Nocturnal8 21-Oct-16
Per48R 21-Oct-16
Swampy 21-Oct-16
retro 21-Oct-16
Elkaddict 21-Oct-16
ELK ELSEWHERE 21-Oct-16
razorhead 22-Oct-16
21-Oct-16
Some may not understand what I'm about to talk about. Some may think I'm crazy, and some may have been there before. As soon as deer season ended for the 2015 season. I had a goal in mind. I wanted to be more prepared than I've ever been. I scouted hard! I put in serious miles. Over 130 logged in miles on foot. More than I've ever done. I prepped trees and took detailed notes on how my entrance and exit would be. I even took notes on how the wind rolls in certain areas.

As soon as opening began. I started to lose focus. I started over thinking my next move, second guessing my sits in order. Going in and even second guessing my prepped trees. I lost a full quiver of arrows along with a Mathews quiver. My tactacam dismounted off my shotgun and into the water while duck hunting. I fractured my wrist. I gave hunting a break and checked cameras. Finding one camera stolen. One disappointment after another.

Between work, family, and hunting. I have barely slept. I'll lay in bed thinking about a certain buck. I think about how I can kill him. I'll get up out of bed and write it down so I don't forget. I get myself excited and I can't go to sleep. When I do fall asleep, my wife wakes me up to get into bed.

My number one goal was to kill 1 of the three bucks I've been chasing, and before the rut hits. I hunted this evening. It's a long walk in, along with a short kayak trip. I didn't see a single deer. Night came and I packed up my gear, threw it all on my back and I thought to myself. Why the hell do I do this? Rut is closing in and I've had all these obstacles to hurdle through and I haven't gotten it done. Paddling back out I just stopped, sat back and just floated along.

For the first time in a month I felt like I finally sat back to take a breath and enjoy the beauty around me. For the first time. I realized that I have completely took the fun away. Fooling myself that I never take it for granted, when I have this whole time. Over what? A deer? It sounds silly doesn't it?

I have learned yet another lesson in hunting and it's given me focus about life again. To truly never take anything for granted. I feel blessed to be doing what I love to do. Having a wonderful and supportive family, great kids, and great job. When you feel pressured or a have a loss in focus. To take a deep breath and look up. There's always something to be thankful for. It's all around us, it's life.

21-Oct-16
Good read buddy. From an older guy to a younger guy I have to say I respect you for your hard work and your insight. Some guys don't figure out where hunting registers on the priority list until they look back and see the opportunities and relationships that were damaged or lost in the process. Most of those losses cannot be regained.

I predict that you will be a more successful hunter and a more successful man, husband, and father for your right choices. Sometimes we just need to relax a bit and not force things only to find that our right choices result in good things happening. Keep up the good work.

Phil - a.k.a - PB in WI

21-Oct-16
From another older guy to the younger guy - I saw myself in your last post and thought I've been there, I know those emotions, and I understand the sentiments. My passion of years ago wasn't bowhunting, it was with another hobby, but it was just as meaningful, fulfilling, and frustrating as yours is now. One lesson I eventually came to learn is that the real reward of our pursuit was not in reaching the goal,...for you it was shooting that big buck (hint: there's always a bigger one out there) but for me back then it was something else,... Anyrate, I learned the real reward was not achieving what I set out to do, but actually it was the journey I took to get there. It was all of the people, the events, and the things that came into play while reaching for the goal. When I realized this I learned to take a more relaxed approach towards striving for the prize. I still tried hard, spent the $$$, and put in the hours,...but my attitude was different. I became satisfied with what I viewed as gracious and competent efforts that respected my fellow man. Sure, I still wanted the prize, but I came to realize the journey of reaching for it was more meaningful than actually grasping it. I realized I was like most fellows, I would never be Number One, but at least I could relax and learn to enjoy the effort. That was a big lesson to be learned, to be content with the effort. That helped me. I predict it will you too. I see you moving down that road and applaud you for it. The result will be greater satisfaction with the people in your life, the efforts you make on a daily basis and your overall station in life. I agree with what PB said and believe more success is coming your way. It is well deserved.

