WausauDug 03-Feb-17
Drop Tine 03-Feb-17
Hoot 03-Feb-17
Nocturnal 03-Feb-17
Trapper 03-Feb-17
Hoot 03-Feb-17
Hoot 04-Feb-17
10-Nov-16
I haven't heard much conversation about wolves lately. Not on here or locally. I have been getting occasional trail cam pics, but it's been a few weeks now. I am wondering what others are seeing in different areas. I am in Rusk County.

11-Nov-16
Bayfield county, hunted 6 days morning and evening - not one wolf howl.

11-Nov-16
Must all have moved down to Portage county! :( I've seen 4 this year, kept second guessing the first sighting until I saw the others...

11-Nov-16
Is there a significant difference in the sounds of wolf howls compared to dogs?

In northern Marinette I hear tons of howling. As Im laying in my sleeping bag i tell myself theyre just chained up dogs.

11-Nov-16
There is little chance of mistaking a dog and wolf howl.

11-Nov-16
Hey GRASSFED1, I've also hunted the whole week in Bayfield county and haven't heard any 'large coyotes' howling. There is no shortage of coyotes though! It's nice to see deer moving that are not on pins and needles from fear of being eaten alive! Thanks to the guys that are taking action and controlling the 'large coyote' population!

15-Nov-16
a lot of wolves in Vilas County why I do not know, as far as east of there, well the problem is being addressed, as far as I can see, lots less wolf sign,,,,,,,,, maybe that fat ass Mitch McConnell in the senate, who is holding up the delisting, because he wants two more bridges built in KY, those days are hopefully coming to an end......

I believe they will be delisted in the spring, and with more effective forest management, we will get back on track

15-Nov-16
What does McConnel have to do with Wisconsin wolves? Or bridges with delisting?

15-Nov-16
I can hear coyotes and wolves any given night in my area "Northern Bayfield County" Not hard to find evidence that they are there. You guys that aren't seeing or hearing anything and thinking they have all of a sudden have dispersed or disappeared are living in a wishful fantasy.

16-Nov-16

TrapperJack2's embedded Photo
TrapperJack2's embedded Photo
Have here in Portage Co. Got some on camera plus a few weeks ago I had an encounter with 3 and 2 of them would not back down. Had them at 20 yards and they would not take off even after I yelled and stamped my feet. Had me go to full draw when they finally trotted off. Was not a fun time when you have 1 go to your left and have 2 go to your right and stare u down. That afternoon I did go buy a handgun and now carry it each time out. Here is an earlier picture from that area on one of my bear baits.

16-Nov-16
Tweed, the point is, wolves and the delisting will be controlled by politics, already passed by the House, it is stalled in the Senate..... now with Trump, and the Senate may move on it, next spring, to delist the Great Lake wolves

16-Nov-16
Shawano county is loaded with them. I think the "north" wolves are moving down because of lack of food. More pics than ever and several sightings while bowhunting.

16-Nov-16
I've seen two this season while on stand. One each at different locations in Oneida county. Buddy 5 miles away says he hears lots of them every night in different directions at the same time.

16-Nov-16
I've heard them in Lincoln County and have one on camera in the last year. I'm not against a season on them but consider them part of the forest, and in a way part of the reason I chose to buy wilderness property in the first place.

16-Nov-16

Dampland's embedded Photo
Northern Polk county land owner here, and my wolf sightings have dropped dramatically over the last year. I'm guess the dairy & sheep farmers are doing something about it. "SSS"

I've noticed more coyotes this year on camera than years past.

21-Nov-16
Just heard from a state representative Tammy Baldwin wants wolves delisited in WI. Could be change coming!

22-Nov-16
We hunted in about 3" of snow in northern Bayfield so it was easy to see what was in the area. One area had no predator tracks and the other area 3 miles away that I briefly scouted had wolf tracks. I did hear them at dark several miles in the distance. As of Monday, many hunters mentioned that the gut piles from Saturday were not touched other then from the crows. I also talked to several hunters who agreed the wolves have been less visible lately. Maybe this particular pack is smaller than in previous years or temporarily hunting another portion of their territory. Or this might be wishful thinking like MF has stated.

22-Nov-16
So with all the evidence, efforts and experts supporting the delisting of wolves, including a failed attempt at a Congressional Bill we have been unable to get them delisted but Tammy Baldwin is going to get it done.

I'm skeptical but I say "Go Tammy!"

22-Nov-16
"Tammy has been getting prodded by her Republican friends."

Does her husband know this?

22-Nov-16
Don't you mean wife?

22-Nov-16
Have not seen any in Jackson County for a couple years but prior to my last sighting I saw them quite regularly. Not good for hunting but were stuck with them!

