pop-r 19-Mar-17
Buglmin 19-Mar-17
trublucolo 19-Mar-17
ColoBull 21-Mar-17
Glunt@work 21-Mar-17
8pointer 22-Mar-17
ColoBull 22-Mar-17
19-Oct-16
I'm new to bowsite but a 50 year Colo resident, and 25 year bowhunter. Getting long in the tooth, and short in the legs. Wondering if its appropriate to offer ~20 years of bowhunting experience ( maps, GPS sightings & kills, etc.) for a pretty productive part of the State ( for sale)? It's grown just a bit to rough for us old farts but we have years and years, and miles & miles of info we could "share" for a reasonable consideration. My apologies if this is inappropriate

19-Oct-16
Wow. I've seen it all. I'd say inappropriate is the right word.

Why don't you help out a fellow bowhunter and take that satisfaction to your grave rather than a monetary gain.

19-Oct-16
Can I get a 90 day free trial before submitting payment?

19-Oct-16
I'd volunteer to be a proofreader!

19-Oct-16
Its a free country, and it is based on capitalism.

I don't know what the market is for selling knowledge - but I think my brother is paying 50,000 a semester for my niece for out of state tuition at CU Boulder. Whats the difference. Lots of guys have written books about where to hunt in Colorado, sounds like your offering that type of info, with a personal touch.

That said, bowhunters hold their wallets closely.

Good Luck

20-Oct-16
CU Boulder is $52,700 a year including room and board for out of state, not a semester. There's a big difference between a Div 1 college education and an OTC elk spot. Apples to Oranges.

To each their own.

20-Oct-16
I've spent a good $20 grand over the years, hunted it for nearly 4-500 days , and logged hundreds and hundreds of miles figuring it out & gathering the info. Got an elk or two most years ( 3-4 hunters). 50 cents a mile or day ( like $200-ish) didn't seem outrageous ( I know - I never mentioned a price - like I said off the bat - new here & unsure of the rules). Probably no more than 3-4 "offerings". Too many and the area would flush like a toilet.

I post it here for free and next year there probably wouldn't be a parking spot (or elk) for miles. Yeah, nevermind. Thanks for the humor info & support to those of you who offered it.

20-Oct-16
If I was new to Colorado with a nice job in Denver and not a lot of time to learn it on my own, I would strongly consider meeting with you to discuss. I don't see what you are doing as "wrong" or "inappropriate" as others have stated. Now if you had relatives (ones you like) who would benefit from this information, then I would consider that to be inappropriate.

Many people on here knock others for hiring guides or doing drop camps because it's paying someone else to do the work and hunt for them. To each their own, I guess. My father was a successful professional before retiring. Dad did well for himself but in order to make money, he had to be there turning the handle. If he wasn't in the office, he wasn't making money. He didn't have the time to do as many hunts as he wanted, let alone scout and do a lot of the work that some on here enjoy as much as the hunting itself.

Good luck in the next steps of your hunting career. Should you reach a deal, take the funds and use them towards a dream hunt that you would never have taken without the little windfall. Perhaps that would make you feel as though this is a more appropriate way to use these funds. It's not like you blew $20K over the years hunting elk and didn't enjoy it along the way!

20-Oct-16
Colobull, I don't think that it is inappropriate but I think that you have alternatives...

To reach a larger market (and more $), you could write a "how to" book on CO elk hunting: terrain, hunting methods, elk behavior as well as how it has (or has not) changed over the last 25 years. Lots of online resources to help you write & publish; example All Writers Resources.com

You could also mentor a new bowhunter on your honey holes.

