets of limitations like we had with the availabe antlerless tags here (public versus private).

19-Oct-16
I personally like how MI does it. You buy tags and they are good for any weapon. You get one buck tag which is good for any legal buck or you can buy a combo tag which allows you 2 bucks but one has to have at least 3 points on one side and the other has to have at least 4 points on one side. Antlerless tags are also any weapon.

Interesting thing in the UP is that xbows are not legal in the late season but archery equipment is.

19-Oct-16
Trying to determine. Who's. Stupidier. And more negative. On this site neverbait or therealdeal. Both a cancer of negativity. May the two cousins can sit down. And become positive.

19-Oct-16
Check out the youth hunt thread with TitBaby...... Wow that's someones alter ego spilling over with negativity!

19-Oct-16
I have no issue with our laws as they are now but I must say I'd have no problem with the MI method that Happy described.

20-Oct-16
Since I don't gun hunt, the selfish answer would be yes. On the other hand, I believe the governor is using "defunding" as a way to rebuild the DNR in his image. One buck would likely reduce funding and allow the Gov to use lack of funds as an excuse for even more "changes".

22-Oct-16
One buck with an ATR just like Winona and Houston Co MN. Of course for adults....kids shoot anything.

22-Nov-16
NO!

What's the reasoning for this question or wanting to move in this direction?

22-Nov-16
It's because some people are disappointed there's not a trophy buck behind every tree.

22-Nov-16
Some states have better hunting opportunities. There are states out there that allow you to shoot multiple bucks and some of them you can shoot multiple bucks with your bow. Why take away opportunity in Wisconsin without a good biological reason?

If you're unhappy with the fact that you can shoot two bucks in Wisconsin you're totally free to hunt Minnesota where you are limited to one buck. Oh yeah... and then you can also gun hunt during the peak of buck activity.

22-Nov-16
Nope, no, nadda, no way

I spend a lot of money on land taxes, food plots etc each year, I want a chance to harvest 2 bucks per year. (Which I've only done 3 times in 30+ years of hunting)

22-Nov-16
Until there is a biological concern for it, this is a foolish topic.

23-Nov-16
Neverbait,

We are not lumped in with "cross gunners". Our seasons share the same time frame but the tags are separate so the kill can be tracked separately. Hopefully if the cross gun kill gets too high they will shorten or restrict the cross gun season and not mess with the vertical bow season. Why would they mess with the vertical bow season when the vertical bow season is not creating the higher kills?

Regarding your comment about my opinion on food plots vs. baiting, my 60 acres is hardly enough to hunt for an entire season. I do what I can to improve it and I enjoy it but I can't really hunt seriously there. It doesn't take long to burn out 60 acres and the odds of killing the type of buck I like to hunt are really very slim there with all the neighbors around on their small parcels with the "if it's brown it's down" mentality.

If I want to hunt big bucks seriously, I go out of state or up north.

For me the whole baiting vs. food plots thing is about private property rights. Landowners have the right to improve their property by planting food plots. They also have the right to hunt over bait if it's legal. I admit that I don't think bait is a good thing but I also acknowledge the it's a landowner's right to bait if it's legal.

When it comes to baiting on public land, the baiter is establishing or attempting to establish a private claim to public resources, i.e. public land and public deer. I don't think that it's right and I have personally experienced the negative effects it creates.

Just sayin...

25-Nov-16
Deer on private land are also a public resource. Just because you own property doesnt mean you own the deer standing on it. Theres plenty of places in Wisconsin where private land owners are manipulating deer off of surrounding public land by baiting with food plots. Your telling me this isnt trying to "establish a private claim to a public resource?????" Its the same damn thing as baiting on public land. How is it any different? Boggles my mind.

25-Nov-16
Based on the law, there is a difference. Baiting on public land is limited to two gallons of bait. Enhancing a property is not. Don't like it, there is a process to try and get it changed. Good luck...

25-Nov-16
I just wish people would stop shooting my bucks. I put a lot of time and money into trying to grow them to my standards and the orange army neighbors come in and shoot my deer before they are trophies. I think gun season shouldn't start until later, after the rut is completely over.....(The trap is set)....(evil laugh)

25-Nov-16
The law has nothing to do with the fact that whether your standing on public ground or private ground and you dump corn or plant food plots, you are baiting deer and trying to establish private claim over a public resource. Deer are a public resource unless they are enclosed in a fence.

