GetEmDrake 18-Dec-16
Scooby-doo 19-Dec-16
Scooby-doo 21-Dec-16
hammer 22-Dec-16
T Mac 24-Dec-16
bow shot 28-Dec-16
hammer 03-Jan-17
31-Oct-16
I was out yesterday morning in 1C and saw 3 bucks trailing a doe. I have not seen or heard any sparring or chasing. I would think she is about to go into heat but the big buck was not chasing away the 2 littler ones yet.

31-Oct-16
seeing nothing, cameras show nighttime is still the time for movement, I did find a nice scrape today, I don't usually see anything until November, hope things pick up after the warm spell this week. Acorns are all over the place, the can feed anyplace and anytime.

31-Oct-16
My trail cameras were not showing any big bucks in daylight either..... all night time pictures. I'm really hoping or action on explode towards the end of this week.

31-Oct-16
Saw several doe feeding in field tonight , but no bucks harassing them.

01-Nov-16
I'm in 7R, I think our pre-rut is in full swing. Tons of scrapes, haven't seen as many rubs. Bumped a doe with a younger buck earlier this week. Then my buck came into a grunt call and they had tore up all the scrapes on Wednesday. Also have video of two small bucks sparing on my camera from Friday. It has been way colder than the forecast said it was going to be. Pulling cards today from new places and I'll report back, but things are moving quickly here. Saw does out on fields at 10am yesterday.

01-Nov-16
Catskill mountains 3a lots of scrapes some rubs no chasing yet ,cold front coming this weekend should heat thing up ready for all day sit.Good luck hunt safe

01-Nov-16
I had 5 doe on one side of a trail at home and 3 on the other side of it all day long, I was out there cutting firewood and they could not care less, most did not even get up to look at where I was cutting, only 50 yards from them, no bucks in the bunch.

01-Nov-16

Greenman40's embedded Photo
Had a great year bow hunting! I'm all done due to work and lack of vacation. I didn't hesitate when this fat boy showed up. He was solo just walking. I had some scent put and it was just enough to draw him in. 163 lbs dressed and his tarsal glands were reeking. Saw a few long distance bucks chasing or with does. I have 2 in the freezer and still have gun season. This weekend is gonna be hot!

01-Nov-16

01-Nov-16

02-Nov-16

Bwhntr34's embedded Photo
Bwhntr34's embedded Photo
I have not seen any real rutting activity in 3m but I got this guy yesterday.he does not smell one bit,not ready to rut at all. He came into a spike rubbing a tree!

02-Nov-16
Congrats nice .

02-Nov-16
Lots if small bucks wandering around and harrassing does Tuesday morning. I think the cold stirred them up a bit. Saw 2 different sparring sessions as well. I have seen nothing since it warmed up. No scrapes yet either. I am in 4k and 4j

03-Nov-16
Seen does all week a couple bucks. One tonight was seeking phase. 8h

04-Nov-16
Congrats on the successes, mates!! 7H: Commitments have keep me grounded till today. My area has been hit hard over the years with nuisance permits, so numbers are way bow over the last 3 years (been hunting this are 30+ years, I know what I should be seeing after good winters and bad). That said there are a few fresh, hot scrapes on one of the logging trails, and I saw a couple fawns today running from something. hunted dark till 11:00.

05-Nov-16
Saw 2 bucks tonight, and the 4 pt walks right under the tree. Real shooter but 60 yds away. Their seeking does and it was pretty windy tonight.

05-Nov-16
I have property in 7M and 7J. I've never stopped on the way home from work more than I have this year. Last night 2 really good bucks of Rt20 in Nelson duking it out! Saw the same last week on the opposite side of the road. Lot's of singles cruising all times of the day. Saw a "HUGE" buck right by Morrisville highschool with a doe! Not once but 3 times between 7 and 730am. Posted property can't touch it.

06-Nov-16
last weekend the 3 bucks were trailing a doe but this week haven't seen much seeking and this week young bucks have been just walking and feeding....I thought it would break wide open any day....maybe this week we'll see

06-Nov-16
yeah I agree this week should really elevate daytime activity, its time....Tom

06-Nov-16
I believe it's about to pop.

