awh302 18-Nov-16
Jeff in MN 19-Nov-16
Dampland 21-Nov-16
casekiska 21-Nov-16
xtroutx 21-Nov-16
bowhuntndoug 22-Nov-16
Crusader dad 23-Nov-16
18-Nov-16
Just thought I would lighten things up here. I hope it wont get derailed. Thought it would be fun to here some uncommon stories of successful hunts in the past. Here is mine........ Bow season 2014 Marinette county. I was hunting hard all season, hit a very nice 10pt mid oct. followed blood to private land and the owner that lives directly behind me gave me very limited access and my deer was never recovered. Heart broken I continued hunting hard for the next 3 weeks with no success. On Nov 15th I was sitting on the couch (still in my pajamas) at 9am watching the news and got up to get another cup of coffee. While doing so I looked out the kitchen window and saw a beautiful buck walking through the edge of the woods towards the house. I yelled to my wife to come a look at this "huge buck". I stood at the window for maybe 30 seconds watching him then it dawned on me "its bow season you idiot get your bow" I had my wife stand at the patio door and watch it while I frantically ran to the basement to get my bow. When I got to the top of the stairs I realized I didn't grab my release so back downstairs I ran. By now the dog is barking with all the comostion and my wife is yelling for me to hurry up. As I get to the patio door he has now already crossed though the back yard and is walking though the edge of the woods on the side of the house. I had about 5 secs to get a shot. I stepped outside in the backyard, drew back and bagged a 12pt 138 pope and young buck. Now I know there will be some on here that say......that is not hunting........there is no sportsmanship in that.....so on and so forth. I put hours and hours in every year scouting , setting up blinds and sitting in good weather and bad, including late season in extreme weather. I feel I was rewarded for all my years of hard work and I wasn't going to let and opportunity like that pass me by. Who says" you wont get anything by sitting on the couch." lol Hope to hear some other fun stories by others.

18-Nov-16
Awesome story! Goes to show that sometimes despite all our efforts it boils down to being at the right place at the right time.

Did you at least put your slippers on?

18-Nov-16
With a few inches of snow on the ground I was lucky they were by the door and I was able to get them 1/2 on at least.

18-Nov-16
Did you remember to put your back tag on? Maybe best if you don't answer. ;-)

18-Nov-16
Backtag? We don't need no stinking backtag!!

18-Nov-16
This was during gun season in Illinois but my brother walked to his stand and pushed a great 8 pointer out to me. I took aim and missed all 3 shots. Low and behold the hunter at the other end of the field woke up from his nap due to my shots and put 1 fatal shot in the buck.

19-Nov-16
Sidekick, that story says it was from 2014.

21-Nov-16
Sidekick .... I got the joke!

21-Nov-16
Most Unusual Bow Kill

On November 15, 2002 I arrived up at my hunting property/cabin about 8:00 a.m., got my gear unpacked and by 9:00 was going to go out for a "rest of the day sit." My archery target is about 50 yards from the cabin and I have to walk right past it to get to my stands. I got in the habit of shooting about a half-dozen arrows into the target on the way out. Then I'd leave 'em in the target and pull them after hunting on the way back to the cabin. On that day I shot two or three arrows when I thought I heard some noise off in the thick brush. I shot one more arrow and then was sure I could hear a deer coming at a fast walk. Sure enough, at 30 yards, out walks a nice eight point! I dropped the field point tipped practice arrow I had in my hand and grabbed a broadhead tipped arrow from my bow quiver, nocked it, drew, aimed, and shot. I doubled lunged him and then I heard him drop fifty yards off. That was probably my easiest ever bow kill. We named him the "Target Buck".

21-Nov-16
Luckily you were on your way to sit and had broadheads with you. A once in a lifetime situation. Good story....Thanks for sharing it.

22-Nov-16
I was invited to help a coworker setup his stands better for bow hunting. He had never shot a deer with a bow. If I did I could hunt the farm. I moved every stand. I then grabbed a stand to hunt an area of the farm he didn't hunt. I went in and set up a stand. I had to cut a branch in the stand before I could shoot. Before the branch was cut a deer came in. I cut the branch and shot the deer. It ran within 30 yards of my car and fell. I didn't field dress the deer and put it my car after tagging it. I drove down to where the coworker was and he was still getting dressed into different camo. I hunted less than 20 minutes on the farm and he was in his 4th year. I did not get invited back to get to hunt there. Still a great hunt. He shot a deer yearly after moving his stands.

23-Nov-16

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
Crusader dad's embedded Photo
My first deer, I left the cabin after lunch on our second to last day. In my trail about 80 yds from the cabin is a spike standing there watching me. I was maybe 40 yds from him. I injected my shell and fired. He ran past me and died in the cabins backyard not 20 feet from the fire pit.

• Sitka Gear