Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Inmyelement 21-Oct-16
Crusader dad 21-Oct-16
Grunter 21-Oct-16
Cheesehead Mike 21-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 21-Oct-16
21-Oct-16
I'd be leasing to a different farmer. Keeping a known thief employed and then taking that thief to other people's property is unbelievably irresponsible. If it's not your land you could have a talk with the land owner. There are plenty of farmers looking to rent land

21-Oct-16
What kind of guy keeps a thief as an employee? To me, thieves are as bad as druggies and usually the two are intertwined. It only takes one employee to hurt the reputation of the boss. It's very hard for me to find good employees where I live but when I get busy enough to need to add another worker I always make them take a drug test and background check. I work more hours until I find the right guy. I will never take a chance on someone I think might steal. I sure hope you catch this guy red handed and when you do, I hope you prosecute to the laws fullest extent. If he is employed by the farmer any loss you incurred should be covered by the employer as well if you can't recoup from the actual thief. The boss is responsible for the actions of his workers as far as I'm concerned.

21-Oct-16
I've also had a camera stolen so I know how you feel. It really pisses you off. Especially since that camera was a present from my parents.

I also had it on a field edge on our property, the cam was looking onto neighbors corn field. We have a good relationship with the corn field owner--but he rents his field to a farmer. So I had pics of a farmer helper cutting the corn, then poof 3 days later camera is gone! Called land owner pissed off, and he said no there is no way those guys would take it. I said bullshit, no doubt that guy saw my camera and took it. Needless to say I don't place my cams on field edges of property anymore.

I think you have a good plan to catch these guys. Another option would be to use a super old cam that doesn't work anymore and put in plain sight easily seen. Then use a good camera looking at both the ladder stand and fake camera to catch them. Now your gonna have to blend it in extremely well or put up high like you suggested. Or another option although more costly--get a wireless cam that sends you pics instantly on phone or computer. I'd still conceal very well. Hate to see fellow hunters deal with this crap, but there are a lot of jealous thieves out there. Let us know how it works out. ---Trevor

21-Oct-16
I've had two cameras stolen off of my property and I feel your pain. I stopped putting cameras out in that area but I also have some ideas on how to catch the thief.

21-Oct-16
I like your thinking. I believe a hidden camera overlooking my camera. But than I think about two cameras to one spot. Locks do not work. The only thing I do is hang them higher now. I think that's the best a person can do.

• Sitka Gear