JayD 06-Nov-16
Ron Miller 07-Nov-16
gobbler 07-Nov-16
Ron Miller 07-Nov-16
gobbler 07-Nov-16
gobbler 07-Nov-16
gobbler 07-Nov-16
04-Nov-16
Hey guys, I hate to see this site so dead.

Just wondering how everyone's season is going? Been out much in these warmer temps? Getting any daylight pics of bucks or better yet, seeing any daytime movement? I have hunted only 3 days so far and only one of those was morning and evening. Saw at least one each sit. Still nothing in bow range though. Also, Gobbler, have you had a chance to get out on your new KY lease any? Are you seeing any mature deer on your WV farm this year?

04-Nov-16
Going there this week . On farm I've got several 8s and a 9. I think 1 of the 8s is 4.5 and a few 3.5s. All seem to be 110-120. I think the mast failure last year hurt antler growth this year . I might take the 4.5 if I get a chance, he's been nocturnal so far. Probably will let others walk and just hope they make it thru season .

04-Nov-16
I am not hunting my new piece of ground for a couple years., been out but can't find the spike I need. Will be year 22 if I can get a spike. Hunting my other piece of property. Letting my caretaker kill some does but I'm not going to kill any bucks for a couple years., have all the foodplots in and doing well. Going to Iowa now.

04-Nov-16
Good luck!

04-Nov-16
Good luck in KY. Keep us posted on how it is going. I agree on the mast failure affecting antler size this year. Hopefully those 3.5 year olds can make it another year. JR, you own ground in Iowa or have access to other private ground?

05-Nov-16
I only have 99 acres

05-Nov-16
Good luck on your trip. Be sure and let us know how it goes. Have you killed on that ground in the past? Does owning ground give you any kind of advantage when drawing tags over other non residents?

05-Nov-16
I haven't hunted much until this week. I have saw good numbers of deer but no big ones. Last two days I have saw 2 coyote 2 dogs and 4 deer. I have some other things I need to do so the first 3 yr old that comes by better watch out ... haha.

05-Nov-16
In Iowa a NR landowner has to participate in the draw just like all NR. There was some talk a couple of years ago about NR landowners getting some type of preference but I haven't heard anymore about it. I've got 3 pts again and will probably be taking another trip soon. From what I hear deer numbers seem to be increasing from the EHD breakout 3-4 yrs ago and I think they cancelled the stupid Jan. Doe season.

05-Nov-16

wv_bowhunter's embedded Photo
5-6 yards from the base of the tree quartering to me. Ran about 80 yards.
wv_bowhunter's embedded Photo
5-6 yards from the base of the tree quartering to me. Ran about 80 yards.
Hand an eventful day.. Got a doe this morning and after getting her taken care of I headed back out to hang a stand in preparation for my upcoming vacation. Decided to go ahead and hunt it but was mainly for mornings. Ended up taking a 2.5 year old 7 point. Fun day all around. The best part was that my two little boys (5 and 2) got to go help me get the doe! My dad was there to assist with both deer as always. Great memories for sure.

05-Nov-16
Congrats!!

05-Nov-16

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Temperature and wind was perfect today so I got into a stand for my first time this year this afternoon. Saw several bucks and the 4.5 yr old came by a little after 6 so I went ahead and took him.

05-Nov-16
Pretty buck!! Congrats to you too.

05-Nov-16
Nice bucks Bowhunter and gobbler. And no I dont get any advantage owning land.

06-Nov-16

gcolephone's embedded Photo
gcolephone's embedded Photo
Seen 5 bucks friday evening cruzin lookin for does...this guy gave me a shot at 15 yd arrow deflected off a small branch I didnt see ...got liver and edge of lung...let him go over night and found this...im tagged out on bow tags...so time to head over to ohio to hunt the big boys

06-Nov-16

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
Wow - that stinks but congrats on tagging out! Some nice deer starting to show! Hey gobbler I like the camo pattern of your vest - what is it?

Some luck shined on me as well yesterday! Big doe with no fawns....

06-Nov-16
I've had it so long I don't remember

06-Nov-16
Nice guys. Nice bow JayD

06-Nov-16
I have taken a doe so far, the Bucks started rutting yesterday in my hunting area. Things are starting to happen.

06-Nov-16
LOL Gobbler it's ok I forget a lot of the stuff I bought just last week! JR that is my LaClair Shrew - it barely weighs a pound! I love it. Have not gotten my KT-44 yet that ordered back in the Spring.

06-Nov-16
Gobbler's camo vest looks like Realtree AP but I could be wrong.

06-Nov-16
JD, congrats on the doe! How far away was she. I have always thought shooting instinctive would be fun but I am sure it takes a lot of practice and dedication to become proficient.

06-Nov-16
She was about 22 yards away from me. It is actually the longest shot I have probably taken in about the last 20 years! LOL most of my shots are less than 15 yards. Using a recurve or longbow is just more fun for me. That little bow in the pic weighs about a pound and that is it. I have a compound as well - for whenever my shoulder acts up. I actually have a new recurve on order right now and I am hoping it comes soon! I have several recurves if you would like to try it sometime.... just let me know!

06-Nov-16
Oh I forgot to mention about practicing - I don't practice like I use to but I still love taking the bow for a walk with a couple of arrows with judo points and shooting at leaves or a clump of grass or something - I get bored with shooting at targets. I am pretty deadly out to about 25 yards - I wish I was as good as JR though! I am still amazed at his feat there the other week with all the squirrels! That was some great shooting!!!

07-Nov-16
Congrats to everyone !

Gobbler, how do you know that deer is 4.5 ? Reason I'm asking is I showed the jaw bone and teeth of my buck to a friend to age, he said it's Old ! I said how old, he said you have to take a tooth and cut into it to check growth rings, I'm kinda dumb But do you ? Not that it matters but I would like to know the age of my buck if possible, his teeth sure are worn down,

Thanks, God do bless ya,

Ron

07-Nov-16
Right now I'm guesstimating based on old pictures. I'm going to look at jawbone in next couple of days. I had to get meat taken care of first. QDMA has a good site that shows how to do it. If I can do it I'll try to copy and paste it below.

07-Nov-16
Gobbler, I might bring the jaw to the banquet and let you take a look,

Thanks,

Ron

07-Nov-16
Ok, I can't get it to copy. I'll try again to see if it works

07-Nov-16

gobbler's Link

07-Nov-16
That is a better guide

• Sitka Gear