Tweed 16-Dec-16
orionsbrother 16-Dec-16
Crusader dad 22-Dec-16
Tweed 13-Jan-17
Crusader dad 13-Jan-17
20-Oct-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
I really like the idea of logging the hunts. Mine will probably be more like a journal rather than a live thread. I plan on posting my ideas, maps, weather and whatnot. Please chime in with your own observations and opinions. I'll be hunting public lands in Metro MKE area, mainly going north of town.

20-Oct-16
There's a 50/50 chance I'll go out tonight after work. Tomorrow I have off and plan on sitting early morning then going back out at 3:30pm. The temp tomorrow morning will be in the mid-30s and afternoon low 50s (about 5 degrees below average) here with winds prevailing from the North and relatively low humidity. Sunrise at 7:13 and sets at 6. According to deer feeding chart major feeding times will be 5:30 am and 6pm with minor times of 1:06pm and 11pm.

20-Oct-16
Are you in that house by the pond? If so, lucky.

20-Oct-16
Psh! I wish. That place is a gorgeous cabin. I have to park on the road to the north and walk in. The young woman who takes care of the property stays at the cabin that over looks the lake.

20-Oct-16
Tweed - assuming you can hunt anywhere inside the red "borders" on the map, I see a couple pinch points that might be worthwhile sitting. I always try to focus on such natural movement funnels, especially during the seeking phase when the bucks are out looking hard. Good luck to you. I am sure yours and Noc8's thread will be very entertaining for all. Thanks.

20-Oct-16
Case- shoot me a PM and share what you see. Last week I saw 4 does in the corner of the brushy clearing east of the lake and a nice buck bedded along the tree line at the south corner of the lake.

20-Oct-16
Nice man! I like these individualized hunt threads. I have no valuable info to add but wanted to say good luck.

20-Oct-16
Looking forward to your journey tweed. Property looks great! Best of luck to you bud.

20-Oct-16
Thanks for sharing!

Good Luck and Hunt Safe!

20-Oct-16
I did PM you with some "pinch point" ideas. Good idea to post this journal. A few fellows are doing it - interesting reading. We learn from the successes and experiences of others. When they share, we gain. Thanks.

20-Oct-16
Count me in as following. This is the kind of thread we need more of. Thanks for starting it.

20-Oct-16
Tweed - with regard to our PM exchanges - you said you had found small tracks in that area so you thought it might be a good place to shoot a doe - keep in mind that if there are does in an area, there will be bucks in the area. A buck isn't going to go looking in an area where does do not congregate; he knows where they live, he's going to look where he knows the does hang out. Experienced bowhunters have known for a long time that there comes a time during the rut when you should give up hunting buck sign (scrapes) and switch over to hunting doe sign. During the rut, if the does are there, the bucks will be there.

20-Oct-16
Tweed - with regard to our PM exchanges - you said you had found small tracks in that area so you thought it might be a good place to shoot a doe - keep in mind that if there are does in an area, there will be bucks in the area. A buck isn't going to go looking in an area where does do not congregate; he knows where they live, he's going to look where he knows the does hang out. Experienced bowhunters have known for a long time that there comes a time during the rut when you should give up hunting buck sign (scrapes) and switch over to hunting doe sign. During the rut, if the does are there, the bucks will be there.

20-Oct-16
These idiot Packers are pissing me off and am pretty sure I'll have a tough time in the morning getting to the stand.

21-Oct-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Not as cool out as I hoped but good cloud cover.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Not as cool out as I hoped but good cloud cover.
Runninh late as expected. Heres this mornings weather.

21-Oct-16
Well tweed I'm glad your out. After spending 5 1/2 hours at the dentist yesterday and ending up in oral surgery enduring by far the worst pain of my life I am still feeling too miserable to go. My whole face is swollen and I can't even talk. Good luck to you, I'll be checking back to see how it goes for you this morning.

21-Oct-16
Camp- isnt that warm for up there?

Crusader- how long are you down for?

21-Oct-16
Im out here enjoying the morning but like clock work right at 7:30 I have to drop a duece. I really need to figure a way to get constipated.