07-Nov-16
7H Sat 11-05: Dark till 11:00: 110-ish 8pt. walked by, couldn't get him to stop. He left fresh scrapes behind, saw zero other deer. 3:00 till dark: 3 young buck at last half hour of light. Hitting apples HARD, never seen them go after them like this before, VERY unusual. 11-06 Sun: Evening: Neighbor shot a monster that ran off a young buck that was harassing a doe (evening). I didn't go. 11:07 Mon: Dark till 11:00: one young buck. Zero otherwise. Heading back out soon!

07-Nov-16
7H Mon 11:07, 2:00 - DarK: Zero sightings. One tiny, solitary fresh scrape

07-Nov-16
Just walked in from afternoon sit in unit 1C..Had non stop action with bucks of every size either following does or looking for one that wasnt taken.Counted 9 total! ...Good luck to all..Mike

09-Nov-16
7M and 7P are the areas that I spend the majority of my time in, and the numbers are down ( Due to the Winter prior?). Just talking with fellow hunter's they're not seeing much either like they're accustomed to. Now that the rut is gaining momentum they'll be on their feet, and the weather really hasn't helped much either, being warmer than usual. Took this week off, few honey do chores today then I'm going to still hunt this morning, through state land. Then get more "tree-stand-butt" this afternoon as the hunting weather is rolling in. Best of luck Arrwknkr82

09-Nov-16
arrwkncker82 I hunt in Chenango Co. opening weekend of rifle. My one weekend a year when I take the rifle for a walk, never shot anything but enjoy the camaraderie at Deer Camp....we are in Guilford. Are you near there?

09-Nov-16
Things in 6N are as poor as last season. Dam few deer. I'm a Forester and the company I work for, leases 30,000 acres on Tug Hill to 15 hunt clubs. I was in the woods all day Sunday, and not one shot all day anywhere.

09-Nov-16
Things in 6N are as poor as last season. Dam few deer. I'm a Forester and the company I work for, leases 30,000 acres on Tug Hill to 15 hunt clubs. I was in the woods all day Sunday, and not one shot all day anywhere.

09-Nov-16

tcosmic's embedded Photo
tcosmic's embedded Photo
Pasted on a 4pt. and a 6pt. right underneath my stand. 20 minutes later a buck crashed from the thicket chasing a doe in the open hardwoods. She circled 4 times trying to ditch him. The 4th time brought him by my stand at 25 yds. They were hauling ass. I drew the bow and bleated loud using my voice and the 9 pt. hit the breaks for the last time. Watched him tip over 45 yds. away.

09-Nov-16
Had a FAT four point walk down my driveway, nose to ground following a doe that had just walked past. He is not legal in my area, but nice to see.

10-Nov-16

Somersbow's embedded Photo
Somersbow's embedded Photo
Grunted this 7 point in yesterday at 1:30pm. He was walking over a hilltop 70 yards away and turned on a dime to investigate. Bucks were harassing does all day. 28 yards shot and he went 80 yards.

10-Nov-16
Good bucks tcosmic and Somers bow. The only bucks I've had respond to the call were juveniles.

10-Nov-16
Hunted down in Canisteo last weekend and saw some nice bucks chasing, nothing got close enough but it seemed to be heating up quickly. One of the bucks was drooling and really dogging a doe then actually mounted her in front of another guy at camp. Hunted Colden Monday and had a real nice 8 chasing a doe and a fawn, couldn't stop him and he seemed really intent on getting some! Should be a good weekend coming up, good luck fellas!

11-Nov-16
7H Fri 11-11, 2:00 - Dark. Zip. Crazy wind though.

12-Nov-16
1c had a small 6 seeking with his nose to the ground and then chasing a doe all around but did not see any big boys tonight....lockdown happening I would believe you just need to be in the right area at right time

13-Nov-16
7H 11-12 AM: Two buttons wandering like they just got kicked out of their home, one young 8pt on a deliberate walk. PM: Zip.

13-Nov-16
Have been in the woods from 10/28 to 11/04, then each weekend since. Saw only 6 does and two bucks. No shots. Hunting public land in 8S, obviously not very well. Deer on the cameras early and along the roadside, but when the food was gone (acorns/apples), they quickly moved on and stands quickly went dead. Deer seemed scarce this year. Was hoping for larger numbers with the mild winter. This morning was last hunt. Time to pack up and think about next year.

14-Nov-16
7H 11-14 morning: Still cold as ice

14-Nov-16

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
This is the only thing I saw today.... right over the house we are staying in in Albuquerque.

15-Nov-16
Activity seemed to pick up last Sunday. Saw a few young bucks harassing does again, no really big bucks on the prowl......... At least not in my spot that I saw.

