Flintknocker 09-Nov-16
RC 09-Nov-16
Flintknocker 10-Nov-16
Hoyter2804 10-Nov-16
Jeff Durnell 10-Nov-16
RC 10-Nov-16
Jeff Durnell 10-Nov-16
09-Nov-16
Saturday past, had my real soon eight year old grandson with me. Right out back door almost. He's on the mentored youth program, had his Cricket .22, and was pretty keen on gettin' a shot @ a squirrel or two, and I told him there had been turkeys in there the evening before. He added in that maybe his Papa might get a shot at a deer too. I informed him I wouldn't be taking the bow...one, against the law, two, last thing I wanted to do on his day. Told him what to expect and that I was hoping and praying he might get to see and just watch some deer in prep for what is soon to come:) Just at first gray light I caught a glimpse of a ghost just on our right and squeezed the lad's knee, our pre-arranged signal to freeze. It was the 140-ish eight point I've seen a couple times. He hit a scrape about 25 yards in front of us and turned and walked right under us:) When I whispered to him that the buck had disappeared downstream, he put his face mask up and told me "that was the coolest thing ever". Then he said we should go get breakfast. We did :)

09-Nov-16
Congrats,

I'ved a great year with my grandson also. From seeing the shakes after he missed a doe, to believing he was going to be attacked by a gray squirrel that barked at him after he hit it with a blunt. LOL

09-Nov-16
It's just the best isn't it??? Long as I know good folks are taking kids afield with them I just keep smilin'. Congrats you, and when ya feel yer ready fer a triple fit of smiles....tell him to bring a friend when they're both of age :) If you can steer two sets of overdrive yer a better man than I :) Hoot.

09-Nov-16
Too funny, Ed.. LOL on breakfast...

10-Nov-16
Roy, the kid's only eight, and he gets it ! He'll catch five nice panfish after two hours of prep and drive time, say Papa we have enough, let's go home and cook 'em:)

10-Nov-16
That's great

10-Nov-16
Ed, I feel ya. One of my best hunting memories is the look on my son's face following his first close encounter when he looked up at me as we sat in an old treetop/log blind we constructed, with just his wide amazed eyes visible through the face mask he was wearing. It was long before he was old enough to hunt, but he liked going anyhow. Call of the wild i guess. That seemed like such a long time ago.

10-Nov-16
That seemed like such a long time ago.

It was ya old coot pap pap:)

10-Nov-16
Yeah well, if I'm old, you're dirt.

That's ok bro. I'm glad to have the chance to grow old with ya. Some folks don't get it, so, we're fortunate.

• Sitka Gear