21-Oct-16
Tweed--a little suggestion. Try buying some good protein powder--not that crap from Walmart or Walgreens. Start having 1 shake every morning as soon as you wake up. Guarantee within 30 min your gonna have to take a deuce. Hopefully you can get er done before you leave for your morning hunts and then you don't have to worry about it. Also could have a shake in the morning and at night before bed to really ramp up the deuce process.

If you want good suggestions on protein powder let me know, Ive tried a lot of them and I lift regularly

21-Oct-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Turkey Dinner?
Tweed's embedded Photo
Turkey Dinner?
Came home for lunch and this was my view. Who's got a tag!? Lol

21-Oct-16
I do for zone 2, if I was not duck hunting in the am, I would be down

21-Oct-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Daughters...
Tweed's embedded Photo
Daughters...
Well this is the most productive part of my day. Took the little one to Cabelas and got bows for both of them.

23-Oct-16
Well this has been a crazy weekend. I planned on hunting Friday morning and evening, Saturday and Sunday evening but my brother inlaw had a stroke Friday and has been in the ICU since. My wife doesn't mind if I go out but it just doesn't feel right to be out enjoying life and creation while another might be losing his grip on his.

23-Oct-16
Hope all gets better with your brother in law.

24-Oct-16
Tweed - sorry to hear about your BIL. Hope he recovers and gets well soon. Good to see the photo of the girls shooting bows. Getting 'em started early, good. Wish I would have taken more pics of my two girls with their first bows. Good luck with the family situation and in the woods when you finally get out. Any chance you've checked out those areas I suggested on your property that might be funnels?

24-Oct-16
Praying for your wife and Brother in law. Take some time to get away in the tree for some emotional and physical therapy that it affords!

26-Oct-16
Ok well brother in-law is home. Was going to go out and sit tonight but got some free Bucks tickets. Least I know I'll see some deer running around.

I plan on hunting Friday evening through Sunday but at a different place. The map at the top of the thread I'm going to try Tuesday-Thursday next week.

29-Oct-16
Too dang warm to hunt today.

My wife is making a roast. Smells heavenly....she doesnt know it venison. This would be her first time tasting it. Im not going to tell her for a few days.

Wish me well.

29-Oct-16
Tweed that's playing with fire. Whew good luck with telling her, maybe she'll love it! Let us know what happens

30-Oct-16
Didnt go well.....didnt go well at all.

30-Oct-16
Lmao, I had a feeling you were going to say that.

30-Oct-16
Roasts are tricky, buddy. After the first one, my wife voiced her displeasure. No issues with any other cut. I cut the roasts into thin strips and make fajitas. No complaints there!

30-Oct-16
It was actually very very delicious. The issue was that she didnt know it was venison.

Boy oh boy you would've thought I fed her our firstborn.

30-Oct-16
Its 3:38. An hour later then expected. Someone was already at "my" spot so I kept driving to Granville. First time here. Wetter than I expected so I hope that keeps more guys away. Setup about 40 yards from the river. Light east breeze almost calm. On my way in a sprayed buck urine every now and then. Not very confident about this kocation but happy to be finally back out.

30-Oct-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Its probably needs to be rotated
Tweed's embedded Photo
Its probably needs to be rotated

30-Oct-16
Well,... I just got a whole lot more confidwnt. Theres two stands right across the river and another on my side about 40 yards to the north.

30-Oct-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Thats really high
Tweed's embedded Photo
Thats really high
How higher are your guy's stands?

30-Oct-16
20-25 feet but depends on the cover etc.

30-Oct-16
Well.... i locked my keys in the truck. I almost always leave the qindows cracked. ..not this time. Call of shame has been made.

30-Oct-16
Oh man bummer! That's not a good ending to the night. Hope your back in business by now. Any deer seen?

31-Oct-16
Dumbass!!!! Jk, i hope she stroked your ego while she rescued your ass. (Actually she should have negotiated for a good back rub) at least that's what mine would have done.

31-Oct-16
I had the car seat with me so my father inlaw ended up coming out. Good thing we get along very well.

