Jeff in MN 18-Nov-16
Tweed 18-Nov-16
Willert88 18-Nov-16
Dampland 29-Nov-16
Dampland 29-Nov-16
Naz 29-Nov-16
Swampy 29-Nov-16
15-Nov-16
Cold front is coming and high winds maybe even a little snow up north. What are your plans for what looks like a blustery opening weekend? I'll be up north sitting on a south facing slope overlooking a thick pocket of spruce.

15-Nov-16
I'll be in a cedar bedding surrounded by a oak/swamp forest. High winds will make it tough for everyone.. Best of luck to everyone and safe hunting!

15-Nov-16
I'll be out of the tree if it's that windy. Fortunately I set up a ground blind in a hardwood funnel area between a low swampy area and conifers up higher. Using my CVA muzzleloader being I can only see 50 yards at best in this spot.

Good luck, have fun and above all be safe out there.

15-Nov-16
I will be in a funnel between two thick bedding areas in a stand. I have blinds set up for this kind of nasty weather. But I will be putting my handicapped buddy in one and my son in the other. If either one shoots a nice buck or even a doe. It will be as good as if I got one. We are usually very selective opening weekend. But this year I have no venison in the freezer, so any adult deer is fair game. I won't shoot a 1.5 year old buck, but anything over that is in trouble. I'm regretting the 130" 9 and multiple does I let walk in bow season in early Oct. Good luck to all, be safe and have fun. We will be hunting Pierce county.

15-Nov-16

Dampland's embedded Photo
A little easier to see the stand in this photo from last year.
A little easier to see the stand in this photo from last year.
I will be spending opening weekend in my elevated enclosed blind. I hunt the north edge of a ten acre corn field (picked) that is bordered by a huge marsh to the west, an overgrown pasture to the south, a open water marsh to the north, and a hayfield to the east.

I've shot bucks from sunrise to sunset from that location of the last 15 years, but it can be feast or famine type hunting. I'm hoping the lack of acorns has the deer coming out to the field edges a bit earlier in the evening.

This current stand is only 5 years old, prior to than I just had the standard wooden platform built into a tree. The wind coming across the marsh would always windburn and chill me to the bone bad. When a storm to took those trees down in 2011 I decided after hunting 30 years in an uncomfortable wooden platform, that I deserve to build a stand to last the rest of my life. (See it in the background of the picture) It has been nicknamed the "Eiffel Tower" by one of the guys in my group.

15-Nov-16
I'll be in uniform sitting in the pickup drinking a hot beverage congratulating successful hunters. Hopefully I won't be searching for those who have hunting accidents. Enjoy the hunt and stay safe everyone!

15-Nov-16
I will be on a beach chair in the Caribbean celebrating my honeymoon...trust me, it wasn't my idea to book it that week...happy wife, happy life?

15-Nov-16
I'll be in the same stand I bow hunted out of, cause I know brusier is still out there waiting for me.....

15-Nov-16
Drop tine. Soounds very similar to my set up. Too windy head to a good ground blind. Cold is no big deal but trying to shoot 100 yrds out of a blowing tree is next to impossible for me.

15-Nov-16
Made my decision last week to stay on the ground again this year. I will be tucked away in my Double Bull. Safe hunt to all.

15-Nov-16
If it's shitty out I'll be on my warm couch in my warm house rooting for you guys. I'll just keep hitting refresh on bowsite until someone posts a kill. If it's nice I'll be on my stool with my bow hitting refresh on bowsite waiting for one of you guys to post a kill.

15-Nov-16
Permanent ladder type tree stands, will dress for whatever the weather brings us. Just hope we don't get a dose of the massive wet heavy snow we got 2 years ago.

15-Nov-16
my daughter is sick, had to get home,,,,, good luck to everyone

15-Nov-16
Funny Crusader!

15-Nov-16
I'll be working. The land I gun hunt on is 320 wolf filled acres in Rusk Co. I've seen 1 deer in the last 4 seasons that I've hunted there and she was running full speed through the woods. After another day in the bow stand tomorrow (don't have permission to gun hunt there), I'll wait until after gun season.

15-Nov-16
Badger19 you didn't really get married in November did you? I hope this is a delayed honeymoon.

16-Nov-16
In my cozy 3' x 3' blind on top of a 20' ladder stand, in a tamarack tree, in the swamp. At least it hasn't rained for a while so the swamp isn't as wet as it was last year. I have sides around me, but no roof. If it rains I have an umbrella that screws into the tree above me. It will have to be pretty good sized for me to shoot it.

16-Nov-16
Dampland - PM sent

16-Nov-16

TrapperJack2's embedded Photo
TrapperJack2's embedded Photo
Going to be comfy this season in a box blind. Have a heater for the cold days.

16-Nov-16
Stinkbait, what is built on private property is not your business. My, jealousy is an ugly thing.

16-Nov-16
Treegeek, it's a delayed honeymoon. I got married at the end of September...I had enough foresight to avoid having my anniversary during the rut. Although it may cut into some future duck hunting openers...

16-Nov-16
TJ2, you need to finish the camo job before Saturday, deer are going to see those posts and underside of your condo. ;-)

16-Nov-16
Badger19, no sex in February or you'll be in this same mess next year ;)

16-Nov-16
Listen to Wausau Doug. Almost missed a season due to the first child. Just had to change plans and hunt near home. ??