25-Nov-16
I would like a fenced in property.... No neighbors shooting yearling bucks!

28-Nov-16
Yes, the deer on private land are also a public resource but the land is private and the landowner has the right to improve the land to make it more desirable habitat. The landowner does not own the deer and they are free to come and go.

How is it different you ask... It's about private property rights vs. claiming public land and it's not the same damn thing. I don't know why that's so hard to understand.

You guys make it sound like it's a bad thing to improve your property. The difference with baiting is that it's being done on public land and people are staking a claim to that public land by establishing their baits there.

If landowners are manipulating deer off of private land by "baiting" them with food plots then figure out the movement patterns and hunt the deer as they move between the public and private land. It's no different than hunting public land that borders on private ag land. I used to hunt a large tract of public land with an adjacent ag field and I loved it when the farmer planted clover or corn in the field. The corn and/or clover really changed the movement patterns on the public land and made the deer much more predictable. I suppose though that there are some people who rely solely on bait and don't know how to figure out deer movement patterns and they might be lost in a situation like that... That's one of the advantages of not relying on bait, you learn to adapt to change.

28-Nov-16
It would be better to impose antler restrictions to protect yearling bucks to improve the age structure of the deer herd. Look at what Texas has done in counties with small properties imposing a 13" inside spread rule. It works. If WI did something similar you would see some phenomenal results.

28-Nov-16
CM, trying to make sense to those two is much the same as teaching a rock to walk. The rock is not walking and neither of them will ever comprehend common sense and the law as written.

28-Nov-16
"If landowners are manipulating deer off of private land by "baiting" them with food plots then figure out the movement patterns and hunt the deer as they move between the public and private land."

Yup. And if a guy is dumping corn on public land you can certainly do the same thing by patterning the deers movement and hunting them on the way to the corn pile. So whats the difference? Why does it upset you that the guy is "claiming" an area. A good hunter reads the situation and adjusts his tactics accordingly. Right? Seems interesting to me that you have a problem with a guy "claiming an area" on public land, but yet you think nothing of a private landowner "claiming a public resource." I take it you think Im a proponent of baiting on public land and Im not. Despise it. I also realize landowners are free to do as they want on their property. Im a landowner also. But make no mistake, food plots and bait piles are the same thing. Food plots are the politically correct form of baiting.

28-Nov-16
I just love all the out of state hunters with their great ideas........NOT

28-Nov-16
I buck per year. Per hunter. Then if. You need more meat. Harvest a Doe Real simple! Bait pile. Vs. food plot. Same thing. Food plot on public. Vs food plot on private. Just don't get it.

State should. Have. The following

Survey. Of harvest Check. If applicable Buck Doe Tower stand. Number of stories. Heated Non heated Crossbow Gun Muzzle loader Recure Car kill Food plot Number of plots. Camera in use Pen raised deer Eating when shoot

28-Nov-16
What about group bagging during the gun season?? Jtek... you want one buck just shoot one buck. Don't need you part time hunters telling landowners how to manage deer. I see lots of bucks and plenty of does.

28-Nov-16
And now one of the rocks seeks legal opinion from me? LOL!!

28-Nov-16
Stinkbait, the internet is a very good way for you to shoot your mouth off. In person it would earn you a slap in the face. Only a slap because I don't punch women or those who act like one.

28-Nov-16
NO , But it won't matter . It will 1 Buck per year very soon . You can thank Crossgun reps & the NRA .

28-Nov-16
I think neverbait should change his name to drama queen. Don't mind me though. Please, continue with your rants NB

28-Nov-16
Group hunting tagging. Is. The want a be sportsman. To be able to look in the mirror n say I'm legal. By the rules. About 95 percent. On this. Site. Will ruin it for themselves with greed. When it happens pat you self on the pack.!!! If it's about the meat. For multiple kills. Then heal a road kill ! Most of you whiners on here Probably piss. N moan. The moment u wake up. In the morning

28-Nov-16
"Stinkbait, the internet is a very good way for you to shoot your mouth off. In person it would earn you a slap in the face. Only a slap because I don't punch women or those who act like one."

