Contributors to this thread:
WoundChannel 24-Oct-16
Nocturnal8 24-Oct-16
LilZim 24-Oct-16
Bucky452 24-Oct-16
LilZim 24-Oct-16
Per48R 24-Oct-16
24-Oct-16
Saw my first 2 deer on public land friday night. 2 does came through some brush and kept on a straight path out of site at about 60 yards. Saturday night i set up in the area they passed through, figuring they might have been bedded down and used a trail to get to a food location at the same time each night. However i saw no activity, so my assumption was wrong or just didn't work out that night. A lot of pressure in the woods on Saturday maybe had something to do with it. Wasn't able to get out Sunday. None the less it was awesome to experience my first deer sighting.

24-Oct-16
Very nice! That's what it's all about. Putting the puzzle together and coming out successful is what it's about. Stay positive and stay persistent. 10 seconds can make a whole season. Good luck on your journey this year. Best has yet arrived.

24-Oct-16
WC, it's taken me, my brother, and nephew 20+ years to figure out hunting the public land of Price County. There will be frustration along with exhilaration, but as I've come to find out, there is no bad time spent out in the woods!

One piece of advice though, you gotta be willing to go the extra mile, in some cases literally, to find untouched areas. I've marked off my walk with different devices and my walk along the main logging trail is over a mile, and another 1/3 mile through the woods to get to an area we've finally been able to narrow down as a main travel area for the deer. Now I see lots of deer and know what times they are walking through. Takes time and lots of scouting!

Good luck!

24-Oct-16
Lil, We're still trying to figure out private land hunting of Price County after 20+ years. It's been a little frustrating so far this year but definitely worth it nonetheless.

24-Oct-16
hunting the public land north of Solberg lake in Phillips is tough, because of the baiting, and the logging! Had my stand ready to go last year only to find out the entire area I hunted had been clear cut! I don't think i'll have to deal with the logging this year, but if I shoot something as far back as I am this year, the drag will damn near kill me! Hopefully in the next few years my brother and I will be buying some land f the right parcel comes up for sale.

24-Oct-16
Deer are very happy to spend an extra 30 minutes bedded if they know hunters are in the area. They also will avoid an area that smells like someone was there recently. So change your stand location and go in deeper if you are no longer seeing deer. Or do the opposite, hunt closer to people traffic or houses. If your a new hunter, you should really spend time going to different areas. Spending a lot of time with binoculars. Those binos can show you much faster what is in the area, then without binos. Hunting public land is different. Some spots are hot, then turn cold, you never know why. You just have to move around until you are in the right spot at the right time.

• Sitka Gear