16-Nov-16
I'll be in Montana hunting mule deer.

I have had my fill of WI deer hunting lately. The fun is gone.

16-Nov-16
Easier said than done....those long, cold winter days its too easier to want to "cuddle up". My kids were born in October and November.

16-Nov-16
Lol, I've been thinking about that too...fortunately, kids aren't in the very near future plans (but accidents happen...). I have a buddy that just had their first child a few days ago. Fortunately for him, he shot a buck in mid-October, but I'm certain he was feeling the pressure as the due date approached. I plan on having a kid in summer when I won't be hunting or ice fishing lol.

16-Nov-16
Badger 19 - I wrote my own vows which includes things like I will smell like dirt at times and I can come into the house, I will leave our bed in the middle of the night and it's not for another woman, and from mid-October through gun season she will be practicing to be a widow as I will not be around and I not do any honey do lists during that time. I didn't take a honeymoon as we got married and I went bear hunting for a week with my dad. I get you love her but your getting a big - COME-ON MAN!

16-Nov-16
Badger 19 - I wrote my own vows which includes things like I will smell like dirt at times and I can come into the house, I will leave our bed in the middle of the night and it's not for another woman, and from mid-October through gun season she will be practicing to be a widow as I will not be around and I not do any honey do lists during that time. I didn't take a honeymoon as we got married and I went bear hunting for a week with my dad. I get you love her but your getting a big - COME-ON MAN!

16-Nov-16
I will be at my cabin in Burnnet County hunting public land. Plan on sitting on a Ridge over looking a giant swamp. If it is as windy as they predict opening day I will try still hunting through the thickets surrounding the swamp.

16-Nov-16
Since we had booked the honeymoon a few months ago, I was able to parlay that into convincing her that I needed to get out bow hunting more since she's taking this week away from me. It seems to have worked so far, but it is going to kill me a little bit inside missing out this year...

16-Nov-16
I will be out there but mostly for tradition and hanging out with family. I like to get my deer with a bow, not much interest with a gun. The noise of gun shots and seeing the orange army is not fun for me.

16-Nov-16

16-Nov-16
Badger ok that was a wise trade. Next year she goes on a hunting vacation with you, Elk, Antelope, or Africa all would be a good trade off for missing this year's gun season. I would miss the orange army for those trips yearly.

16-Nov-16
Will b sitting. In a tag alder n ash swamp. In the north county!

16-Nov-16
20 ft up in a ladder stand in a big smooth barked hickory. I will be facing straight south, should have the winds to my back if its north. Even though I will be freezing my tail off, I usually see a decent amount of deer on this stand with a north or northwest wind so I'm kinda pumped.

The cold . I'll deal with.

The high winds. Annoying, but I can handle.

The rain. I'll punch the alarm and roll over in bed. ZZZ

16-Nov-16
Brush blind, edge of clear cut. Hoping to the see the buck with daggers on his bases that I saw at the end of October fleetingly.

17-Nov-16
My 10 y/o son and I will be sitting in our new 4x6 "hunting cabin" as my wife calls it with a big bowl-shaped area beneath us. We can see a lot 150 yards in front of us (west), 40 yards to the south and 60 yards to the east.

17-Nov-16
I will be in my stand on the edge of a big swamp. If it gets too crappy I will crawl into one of my shooting houses with a heater and be out of the weather. Gun season is usually a busy opening weekend with my Uncles and cousin. A lot of good times....Thanks Dad!

18-Nov-16
I'll be in southern Douglas county, perched in a ladder stand overlooking a 5 yr old clear cut - good luck to everyone

18-Nov-16
Work kept me from bow hunting at all this year and I only get opening day gun season then back to work through New Years. 10,000 acres to hunt 10 people total so do I shoot the 180 typical or the 220 non typical? Good luck to all and be safe.

18-Nov-16
In a tripod stand in the bottom staying out of the wind as much as possible. Not sure what will move with all that wind coming.

18-Nov-16
Badger, sounds like you will be carrying an ace in your wallet for some time.

As for opening day of gun, we might be sitting in the cabin most of the day if the wind in Sawyer/Bayfield/Washburn counties is as bad as they say. Or maybe sitting on the ground in a low spot. We should not see much snow so that is a relief.

18-Nov-16
I just picked up my ML last night. Its rusted pretty badly. I'm going to take the time off next week to hopefully get it shootable again.

Any guys that have advice or chemicals to use or not use shoot me a PM

18-Nov-16
Drill during deer season! Is that even legal in WI? Lol I was in for 8yrs and was fortunate to only miss one deer season due to deployment. I sure am glad we never had drill during gun season. Thank you son for his service for me!

29-Nov-16

someone had PM'd me asking for more detailed pictures of my stand. So here are a few more. Unfortunately, I was not able take more second weekend, as planned, as I was forced to stay home from Thursday on, due to severe sickness. only the second time since 1981, that I have not hunted second weekend.

29-Nov-16

29-Nov-16
Even though I'm not a fan of big condo stands on the landscape (personal preference), yours at least blends in better than most I've seen Damp, nice work.

29-Nov-16
Dampland hope your doing better .

• Sitka Gear