20-Oct-16
We've hunted elk successfully across many parts of the state. The common denominators for finding elk have always been finding an "elky" area to begin with, getting a mile or three up (or down) a trail ( away from roads), getting 1/2 mile (or 3) off the (people & horse) trails, reading the signs and doing the legwork. Then the finesse, tactics and techniques come into play. My relatives ( Sons) have learned these basics and I'm sure they would do well in any reasonable bow-elk hunting environment. They aren't particularly enamored with the area either - it is pretty tough going for the most part ( another frequent common denominator in finding elk - going where you normally might not like to go). There were quite a number of outfitted hunters from across the country who paid what I consider pretty ridiculous prices to essentially "camp" in elk country just a few miles from this area. Apparently, most of them would probably have been much happier paying a small fraction of that amount to "buy into" an active data stream. There were a few others who drove for days across the country for "The Ultimate Rocky Mountain Elk Hunt" only to fall bit short in the knowledge department. We've often helped these kind of hunters as much as we could without giving up our best "trade secrets". I don't see this as being much different than selling a book, other than that giving the specifics in a book would probably mean the end of decent elk hunting there soon after any book hit the presses. My sons are split on the notion, and I was just looking for some additional feedback. I've already found 3-4 somewhat easier "elky" areas and will likely soon be closing the book on this chapter of my elk hunting life, regardless. We'll probably be giving the area one last "shot" next year. Now taking applications for a few lucky "mentees"...who can somewhat reasonably keep at least a few well guarded secrets. A primary one is "under MOST circumstances, NEVER give up your "Honey Holes". Thanks, and good luck to you all as well.

20-Oct-16
"There's a big difference between a Div 1 college education and an OTC elk spot. Apples to Oranges."

You're right, elk info is FAR more valuable than a university education these days! :)

20-Oct-16
Hey, why not! Chris Roe does it! Elknut does it! Corey Jacobsen does it! And every good outfitter does it. And many others have a bill of goods for sale. So what makes this guy any different? He has information for sale. If you want it, buy it. If not, don't.......

20-Oct-16

cnelk's Link
I agree. Why Not? Not any different than a 'Hunt Planner' selling his service/knowledge.

A couple years ago, I started a thread about trading some of my waypoints for other hunting opportunities.

20-Oct-16
And I'll start the bidding at $20.... :)

20-Oct-16
What area? A swap sounds intriguing. & perhaps a bit less controversial approach :)

20-Oct-16
I don't see it as unreasonable. If people weren't willing to pay for information those Eastman boys up in Wyoming wouldn't be nearly as famous. Everyone is looking for the next edge or leg up and what better than 25 years of experience.

I for one can't seem to get it done with archery equipment. I've put in the time and effort but over the course of 10 years haven't connected. This is something I would be interested in as steep, tough country doesn't bother me.

20-Oct-16
It can't hurt to try. It really doesn't impact anyone who is not in on the transaction so I don't understand why anyone would object.

22-Oct-16
There is a Bowsiter who used to be an outfitter who "brokers" hunting spots. He buys them from guys like you who no longer hunt there and sells the info to DIY hunters from elsewhere. He's a good guy and legit, who found a niche to market. If you're interested pm me and I will hook you up with him.

15-Mar-17
For those of you who were interested, Llamas have been leased for the first 2 weeks. The "archived" PM's are no longer there, so feel free to PM me again.

15-Mar-17
I'll give you $50.

17-Mar-17
The Llamas run ~ $300/wk, per animal. We share that among our group. $50 isn't even a fair share of the 25% deposit. But I suspect you were being facetious (?)

19-Mar-17
Very valuable info I'm certain! How much?

19-Mar-17
Shoot, if you want information free, just go to the bars in Pagosa and when the guys get drunk, the information pours out as they try to impress everyone...dead serious!!

19-Mar-17
lol, my observation has been the BS is pretty deep too....guess that could be said just about anywhere alcohol and elk are involved.

21-Mar-17
We've never hit the bars in Pagosa. It might be interesting to hear some of those stories & compare them to actual experience. Many good points were made regarding the OP, "Selling info...", and taken into consideration. Having re-read & re-thought it (as stated just above), we decided to propose the "share the lease cost & we will share our knowledge of the area" offer. Anyone who doesn't think that's a fair offer can go their own way. $20-$50 might get you some interesting leads down at the bars...

21-Mar-17
The revised offer is a pretty nice thing to do. Just be careful that anyone who takes you up on it doesn't pay more than their equal share of the rental. If they offered to cover more than their share of the llama costs in exchange for you guys showing them around the unit, you would be outfitting.

Selling the info and some spots on a map is no problem unless any part of it occurs while you are in the woods.

22-Mar-17
I was referring to $50 for your information and am not interested in renting horses or llamas.

22-Mar-17
'Sorry, 8 pointer - no offense intended. "Selling' information appears to be a "hot topic", and perhaps borderline illegal. We've decided it's not worth the trouble. The offer will only be extended to those interested in joining our group, and paying a fair share of the pack lease. This is the same deal required of my own sons. Good luck to you and yours - & again, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

• Sitka Gear