About an hour in a hear a massive crashing coming through from the north towards the direction of some ag fields. Figured it must be a buck that got kicked up and is running towards the swamp that I came through for cover. Then all of a sudden about 15 turkeys come flying along the river corridor. It was them making all that noise. The land just on the other side of the river from me and begin flying into their roosting spots for the evening. Just before 6pm for whatever reason they decided to all come onto my side of the river and start roosting in trees all around me. I was certain one of this dinosaurs would snap the branch they were landing on. Was surreal. I must've been doing a good job at being still because they never noticed me. About 10 after 6 I stand up and gather my things. Oh boy did that scare the bejesus out of them. The whole canopy erupted. Next year I'm getting myself a turkey tag...... No deer sightings yesterday. Plan on taking some days off this week. I'm thinking that the dominant buck spray that I've used might be scaring them off rather than challenging them. I just bought a deer call last week (forgot it last night) and will pick up some doe esterus this afternoon. See if that changes anything.

31-Oct-16
Last year in Kansas I was out setting up a stand. I took the truck key off my big ring, left the ring in the truck and put just the truck key in my pocket. When I got back from scouting and stand setup no key in pocket. It must have fallen out when taking some other stuff out of the pocket. AAA was supposed to send a locksmith but instead sent a tow truck because no locksmiths in the area. They towed me back to camp and then went to the Dodge dealer to pick up a new key that they made based on the serial number of the truck. Now I keep a hidden key around. I figured it was karma because I sat in someone else's stand for an hour or so.

01-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Dang warm out!
Tweed's embedded Photo
Dang warm out!
I requested today off a while back. Didnt expect it to be this warm. Took kid to school and stopoed at store to pick up Thermacell in case mosquitoes come out. Didnt get here till 9 but felt good not to feel rushed.

Put out some doe esterus.

01-Nov-16
Its painfully quiet. Each leave falling has me thinking deer. Dont even hear squirrels.

01-Nov-16
start some rattling sequences with some grunting mixed in. If you dont hear anything its not going to hurt!

01-Nov-16
Left for lunch. Its too dang hot. Im going fishing.....

01-Nov-16
I agree with you on the weather. Working 3rd shift (11-7) and I have 1/2 days all week to hunt. One buck at 8am and haven't seen anything else moving.

01-Nov-16
Got called for a quick job so didnt go fishing. Im at a new spot at the edge og sime messy hard woods over looking water. I put out two scent wicks at 45 degrees 15 yards into the field. First time in the climber since I got myself stranded a few weeks ago.

01-Nov-16
Jakes- i worked 3rd for years and loved it. Work all night then got the town/day to yourself to do whatever you want.

01-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Watering hole - mansion in the background
Tweed's embedded Photo
Watering hole - mansion in the background

01-Nov-16
Crossing this place off. Its crawling with duck hunters.

02-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Field/Swamp
Tweed's embedded Photo
Field/Swamp
Tweed's embedded Photo
Woods
Tweed's embedded Photo
Woods
So here are two places I want to scout this week. The wooded property is about 10 minutes closer to me then the field/swamp property. The white X is where I'm thinking of using the climber based off of just looking at maps. Two of the water fowlers said they've seen a few bucks sparing the last few nights at the field/swamp site.

02-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
This is right around the corner from field/swamp. Nothing really stands out. Think I'll take a walk along the eastern border to see if there's any good trails coming from the ag field. To the south on the other side of the road is a produce farm. The property appears to be pretty wet.

02-Nov-16
In the field/swamp property, there is a tree cut right on the edge in between your x's that must've been climbed recently. The pics are deceiving because it is super thick inside where you've marked and climbing doesn't give you many shots. The field has beans this year. Some fresh rubs along the parallel trail I'd give it a sit on a NW wind.

04-Nov-16
So the place that I have in mind at the moment that I plan on hunting this weekend has a small river on the east side. I plan on setting up next to the river, facing west to avoid deer from circling me and catching wind. I plan on using two scent wicks 10-20 yards west of me with a forcasted NNW wind. There is a road less than 100 yards to the south.

05-Nov-16
Im going against the conventional wisdom aboutgoing as deep as possible on pulic land. Found a great rotted out old tree with in sight of my truck and can hear the phone ring over by the quarry. Im on a burm between a small river and a marsh. Heavy trails that look like they use this area for stagging before crcrossing the road. West wind, im facing SW with river to the east. Two esterus wicks to the south of me.