15-Nov-16
Where I hunt...Region 8 near Lake Ontario...it had been very slow until last week. We had seen a few young bucks pestering doe like they do but no real chasing or such, and no big bucks. Then things really picked up about the 6th or 7th and we started seeing some larger bucks plus grunting and chasing. My buddy and I both shot two year olds...his (9 pt. 150 FD) on the 8th, mine (8 pt. 160 FD) the 13th.

15-Nov-16
I've gotten some solo bucks on camera. Haven't seen any chasing since last week.

15-Nov-16
Had a field full of doe/fawns last night and saw a bunch more tonight, not a buck in sight. Scrapes and new rubs still appearing, but no daytime activity here in 7F

15-Nov-16
I saw the same on the way home in 7M. Had a small buck almost sideswipe me. Doe's in numbers feeding Makes you wonder.

16-Nov-16

This guy is at a deer processer in East Syracuse. I'm assuming it was shot around the area. Still a monster

16-Nov-16
Hit by a car.

16-Nov-16

Buckstopshere 's embedded Photo
Buckstopshere 's embedded Photo
Here in Allegany County, the rut is peaking as it always does, at the same time, a week after the second full moon after the Autumnal Equinox. Just not the same time on our solar calendars. Arrowed this rutting buck. Nothing like the excitement late in the afternoon, after watching him chase a tiny doe. Two other scrub bucks were running with him. He was doing the grunting. Took the same stand in the late afternoon. He came trotting in at 4:30. I grunted at him, but the leaves were so noisy, he couldn't hear. I grunted again, loud. He stopped at 15 yards broadside. Spinned him. He dropped. One of the biggest deer I have killed, but then I'm getting older. A long slow drag...into the night out of the woods. Everything I could do to put him in the truck. I almost hope, my next buck....nahhhh.

16-Nov-16
Great buck and story Buckstopshere! Sat all day in 7R to try and get a meat doe and do some scouting for this weekend., saw does cross at 8:30 too far away. Then two more came out to the field at 10:30. Had three deer, I think does and a small buck move through at 1:30PM. Then a decent 8 at 3:30PM. Seem to be moving all day!

16-Nov-16
Good deer Buckstopshere! Exciting story too! Tonight is my last night in Albuquerque.... we fly out at 5:00pm and arrive in Buffalo a little after midnight. I'm going to try to hunt Friday morning if possible. Seeing these bucks has got me excited!

16-Nov-16
They claim the hawg buck was hit by a hunters car coming home from hunting. We'll see it around for awhile.

17-Nov-16
Awesome Oak!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

Cameras that I have had set up over scrapes and licking branches were completely dead for about a week or so. I went to pull cards last night and noticed the scrapes are all freshened up. They are hitting scrapes again here on the Island.......... Must be getting ready to ramp up again.

17-Nov-16
They were talking about the hawg on the radio this morning. A guy from Fabius hit it with his truck in the town of Manlius. He was coming back from hunting up north.

17-Nov-16
I was in a stand most of the day yesterday in 1C and saw a doe and 2 fawns and a couple young bucks just feeding on acorns....scrapes were covered in leaves.....it was unusually quiet in the deer woods....

17-Nov-16
Saw a fresh scape today.

17-Nov-16
Thanks guys. Charlie: same here. The high point of the scrape visiting ended about a week ago according to my cams. Now the bucks are more interested in the girls...but I have had a spike in visits by does and button bucks to my licking branch scrapes, and of course a few little guys. But the big boys are after the real thing now. ;0) At least up here in Allegany County.

17-Nov-16
Spent 6 hrs in unit 1C today...lots of swirling wind..! Had a doe and a spike run by around 1130 and around 330 did a little bleat calling and got the attention of a real nice 8pt that just wouldn't commit..circled around for a while and decided to leave..found a few fresh scrapes as well..good luck to all

18-Nov-16
Wow, congrats on the new bucks!!

7H 11-14 dark till 9:30: group of 6 doe, two moms and 4 kids, heading through the thickets and swale to bed at 7:30, calm as could be.

19-Nov-16
7H 11-19 dark till 11:00, then 2:00 till dark.Some booming throughout the day, not much. Had a spike run past my stand, and saw a doe booking it in the distance. That was it for the day. Scrapes are cold, but the oaks shed the majority of their leaves in a hurry over the last 3 days, so if they were freshened (I'm sure that's over for a while) they were covered right up deep.

