CRX32 18-Oct-16
smokey 19-Oct-16
Tweed 19-Oct-16
wiscbowhuntr 19-Oct-16
Grunter 19-Oct-16
badgerfan24 19-Oct-16
Pete-pec 19-Oct-16
18-Oct-16
It's getting closer to that magical time of year. It'll be fun and informative to have all this in one thread. Let's try to keep a loose format to the reports. Stories of hunts and pics are always encouraged. Try to include number of deer seen, date, county, weather conditions etc...

18-Oct-16
I thought it was just me on my hunting land, but it is not. As I read through these posts on various threads, a common theme seems to be a decided lack of rutting buck sign. Most posts report little rut sign in the way of scrapes and rubs, or sightings of bucks moving around. At least in Southern WI. I get the impression the woods this year, so far, are pretty quiet. That's the way it is on my property in Sauk County; very few rubs and only one scrape seen to date. I'm thinking this weekend things will bust open and we'll see sign galore. Hope so. After all, it's about time!

18-Oct-16
I had two different 2 1/2 year old bucks grunting behind does last weekend during the great lunar periods. Sunset near moonrise on full moon is my favorite. Lots of action.

18-Oct-16
casekiska, I have noticed the same on my public spots here in Chippewa county, although it is early. I usually have scrapes all over by now. I haven't been to my land in Pierce county since Oct 9th. I only seen one small scrape that day, but did see 5 rubs.

18-Oct-16
RutnStrut - Yeah, that's what I mean. Now KC has had some action,...but most guys seem to, so far, be seeing little encouraging sign. Those that do, GREAT! (I envy them.) I'm still thinking this weekend will be the time that for most, it all begins to turn on.

18-Oct-16
Last year I was seeing scrapes and rubs everywhere on October 3rd. This year has been very discouraging for the spots I assumed to be littered with buck sign. Not the case yet. I scouted this past Sunday and found very little sign. I find rubs tight to bedding areas as soon as velvet comes off. But no rubs near doe beds or cruising trails yet. Couple scrapes near food sources and that is it. This week or weekend should be a good time to cover some ground for new sign. I'm hoping so anyways.

I went back through my notes and it seems to be rolling just like 2011 for my observations.

18-Oct-16
I follow Charley Alsheimer from D&DH and the week that I'm taking off is from November 7 to 11. I think my activity was more lunar, but it was nice to see and hear the bucks grunting. I have only seen one small rub.

18-Oct-16
More sign will start to show up in another week or so.

18-Oct-16
I have seen the exact opposite and heard the opposite of what casekiska has seen. I was on public land last week-end putting a few traps in and then scouting, checking stand locations, and putting out cams. I've seen more scrapes and buck activity for this time of year then I can ever recall seeing in the past. Also know of some good bucks shot recently, and good movement seen. Looking forward to getting out for the first time this week-end.

18-Oct-16
Elk than you found the right spot. I've scouted 3 different counties in the last 5 days and have seen minimal buck sign as far as scrapes.

18-Oct-16
Pretty slow yet in Grant Co. A few lost 1 1/2's wondering around. 100's of squirrels. Does anyone hunt squirrels anymore? Or did the phones & tablets replace that too?

19-Oct-16
I started to see scrapes show up last weekend and more young bucks sparring on camera. Usual timing so it will pick up now. Nothing to get too excited about for at least another week. Still fun though.

Most of active daylight activity peaked around here week two Nov. Close to what Alsheimers studies show.

19-Oct-16
I ended up a day off this friday. Probably split it between fishing and hunting. Have your camereas show more activity early or late recently?

19-Oct-16
We are starting to see bucks in broad daylight in central Wisconsin.

19-Oct-16
Front end of my truck saw a 4pt last night on interstate by portage. Just hand washed it the day before too. He did considerable damage but at least everyone was ok. Standing in the lane.

As for hunting....had a small 5pt come by this morning and also saw a doe. Have seen 1 nice rub and no scrapes yet

19-Oct-16
Hunt private land in Portage County. Saw several scrapes on Saturday

19-Oct-16
Saw a doe get bred last Thursday. The earliest for me in my 37 years. I would call it an anomaly, but I'm sure a small percentage of old does get bred that early in October versus November. I'm betting on the second week of November to be peak this year. Ordinarily I'd say bucks are cruising last few days of October, but I'm calling it later this year. I observed that yearling rub trees, snort weezing, grunting, chasing, and then finally breed that old doe. I'm surprised she allowed him to, she was bigger than he was. I shot her 3 minutes later after being bred. I've seen as many as 13 adult does feeding in the alfalfa in the evening while hunting. All have twins except for one with a single fawn, and one who had none, and that was her. Come the rut, I should have the boys looking due to this 60 acres of alfalfa that is drawing all the ladies. The crop is not getting cut again, and is about a foot tall right now. Should be good all winter. Awesome!

• Sitka Gear