Jeff Durnell 24-Oct-16
PAbowhunter1064 24-Oct-16
Phil Magistro 24-Oct-16
horsethief51 24-Oct-16
Ksholle1 25-Oct-16
Mr Bowhunter 26-Oct-16
Flintknocker 04-Nov-16
23-Oct-16
I have my own opinions about hunting in windy conditions 15-20 MPH plus...what are your experiences and opinions and what did you guys experience Saturday if you hunted?? In the past, I would probably sit out a 15/20 MPH plus day....but due to family obligations, I have less and less time to hunt so I might hunt a windy day just because it is the only day of the week I can get out. Still cool to get out and experience creation.

23-Oct-16
Get out of the stand and still hunt.

23-Oct-16
I hunted in it but try to keep shots very close,passed on a small doe but most deer were not moving much as they fed,deer are usually more skidish as they feed.Did see 2 small bucks sparring at dusk.

23-Oct-16
Go low and do not plan on seeing anything until the last hour. Worked for me yesterday.

23-Oct-16
Tend to agree with Art. Unfortunately it didn't work for me yesterday.

23-Oct-16
We were in Center Co. for the weekend. Normally, I would not expect to see many, if any deer with the wind gusts. That said, we were hunting a hollow that was semi protected from the wind AND that's where the deer were. Both Patty and I had multiple doe around us, and both of us saw the same spike and nice 8. Just nothing presented us with a descent shot. 8 pt was definitely on the move and he did respond to my grunt, but with the "wind" all deer were a bit skiddish.

23-Oct-16
What did you get, Art?

23-Oct-16
I spent 12 hours in a stand near a known bedding area. While the winds never approached what the weatherman said, it was still windy. I had deer moving all day once the rain stopped. Saw 7 buck and 9 doe. Ended up taking a mature doe near the end of day. I think that time of the year plays into it. When you have a doe with multiple bucks on her, she is moving regardless of wind. Skittish for sure, but moving.

23-Oct-16
Jen, a big bodied 130 class 9 point. Anyone can pm me their e.mail address and I will send a pic.

24-Oct-16
Hunted one of my stands until 8:30, it was swaying and rocking, it would have been difficult hitting anything in that situation. Got down and still hunted into the wind the best that I could. About 9:30 stepped over a large dead fall and spotted a big, I mean big buck about 75 yard away. Took me about 40 minutes to stalk to within 40 yards, wind swirled, he caught my sent and didn't immanently blow out but now knew I saw there. Snorted gave a few hoof stamps then turned and ran 30 more yards away. His head was behind a tree so tried moving, mistake, he was out of there. I thought what the hell lets give a few grunts, he didn't stop. In frustration I set my bow down and sat on the ground staring in the direction he disappear. Lifted my binoculars to see if I could catch a glimpse of him, nothing. What an adrenaline rush! Sitting on my ass I though ok get your ass up, out of the corner of my eye I see a deer, I turn slowly to see a big wide 8 point, he has no idea I am there. He is in some thick stuff and my bow is three feet away on the ground, I am kneeling. He get behind a big ass oak so I pick up my bow and draw. I think he is going to step out on the old logging trail I am on and that will be that, another wall hanger for Uncle Buck! But no he turns and walks calmly away not presenting me with a shot! Oh well still a great morning, will be burnt in my hunting memories for ever.

24-Oct-16
Yes sir that was an exciting story. I have taken one young doe while hunting on the ground in windy conditions. Spot and stalk does provide an alternative.

24-Oct-16
Congrats Art.

Windy today still. I saw a spike and four does today, stillhunting. Not quite selfbow range. Found 6 sheepshead. Brought home some osage oranges.

24-Oct-16

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Just a friendly reminder...wind don't care about your personal safety, and a safety harness wouldn't have helped. Hunt safe my friends! :-)

24-Oct-16
Congratulations Art!

24-Oct-16
No hogs tho.

25-Oct-16
Was out for about 5 hours 2 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon in 3D in Pike County...the wind and misting rain in the morning were substantial did not see any deer. After I heard a big tree fall, I climbed down and waited for the afternoon. Went to another area in the afternoon and the wind had calmed down slightly. Saw 2 Doe and a Small buck...I don't really enjoy being out in a tree stand in heavy wind, but to walk through the woods and stalking it can be enjoyable.

26-Oct-16
Those are good days to hit uncut corn fields

04-Nov-16
I usually just take my grandson fishin" on the windward side for big panfish:) Have hunted windy conditions on ocassion successfully, now prefer to do somethin else autumn has to offer....

• Sitka Gear