South Farm 20-Oct-16
woodguy65 20-Oct-16
Bigmikey 20-Oct-16
Per48R 20-Oct-16
Batcherjw 21-Oct-16
Per48R 21-Oct-16
Bigmikey 22-Oct-16
20-Oct-16
Im in the process of purchasing a 20 acre low land grass marsh. it rises up to a 65 foot flat befor hitting a side road and 200yds parrell to the road. across the road is all field the guy leaves up for deer. im looking for a super fast growing evergreen or hedge and maby mix with some kind of tall growing grass. the neighbor is a pane and will slowly drive the road to scare the deer. i was looking into the tall evergreens appartments plant and are deer resistant. any ideas? south east wisconsin

20-Oct-16
You could think about two rows of Norway or White Spruce and Red or White Pine on the outside, towards your neighbors. Plant each row - spruce, pine, spruce, pine... maybe 8 - 10' apart. The pines will grow faster but they lose there lower branches over time, the spruce will grow slower but keep there lower branches and fill in under the pine. At some point you should be able to remove the pine to build a cabin. :) Next to these two rows plant an instant barrier such as Egyptian Wheat, something catching on I've never tried - Miscanthus, there are others.

20-Oct-16
Check out orange trifoliate aka pnt (pain and terror)

20-Oct-16
Depends on the site-the soil is the most important consideration when making any planting decisions. Red pine need well drained soils, so the fact you are near a marsh suggests they aren't a great option. White pine will typically be browsed on by deer so it can be a challenge to get them to grow. Spruces generally work well and put on height well once they're established.

20-Oct-16
willow! Grows FAST and thick and loves water.

20-Oct-16
Trapper they are sold out. Is that an annual or perrenial?

20-Oct-16
I do plan on dropping some Willows in, just further in the bog marsh. I'm really looking for a single line blockage. I like the grass wall as long as it's not going to spread and take over the area over time

20-Oct-16
you may be able to get 6' to 7' in one year with the right grass. It should be high from August until snow knocks it down (or it may stay up).

21-Oct-16
I believe a white pine isn't the best idea for a long term solution. Although white pines grow really fast (up to 3 feet a year when rooted in and in best conditions) it will tend to branch out and become bare. Also any type of spruce tree would be too slow of a grower. You won't see much more than 3-4" a year especially when you first plant it. My recommendation would be a green giant arborvitae. First thing that comes to mind is that deer love arborvitae and will eat it like a salad; however, the green giant arborvitae is resistant to deer. This tree has a unique smell to it that the deer tend to avoid eating. This tree will reach a height of about 30' and be about 10' wide. I know Minor's Garden Center has a great selection of these and are located on the border of Waukesha and Milwaukee. Hope this helps.

21-Oct-16
how about willow or poplar? Do you have room to plant two or three different species. One for fast growth and a second for a longer term thicker block?

22-Oct-16
Batcherjw: the green giant was exactly what i was thinking to! maby some Miscanthus in front of them by the road. it dosent take much away from the small dry ground i have thats decent enough for green trees/wind screen, which would leave room for maby two apple trees or maby a 50 x 5 foot strip plot to have the deer stage in before crossing the road at night to go into the corn field. this would be a fast acting solution, im also pondering ordering trees from the dnr, black spruce, and tamerack to spread threw out for more holding cover. after the snow hits everything is flat and dosent hold the deer.

• Sitka Gear