20-Nov-16

Mad dog's embedded Photo
Good eatin
Mad dog's embedded Photo
Good eatin
Yet to get a buck with the bow, but very happy with these two does I nailed within 5 minutes of each other. One at 13 yds. 2nd one at 30. It's a big deal for me cuz I've only been back bow hunting hardcore for last three seasons. These are only my 5 & 6th deer ever, 3rd and forth with bow. My daily practice since March paid off. Wire made a fine Bavarian Ragout over spaetzle with back straps. Back in stand today..very windy. Mad Dog

20-Nov-16

Never caught this guy on camera but good enough for me! 7M, running solo, looking for a place to hide,

20-Nov-16
Congrats folks! Great to see the successes!

21-Nov-16

arrowknocker82's Link
Ain't hunting awesome!!?? Here's the story behind that big Rt. 173 buck..

21-Nov-16
I hunt in 6C and 6H. I own 114 acres in 6C that I do most of my hunting in. I have hunted about 18-20 times here in NY and out of all my times out, have only seen a doe with two fawns, and then another time saw a doe. I only have small bucks and does on game cameras. After the crazy long gun and ML seasons we have up here, I am thinking I am just going to quit hunting up here. At least for the year. Hopefully a couple deer will manage to slip past the guns and survive the Winter to get a little bigger. I have been holding out for a buck of 8pts or better and outside the ears. That was my standard when I was stationed down in NC, and if I could do it with the little deer down there, I should be able to do that up here. Anyhow, thank God for the lease I am in on out in Ohio. They actually have a deer management plan, as opposed to NY where they have a deer DECimation plan. For the past couple weeks I have been hunting out there, and after doing that, am wondering what possessed me to retire up here once I got out of the Army.... Maybe it was the low taxes and liberal gun laws. LOL

23-Nov-16

GetEmDrake's embedded Photo
Hey All, My brother and I sat all day Saturday and Sunday trying to get him his first antlered deer. We saw nothing! Heard only a few shots in Dryden. I thought we were in a pretty good area, but the same thing happened to me last year....after October something moves the deer off this hillside. Even though I know there's more pressure around us. Anyways, saw a lot more deer Tuesday driving around. Bucks with does out in the fields at noon. Hopefully it picks up for everyone with some more agreeable weather! However just to show you it's all about location location location the deer in the pic was shot near us, I think Sunday, I got it second hand through a friend. Guess they've been after him for 4 years, sheds and all. What a stud!

25-Nov-16
I'm seeing 3 feet of snow and deer heading to the winter yards.

25-Nov-16
Nice!

27-Nov-16
Folks you should be hunting mid-day now. The moon is going dark and the deer are moving best mid-day. I am also starting to see the bigger bucks out searching(seeking)again as the doe fawns may be coming in and there may be some left over older does. I missed the best part of the rut here as I was in Kansas for 3 weeks. I think starting a in a week or so we will see some rutting activity. First week of Dec. should be good hunting. Shawn

28-Nov-16
Saw 19 different deer between 11 and 130 today. 5 bucks, I have not seen a deer since other then the 5 does and big 8pt bedded about 150 yds away. They bedded at 115 and other then stand up and bed back down have not moved since. It is now 314 . Hoping for some movement right before dark - thirty with the,rain coming in. Shawn

02-Dec-16
I guess it's save to say that the 2nd rut is happening now ? It seems like the first one was less obvious...Tom

02-Dec-16
I believe it is starting now. I have seen bucks bumping does everytime out. I have also seen some scrapes opening up again. I think next week will show quite a bit of rutting activity. Shawn

05-Dec-16
7H Sat 12-03: dark till 11:00am: zip. 2:00 - dark: 4 doe, 4 fawns. Finally, LOL!!!

05-Dec-16
7H Mon 12-05: dark till 11:00am: zip

05-Dec-16
I went this morning to a new 10 acre woodlot that I don't think has been hunted in years. Had a small 6 or 8 come up right at dawn. Passed him, he'll be a beauty in a year or two if he makes it. Then I saw nothing till 10am when I climbed down I checked the fields and does were still feeding so I climbed back in my stand. At 10:30 I watched two basket racks cruising in the river bottom. They weren't feeding, just trying to navigate around the pond and cruising the river edge. I imagine they were feeling a little rutty? Nothing from then on till noon. Never saw the does come through. Video is up on my instagram OnTheHoofTV

05-Dec-16
7H Mon 12-05: 2:00 till dark: 3 doe, killed one. Gotta have some venison, but it won't be the usual 3 -5 in the freezer this year. I'll only kill another one if its a whopper, too few left on my block.

