Brotsky 21-Nov-16
Dakota 21-Nov-16
dakotaduner 22-Nov-16
Dakota 23-Nov-16
Animal Killer 30-Nov-16
19-Nov-16

Dakota's embedded Photo
Dakota's embedded Photo
What a great day. It has been a long time since I've shot a deer and thanks to Jessica Holmes and Kacie Turvibille and my two little spotters TJ and Janie I got it done yesterday. Right after we started to make a loop around a Riverbend we saw a nice Buck on the neighbors property. Not much we could do so we just looked at him a little while and continued. We got to a little hill overlooking the river, a brushy draw and a Sagebrush flat where we had seen deer before and just waited while watching some does hoping for a good buck to come out. We just barely got settled in and Jessica starts to get a little excited. A really nice buck is chasing a doe right towards us. Now try to imagine this. I have a shooting rig that has a joystick to move the gun around. Once I am on target I suck on a straw that activates a solenoid to pull the trigger. Kacie is helping me and I just start to get the buck in the scope and he takes a couple steps. I once again get him in the scope and he trots 20 feet and stops again. This happened four or five times until they are out of sight. So close but no cigar. We are all pretty excited and talking about what just happened. We settle in once again watching the area hoping maybe they well come back. We do this for actually a couple hours. We have deer all in front of us but just no shooters. It didn't take long and Jessica cannot take it anymore and wants to sneak over and see if the buck on the neighbors is gone and if it was possibly him that came by us. She can't sit still very long kind of like her dad. Sure enough she gets back and he is gone so we suspect that it was him. This has been a really good place to sit so we just sit. The girls are doing really good. They are being fairly quiet and sharing their snacks and not arguing too much. The little girls are behaving also. After a couple hours we are running out of time so we decide to make things happen. Out and around a big Riverbend and in the direction the buck went we go. Sure enough Jessica starts to get a little excited again. Her and Kacie can see him. Now here we have two grown women who are trying to whisper to be quiet but their whisperers are really high pitched and squeaky. It was hilarious. Just about the time we see him he sees us and then lays down. He was in a really brushy area with 3 foot tall Sagebrush all around. Kacie was able to get a range with a rangefinder and it was 320 yards. Not too bad. We kept creeping forward and yes once again Jessica gets a little excited. She can see a horn. We have four pairs of binoculars but only one pair of binoculars was worth a hoot so they keep passing them back and forth. In the meantime the two little girls have fallen asleep and while we were driving across the rough pasture and Sagebrush we had to keep making sure they were not falling out of their car seats because they were out. Kacie ranges him again and he is 283 yard laying down and seems pretty calm. Perfect I thought. We get everything ready and now we just need him to stand up. As luck would have it the noise from a airline jet way up in the air was just loud enough for him to stand up. When he did he was perfect in the crosshairs and I shot. He took two jumps and we could not see him anymore. About then Jessica said Whitetail don't usually get me to excited but this one is making me shake. We waited about 20 min. to let everything settle down before we went looking. Several does came out of the area but no buck so we were enthusiastic. We all agreed we could hear the classic "thud" of a hit. It just got too rough and brushy to go any further, so Jessica goes and looks at the area he was standing. Kacie and I knew he was down when Jessica starts to hoop and holler. Jessica and Kacie started dragging him back. I didn't realize it at the time but he had a huge body. It sure tuckered them out. Kacie said my adrenaline is going and I need to sit down a little while. Now what do we do? He is way too big to fit in the back of the van. About then Jessica's husband Casey and uncle Dale show up. Perfect timing. We took lots of pictures and took care of the deer. Now I have to find space both on the wall and in the freezer for him. Thanks to everybody that helped me out. It is truly appreciated. A special thanks to Joe and Cindy for letting me hunt and Dale for the processing.

19-Nov-16

Dakota's embedded Photo
Dakota's embedded Photo

19-Nov-16
Wow! How sweet is that! Congrats!

19-Nov-16
Nice buck! Way to overcome adversity and create great memories.

20-Nov-16
Fabulous!Congrats!

21-Nov-16
Way to go Randy! That's awesome! Congrats on a beautiful buck!

21-Nov-16
Thanks everybody

22-Nov-16
Wow that's a great deer. Congrats and some excellent pics to remember the day. Beautiful deer.

23-Nov-16
Thanks again. I had a great time. I'm going to mount him and put the story and pictures around the mount. It sure is something to remember.

30-Nov-16
Congrats Randy!! Great deer!!

• Sitka Gear