Well, that's something to be proud of.

28-Nov-16
I would guess the "party" huntingbaccounts for way more deer getting shot than cross bows ever will.

29-Nov-16
Yes Masterbait, and you are the mosquito.

29-Nov-16

29-Nov-16
Wow, what’s with all the hate on this thread?

Retro,

The difference is when a landowner improves property whether it’s through planting food plots, providing thermal cover, improving the timber diversity, or a combination thereof, etc. the improvements encourage deer (as well as other animals) to visit that property and/or live on it. The landowner is not claiming the deer; he’s simply improving conditions to make it more attractive to deer, which is the goal of many landowners. It’s even better when multiple adjoining land owners make similar habitat improvements. The landowners are not claiming the deer; they are free to move to and from that property and possibly get shot by the neighbors who also benefit from the adjoining land improvements.

The typical baiter does nothing to improve habitat or make the habitat more desirable to deer or any other animals.

Look at it this way; if everybody simply dumped bait piles everywhere and nobody did anything to improve deer habitat, the long range benefit to the deer and other wildlife would be minimal. Whereas if everybody planted food plots and made habitat improvements it would be much better for all wildlife and you would most likely see increases in deer numbers and quality. Improving habitat can increase the carrying capacity of the land whereas the only thing bait does is provide a short term food source. When the bait is gone there is nothing for the deer. Food plots and other habitat improvements provide much more long term benefits to wildlife which contribute to an increase in wildlife.

Obviously, we are both entitled to our opinions. After seeing the effects of baiting over the last 20 plus years and playing around with food plots for the last 7 years or so it’s my opinion that food plots and bait piles are not the same thing for the reasons I stated as well as many more.

I’m not sure if you’re serious when you suggest that I/we hunt the deer on the way to someone else’s corn pile but if you’re looking for confrontation you’ve found the perfect recipe for it. My buddies and I have had numerous negative interactions and/or conflicts with people who are either baiting an area and confront us when they find out we are trying to hunt “their” area, and/or with baiters who move into an area that we are already hunting and then expect us to find somewhere else to hunt because they now have a bait pile in the area. We’ve had notes left on our trucks, we’ve had guys waiting for us at our trucks to harass us when we return, we’ve had guys come to the cabin to harass us, we’ve been threatened with “war” and my 12 year old step son and I were harassed by a baiter and his young son as he taught his son the harassment techniques. And although this occurred on private land, a friend of mine even had his neighbor who was baiting very close to the property line scream obscenities at his daughter who was in a treestand on their own property because the baiter thought she was too close to his stand/bait.

Hunting the northwoods can be very challenging and I understand why some people feel they need to bait. It can be very frustrating though when you have been hunting an area all season or multiple seasons trying to put all the pieces together and figure out buck movement patterns in an area and just as you think you have things figured somebody comes along and plops down a bait pile and changes everything. It’s not only the appearance of a new food source that changes things but also the increased human presence and disturbance that goes along with baiting that contributes to the change. Then the guy has the balls to tell me to find someplace else to hunt because he’s baiting there. If the other guy would hunt without bait we could both keep a low profile and share/hunt the same area with minimal effect on each other or the deer but the guy with the bait is attempting to tip the odds 100% in his favor. By doing so he’s messing me up (and others attempting to hunt without bait) and he’s probably not doing himself any favors either, although he may not know any other way and it’s the only chance he’s got.

Without bait it’s a level playing field and we can all hunt. With one guy baiting all of a sudden that guy is doing something that has multiple effects on the deer and other hunters, not to mention the fact that he’s probably going to get territorial and claim the public land. I’ve had multiple encounters and conversations with other non-baiting hunters who are also hunting the same areas I hunt. The discussions are always respectful and cordial, usually with both of us trying to stay out of each other’s way. Those discussions are very different when a baiter is involved due to the investment, territorialism and claiming of land that goes along with establishing a bait site. That baiter may have all of his eggs in one basket and damned if he’s going to allow somebody else to hunt nearby or if he’s going to try to find another spot to hunt after he went through all the “work” of conditioning the deer in the area.