21-Oct-16
Use to live and breathe bowhunting. If I wasnt hunting every spare minute, I was crabby. I look back now and laugh at myself. Grandchildren changed me. Killing a deer isnt important anymore and neither is living and breathing deer hunting. Way more important things in life. In fact, obsessing over hunting and fishing leads to a pretty selfish lifestyle. I love nature and solitude and enjoy my time there. I need it to survive in this greedy world. But I would rather spend the day with my grandkids than my bow. I feel sorry for guys who are so caught up in the "trophy" part and chest beating that it consumes their life. Thats a pretty lonely life. To each there own.......

21-Oct-16
From a 66 year old hunting bum, I have been where you have gone,,,,, I did not get married till I was 35, so by than I was really messed up, hunting wise,,,,, ha ha ha..... Enjoy your family and home, and hunt when you can, and just have fun,,,,, If you get to the point, like you did, where it was not fun, time to look around, like you have......

I try no to give back, although I may not have much to offer, always ready to help someone along..... as for killing bib bucks, its not so much how you hunt, as where you hunt.......

Like you said, you want to enjoy the journey,,,, I know for a fact, that my odds are better in western Wis, than the western UP.... but then I look at my area, all the lakes and streams, and bogs, and endless and quiet areas, and I just love hunting that type of terrain.......

You also do not need all the equipment in the world etc,,,,, Keep it simple, and just go into the woods and hunt, that is why I ground hunt public land so much.......

You have a bright future........ Always help the other guy, and remember you are blessed, with family and health, appreciate that, and as you turn one time, there is the buck.....................

21-Oct-16
Good thread here with great replies by all. Enjoy it all, we go through experiences in life, ups and downs and that includes our hunting. Times for reflection are a big part of my hunting.

21-Oct-16
It is simply a matter of priorities. I do the same thing but I lay awake thinking how to better my job and income, and get the kids educated and off to a start. Hunting then for me becomes therapy, not an obsession. That keeps it fun.

21-Oct-16
All things in moderation they say...and it don't hurt to throw in a little variety, maybe go fishing, chase birds, take the wife to a movie...anything to keep things fresh and exciting. The deer will be there waiting when you get back.

21-Oct-16
Find a kid who needs a hunting mentor and get him/her started. It will energize you.

21-Oct-16
I hear ya. That's exactly why I started that thread on the Beast about people needing to slow down and take it all in. I used to burn out by now, then I'd hunt the best days during the rut sloppily or worse yet not at all. It's good to step back and take a break. I'd type more, but loading the truck for my 2cnd sit of the season on my land in Pierce county.

21-Oct-16
You can chase game non stop till your totally bushed everyday, but as you age and slow down and become part of the nature flow of nature, you will find success coming your way all by itself. I have learned to" let it happen", and it does. Its better than ever!! Slow down!

21-Oct-16
Two year's ago I almost lost my wife to cancer . Made me think of all the year's sitting in a tree when that time could have been spent with her . I still hunt but not every day now .

21-Oct-16
I've been there Noc. I'm just like you as I constantly think about deer and certain bucks. Used to hunt a lot early season, but like you said once the rut hits I'm kinda burnt out with either not seeing my target bucks or not much action at all.

My 1st sit was on Oct 6 and I have been out 4 times this year so far. I try not too hunt too much till late Oct, but as you know the fire burns too deep to not get in a stand. I have some nice bucks on cam, and might have seen them had I been hunting in late September when they were still moving in the morning as my cameras prove they were. But I didn't wana "burn" myself out and over hunt my little acreage.

Put on many miles like you in Feb, March looking for shed . Then in the spring planted 600 Norway Spruce. With the upkeep of mowing, spraying, food plot prep and seed, trail cams, wood cutting--one can get burned out easily.

