Adirondack hunters
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Bayhawks24 24-Oct-16
Squash 24-Oct-16
wildan 26-Oct-16
Bayhawks24 28-Oct-16
24-Oct-16
Good afternoon all, After not being able to hunt so far this month, I'll be getting my first taste of action in the northern zone, specifically 5h, this week. (Gun, not bow). Our place backs up to thousands of acres of public land. We just haven't gotten a chance to get up there prior to opening day this past weekend to put up cameras and set up tree stands. Heard it Snowed? Can anyone who hunts the Adirondacks tell me how the hunting has been? Have they been moving early or later? Is it to early for doe-in-estrous pee? Is the Rut close? Unfortunately we have a 5 hour drive making it difficult to be up there all the time to scout and pattern deer. Any comments are helpful. Thanks and good luck hunting!

24-Oct-16
Hunting has been slow. Opening weekend was a heavy rain event. Deer population still low, need several more easy winters for the herds to rebound. Still deer out there but as usual in 5H and other ADK and Tug Hill Units, hunting is tough if you are looking for a quality buck. I've been seeing plenty of scrapes, but bucks are hard wired to make scrapes this time of year. Most scrapes are made willy nilly. With screwed sex ratios in the NZ, bucks return to only a very few primary scrapes, and sometimes not even to them. Snow is a great help but it didn't amount to much and is gone by now. Nov. is almost here, hope for temps below 40 degrees,and that's the time to be hunting in the ADK's.

26-Oct-16
Not the Adirondacks but close;the St.Lawrence River Valley.We have been seeing lots of small bucks during daylight but the big boys are still nocturnal.We saw four rack bucks together feeding in a soybean field on 10/25/16.The should be breaking up soon.

28-Oct-16
Thanks all for the input. I'm up here now. Got about 6" of snow last night but half of it thawed today... tons of apples still on the trees. Just seeing a mature doe with her two doe fawns at night on the camara. No rubs scrapes or daytime activity from bucks. Thought the mid 20s and snow may have jump started them but still guessing the rut is a week away. My last day in the northern zone is tomorrow then it's south to the Catskills for bow. Hope to have better luck there next week! Happy hunting!

• Sitka Gear