I’ve also hunted public land in other states where baiting is not allowed and interactions with other hunters are nearly always respectful and cordial because there is not the territorialism and land claiming component associated with baiting.

I have also NEVER had a negative interaction with somebody who has claimed public land by planting a food plot on it. And that is one huge distinction between food plots and bait.

Yes, for some people hunting the northwoods means finding a nice quiet remote place to sit and stare at a corn pile. Personally I would much rather put the pieces of the puzzle together to kill a buck and the last thing I want to do is hunt somebody else’s bait pile. And yes, it’s not my place to tell others how to hunt but at the same time hunting without bait has little or no effect on other hunters. On public land I shouldn’t have to deal with the negative effects of their method.

29-Nov-16
Yes^^^ thank you! Enough said.. Cheesehead said it with perfection.

29-Nov-16
"Wow, what’s with all the hate on this thread?" CM, if that was meant for me, it is because masterbait has a history of adding nothing of value to a conversation. Quite the contrary, he continuously throws insults from the safety of his basement. I can often ignore childish remarks but being called a poacher fired me up. Never done it, never had any type of charge or accusation regarding that. It fired me up enough to state I'd slap him if it were said to my face and I stand by that. He is a faceless, gutless troll and nothing more.

29-Nov-16
Capt.. I find masterbait amusing.. If you go back and read his rage posts he would make you laugh too.. He's not valued on this site and I think it frustrates him. He'll probably comment back on this. I'll read with a smile..

29-Nov-16
CaptMike,

My comment wasn't directed at you specifically, just the comments in general.

Thanks Nocturnal8 :^)

29-Nov-16
Mike, I'm with you on the habitat improvements including timber diversity, thermal cover, and water..... These types of habitat improvements help deer year round for the long run. I'm all for it. What size do you think the average food plot is ? In my experience most are about 1-3 acres in size. Not exactly going to help the deer for very long. I consider them short term bait just like a corn pile. Its perfectly legal to do it. I just don't believe there purpose is any different than a guy using corn. That's all I'm saying.

Ive spent a lot of time on public land in big woods. Ive also got the notes on my truck, the phone call warning me to stay away, guys running at me in the woods asking me what the hell Im doing walking around on public land? etc.... If you hunt on public land long enough, you will surely wonder many times if there's still intelligent life on earth based on the people you meet? Im not so sure theres any difference though between baiters on public and plotters on private? I think the selfishness is evenly split. How many places do the neighbors get along fine all year..... except deer season. Then its Hatfields vs. Mccoys everywhere. After deer season, everyone exchanges Christmas cards. Bottom line is there's a lot of selfishness in deer hunting today all the way around. I guess we all interpret that selfishness in different ways.

29-Nov-16
Noc, you are correct, the drivel he spews is comedic.

29-Nov-16
What a great deer season again this year. Now packing for black powder then late season bow. I love it.

29-Nov-16
Buck, you are correct. The deer hunting we have in WI is the envy of many people from other states. Most years I do not shoot a deer and that is by choice but that does not diminish the experience. Sat a few hours this afternoon with the ML and most likely will make it out a few more times. Then some late season bow hunting, although the Antlerless and Holiday hunt block off a good number of days to shoot a buck. Two days ago I was thinking I might be done for the season but it is just not that easy to let it go. Next September is a long way off.

30-Nov-16
Some of you guys may not like this .....but i like the deer seasons the way it use to be...... bow would close the Sunday before gun season...... register your deer at the local bar....CaptM I like right after Christmas ......some of the best deer hunting....if cold enough best ice fishing their is. Love hunting and fishing in Wisconsin.

30-Nov-16
I'd rather see some sort of apr system for all except youth and a draw/point system for all non residents.

30-Nov-16
Sounds like a lot of frustrated, deerless, deer manipulators here so shortly after gun season. I understand it probably hurts given all the " farming", property taxes, gas, ect, not to mention time and being schooled by an animal.