It's funny though if I get burned out and wana take a break and get back to the city and work within a few days I'm already dreaming of sitting in one of my spots picturing that big buck walking by. Like others have said--I feel it's the journey of it all that I'm obsessed with. Everything that leads up to the big moment.

Maybe take a few days off and tell yourself your not going hunting. I GUARANTEE after 5 or 6 days your mind will be craving that tree again. Especially after Oct 27 when I feel the real big boys start showing up again cruising for does, or making massive rubs, or seeing a buck chasing a doe, or just hearing a grunt. One sighting of either is sure to bring back that excitement that we all dream about.

Hoping you get out of your funk and the best times are coming buddy! I'm waiting for a great story from you! ---Trevor

21-Oct-16
I've read all your comments. Everyone of you bring great advice. It's so easy to get caught up on something and focus on one direction. The truth is, we should looking around. I feel solid again. I just felt the need to say something. Knowing you older guys who have been there and done that can help the guys maybe just starting out. Life is to short to take things seriously. Especially over hunting.

21-Oct-16
I have taken a few years off. Usually due to hunting too hard and seeing too little. Essentially feeling that I should be doing better then I am. Putting all the pressure on myself. Finally dawned on me that I hunt for fun.

I haven't hunted this year yet. Expect I will hunt the 1st week of Dec (I am on vacation). I am taking it easy this year because, last year "s0ked". I am also planning on hunting differently. Bought a hammock chair. Plan on hunting from the ground where I want to sit, when I want to sit. No more looking for that perfect tree and finding it in use by someone else or worse yet, blown down in the wind. One side note, saying I haven't gone out yet is a lot less pressure then explaining why I don't have a buck yet. In addition to not burning myself out I am not burning out my hunting spots. And getting more done around the house.

21-Oct-16
Noc do what you enjoy doing for that day . Just don't feel guilty for your decisions . Archery itself puts pressure on hunter's now day's . A guy can shoot a big buck yet it means nothing if it's not a monster . The fun of just hunting is pretty much gone . If it becomes work it's not fun .Shooting a monster buck in a given area is like winning the lottery . Tell ya the truth I've shot more big buck's not trying to hunt big buck's . I wish you the best .

21-Oct-16
Something for you young guys to consider that Swampy touched on. There comes a time in ones life when you realize there's an end to this rodeo. When you get old enough that people start rapidly disappearing from your life, you start to reflect on the past. When I think back about all the time I selfishly spent hunting and fishing away from my family, it makes me pretty sad. I wasnt thinking clearly because of an obsession. The punishment for that is time lost with family that you will never get back. Its something you dont consider when your young and you think life lasts forever. Nothing wrong with hunting and fishing, but when it comes to whats important in life, keep it down on the list where it belongs. Trust me.

21-Oct-16
Simple solution....go elk hunting for a couple weeks. Upon your return you won't want to sit the treestand at all. Within a couple weeks scrapes start appearing, leaves are falling off, and bucks are starting to run. The desire to hunt will be back. :)

21-Oct-16
That ^^^^

22-Oct-16
Here is another suggestion,,, hard to do a DIY elk hunt for under 2000.00 that is your tag, gas etc,,,, even those are not cheap..... Set your sights on Mule Deer.... Forget High mountain, in August, those are all draws, tough to get,,,, worth putting in for though if your young,,,, In the 80's I could watch a Schuh/Jones video and just go out......

So set your sights on South Dakota, lots and lots of public land, along the river, lots of endless grasslands, and tags are over the counter,,,, cheaper hunt, lots of fun,,,, I camp right out of my truck, go into town after 3 days to shower, sponge bath at base camp,,,,, lots and lots of fun,,,, hard to find guys my age to go, so I am always solo, but this year hooked up with some younger guys...

do yourself good to get out somewhere else, and see what is around

• Sitka Gear