22-Nov-16

Tweed's Link
Baldwin issued a statement Friday saying she voted in 2011 as a Member of Congress to delist wolves, and it’s time to do it again. She says the science supports allowing the states to again manage the wolf population to improve safety for people and animals.

22-Nov-16
You guys should be concerned if you don't hear those wolves....might mean there's no deer.

22-Nov-16

Tweed's Link
Hmmmmm Who would've thunk that Douglas County resident would produce a website like this???

See attached link.

23-Nov-16
Well of course Baldwin now wants wolves delisted.....she's up for re-election.

23-Nov-16
I believe she voted to delist previously.

23-Nov-16
Northern Polk County .... no live wolves sighted thus far, but we did com cross tracks of two wolves running together.

Must be pure coincidence that the local farmers "sight in" their rifles all fall long.

24-Nov-16
even as a Republican I respect Baldwin.... she supports timber industry, and good forest management and delisting of wolves........ yeah old Russ was endorsed by the USHS, that made him dead in the water

24-Nov-16
Tweed, great so see there is some activity among our reps to get wolfs delisted. We all must encourage all of our federal senate and house reps to make it happen.

25-Nov-16
by this time next year the gloves will be off on them sob's

26-Nov-16

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
You don't need to see them to know they are there. This is one of the areas of public land I walked during gun season with 3 days of snow on the ground and found 1 deer track. Thankfully I did not see any wolf track.

02-Feb-17
For fun I posted a question about the wolves possibly being delisted on a forum that I belong to that has a ton of very liberal feel good animal lovers. The type that you would think would oppose hunting and trapping of wolves.

I didn't get much feed back but the little I did said as long as its managed and they're not drive to extinction in the state they'd be fine with it.

Seems like hunting wolves is bi-partisan

02-Feb-17
when the wolfs started killing dogs in peoples yards I think they woke up a little. I li ve north of Hayward- we have to watch our dogs closely in our yard. Last week I went for a walk and had a track 80 yards from our house-a little close. We don't let the dogs out at night. Our neighbor lost a lab in Oct about 3 miles away- in his yard at 2am. Two wolfs had patterned the dog- We need to thin them out a little for sure!

02-Feb-17
Down to the management goal of 350.

02-Feb-17
I've seen more wolf activity around my area than years past. I would hate to guess how many hounds and pets have been killed by wolves that never get reported. I see lost dog posters up all the time, I'm sure most are never found and are killed by wolves. I'm sure hoping for a wolf season this year. I'd like to trap one again.

02-Feb-17
I have 2 points Hoot. Hope the season lasts more than 2 days.

02-Feb-17
"even as a Republican I respect Baldwin...."

She's pretty decent for a Democrat.

02-Feb-17
DT - I had two points when I drew my wolf tag. I started on a Monday and if I remember right it closed on Thursday. Had a wolf the next day. I'll make sure I start on opener next time. I know some that waited and season was closed before they started.

02-Feb-17
as an independent I also like Baldwin, she may be off base on a lot of stuff, but she is pro logging, and is in agreement with the state control over wolves, and a good friend to the dairy farmers,,,,,,,,,, anyway, I hope they are delisted very soon, and I hope our DNR is ready to get a season going, come late fall and early winter......

02-Feb-17

MF's embedded Photo
MF's embedded Photo

03-Feb-17
now thats funny

03-Feb-17
I set out opening morning and by time I got the last trap beded and covered I was pulling them because the season was closed. Seemed that way anyway. Moved to a spot over by Wittenberg where a goat farmer was seeing a couple. Set there and the next night we got 10" of snow. Made it interesting trying to find my sets under the snow and pull them.

03-Feb-17
DT - I hear ya there. I trapped Zone 1 and if that closed before I harvested one I would come back to Zone 3 which was the last to usually close. I was going to go with my friend that hunts hounds. They ended up harvesting 9 wolves between the two groups. FYI - Not a conflict between the hounds and wolves they got.

03-Feb-17
I am hoping for the best when it comes to managing the wolf. Now that the deer season is over. My buddy and I have been putting the smackdown on coyotes. This has been our best season yet. These dogs are getting very territorial. The breeding season is right among us. Anyone thinking about getting out, now is the time to do it..

03-Feb-17

Trapper's Link
http://www.theearthchild.co.za/minnesota-wisconsin-and-wyoming-have-decided-to-eradicate-their-wolves/

More propaganda.

03-Feb-17
Just the words The Earth Child about says all I needed to read. Delusional to say the least.

04-Feb-17
Seeing that demotivational poster of the wolf that ate the groundhog. Can anyone tell me why woodchucks are a protected species except on your own property? I thought I read sometime back the DNR was going to delist them as a protected species statewide.

• Sitka Gear