Masterbait. What is so funny to all of us. You believe you are the almighty deerhunter. What's funny to me, is not one time have I ever seen you show some knowledge to anything. Seriously though, it's all hate. Your wrong I'm right and if you don't agree with me I'll call you a deer manipulator. I don't know what is wrong with you. If your a child or a angry old man. I think your sad. I will say thank you for reading through my never ending thread. I hope you enjoyed it. ;-) This thread is as terrible as some have explained. The two buck rule is just fine. It will be here to stay.

30-Nov-16
"What's funny to me, is not one time have I ever seen you show some knowledge to anything. Seriously though, it's all hate. Your wrong I'm right and if you don't agree with me I'll call you a deer manipulator. Noc, a good definition of an internet troll. +1

30-Nov-16
And if we weren't sure, the fool posts confirmation.

30-Nov-16
Lol just about everyone here seems happy except for Baity-fred

30-Nov-16
Hey materbait...... hunting is great and its getting better.

30-Nov-16

Nocturnal8's embedded Photo

30-Nov-16

when neverbait comments! Lol

30-Nov-16
One has to wonder when an individual repeatedly boasts they cant stand another person, but yet they try to engage in conversation with the person they hate every chance they get. Weird...........

30-Nov-16
I should have popped the popcorn before I re-opened this thread! It's been great! Neverbait, please keep saying stupid things. I'll leave this one closed to simmer for a couple days and then enjoy a beer with my nightly entertainment.

30-Nov-16
Just keepin it fun crusader.. :) Retro i wouldn't say every chance. But your entitled to your opinion, weird or not..

30-Nov-16
Lol neverbait. Apparently I'm a slow learner?

30-Nov-16
"The two buck rule is just fine. It will be here to stay."

That would be great (actually some years I would prefer 3 buck tags) but I'm wondering how you can say that with such confidence, aside from the reason that dropping the limit to one would not make sense, as history has shown the DNR regularly does things that make no sense. So Nocturnal8 how do you know "it will be here to stay"?

30-Nov-16
Hunter that is a great question. To be honest I don't know. But it wouldn't make sense in the eyes of money. Money lost means a lot of things. Public land being sold to hold over the loss of money. Hunter intrest lost and so on. It would be a trickle effect. To me it would seem catastrophic if they did that. But who am I to say. It's just an opinion.

01-Dec-16
"The two buck rule is just fine. It will be here to stay." I'll guarantee it is here to stay until there becomes a biological reason to change it. But, maybe HunterR, in his infinite and all knowing wisdom, has been schooling the DNR deer managers?? The only thing we still do not know is if it is a 3, 4 or 5 beer class.

01-Dec-16
Gotcha Nocturnal8, I thought maybe you had some inside info on this. Like I said though, I'd prefer to see the 2 buck tags stay or even be increased.

01-Dec-16
HunterR I hope they stay too. But to 3 HunterR? Why do you say that?

01-Dec-16
Purely for selfish reasons, as there have been years where I have more than two target bucks in my sights. And I think harvesting 2 p&y bucks in the same season with a bow would be awesome.

01-Dec-16
Okay... Yeah I was curious. I see where you come from. That's another reason I pass deer, and pretty decent ones early on. I hate tagging out early. when I have, I've always wished I had an extra or wish I would have held up, hearing everyone's report.. But you can use your time for other things. Put someone else on one. In season scout... Hunt with a camera? Hang with the family.. :)

01-Dec-16
I don't mind tagging out early, it would just be nice to be able to have that goal to go after certain years depending on what the cams show. And nothing wrong with hanging with the family, it's like my third or fourth favorite thing to do. :-)

01-Dec-16
Hahahaaaa!! Yes exactly lol

02-Dec-16
So apparently you think it's better to make rules based on speculation and conjecture rather that scientific facts... Doesn't make sense to me.

There's no merit in being proactive just for the sake of being proactive.

09-Dec-16
I like the idea of one buck per year regardless of weapon choice.

09-Dec-16
Woods, I missed third grade baiters response but I appreciate you filling in and giving him his daily lesson.

14-Dec-16
10 to 12 inches on Friday down here in the south. Already have 7 on the ground.

14-Dec-16
They'll be fine. I just picked up another bag of cracked corn and new submersible water heater.