Neighbor is hunting a new spot about 10 minuets away, seeing tons of deer; 30 this evening, and he passed up a 130-ish (they are doing rifle right now...).

08-Dec-16
Pat, are those half way easy to set-up? I have verizon... do you like it? Glad you left him for another day, you had a great season. I have mom and 2 button bucks, these 2 little guys love to beat up on each other they get all feisty cuz mom shut them off!

08-Dec-16
Just got back from a 6hr sit in unit 1C..Very slow until 1530hrs.Lots of does popping up and the wind started to swirl..NG..Did have the pleasure of lending a hand to a hunter that was luckier than myself, who tagged a nice buck and needed help getting it to truck..Good luck to all still at it..Mike

13-Dec-16

Here in 7R I think we have come out of lockdown per trail camera pictures. 8 days ago I had probably a 3.5 yo buck trailing a doe hard on camera. Then I have bucks showing up alone just after dark. I did have 400 pictures mostly does up an hour after sunrise and on their feet an hour before sunset. Should be an interesting final week to the season down here! Bring on the cold!

13-Dec-16
Sat from 11 til dark and saw nothing in unit 1C ..First time all season that the woods were empty. Where they all go ?

14-Dec-16
Saw 19 does and 3 small bucks yesterday in 4J. One shooter but he never came closer then 55 yards. A buddy killed a 9pt Monday afternoon about 400 yards from the property I hunt. The doe fawns are in heat right now and if you get on a hot one the action has been very good. Scooby

17-Dec-16
My buddy killed 129" gross 8pt. yesterday afternoon in 4J. He saw 15 does and 3 bucks. All the bucks were shooters(3.5 year olds or older). He was hunting just outside a bedding area and was waiting for them to head to a fresh cut corn filed about 200 yds away. Scooby

17-Dec-16
Hey Scoob, pretty sure we have tge same buddy. Lol he had one heck of a hunt. Ask him about the owl.

18-Dec-16

Thats a side by side of two photos to give some perspective.
Thats a side by side of two photos to give some perspective.
One more sit tomorrow in Dryden 7R. Bumped 3 does walking in today. Snow was very loud and they were out at 2:00PM. Been seeing some small bucks on camera smelling the doe trails. Finally caught this new buck on camera. I'm convinced a doe or two in the area is hot. Also found an active rub.

19-Dec-16
Saw 3 bucks this afternoon, chose the wrong stand. All 3 walked under one of my other stands 80 yds away. One doe fawn passed through there earlier and I believe she was in heat as all these bucks were on her trail. Nose to the ground and grunting every other step. Shawn

21-Dec-16
Sat yesterday from 1 til dark in 4J. I saw at least 30 deer, 5 of which were bucks. The farm I hunt planted a mixture of radishes and turnips mixed in with winter wheat to help with the ground break up nest spring. The deer were in it heavy. I had one shooter at 55 yards but that is too far for this old man. It was a great sit but I had to settle in on the ground in a hedgerow as there were at least 10 deer in the fields already on my arrival and I could not get close to a stand. I also counted another 30 deer on my ride home all within 1/2 mile of where I sat, gonna be too many deer next year. Scooby

22-Dec-16
Did an afternoon sit yesterday in unit 1C and had plenty of action.. Saw 4 spikes all pushing does around..Did a little grunt calling and was surprised how fast a decent buck responded. He ran in full stride to 15yrds and held up looking. Never turned broadside and eventually turned and trotted away .Weird antlers on him.One side had a foot long spike with a small crown on top and other side he had a small cluster of 5 or 6 points..Good luck to all still at it..Mike

24-Dec-16
I was out in 1c yesterday afternoon and saw deer moving. Tried a bit of calling and no one was interested. Had a fawn 25 yards out as light was fading and would not present a shot as the raccoon climbing on deadfall behind me had it stopped in its tracks.

28-Dec-16
7H (sorry, late to class). Saw zero the last 3 days of late season, eveing and mornings. Too many chores, really wanted to do full days, but NG.

03-Jan-17
Hunted yesterday morning. 01/02 Unit 1C....Beautiful morning.No wind and 35deg .Very slow.One doe w her fawns...Good luck to anyone still at it.Mike

• Sitka Gear