Reggiezpop 20-Oct-16
Inmyelement 20-Oct-16
happygolucky 20-Oct-16
RutnStrut 20-Oct-16
razorhead 20-Oct-16
Novice 20-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 20-Oct-16
19-Oct-16
Which camo pattern do you prefer? Hunting mostly in the hardwoods. I'm looking at either Mossy Oak Treestand, Realtree Extra, or Mossy Oak Break Up Country.

(ps. if you don't believe camo patterns matter to deer, just keep it to yourself)

Thanks everyone!

19-Oct-16
ASAT or Predator if available. I know not one of your choices, but these 2 really break up the human outline better.

19-Oct-16
Any idea which camo brands offer that camo pattern?

19-Oct-16
Ah just kidding. I didn't know it was an actual brand. thanks again.

20-Oct-16
I agree with Rut. Most other camo garments just turn into a black blob at a distance rather than breaking up the outline.

20-Oct-16
Back in the day we only had the USMC WWII, US Army Woodland, and Viet-Nam Tigerstripe patterns, but now bowhunters are lucky to have a wide variety of selections available. I now perfer the large pattern camouflage to eliminate the "blob" effect common to the smaller patterns at a distance. Still though, no matter what camo you choose,...the key is to sit still and see them first!

20-Oct-16
I like Mossy Oak Break Up the best. I would like to try ASAT or something similar once the leaves have fallen, some reason never have.

Interesting to note that deer are more sensitive to blue wave lengths than humans are. Meaning, they see blues much brighter than we do. So, wearing blue jean may not be the best thing to do, certainly not the worst I guess. BC

20-Oct-16
For deer hunting, camo is hugely over rated. Just buy whatever's warmest and most quiet.

20-Oct-16
Hello everyone, I have been following along on various threads and have decided to join the site. I am a first year bowhunter after finally moving to this wonderful state that provides me the opportunity.

I went out and bought mossy oak break up from head to toe. As the season has progressed i noticed i am very green compared to the surrounding levels of 8-20ft off the ground. I will probably seek other options myself for different parts of the season.

A co-worker of mine, hunts in brown dickies and various green and brown sweatshirts, gloves, hats and fills tags every year. So i'm thinking it could be over rated myself and is all about being quiet and motionless as possible.

Just my input for a first year bow hunter who hasn't filled a tag ever.

20-Oct-16
I can't speak for everyone's experiences or preferences, however, with my direct experience in working with the Camo companies and researching the colors, patterns, animals, etc., here is what I can tell you, there is a distinct reason the colors are what they are.

Deer can't distinguish between black, brown, green, tan, etc when mixed together. What they can see, are shades of yellow and neon green, as well as blue, purple and all shades of red. If you were to wear camo clothing with a big yellow neon logo (Under Armour), deer from a distance mind you, would see that neon logo like a a neon sign in the dark. Same goes for the other colors I mentioned. Deer will see those colors in very distinct HD.

The fact that your camo clothing is more green than your surroundings won't mean anything, other than that you'll be seen as a big blob in a tree with no leaves???? Unless your in a pine tree.

Thats the reason you see new camo companies not necessarily worried about leaf and tree patterns, but just more Earth tone colors mixed (i.e. - ASAT, Sitka).

20-Oct-16
WoundChannel - Welcome to the world of bowhunting! Your bow, your arrows, your equipment,...you do not yet know the possibilities these instruments hold, but you eventually will. You are starting a wild adventure that will be as exciting as you make it. Good luck my friend, we wish you well.

20-Oct-16

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
I picked my camo up used at a military surplus store. Looked new though. Basic pattern. Worked well so far this year. I got a size bigger so I can layer

20-Oct-16
Your camo is fine, wound channel. Stick to what you already mentioned, be quiet and still. Equally important, if not more so, is control your scent and play the wind. Your scent will bust you long before your camo. You will soon realize that there are hundreds of companies out there that will take your money with the promise of getting a deer. Most are snake oil, save your money; find where deer are, shoot your bow a lot, control your scent, play the wind and enjoy your time outdoors. Thats all you need to do to get a deer. Good luck on your first year!

20-Oct-16
Hey Trapper, you have aged gracefully. I'm 54 and chuckled at the '79 pick. Brought back some memories.

Woundchannel - Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

I have a friend who likes to wear a mix of different camos and swears by that approach. I own a mix myself and sort of just pick stuff according to the weather but I do attempt to match when I can. The nice part of hunting periodically from a pop-up blind is that all black is the color of choice.

20-Oct-16
"Thats the reason you see new camo companies not necessarily worried about leaf and tree patterns, but just more Earth tone colors mixed (i.e. - ASAT, Sitka)."

ASAT is far from new.

20-Oct-16
I like predator, hard to find, honestly, my last two bucks, did not care I was wearing a blue and black, big plaid shirt, and wool pants,,,,,, I think most camo, is for the human eye, and way over sold

20-Oct-16
Commercial camo is made for the hunter, not the prey. Try predator, intrusion, asat, etc. If you can, check out Gray wolf woolens. The previous owner is the most knowledgeable hunter I know. You cannot argue with success. My outfits are over 13 years old and still going. Very durable and custom designed for hunting.

20-Oct-16
Almost all of my camo is Opti-fade open country or Mountain Mimicry. Works great here at home in Wisconsin trees too without the dark blob effect

Also like Predator in spring green for early season, I hunt in a lot of Aspen /Poplar trees

• Sitka Gear