14-Dec-16
We never got any snow up until a few weeks ago, 10-12 inches is nothing, they are going into winter in great shape....next week is suppose to be in the 20s range. For now they are in good shape.

14-Dec-16
Feeding what??? I cant stop the wildlife from trespassing into my yard and stealing food and water. If I chose to store my feed that way that's my choice.

14-Dec-16
Thanks for the reminder Never! I need to dust off my brassica and insulate the coop with my clover hay.

16-Jan-17
Everything is looking good in the south. Also enjoying my second buck tag along with the extended (metro) season.

16-Jan-17
Never, you on crack or what?

16-Jan-17
Lol ^^^^^

17-Jan-17
That's a lot of soup for a guy who keeps preaching that they're not that hard to kill...

17-Jan-17
Extremely confident mike doesn't need pointers from a person like you. Or anyone on bowsite.

17-Jan-17
"needing" and "wanting" are two completely different things. I don't need to plant food plots but I choose to plant some on the 60 acres I live on because I enjoy it and it helps improve the habitat. It's a lot of work when you don't have a lot of equipment but I enjoy turning patches of weeds into something more productive.

I have never killed a deer off of my plots and I have killed dozens in the northwoods without plots or bait. I appreciate the confidence that Nocturnal has in me but I'm always open to learning so if you have anything worthwhile to add or share then I'm all ears. Let's hear your pointers.

Your use of the term "cheater plot" obviously implies that somehow it's cheating. It's pretty juvenile and not much different than your other favorite "Fudge Packer".

So let me ask you this; if you had land that you lived on and could hunt on (I don't know, maybe you do?) and you had some good locations for food plots and the food plots together with logging activity etc. will improve the habitat on your land, wouldn't you plant some food plots on it? If not, why not?

I suppose when I'm hunting the acorns out in my woods I'm hunting "cheater oaks".

Woodsdweller, I don't have a recipe but I just got some made at Louie's Finer Meats in Cumberland and they are the best brats I've ever had!

17-Jan-17
Ohh I'm extremely confident because there has never been a time he's given any value. My guess is hes a little guy.

17-Jan-17
You can always tell a low life jealous of someone else. Please baiter...... go away.

17-Jan-17
Still waiting on those pointers...

17-Jan-17
He likes to talk about boots for some reason. As I said before I like Meindels for my elk hunting. How about you Mike, what's your favorite elk hunting boots?

17-Jan-17
Master baiter why would I ever be jealous of you. I know where I would like to stick my boots.

17-Jan-17
I've been looking for him to provide something useful this whole time. All we get are boots and deer manipulators.

17-Jan-17
Nocturnal don't hold your breath. Baiter never has anything good to say about anything. He just trolls.

17-Jan-17
Trolls trolls and trolls somemore! If this site was better patrolled he would have been long gone. On other sites, if he would opened his mouth like he does, he'd be gone.

I think pat should grant someone a position at being a moderator. That would clean up the trash quick. Only a thought..

17-Jan-17
Masterbait=a small little guy, void of rational thinking and screaming for attention. Maybe a boot full of pacifiers would help him?

18-Jan-17
I made some brats last year. Taste good little dry. More fat next batch.

18-Jan-17
I absolutely love smoking!

I haven't used an old locker before but I have used left over duct work. I was going to try to find an old fridge to convert into a smoker. They seal up real nice. But my misses reminded me were not living in West Virginia (not that there's anything wrong with that). So no my plans are to make a cinder block smoke house.

18-Jan-17
Pork fat. I hate to say this but I will have to ask my wife what percent. She's on here way to Florida this morning. When she gets back I will find out.

18-Jan-17
Lard? Ever try making a hard dried sausage like my?liwska? Seems like it would be great when made with venison.

18-Jan-17
Here is a sausage that once upon a time used to eat lots of. In this recipe i replaces the 95% lean park with venison. I'm figuring since venison is already dang lean that this should work out ok.

