onX Maps
Eastern PA Deer Hunting
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
dgildy 30-Oct-16
DanWesson357 30-Oct-16
swiggy 01-Nov-16
30-Oct-16
Hi all, After 11 years of living outside Pittsburgh (Murrysville), I may be moving to the Lancaster area next spring. Can anyone give me an idea what the hunting is like over there - in terms of deer population and access to hunting areas?

I have been able to hunt here in park programs and in the woods behind my house, as well as a few other private properties from people I met through work or church. How is it around Lancaster.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

30-Oct-16
I would suggest that you attend the UBP 5C Doe Hunt. It would be a great place to start your season and possibly make some bowhunting contacts. I would also suggest finding a local archery or shooting club, many of them allow hunting on their land especially if you volunteer your time at the club. Plenty of public land, state game lands, state parks, etc. Private land is always going to be difficult. You should start early and maybe offer to help or hunt groundhogs or figure out some other way you might help out in exchange for permission to hunt. I am not all the way to Lancaster but I am close and there are a lot of bow hunters out this way. The Bow Hunting is excellent but access to private property is just as challenging as hunting a mature buck.

01-Nov-16
I always found that Furnace Hills in Lancaster/Lebanon area a real challenge.

• Sitka Gear