Willert88 23-Oct-16
Tweed 23-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 23-Oct-16
GoJakesGo 24-Oct-16
Willert88 24-Oct-16
FiveRs 24-Oct-16
Sidekick 24-Oct-16
23-Oct-16
I only hunt public land due to not having access to private land. The area I will be hunting this year Eau Claire/Clark county forest seems like it has ATV trails running every where! I know the best option would be getting away from any trails and other hunters, I just can't see (on the map) where I can get away from the trails as they zig zag through the entire forest it appears. Does anyone have any tips on hunting a woods that is filled with ATV trails and heavy traffic?

23-Oct-16
Not too familiar with that part, but maybe try looking at Google Earth. I would think you should be able to see the trails?

23-Oct-16
I have been map scouting and it shows and abundant of trails running through the forest. I am going to get out tonight for the first time this year and do some scouting/hunting. I am unfamiliar with this area as well, just judging off my map recon it seem like there are trails everywhere and no way to really get a good distance away from them. I guess I was spoiled growing up and hunting in northern WI where you could walk for miles and not run into a trail or logging road lol.

23-Oct-16
Don't be alarmed with the trails. You'll have the woods to yourself. I wouldn't say they are all over either. Maybe to you, being from the north! Lol.

23-Oct-16
Haha thanks Noc, I am just going off what I saw on the map. I am hoping once I get out and walk around i will feel more comfortable. Just nervous I won't be able to get away from the traffic. Deep breaths it will be OK lol.

23-Oct-16
Hunt them! This time of year the atv traffic will slow due to the temps. Many trails also close for the year on Nov 1st. I sit near swamp areas with atv bridges or find creeks with culverts. Deer take the easy road and these can be easy pinch points. The trails also make silent entry possible with minimal scent.

23-Oct-16
Another random question can you drive a vehicle down these county forest roads? I don't know if they are for Atv only or if I can drive down the main roads?

23-Oct-16
Theres usually signs and in my experience more ofteb than not the roads/trails will prohibit atv's.

23-Oct-16
Yes you can! Unless they are gated.

24-Oct-16
Yes you can drive on them. More often than not atvs will be prohibited but not vehicles. As long as its not marked, burmed, or gated they are open to traffic.

24-Oct-16
Thanks guys!

24-Oct-16
The ATV's will bother you more than the deer, the deer hear them all summer. As long as the ATV doesn't stop, the deer will be unaffected by the traffic.

24-Oct-16
1st make sure you know the difference between an ATV trail & route. The trails are for ATV/UTV travel and not cars or trucks. ATV routes are public roads where ATV's are allowed to operate. Stop by any ATV dealer in the EC Chip. Falls area & pick up the free trail map for EC & Clark counties. When my wife & I owned ATVs we used to see plenty of deer along the trails, most just watched us ride by. Park along a county road & hike in a 1/4 mile along an ATV trail until you find a deer trail crossing, follow it a hundred yards & set up. You might even get help getting your buck out of the woods.

• Sitka Gear