08-Nov-16
Sat for only a few hours Saturday 11/05. The woods were painfully quiet. The only noises were from the subdivision and a couple that was hanging out on the bridge. Hoping to sit before work tomorrow morning and going to take Thursday and Friday off.

08-Nov-16
What hours do you work Tweed?

11-Nov-16
I can tell its the rut. Went to my primary spot and there were 4 trucks this morming. so kept driving to plan B

Kicked up a nice doe on my way in righ where i planned on setting up. Ill be here till 11 or so.

11-Nov-16
Stay positive and confident Tweed...tough at times, but everything will come together eventually for us guys!

11-Nov-16
stick with it! This is that magical time of year.

11-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
New to me property. Sent this way by Reggiezpop. Couldnt find a tree to climb so grabbed my stoll sitting on the creek bed

11-Nov-16
Atta boy Reggie! Share some love. I don't believe he has a tag left. His hands were bloody all season! Lmao! Looking good tweed. Wish you the best

12-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Been havung issues uploading pics from my phone. Took daughter out for the first time Thursdat after school. She was way too excited. Slid down a stream bank and right into the water. She was soaked....but still wanted to continue on. Kicked up a bunch of ducks which she thought was really cool. Finally found a decent place to sit. She had a great time using the tube. Didnt see anything and after an hour or so the coldness and wettness caught up to her and we went back in. Only 1/2 early. Had a great time and she cant wait to go at it again. Thinking of getting a ground blind for us. Throw affordable suggestions if you have some.

12-Nov-16
Pop up blinds are the ticket for bringing kids along.

12-Nov-16
Menards has a 60x60 pop up for $40. Think that would be big enough for an adult and child? I have no experience with these.

12-Nov-16

Tweed's Link
Heres the link ti the blind

12-Nov-16
I had that blind. It was big enough for my son and I to fit in just fine but it's not tall enough to draw your bow. It would be fine for gun but i would not recommend it for bow. I think menards has one size bigger that will be more suitable for you.

13-Nov-16
Season is on hold till after gun most likely. Slapped my right fingers with an ax handle. Pretty swollen and i squeal when i move them. Hoping theyll be good again in a week or two.

13-Nov-16
It sounds like a good time to take the kids and scout! Maybe you'll push a deer to a different hunter. (One that can still use their hand). Are you gun hunting this year?

13-Nov-16
That was my exact thoughts. Take the time to do some scouting.

No gun humting for me this year.

Lookimh for a dirt cheap .308 if one is out there.

18-Nov-16
The swelling in my hand and ring finger has gone down. I'm guessing that by the time gun season is over I'll be able to pull the bow again.

On a related note...how long do you feel it takes the deer to start walking around during day light after the 9 day gun hunt?

18-Nov-16
They don't . A half hour after legal closing is when they normally move . LOL

18-Nov-16
They do start moving about daylight after the gun season. The deer know when things are back to normal. There are guys on here who see it. Talk to smokey..

18-Nov-16
Depends on how much pressure your area gets. Last year by the 4th day of the Muzzle Loader season we seen day time movement.

18-Nov-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
SMOKEY! What say you oh master of deer movements?

18-Nov-16
I'll be in metro MKE. I'm hoping there won't be too many gun hunters. Its my first year hunting around here so I never know.

30-Nov-16
Well I was doing some work around here last Saturday and picked up a heavy green piece of wood ad snappes the pinky finger. Had xrays yesterday and looks like Ill need surgery. My hunting season is most likely over.

Thus isn't bowhunting site but bowsite though, so once I can pull a string again I plan in posting various challenge shots.

Keep up all the great threads guys.

16-Dec-16

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Going in this morning and hoping to get this thing removed or at least more manageable.

I'm being optimistic and hoping to be able to draw the bow this weekend.

16-Dec-16
What have you got against that hand? Be careful out there tweed.

22-Dec-16
Well, it's been a week. Are you shooting yet?

13-Jan-17

Tweed's Link
Hoping to get out this weekend for the 1st time since mid November!

Love living in the metro!

13-Jan-17
Dude, bro,,, that was nasty. I have no issue killing and gutting a deer but that little pin made me squirm. I'm glad to see you are going to get out again. I was going to text you and tell you to gtf out there!

• Sitka Gear