4 lbs Venison

1 lb pork back fat

6 tsp salt

1 tsp glucose

3 tsp white pepper

2 tsp sweek paprika

1 tsp cure #2

1/4 tsp TSP-X Starter culture

grind through a 1/4" plate

dissolve starter in 1/4c water

mix dry ingredients and grind till they're all in a fine powder

mix it all together till the fat is well dispersed

add the culture and mix again

stuff the paste into cassings, tie off in 12" sections

incubate at 75* for a day and a half at about 80% humidity. Then remove and all them to cure in a cool room at 65-70% humidity for about 4 weeks. An attic or a basement corner with a dehumidifier in the winter works great for this.

18-Jan-17
I'm curious about curing and smoking a rear quarter similar (but not exactly) like a ham. I've heard of others trying it but it turned out too salty.

18-Jan-17
As most of us know, most youths love hot dogs, as do I. Anyone with a good recipe to turn some of that great venison into tasty hotdogs?

18-Jan-17
Got the recipe for the brine that he used and to what temp did he smoke till?

18-Jan-17
Woodsdweller to get the fat just buy the big strips of pork and cut fat off as needed.

18-Jan-17
I haven't smoked any venison because its already so lean.

I smoke tons of pork and whole turkeys. When I started I used to try to find fruit woods. When I couldn't find any I would use whatever hard wood I could find. Maybe I don't have the most sensitive palate but I really can't tell the difference between the different woods. What makes the biggest difference is making sure you have clean blue smoke and make sure no bark on the logs. I also don't wet my wood. I want to smoke the meat not steam my meat. If you have a problem with flare ups you just need to adjust the dampers.

18-Jan-17
Some good stuff here guys!

18-Jan-17
I completely agree with you woods.

18-Jan-17
You guys got me thinking of buying a smoker.

18-Jan-17
A store bought smoke is nice but not necessary. I use my fire pit and drum currently.

18-Jan-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo

Tweed's Link
Ray is one of my favorite outdoorsmen.

On my camping/hunting trip next year if I'm successfull I want to this (see link) and also cooking the liver straight on hot embers.

18-Jan-17
This one is for Shane (Crusader). I plan on getting some rabbits this weekend and trying this out myself.

Passed on from a friend:

Simple rabbit curry:

2 pounds rabbit meat (bone in, bone out doesn't matter)

1 packet lamb curry paste

6 leaves fresh basil

1/2 red onion

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

Dice half onion, cut rabbit into 1-2in chunks, place ingredients into pot, add water as directed on curry paste, stir well to dissolve paste and evenly spread spices, place on medium-high heat until boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for one hour, remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes to thicken.

Serve over jasmine rice, garnish with a sprig of fresh basil

18-Jan-17
Woody- its a rabbit curry dish, not smoked.

18-Jan-17
Sometimes it just takes a little manure to make something grow.

18-Jan-17
Speaking of tasty venison, I always serve with a side of corn.

18-Jan-17
What are your thoughts about adding a can of creamed corn to corn bread?

18-Jan-17
Never did it myself but it sounds good. Been away for a while but I did bring with me a few packages of biltong, which is air dried meat. Started making it after my first trip to Africa and have done so every year since.

20-Jan-17
Where are all of Neverbait's trophy photos if big bucks are so easy to kill?

09-Sep-17
Neverbait/Rash is the drunk that gets kicked out but tries to sneak in the back door.

09-Sep-17
Yes this site needs a hall monitor.

09-Sep-17
Can't believe somebody resurrected this thread.

Charlie, do your thing please.

09-Sep-17
I post infrequently, read daily, and get tired of the personal attacks such as the one above calling out Pete with no provocation. It is not the difference of opinion but the tenor and uncivil manner in which the attacks are posted. I thoroughly enjoy debate and discussion. As a teacher I encourage it and run my classes based upon it. I teach civil intelligent debate. Arguing for the sake of arguing is a waste. You may not see it in yourself but that is the issue. Thank you Pat and Charlie and other monitors, this has been an incredibly more enjoyable site without the antagonism previously occurring. I will respond no more to this other than in PM's to Charlie and other moderators.

09-Sep-17
No need to respond screwball. I know for a fact that the vast majority see it as you do. I agree. Waaaay better place lately, and that was my point all along. We could be better, and we've proved it. Now we are better! That thanks goes to the owner, the moderators, the editors, and the contributors. If we simply use our internal ignore button, we will be much better off.

Happy hunting!

• Sitka Gear